See A Shrink!....like hell.

Izzy

Ok, im not going to go posting crazy, but one quick question....

What do you all think about the statement 'most asexuality can be cured by a good old session of councilling' ..... dont you think that people should be who they want to be? not get a shrink to determine who they are??..after all, we have feelings for a reason.

Just a thought!

Iz

x

NotDisclosed
Ok, im not going to go posting crazy, but one quick question....

What do you all think about the statement 'most asexuality can be cured by a good old session of councilling' ..... dont you think that people should be who they want to be? not get a shrink to determine who they are??..after all, we have feelings for a reason.

I think if you feel , unhappy or uncomfortable in the fact that you are

asexual, then sure seek counselling hormone treatment, whatever floats ya boat. But if you happy with who you are and your asexuality good for you!

NotDisclosed

'most asexuality can be cured by a good old session of councilling'

I f someone says that to me, I burst out laughing in their faces :)

VivreEstEsperer

Welcome to the board izzy! glad to see you posting so much :) No, I don't think asexuality can be "cured" by counseling just as much as homosexuality can't be "cured" by counseling.

Kate

What do councillors and psychiatrists do anyway?

They sit there and go "yeah yep um huh...that's interesting" and make $150 an hour.

People go to shrinks in hopes of finding answers but instead they get soem mediciane to "FIX" their problems. I am sure there are drugs out there that can "Fix" asexuality (i.e. Create a sex drive , a desire to do sexual things etc) but how will you feel when u get off that drug?

It will be like gettign so drunk and doing somethign horrible but since you are so drunk u don't care and u laugh but when u wake up u feel so bad cause u realize what u have done.

I could not possibly live with a temporary fix and a temporary fix (drugs of some kind) is all a psychiatrist or a councillor can every recommend and no that is not for me.

Alex

*snort*

'most asexuality can be cured by a good old session of councilling'

anyone tells me that shit, & i'll give them a crack to the jaw.

i just located a psychotherapist that my insurance will cover (as you can probably tell by now, i've been needing to see one for a long-ass while), & when i do, i'm not gonna bring up the subject of asexuality. 1. because it's none of the doctor's bloody business; & 2. because my asexuality is not the fucking problem.

however, if the subject of my mother ever comes up, then i can't make any promises.

anyway, hi, izzy. :D

Aww thanks for the welcomes guys!!.......

Moose...can i call you moose??..if not.... im sorry! :oops: ... it was in this article that i read in a stupid uk teen mag' .. which i guess is the very same reason why i shouldnt have taken any notice of it!!....

Like i said, im fine with who i am..within reason.. and im not bothered at all about the fact that the idea of sex has no appeal whatsover!.. but one thing that does bother me is people trying to make me believe that its just a phase, and how can i enjoy, or not enjoy something ive never experienced... but its nice to fineally see people who except you for who you are!!

x

Aww thanks for the welcomes guys!!.......

Moose...can i call you moose??..if not.... im sorry! :oops: ... it was in this article that i read in a stupid uk teen mag' .. which i guess is the very same reason why i shouldnt have taken any notice of it!!....

Like i said, im fine with who i am..within reason.. and im not bothered at all about the fact that the idea of sex has no appeal whatsover!.. but one thing that does bother me is people trying to make me believe that its just a phase, and how can i enjoy, or not enjoy something ive never experienced... but its nice to fineally see people who except you for who you are!!

x

hi izzy, nice to meet you, welcome to the boards. when parents/relations/friends say 'phase' it's just subtext for 'i don't understand this person....

*blomp* :shock:

Well hey moose!! :D

Whirly Girl- too true. People either dont understand people enough, or they trying to understand them too much! ....the world is a strange place.

Well, not being totally certain I'm actually asexual (I think I might be like 25% sexual or something), I have to say pretty much that if how you feel works for you, don't screw with it.

What I say next relates to mental disorders, and I should clarify first that I don't think asexuality is such. I'm just giving an example of another thing that can make people different that should be left alone.

Many psychologists (and there are glaring exceptions all over the industry) believe in the notion of a normal, balanced person which everyone should be, with some variation accounting for personality. I happen to think half the people with "harmless" conditions normally viewed as mental disorders of some form should be left alone. If they're happy being weird, why make them an unhappy normal-wannabe? (And I do not use the word "weird" here judgmentally - several of my friends happily describe themselves as weird and take pride in their removal from any semblance of normality.)

Back to asexuality - Some people (and I think there'd be almost none on Aven) are asexual/involuntarily celibate because they have a disorder or trauma, or whatever. If that category of people want to see if sexuality works for them, and they are capable of it, there's definitely no harm in counselling or other treatment to help them. But if someone is fine with the fact that for them, doing the horizontal tango down below just isn't their thing, much like going to nightclubs or eating asparagus isn't for others, then all "counselling"* would do is make them feel unhappy and make them try to be something they're not. Look at the "ex-gay" movement, for starters. There are some very psychologically unhealthy people in that, beating themselves up over something that's part of their nature.

* (Real counselling would affirm the person's true orientation, and seek to help them deal with it and feel more fulfilled within it)

dont get me wrong.. i completely agree when it comes down to councelling to help get over a trauma or something which can lead to how people feel if they dont actually want to feel that way...

Im just saying that i dont think people should be sent to be told how they really feel, and are unware of it....when infact theyre completely sure about how they feel and are happy with who they are...

"It's just a phase you're going through!"

Next time someone says that to me, I will tell them that THEY'RE the ones going through a phase, and will only go back to normal when they are around 50-60 :lol:

aww some people are just too sensitive. ;) .. but seriously...i completely agree with you!

"It's just a phase you're going through!"

Next time someone says that to me, I will tell them that THEY'RE the ones going through a phase, and will only go back to normal when they are around 50-60 :lol:

:D yeah, good one

Sometimes I wonder if my asexuality has anything to do with my experiences. Maybe it does. A shrink would be pleased because it would be easy to figure out why I am this way. But I never think about it too long. I like being this way. I don't care why. I don't wonder how it would be if I was sexual. And I don't want to change.

guardianoftheblind

It's frustrating to see such a misconception about asexuality. I think one of the appeals of AVEN and one thing that makes new members so happy when the find it is the definition and description of asexuality does not talk about it as a problem or a disorder. Most of us seem to feel that our asexuality is part of who we are, and there's nothing inherently wrong with us because of it. Asexuals might be in a minority, but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with us that should, or even could, be cured.

Sometimes I wonder if my asexuality has anything to do with my experiences. Maybe it does. A shrink would be pleased because it would be easy to figure out why I am this way.

I could probably say the same thing about myself. Another tangent for another day. :D

Firstly, welcome!

Secondly:

What do you all think about the statement 'most asexuality can be cured by a good old session of councilling'

I think it's bullsh*t!

More seriously, I agree completely with MedusaDan.

If you are unhappy with being asexual (rather than just unhappy living in a sexual world) then it's probably a good idea to see a doctor/therapist. If you are happy being asexual then that's fine and it's nobody else's business to be telling you to change.

So you'd be "cured" if you started to like the idea of somebody shoving their dingaling where the sun don't shine?!! Who are the wierd ones again?!! :lol:

Hey...

I say do whatever will make you happy. Most of what I would have said has been said and what it really comes down too...is you. Do whatever you feel is best...as far as therapy goes however, I personally don't belive it will work...but I may be wrong. Do what makes you happy!

after all, if you don't seek happiness...what's the point?!

Good Luck! :wink:

VivreEstEsperer

Hey, cool picture for your avatar wombat! i think you're the first person who's actually put a picture of themself as an avatar. actually i was considering doing that too I just have to figure out HOW. :)

Kate

Hehehe I already have my next avatar(s) planned too!!

Not like I can make them though, with my good computer being a pisshole again :evil:

Izzy - I had the same problem. :roll:

So, what I did was that I just typed "avatar image" and hit search. Of course I had to check like 10 links until I found something that actually had the images. :)

Sorry, I don't remember the adress. :(

Drugs are not for you?

Psst, everyone . . . I think Legolas is under alien control :shock:

Well i like recreational drugs but not drugs that will make me wanan have sex. Damn i need soem weed now look what u did u just reminded me man. I was tryign to quit :) ( he he he j/k i don't think i ever will :P)

Merry Christmas all

Alex

VivreEstEsperer

Ha, you're about six months away from Christmas. Or five, one of them. But Happy Hanukkah anyway. Any time is a good time for presents, lol.

you people ac6tu

...........(sorry my cat did that)

So you people actually do drugs? That sucks. I always thought that drugs are only for weak and stupid people. Don't get all mad and offended! I don't mean that you're stupid. I would never say such a thing about a person I don't even know. .... Yeah, I know. :D I challenge you. If you can convince me that drugs are really something so "special" and worth all the problems I will take that back.

Archived