Touch Aversion

MMJ

Always have been. One of my earliest memories of my Grandfather picking me up and trying to give me a kiss on the cheek. I was repulsed. I was 3 or 4 years old. It's a memory that's stayed with me forever and I never really understood. My Grandfather never hurt me or touched me inappropriately, but I could not STAND the man touching me or kissing my goodbye. My Grandmother I climbed all over. <shrug>

I've been described as the cuddliest porcupine you could ever meet. I love to cuddle. I hang all over my friends. We hold hands and lay our heads on each others shoulders and hug and lock arms and skip. But I can't abide strangers touching me even accidentally. I strongly consider myself touch adverse and sometimes it makes me sad. There are times when I snap at my own kids for touching me. :( Then I feel like a real jerk.

Funny side note, my dog is touch adverse too. She only responds to females. She comes to me when she wants attention, but it's all on her. If I touch her when she hasn't initiated contact, she'll get up and leave. Like right now, she's sleeping on the couch next to me. Her rump is millimeters from my foot. I mean, we are just barely not touching. However, if I move my foot at all and touch her - she's going to give me a dirty look. If I were to keep going, she would get up, mean mug me again, and then go lay elsewhere. hahahhhahah My animals are my mirrors.

It's actually something I've been trying to overcome. I don't mind being a cuddly porcupine, but I think it's costing me potential positive interactions with people.

My parents have a picture of me as a toddler with my hands balled into fists at my sides; I look like Popeye. Until about grad school, I did not touch others and never welcomed folks to touch me. I began hugging people around 24 years old, because some folks seemed to really need a hug and I was more inclined to be giving in some cases. I'll shake people's hand but I'm not into touching. I'm not against it. It's more like an immense distraction, where I am constantly aware of being touched. It's annoying.

I also cannot stand when people whisper in my ear. It sends shivers down my spine and makes me want to run :ph34r:

I wish I could feel comfortable expressing myself to my close friends and family through touching and being touched. Some of my very close girl friends will often try to hug or cuddle with me and I end up going through the motions, but it's evident that I feel uncomfortable. I wish I didn't have this type of reaction because it makes me feel like I can't fully embrace the bond I have with those important to me. I know they can feel how uncomfortable I am in those situations(unless I've had a bit to drink), and I don't want it to make them feel like our wavelength isn't as strong because of it. I'm sure there's a type of therapy that specializes with this, but in the end I still have a wonderful bond with those close to me, with or without physical aversion. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and while this might not be one of my strengths, there's a whole arsenal I do have that far outweigh my weaknesses.

• 6 months later...
Non-Verbal Sam

aspergers makes me jumpy about people touching me

i can handle it now but not in public

Apart from my parents and brother, I absolutely hate it esp people I don't know trying to hug me and kiss me on the cheek eeeerrrrghhh

Archived