Is there a difference between agender and neutrois

.Mari

This probably is not a good place to ask but idfk.

I used to call myself agender but most - no wait, all other agendered people I've come across say they are genderless but are fine with their bodies.

I'm the opposite, I'm fine with female pronouns and being called a girl, or being called a boy, I actually don't care at all. But I really want a genderless (sexless?) body and I do feel some kind of dysphoria or discomfort from it.

I'm gonna be pissed off if I'm the only one like this jfc

ObsessedWithCats

I'm similar - I would rather have a neutral body but I'l take any pronouns you want to throw at me (except 'it', because clowns). I'm fine with being thought of as a girl or a boy, though neither's quite right they're both OK.

I feel the label of genderless fits me because I don't feel that I have a gender, but my preference for a neutral body would make me more agenderish.

Neutrois and agender are used interchangeably. They are the same. But both terms can mean a range of things such as null, neutral, neither male or female but a "third" gender or genderless entirely.

Dysphoria or lack thereof does not affect gender identity itself.

You are not alone. I've met other people who share your feelings, and there are neutrois users on AVEN. That said, yes, there is a difference, and it seems you all ready know it: generally an agender person doesn't mind their body, whereas someone who is neutrois may experience dysphoria much like a transsexual and seek surgery/etc. People sometimes use terms like FtN or MtN. Agender and neutrois can be used interchangeably, but neutrois usually has this distinction to it. AVEN Wiki.

I actually used to be neutrois in the past and endured agonising gender dysphoria, but I made a serious effort to learn to like my body and it worked out well in the end, so I don't experience that anymore and identify as agender. I don't mean to say this to tell others what to do, though, or to imply it's simple; it was insanely hard for me, I was just determined. Admittedly, it helps that I'm naturally androgynous, for which I'm really grateful, but you know-- it's the sex of my body that was the problem; androgyny didn't make the pain go away on its own. Bottom line: even though it's a thing of the past for me, I can still definitely relate to anyone going through that; I understand where you're coming from.

The "official" definition of neutrois is the same as the already acknowledged definition of agender, so they're synonyms technically, although a good number of people still use neutrois to refer to people who seek surgery and agender to refer to people that don't, as Vinny said. I'm one of those people myself.

The difference between agender and genderless is, essentially, that agender people identify as something that is neither male nor female, whilst genderless people don't identify with any gender at all, be it binary or not. In very simple terms, that is. Other people have already elaborated on this subject :)

This probably is not a good place to ask but idfk.

I used to call myself agender but most - no wait, all other agendered people I've come across say they are genderless but are fine with their bodies.

I'm the opposite, I'm fine with female pronouns and being called a girl, or being called a boy, I actually don't care at all. But I really want a genderless (sexless?) body and I do feel some kind of dysphoria or discomfort from it.

You just described my situation exactly. I don't care what pronoun you call me, but having gender-specific gentalia makes me really upset.

There is a difference between agender and neutrois, from what I learned from QueerAsCat's videos. They do have a gender, but it's a neutral one, so they want to modify their body and overall appearance to look like neither boy or girl, but as something maybe in the middle, neutral.

I'm similar to you in the way that in my mind I'm genderless and I also want a sexless body. I don't really mind people calling me girl/boy as long as they don't attach to that label certain things that make someone a girl/boy in their mind("Don't do that! You're a girl/boy, you should act accordingly.")

I have a female body (which makes me uncomfortable), but ideally I would have no breasts and no genitalia (or in any case, things related to "female"). Somehow I wish I had a male body because I would enjoy finding out how it is to have that type of body.

You might want to read this post too. It's the opinion of a genderless, non-libidoist aromantic asexual (like you are).

...! thanks a lot for watching my videos, i really appreciate it. :)

you've already been given several opinions about agender vs neutrois (not all of which i agree with, but that's just me!), but i'd also like to point out that several people before you have asked similar questions on this forum. you can search the forum for the words "agender" and "neutrois" and you will find tooons of topics. out of all those topics, however, you may find this one particularly interesting.

that said, in the end you'll have to come to your own conclusion as to the differences between the two identities, since not everyone will ever agree. however, in my experience (and as this thread proves!) you certainly aren't the only person who doesn't care about pronouns but who experiences some degree of dysphoria and wishes for a sexless body. rest assured!

I fall into the category you described of someone that identifies as agendered and experiences no body dysphoria. I think it would be kind of cool to have a sexless body, but my "agendered-ness" manifests itself more as a general unawareness of the sexual aspects of my body rather than a resentment of them. I don't generally feel that I have a sex, even though I do.

When it comes to neutrois, it is a term I didn't know of until I joined this forum, and even then it seems to be somewhat divisive in terms of how people think it makes best sense to use it. I don't use the word to identify myself (as of now, at least), and I think part of that decision comes from the idea that the word feels to me like it is something that is active, while my agendered experience is more passive. Since some associate neutrois more with those that may wish to alter their appearance or body more strongly, it directly plays into that same idea of active vs. passive, I think.

I guess, to summarize, I would say to me that identifying as neutrois feels more like identifying as something specific, while identifying as agendered feels more like identifying as nothing at all (reading that back, I want to make sure I mention that that isn't meant to sound contentious; I still feel my lack of gender is a very important part of my identity, so I'm not saying it isn't also identifying as "something", just more that the identification is one of being without something, rather than being with something as a result of being without something.... if that makes any sense at all ^_^)

Archived