GETTING DRUNK!

Unbanned

How awesome is it to get drunk every now and then?! :D

I hardly ever drink (maybe once every few months) but when I do, I usually drink to get drunk. It just feels awesome not having to worry about anything until I wake up the next morning. Everything seems funny, everyone is nice, no one feels awkward any more! I drink just enough to feel free of everything, and then I can just enjoy the rest of the night. I especially love dancing whilst intoxicated. ^_^

Alcohol gets beaten up a lot in the media for being "detrimental to society", and it kind of makes sense. We're allowed to drink virtually unlimited amounts of a poison that severely affects our judgement, movement and emotions. People regularly die from alcohol poisoning. It's pretty weird if you think about it. But alcohol can also be a (relatively) safe, quick and simple antidote to our boring, everyday miseries; especially when consumed amongst friends in a friendly environment.

I know there are quite a few AVENites who don't like drinking or clubbing, and I think that's kind of sad. I don't do it often, but I have such a great time when I do. I just wish all of you could experience that at least once in your lives.

Is anyone else a big fan of drinking/big nights out/clubbing? If not, why not?

DISCUSS.

By the way, I am totally drunk right now. Please excuse my future self for these embarrassing ramblings.

enjoy_responsibly_logo.jpg

Here's my experience.

I rarely drink, but when I do, alcohol doesn't make me feel good, it makes me feel very tired and sleepy. Anything that I heard how it makes you happy, talkative, funny...Nothing like that happens to me and never had any good time. I avoid clubs because of crappy music and crowd, nothing to do with alcohol.

For others, good for you!

sound_the_bugle

I've never been drunk, and I don't ever really want to be. I have some pretty specific reasons for this:

1) I'm mildly terrified of being out of control of my own faculties. I'm kind of a control freak, not of other people, but of myself. I generally keep a pretty tight hold of my emotions (I rarely feel strong emotions, and it doesn't seem strange because it's no longer a conscious effort to control them - it leads to a level-headedness in myself that I am quite proud of). My control turned to grade perfectionism throughout high school. Luckily for me, appearance is the last thing I ever worry about, so my controlling nature is unlikely to ever turn to body image issues.

2) My family (mostly my father's side) has history of drug addictions of various sorts - hard drugs, alcohol, nicotine, caffeine. I generally stay away from addicting substances, or indulge very minorly in caffeine, because I don't want to be addicted.

3) I can't stand the taste of alcohol. My parents always gave me the option to taste their alcohol, so I know the taste of wine and champagne, but I never did taste beer because it just smells disgusting to me. Because it was available, I always tasted it rather than drank it, knew I disliked the taste, and it wasn't a novel thing for me.

4) I have no shame anyway. I'm that person who will gladly walk around dancing terribly for no other reason than I might as well and I don't care what other people think of me. Where's the benefit in getting drunk when I already have the shamelessness that people pride when they become drunk?

5) Probably because of that last reason, I have enough fun without alcohol. Why add something that has distinct negative consequences (like a hang over or vomiting, poor judgment, etc etc) when I have just as much fun as I want or need to have without those negative consequences in the first place?

All of those things said, I don't object to other people drinking responsibly and for fun. I just don't choose that for myself.

As for clubbing... I hate being around large numbers of new faces in a completely unstructured environment. That's just completely overwhelming and upsetting to me, and I can't handle it. Great for other people who like that! Just not something I choose for myself.

gypsy_princess

i drink at most 3 times a year, at a birthday party or a dinner with my friends.

i would like to get drunk just once, to see how it is, but i can't because

1- my parents would kill me

2- i'd be so worried and concentrated on myself getting drunk that i wouldn't enjoy it

3- i don't know how much to drink to get drunk

4- my parents would kill me

5- my parents would kill me

and

6- my parents would kill me

actually alchohol doesn't have an effect on me. i drink it, and i feel the same, just dizzier. i drink because i want to try new beverages, but that's all. they're not different from tea or chamomille, they just cost too much.

the bumbling rotifer

When I get tipsy I feel like my brain is skewed and full of stuffing, which I find unpleasant and interferes with my ability to do anything other than sleep, so I always just go home and go to sleep. I don't have a problem with the taste, just its effects.

In terms of clubbing - I'm afraid I find it a mixture of awkward, stressful and boring.

Edit - I sound like an incredibly boring person. I will mitigate this by saying that rather than clubbing, I'd rather have a bonfire on a beach somewhere after a day of extreme sports :)

I enjoy drinking somewhat regularly, but I don't drink until I get drunk. I just tend to get relaxed, and be a bit more social when I have had a drink or two.

Wouldn't call myself a fan, but yeah, getting drunk every once in a while can be fun. I like getting tipsy and then listening to music. I do tend to think less of people, however, when they say things like "I can't have fun unless I'm drunk." At that point, I think those people have a problem. Consuming alcohol isn't intrinsically a bad thing.

Clubbing, on the other hand, is right out. Been there, done that, didn't like it.

5) Probably because of that last reason, I have enough fun without alcohol. Why add something that has distinct negative consequences (like a hang over or vomiting, poor judgment, etc etc) when I have just as much fun as I want or need to have without those negative consequences in the first place?

To be fair, it's very easy to avoid those "negative consequences" if one knows one's limits. I haven't been sick in years, and I've never made a really bad decision that I regretted the next morning. Sure, I've done things that were a little embarrassing, but most of the people around me were also drunk at the time so they didn't make a big deal of it.

i drink it, and i feel the same, just dizzier.

You've been drunk, then. Alcoholic intoxication is really obvious if you've never experienced it before. I remember the first time I was drunk, I had way too much and was like "WOAH WTF IS HAPPENING???????" I couldn't walk straight and was blurting out useless shit to people I'd only met that night.

I enjoy drinking somewhat regularly, but I don't drink until I get drunk. I just tend to get relaxed, and be a bit more social when I have had a drink or two.

You don't drink to get drunk? Or you do? Sorry, your post was kind of confusing. I'm not really crazy or anything either. I just feel a lot more comfortable talking to people (especially those I'm meeting for the first time) and tend to think less, or worry less, about doing things that I otherwise might be nervous about.

sound_the_bugle

I've never been drunk, and I don't ever really want to be. I have some pretty specific reasons for this:

1) I'm mildly terrified of being out of control of my own faculties. I'm kind of a control freak, not of other people, but of myself. I generally keep a pretty tight hold of my emotions (I rarely feel strong emotions, and it doesn't seem strange because it's no longer a conscious effort to control them - it leads to a level-headedness in myself that I am quite proud of). My control turned to grade perfectionism throughout high school. Luckily for me, appearance is the last thing I ever worry about, so my controlling nature is unlikely to ever turn to body image issues.

2) My family (mostly my father's side) has history of drug addictions of various sorts - hard drugs, alcohol, nicotine, caffeine. I generally stay away from addicting substances, or indulge very minorly in caffeine, because I don't want to be addicted.

3) I can't stand the taste of alcohol. My parents always gave me the option to taste their alcohol, so I know the taste of wine and champagne, but I never did taste beer because it just smells disgusting to me. Because it was available, I always tasted it rather than drank it, knew I disliked the taste, and it wasn't a novel thing for me.

4) I have no shame anyway. I'm that person who will gladly walk around dancing terribly for no other reason than I might as well and I don't care what other people think of me. Where's the benefit in getting drunk when I already have the shamelessness that people pride when they become drunk?

All of those things said, I don't object to other people drinking responsibly and for fun. I just don't choose that for myself.

As for clubbing... I hate being around large numbers of new faces in a completely unstructured environment. That's just completely overwhelming and upsetting to me, and I can't handle it. Great for other people who like that! Just not something I choose for myself.

i drink at most 3 times a year, at a birthday party or a dinner with my friends.

i would like to get drunk just once, to see how it is, but i can't because

1- my parents would kill me

2- i'd be so worried and concentrated on myself getting drunk that i wouldn't enjoy it

4- my parents would kill me

5- my parents would kill me

and

6- my parents would kill me

actually alchohol doesn't have an effect on me. i drink it, and i feel the same, just dizzier. i drink because i want to try new beverages, but that's all. they're not different from tea or chamomille, they just cost too much.

You don't drink to get drunk? Or you do? Sorry, your post was kind of confusing. I'm not really crazy or anything either. I just feel a lot more comfortable talking to people (especially those I'm meeting for the first time) and tend to think less, or worry less, about doing things that I otherwise might be nervous about.

I don't drink (alcohol) at all. I think the last time I tasted an alcoholic drink was last winter when my mom asked me to taste a fruity alcoholic drink out of curiosity to see if she could find something I'd actually like the taste of. She thought the alcohol taste was entirely masked. I'm not so sure. Before that, the last time I'd tasted alcohol was a few winters prior when my parents gave us all champagne on New Year's. I took a couple sips and passed my glass to my brother because I disliked the taste.

But I'm not sure if your question was addressed to SquirrelTail or each person you quoted, so I don't even know if I was meant to answer this question.

When I've had a little bit to drink, I feel more in control of myself. But "a little bit" and "too much" can be a bit too fine of a line.

I'm not planning to drink alcohol until I'm of legal age and even then getting drunk doesn't sound appealing to me. Why drink just for the sake of drinking? Some alcohol to go with a meal, or to celebrate something, sure. But I don't want to do something stupid under the influence of alcohol and don't want to feel sick afterwards. I don't like it when people are drunk around me, it makes me very nervous and frustrated. Especially when my 15 year old friend drinks to her depression, I feel awful. We're friends over the internet so I can't even physically help her. ): I've had mostly bad experiences with drunk people, they just turn so weird and are not themselves any more. I wouldn't want to cause others the same distress that I feel.

I've never been drunk and will never ever be. I don't see the fun in being drunk. I look at drunk people and I can't see what they find so fun, when they all wake up the next morning feeling sick, being sick, regretting what they did or quite frankly not remembering. I've had to spend a lot of my life watching people I know get drunk and do things they regret, getting with guys they wish they hadn't, falling pregnant when they shouldn't, and other such things so I vowed never to drink. I won't ever touch the stuff.

A lot of it comes from my sister. Too many times I've had to sit there when she comes in several hours later than was agreed (with me babysitting) with her in tears over what she's done, and looking at me with bleary eyes going 'you're going to have to help me in the morning' and all I want to say is 'how about you DRINK less so you can actually FUNCTION PROPERLY without help'.

Sorry. The issue of drinking and alcohol is a very touchy subject for me.

Edit: Though I should also add that even if I didn't have a dim view of alcohol, I hate the taste of the stuff anyway. XD

gypsy_princess

i drink it, and i feel the same, just dizzier.

You've been drunk, then. Alcoholic intoxication is really obvious if you've never experienced it before. I remember the first time I was drunk, I had way too much and was like "WOAH WTF IS HAPPENING???????" I couldn't walk straight and was blurting out useless shit to people I'd only met that night.

actually i think that i wasn't fully drunk. i mean, drunk people say pointless things, they can't feel they're drunk, they feel less shy... i felt just dizzy, walked a little less straight, laughed more and kept thinking "oh shit i'm so embarassed. i didn't want to drink". so i don't know.

Being tipsy is pretty great, being drunk to the point of stumbling around and throwing up - not so great. Nevertheless, I don't drink all that much simply because I don't like the taste of alcohol. As for the club scene, it's not my cup of tea. It's too crowded, loud, and I have no interest in dancing.

I like alcohol, and like to try out different kinds. Getting buzzed or tipsy feels nice, but that is my limit, and while out drinking, I refrain from having more alcohol until I'm feeling more sober. I don't want to get totally drunk, because of the many risks that come with it.

But I'm not sure if your question was addressed to SquirrelTail or each person you quoted, so I don't even know if I was meant to answer this question.

My bad. I did mean to reply to your post, but I accidentally hit 'Save Changes' before I'd finished typing my response. It's up now if you want to check it out. Again, sorry for the error. One of the hazards of drinking, I guess. :D

I've never been drunk and will never ever be. I don't see the fun in being drunk. I look at drunk people and I can't see what they find so fun, when they all wake up the next morning feeling sick, being sick, regretting what they did or quite frankly not remembering. I've had to spend a lot of my life watching people I know get drunk and do things they regret, getting with guys they wish they hadn't, falling pregnant when they shouldn't, and other such things so I vowed never to drink. I won't ever touch the stuff.

A lot of it comes from my sister. Too many times I've had to sit there when she comes in several hours later than was agreed (with me babysitting) with her in tears over what she's done, and looking at me with bleary eyes going 'you're going to have to help me in the morning' and all I want to say is 'how about you DRINK less so you can actually FUNCTION PROPERLY without help'.

Sorry. The issue of drinking and alcohol is a very touchy subject for me.

Edit: Though I should also add that even if I didn't have a dim view of alcohol, I hate the taste of the stuff anyway. XD

That sucks that you've never had any good experiences with alcohol. :(

As I said earlier, I think the media gives a really bad representation of alcohol. I kind of think it's good (after all, alcohol is a poison and it would be retarded if the media encouraged us all to drink more of it), but it's also bad. A lot of people (especially those who've never been drunk before) seem to think that alcohol takes full control away from oneself, but it simply isn't true. If I manage my drinking and make sure I don't go above my limit, I can feel totally comfortable within my body and make rational and safe decisions. Even the few times I have been smashed, I have still managed to retain my decency. It all comes down to your personality. If you're thoughtful and introspective, you will be able to function fairly normally. Sure, you might not be able to do complex maths calculations in the normal time it would take you, but you also won't be falling over in the gutter and going home with random strangers that you'd normally avoid. The drunk people you see on the news aren't thinking. They're just letting themselves go for the ride, which can be really dangerous if they've had a lot to drink.

actually i think that i wasn't fully drunk. i mean, drunk people say pointless things, they can't feel they're drunk, they feel less shy... i felt just dizzy, walked a little less straight, laughed more and kept thinking "oh shit i'm so embarassed. i didn't want to drink". so i don't know.

Trust me; you were drunk.

There are differing levels of intoxication, but you were definitely drunk.

I dont drink at all. I passed my driving test at 17, and given that the only alcholic stuff Id tasted that I liked was more the alcopop stuff anyway...I just stick to pop then I can drive home and not have to worry about finding a taxi at arse o'clock! My friends are awesome too, they always chip in for petrol, or drinks or buy me a pizza at the end of the night since they're saving on paying for a taxi to get home, and it takes a lot of pressure off a night for all of us as there is no fretting about getting home at the end of it.

I like clubbing though. I was a bit of a latecomer to it, only really going for my first proper night out at 24, but I do enjoy it. Not every week, but a once every few weeks kind of thing, if I havent been out for a while, I start itching for it and have to round up the troops! Thing is, in the right company, its great fun. I really went off it for a long while after nights out with one group of friends took a different turn because they were all newly single and wanted to go out...every week...to the exact same places at the exact same times...and chase boys like we were still 17. I go out now with another group of friends and its much more enjoyable. More spontaneous, less organised, and way more relaxed.

I tend to drink energy drinks now. When I did drink, it just made me sleepy anyway, so drinking energy drinks makes me far more interesting than alcohol ever dd!

I used to be straight-edge and all that shit, and then I actually got drunk one night... and now I'm the first one who gets wasted at parties

I have a friend who used to insist he was straight edge, yet every time we went out he ended up getting ridiculously drunk. I think he's given up now, although we still like to tease him now and then:

"You're having a drink?! I thought you were straight edge!" :D

I dont drink at all. I passed my driving test at 17, and given that the only alcholic stuff Id tasted that I liked was more the alcopop stuff anyway...I just stick to pop then I can drive home and not have to worry about finding a taxi at arse o'clock! My friends are awesome too, they always chip in for petrol, or drinks or buy me a pizza at the end of the night since they're saving on paying for a taxi to get home, and it takes a lot of pressure off a night for all of us as there is no fretting about getting home at the end of it.

I like clubbing though. I was a bit of a latecomer to it, only really going for my first proper night out at 24, but I do enjoy it. Not every week, but a once every few weeks kind of thing, if I havent been out for a while, I start itching for it and have to round up the troops! Thing is, in the right company, its great fun. I really went off it for a long while after nights out with one group of friends took a different turn because they were all newly single and wanted to go out...every week...to the exact same places at the exact same times...and chase boys like we were still 17. I go out now with another group of friends and its much more enjoyable. More spontaneous, less organised, and way more relaxed.

I tend to drink energy drinks now. When I did drink, it just made me sleepy anyway, so drinking energy drinks makes me far more interesting than alcohol ever dd!

Good for you!

The designated driver is an important member of any drinking party! I usually fill the role at house parties (since we generally sit around talking and I don't feel like drinking it that kind of situation) and it has earned me a lot of praise over the years. I can remember the locations of all of my friends houses as a result...even if I've only ever been there to drop them off! :D

Is anyone else a big fan of drinking/big nights out/clubbing? If not, why not?

Yes I am.

I hate alcohol and would never try it because a lot of my family are/were alcoholics, because of that I've seen what it can do to people. People tend to use alcohol to get away from the world and while they are using it they are different and they change. Over all the affects alcohol have are not worth having it ever had been created.

Blood-of-Cherries

If I drink too much I just want to go to bed and sleep for hours, I'm so boring.

I like alcohol, but don't drink much, and I like to drink alone mostly, not at a party context.

I am not a big drinker, and I am very much afraid of ever getting drunk, so I always stop myself at the right time. A big part of my fear of being drunk comes from knowing that I am alone, and feeling like I need to stay in control of myself since there is literally no one around to look out for me.

I don't drink. I mean... I'll have alcohol, but I never get past tipsy. I have a huge fear of losing control and a phobia of vomit/vomiting. I don't like what excessive alcohol does to the body, either. So I've never been drunk and don't plan on it.

I don't have any particular fondness for alcohol or getting drunk. I'm simple in the regard that if it tastes good (usually sweet flavored), I'll drink it - but I find beer and hard liquor to be pretty gross. The only thing I do enjoy are mixed drinks.

To date I've only gotten drunk twice, once was at a dinner party my roommates and I were hosting. The second as last month when I went out with some coworkers and I tried a Long Island Iced Tea for the first time. I had only meant to try one, but my coworkers ended up buying all of them so I had 3 overall.

I don't drink alcohol to relieve stress or make things less boring. I'm rarely stressed and with both circumstances I feel alcohol doesn't actually change your situation, you just become numb to it. I prefer facing problems head on. Or leaving boring events.

Oooh, confession time for me! :D

I'm a teetotal because I hate the taste of alcohol (yeah, I've tried it, I didn't like ANY of the MANY drinks I've had). I don't get why people would want to get drunk every Saturday night, given that 1) it's damaging for one's body, 2) losing control of yourself that often isn't so great, and 3) car crashes can happen a lot more when you're drunk. It's dangerous.

However, I want to get drunk just *once* in my life, in a safe environment (i.e. at home, and with a few friends that I know I can trust). One of them should be sober and film me. I want to watch a tape of my drunken self when I'm sober, because I bet it'd be funnier than anything I've seen so far :P

...I'm kind of unlucky, though. I tried half a glass of brandy (40% alcoholic rate) and I was completely sober thereafter. I had already had beer and wine BEFORE that, too. Nothing of it worked and I just had to stop drinking because I couldn't stand taking in any more bitter liquids. Fun fact: on that day, I was with three people, one of which was my best friend; I was the only teetotal, the one who drank the most, and the ONLY one who wasn't affected by drinking in the slightest. So I got to watch them while they were half-drunk. Still pretty fun XD

Honestly I probably drink a little too much. Not very often but when i do, I drink too much too fast and it takes a while to catch up with me. I like being drunk because its the only time i don't feel any social anxiety. I wish I could keep the confidence it gives me without the drunk part.

i had alcohol for about 3 years from 16 to 19 years old (wait have i confessed to a crime?). i stopped drinking as i didn't like the taste and the idea of drinking. it just wasn't my thing.

some people take it as a personal insult for a person to not be drinking alcohol in their company. i don't like being in those peoples company but i have so few friends, i can't really make demands on my friends choice of friends. i am sure if i was coordinated enough to drive, my phone would be busy on a satudray night :D.

Oooh, confession time for me! :D

I'm a teetotal because I hate the taste of alcohol (yeah, I've tried it, I didn't like ANY of the MANY drinks I've had). I don't get why people would want to get drunk every Saturday night, given that 1) it's damaging for one's body, 2) losing control of yourself that often isn't so great, and 3) car crashes can happen a lot more when you're drunk. It's dangerous.

However, I want to get drunk just *once* in my life, in a safe environment (i.e. at home, and with a few friends that I know I can trust). One of them should be sober and film me. I want to watch a tape of my drunken self when I'm sober, because I bet it'd be funnier than anything I've seen so far :P

...I'm kind of unlucky, though. I tried half a glass of brandy (40% alcoholic rate) and I was completely sober thereafter. I had already had beer and wine BEFORE that, too. Nothing of it worked and I just had to stop drinking because I couldn't stand taking in any more bitter liquids. Fun fact: on that day, I was with three people, one of which was my best friend; I was the only teetotal, the one who drank the most, and the ONLY one who wasn't affected by drinking in the slightest. So I got to watch them while they were half-drunk. Still pretty fun XD

I sort of did this... I don't have any interest in getting drunk at a party or a bar, but I tried it at home in a safe environment... people laugh when I say it was a scientific experiment, but I think it really was. It seems alcohol affects different people differently... I lost much of my anxiety, and thought almost everything was funny, but had absolutely no desire to go drunk driving, pick fights at bars, or get horny... none of the usual drunk stereotypes.

I don't do it very often, but yeah...when I do, it's fun. I'm into cocktails/"girly drinks"/whatever, but recently I've also been getting into whiskey.

I didn't really start drinking until I was 22 (sadly, the Taylor Swift song hadn't been released yet), but now I kinda realise what I was missing out on. I just get really friendly...dancing with strangers, making "friends" with people on the street and telling my friends secrets that I'd never normally tell them.

I've probably been lucky (and/or sensible?) in that I've never been sick or in any kind of trouble from drinking. I know people who become aggressive, depressed or just stupid from drinking, so I'm glad it doesn't have that effect on me!

Archived