Sounds and words you can't stand

Waist of Thyme

Waist of Thyme

I hate hearing ambulance sirens. One time I was in a hotel that was across the street from a hospital, so I heard them frequently and from very close by. They were so loud it was almost physically painful. I have no idea how I can still hear after that.

I don't know why, but I also really hate when someone says "Mmmmm" when they eat food that tastes good. It's such an annoying and unpleasant sound. It makes me want to bash my head into a wall until it starts bleeding, then cry intensely while cuddling a bunny. Why do people even make that noise?

The ambulance one I can empathize with. Loud noises and sounds - dogs barking, obnoxiously loud music, crows of talking people - they make me really anxious. I'm okay when the people are silent, like when I used to go to this really big church, but I went to a small concert once and had to leave, the loud noise made me so antsy.

One noise I absolutely will not tolerate is when kids whine. Aside from the fact that it's annoying, I hate that fake-cry sound they're so good at. Drives me up the wall.A kid starts crying or whining, I straight up leave the room. My step mother had her nephews over one night, I took a two hour long walk around the neighborhood because they wouldn't stop yelling or screaming or crying or something.

That and white noise or static, like the sound the television makes when you lose signal.

On the other hand, I love the sound of a car going over a bridge. We have a few small bridges around where I live and I always make a point to roll the windows down and turn off the music when I drive over them. I don't know why I love that sound so much.

I really hate use of the term "feels". Couldn't tell you why, I just loathe it

The sound of cardboard scraping together. Ugh, it's the worse. I'm also just generally sensitive to any loud sirens or bangs.

I hate the word ni. Especially when knights say it.

Oh, and babies crying make me want to toss them out a window. They really need a lesson from kittens and puppies on how to cry cutely.

Touchofinsight

Screaming/happy children.. it just annoys the crap out of me. Its not anything deep like oh I had a bad child hood and I am jealous they just make the most annoying sounds..

Especially when little boys scream with that high pitch ughhhhhhhhh..

This also stems from the fact that I enjoy a more quiet controlled environment when I am enjoying my hobbies...

And vaccums... even when i am vaccuming.. its just loud and obnoxious

Children making noise. Yes, in general.

Yes, there are still people who try to encourage me to have them. I can't imagine why.

That sound people make when they're kissing. And I don't mean a simple lip kiss. I mean the big, wet, and sloppy smacking sound they make when they french kiss. Yuck.

Chewing drives me crazy. And I'm capable of murder if you eat an apple in my vicinity.

Touchofinsight

Oh I forgot one.. the sound of metal forks/spoons scraping against people's teeth or my own...

Its weird it makes me cringe a little.. I don't get it.

Captain Darkhorse

I can't stand the word petite. Especially if it's spoken.

I also really hate the washer/dryer buzzer.

Arctic_Revenge

Nail biting, nail picking, kissing, sex, sex breathing, wet chewing, cats bathing... anything wet and gross and squishy really.

100000x worse if I can SEE the action happening. I get really violent if I hear these things. I drives me mad.

I hate the abbreviation 'celeb' for 'celebrity', it's just banal.

I hate the word 'yum' or any permutation such as 'yummy' or when someone says 'yum yum' referring to food they like. Bloody stupid!

And don't even get me started on the expression 'each and every'. Both words mean exactly the same thing, why insult my intelligence by using both?

SorryNotSorry

1. The sound of my birth name (first AND last)
2. Men with deep voices singing in high-pitched falsettos
3. Young girls screaming
4. Overdriven electric guitars
5. Pianos
6. That screeching noise parrots make

7. Spanglish

8. That "-ie" usually tacked onto a term of endearment (what's wrong with "-o"?) Arrrgh!!! Kill!!! KILL!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Oh lots, noise bothers me a lot. I hate hearing people eating, especially apples (my colleague eats at least one every day at her desk, argh) and crisps. I don't understand why people make a noise eating; I don't. Ditto with the noise of people swallowing a drink. People constantly clearing their throats or coughing. People being noisy on trains - raucous laughter and such like. The sound a can of fizzy drink makes when it's opened, especially people drinking endless cans of beer on a long train journey, which also tends to increase the raucous laughter. Too many conversations going on at once in the office. Cars with boom boom boom music. Van doors sliding / slamming. My phone ringing - whoever it is, I usually want to be left alone. Clinking of cutlerly against glass - same colleague, daily yoghurt in a glass container thing (I do really like this colleague, actually!). The sound of all the glass breaking when it goes into the recycling lorry. Train brakes squealing. Train announcements, especially when you can't even hear what they are saying. Children being loud. Drunk people shouting drunkenly. People drumming their fingers / nails repeatedly on the desk. People with long false nails clacking on a keyboard. Car park barrier going up / down warning noise if you're stuck working near it and have to listen to it all day. Doors which slam. General house building noise that's been going on round the corner for at least 3 years now. Dogs barking.

Waist of Thyme

Oh, there's another one for me: the sound of a phone ringing. It makes me mad and anxious. Whenever I hear one ring, I just want to throw the phone on the ground and break it to make the noise go away.

I dread the day when I'll actually need one for job reasons.

IceHurricane

Basically what everyone mentioned above. Sirens, chewing, crying babies, dogs barking, slamming doors, vacuum cleaners, chalk on a chalkboard, cutlery scraping the dish, and squishy sounds. They all make me cringe.

the bumbling rotifer

Vacuum cleaners! They're so high pitched and painful.

And yes, phones are stressful.

chewing noises, loud kids, people slamming their fingers down onto the keyboard really hard.

I don't like people who go all lovey-dovey-sweetie-pie with their partners every three seconds in public. It's too much. Public displays of affection are fine, just don't overdo it.

I hate anything kids say. Both for grammar and for their voice. I can't stand kids at all :P

Rubbing chalks on a blackboard is also... ewwwww.

Children "laughing", or making noises of any kind.

The sound of the word 'lesbian'. Something about how that word sound when it's spoken just makes me want to puke.

The sound cotton balls make when you tear them apart... and how they feel.

Vacuum cleaning.

And the sound the snowplow makes when it scrapes against asphalt.

Doors slamming, people running up and down loud stairs, incessant chatter/gossip, loud groups of drunk women falling over in heels and giggling at 3am, loud groups of drunk men belching and cheering at 3am, children in general, fingernails scraping on paper, knocking at the door (especially loud and repeatedly), angry/ argumentative yelling...

Did I mention DOOR SLAMMING!

*has a fit and dies*

Pretty much anything loud or otherwise jarring.

I don't know why, but I also really hate when someone says "Mmmmm" when they eat food that tastes good. It's such an annoying and unpleasant sound. It makes me want to bash my head into a wall until it starts bleeding, then cry intensely while cuddling a bunny. Why do people even make that noise?

It's a more subdued version of a pleasurable moan. I won't get into what might cause THAT.

alpacaterpillar

I hate hearing other people eating or slurping in any way. To an extent myself as well.

Also really don't like the sound of the letter "T".

The word for "requirements" in Spanish.. I don't know, it's just annoying... "requisitos" XD

Archived