Do you pop/crack your joints?

Lia

Which joints do you pop/crack?  

1. 1. Right Side

• Right Shoulder
    • Right Elbow
    • Right Wrist
    • Right 1st Knuckle (closest to the nail bed)
    • Right 2nd Knuckle (middle)
    • Right 3rd Knuckle (along the top of the hand)
    • Right Thumb 1st Knuckle (closest to the nail bed)
    • Right Thumb Joint (where it connects to the hand)
    • Right Hip
    • Right Knee
    • Right Ankle
    • Right Toes
    • None of these
  2. 2. Left Side

• Left Shoulder
    • Left Elbow
    • Left Wrist
    • Left 1st Knuckle (closest to the nail bed)
    • Left 2nd Knuckle (middle)
    • Left 3rd Knuckle (along the top of the hand)
    • Left Thumb 1st Knuckle (closest to the nail bed)
    • Left Thumb Joint (where it connects to the hand)
    • Left Hip
    • Left Knee
    • Left Ankle
    • Left Toes
    • None of these
  3. 3. Miscellaneous

• Neck
    • Back
    • None of these

This poll is closed to new votes

Odd question, but curious: Do you crack/pop your joints? If yes, which ones.

I'm a bit...crazy:

Sometimes my neck, both shoulders and elbows. These, though, I can't MAKE pop but they will do it on their own when I twist a certain way or something without realizing it.

All of the first knuckles (closest to the nail beds) on both of my hands, not including my thumbs.

Two or three of the second knuckles (in the middle of the finger) on both hands.

Two or three of the third knuckles (across the top of my hand) on both hands.

Both knees

Both ankles

Toes

The joint where my thumbs connect to my hands don't crack or pop but they click in and out of place, both hands.

My left wrist and right hip also click in and out of place.

So...yeah O_o I'm just wondering how odd/extreme I am.

Both my wrists and sometimes my neck make a cracking sound when I stretch and it always feels uncomfortable when it happens. I always get the feeling that my joints shouldn't be making noises like that. :blink:

I used to when I was much younger - my fingers sounded like corks popping from a bottle. Then my mother told me to stop doing it as I'd get arthritis in my joints. I do have arthritis now...but I didn't pop either my hip or shoulder :(

Occasionally I make my rounds all the way across my hands, except for the first joints of my fingers. Second joints on all of the fingers of my right hand, then the third joints, then the first and second of my right thumb. After that it's the same on my left hand, and I finish off with both wrists. Less often, I twist and pop my back too, which sounds like bubble wrap because of all the popopopopopops. Mostly I do it to see what kind of reactions I can get out of people, and I'm almost never disappointed!

My right shoulder pops out of place if I move the wrong way, and I can do it on command with both shoulders if I have my arms at my sides. It gets problematic when I'm working out at the gym, because some of the workout positions involve having my arm straight up past my head. If I'm not careful, it pops out then and it's excruciatingly painful. It can also happen if I'm laughing (generally at a table) and move my arm out to the side and then up the wrong way, which stops me laughing pretty darn quickly.

EDIT: I've heard about popping your joints giving you arthritis too, but from what I can tell it's just an old wives' tale. The sound is just made by bubbles escaping from the synovial fluid in your joints.

I'm constantly popping my knuckles (1st, 2nd, 3rd), knees and ankles. It feels really good when I do it :D My knees are the loudest, though and sometimes if I stretch the right way, my left knee will pop 2 or 3 times in really fast succession.

Tan my mom said the same thing about arthritis. Some say it's true, some say it's not.

I have a regiment of cracking before I even get up...

Laying down...

1: L. index knuckle, upwards

2: L. middle knuckle, upwards

3: L. ring knuckle, upwards

4: L. pinky knuckle, upwards

5: R. index knuckle, upwards

6: R. middle knuckle, upwards

7: R. ring knuckle, upwards

8: R. pinky knuckle, upwards

9: L. thumb upper joint

10: R. thumb upper joint

11: L. pinky toe, downwards

12: L. ring toe, downwards

13: L. middle toe, downwards

14: L. second toe, downwards

15: R. pinky toe, downwards

16: R. ring toe, downwards

17: R. middle toe, downwards

18: R. second toe, downwards

19: Left knee, kicking

20: Right knee, kicking

Then I sit up...

21/22/23/24: By holding my left hand in my right hand I bring my hands and arms over my head and towards the back and bend the elbows with my arms extended over my head. That cracks my L/R elbows and L/R shoulders. I sound like a bowl of Rice Crispies when I wake up! XD

Every morning, I experience how the Tin Man feels when Dorothy used the oil can on him. I also pop all these bones throughout the day. I must pop the knuckles before I do the elbows, and I must pop the toes before I do the knees; otherwise it won't feel right, and there will be pain.

I typically crack my knuckles, wrists, elbows, back, neck, and actually my toes too. I find it helps relax my body, no different from stretching before a work out. I'm very flexible so I like to routinely unwind.

My wrists. And I can practically make my neck sound as though it is breaking, much to the discomfort of those around me.

Random parts of my body crack all the time when I move a certain way. Whether it's my legs, shoulders, elbows, ankles, neck. I don't do them on purpose though.

I do crack all the joints in my fingers and toes purposely though. I have to stop though because they're starting to cramp up the more I do it .__.

left and right:

• knuckles on top of hand
  • knuckle closest to hand on thumb
  • wrists
  • knees
  • toes

I also crack my back and neck

sternum wasn't an option on here, it's what I crack the most!

left and right:

• knuckles on top of hand
  • knuckle closest to hand on thumb
  • wrists
  • knees
  • toes

I also crack my back and neck

o_O I didn't even know it was possible to crack one's sternum...

It feels good to crack my joints, and I like to disgust people with the noise it makes. "Stop it !" :lol:

I don't (and can't) crack my other joints, but my right ankle clicks sometimes, due to an old injury.

o_O I didn't even know it was possible to crack one's sternum...

Yeah, it started from the constant sighing... I started stretching my ribcage intentionally and after doing that for a few months it started cracking... now that's become a huge addiction, I just shift my shoulders and that twists the sternum until *crackle*

Tan my mom said the same thing about arthritis. Some say it's true, some say it's not.

But I have arthritis in joints I didn't pop - just doesn't seem fair :(

The conscious joint cracking I do is the third knuckle on both hands and thumbs, both forwards and backwards and sometimes I'll twist to crack my back. However both my back and my neck will crack alarmingly loud randomly when I shift positions leading to embarrassed apologies... Side effect of scoliosis, I think.

Its an old habit, most likely connected to my OCD by this point. I cant control the compulsion and I don't like it.

I crack my third knuckles and sometimes my second as a result and I also crack my toes: mostly my big toe, but also the others. My knees crack sometimes and I also crack my neck.

I hate it, but if I don't do it I feel like those limbs just feel so wrong and dislodged. Y'know, like they're stiff and stuck out of place or something. (To be honest its probably the cracking that's making them like that in the first place but I just cant stop.)

I can't play violin or piano without cracking my knuckles. It just feels all stiff and awkward if I don't. A lot of my musician friends do it too.

I'm guilty of this.

A lot of people don't realize I'm doing it and say "What's that cracking noise?"

My mom gets annoyed and says "You'll get arthritis!"

Pfttttt. I call BS.

I used to creep out people in school when I cracked my back XD

All my joints in my fingers and toes, my back, my knees, and my ankles. My knees like to crack on their own. I have the joints of a senior citizen.

entirelyunliketea

My right wrist gets sore (probably from spending too much time on the computer) so I crack and rotate it from time to time.

Otherwise, I'm that person who flinches and covers their ears when other people pop joints. I can't stand it!

Waist of Thyme

I frequently crack the joints in my knuckles (in all fingers and thumbs), toes, the sides of my feet, and my back.

I've cracked my elbow a few times before, but I usually can't.

How do you crack your neck? O.O

How do you crack your neck? O.O

Usually by leaning my head sharply to the right and then sharply to the right. It's sorta like cracking my back but with a bend instead of a twist.

YES.

I can and will crack anything.

Honestly, I can even crack my breast bone... I just press my sternum out. Ahh...just typing this makes me want to go for an all-over.

Haha. It's weird. I need remember many people are grossed out by it.

EVERYTHING. Except hips, ankles and toes. I don't know how to crack them. If I knew how, I probably would. :P

These ones are the best. Seriously: raise your leg like you're peeing on a fire hydrant. (Hip crack.) Ankles: circle them. Mine crack every time that way, but mine may be more crack-able. Toes. Flex them into the ground. Or scrunch them into the ground the other way.

Archived