*sigh* More identity theft.....

Shivers

I've just found out that my website is being spoofed to send spam. If you get an email appearing to be from me that you're not expecting, ESPECIALLY if it has an attachment, DELETE IT ON SIGHT!

Cate Perfect

Thanks for the heads up.

What a bunch of asshats.

Cate

There's a million people on this planet I dont like.

And I haven't met 5 billion and change of them.

Such a shame you appear to be getting on Spock.

These internet epople...can't trust most of them.

:( that stinks

I keep getting emails appearing to be from Verizon saying they are confirming that I have updated my password - with it is an attachment file that I'm sure if I open will contain something ugly - even though they typed in "++no viruses (clean file) at the bottom to fool me.

creeps

hawke

Silly Green Monkey

If you get a link in your email, looking at the html source for the email will reveal whether the link is a cover for the real link or not.

Always... and on top of that, any email that's remotely suspicious, I check the MIME heaers and the IP routing as well. I have yet to be hit with any viri (-:þ

Heh, I use many alternative programs for the same reason. I just cant switch from windows just yet (I tried linux... but theres not enough support for stuff under linux... both my sound cards and my DSL modem are completely incompatible, and I'm not talented enough to write my own drivers.)

Nah for Linux with DSL just load the PPoE driver it works just fine (Had Verizon, MCI and Eathlink DSL).

And most sound cards work these days.

If you ever get brave to try again let me know I can walk you through it.

-ASF

ASF: I was trying to set up a dual-boot with Fedora, just a few months back.... I couldnt find any drivers that worked with either the onbaord sound card or the audigy I had plugged in.

• 2 weeks later...
That's why I run a Unix system. Can't get a virus there. I dare you to try...

-ASF

Want me to write you a binary :D?

But the binary is not auto installed when it comes through e-mail and needs to be done manually.

Ugh. That sucks, Spock mate. (See Bex thread for rant on identity theft)

Fortunately, despite the fact that I'm running Windows XP and Outlook Express, I'm pretty unbothered by viruses on the whole. At least I know what to do on the rare occasions I get a difficult one. Nothing irreversible or serious has ever happened to my computer yet.

But the binary is not auto installed when it comes through e-mail and needs to be done manually.

You can't expect me to do all the work myself. Okay, I'll be nice, I'll name it ClickHereToGetYourPrize :P (disable the rest of security yourself :P).

Archived