do you like your name? would you to change it?

gypsy_princess

gypsy_princess

most of the people i know like their name, and they can't understand the problems i have with mine.

i have an unusual name, Elisabeth: it's not italian, it's not a name you find everyday, so people costantly misspell or misunderstand it, since i was born, basically (i'm still surprised that the registry office didn't misspel it). i can't even understand where it is from, it's not typical of any country! so i've Always hated it, since i found out that one of my all-time role models, empress Elisabeth of Austria (Always knows as Sissi), has it and i was relieved! but this doesn't change anything. this is a typical scenario

someone: what's your name?

me: elisabeth

someone: elisa?

me: no, elisabeth

someone: Elisabetta?

me: no! elisabeth, with T-H

someone: oh, like the queen! so, elizabeth

<_< <_< <_< <_< <_< <_< <_<

i won't change it because my dad (he chose my name from a character of a comic) would kill me :P and because - besides all these problems - i like it.

but there are a lot of names that i would love to have. my favorite is Miyu (character from a manga and anime), that is my name everywhere on blogs, social network accounts... and it could be my "nom de plume" when i'll be a known writer (IF i'll ever be) :rolleyes:

and you, do you like your name? or would you change it? ^_^

I don't like my name, Alanna. It's too rectangular.But my initials spell art, so I'm thinking about going by that when I go to college.

I would, i wish i was called Will :D But i hate my surname more... Everyone always takes the biscuit about it :(

It works.

It's my Humanoid Organic Brain Transportation System's semi-unique identifier, I suppose. Not particularly attached to it, but my family and I are used to it so there'd be no sense in changing it.

I like my name now, but for years I hated it. I was always called Justin by teachers and when I met someone new, they would say mistake my name as Christine.

Janus the Fox
Ive never been too fussed on my name or second name. It's literally the first letter of the alphabet and close together in a baby name book, still its a rarely used spelling but combine that with a generic common surname then its not a really exciting name. I like something more gender neutral or unisex, but I have no idea what really...
Vyanni Krace

My name is okay I guess, because it means 'Wisdom', however I'm not too keen on it. I prefer my online name(s). I don't mind my last name except no-one seems to be able to pronounce it right...or spell it right. :/

I figure I'll have 3 names throughout my life. The first name is the one I was born with, when I was still ignorant of the world. The second name that I chose for myself when I realized my flaws and set out to better myself. The third name is one I'll earn if I'm able to fulfill my dreams.

I've never cared for my last name, the whole purpose of one is to trace someone's lineage and/or to better identify the person. I know who I am so that's good enough for me.

pleasedeleteme

I was born Mark, I got adopted as Marc, I paid the government 130-170$ I don't remember to change it back to Mark. Since I didn't really belong to any real family, I changed my last name to something I liked as well... I lost my real name when I was adopted to some degenerate name, it grossed me out.

I figured, people name themselves what they want for bands, authors, celebrities and online persona... why can't I pick my own name?

Arctic_Revenge

I don't really care for any part of my name. First, middle, or last.

I've had the desire to change my name since I was small,

but what I'd change it to has changed the more I have matured.

Chronologically I think it's been: Phiona Potter, Eva Veratas, Gabriel, Adrianne, Avery Bailey, (most currently) Hadrian [Addie] Grant.

I don't really like my first name, because it is a traditionally African name and every time I meet someone they are like "but you're not black..." *sigh* I use my middle name mostly.

Nameless123

I like my name. Where I live it's rather unique but not too freaky. I usually have to spell it for people, though, and there's a fictional bee character with the same name, so I get teased about that sometimes.

Purple Heart
i have an unusual name, Elisabeth: i can't even understand where it is from, it's not typical of any country!

Elisabeth is a beautiful name! And, although it may not be very common where you are, I have to disagree strongly with the 'not typical of any country' bit! Some info on your name for you: http://www.behindthename.com/name/elisabeth

It has SO many different variations and diminutives that it must be one of the most versatile names you could possibly be given! Make the most of that if you want something that's still the same but a little easier for people you meet to get the hang of :)

As for my name, I don't like it, it was always stupidly common as I grew up and there was always at least one other in the class with me <_< But I hate my surname more. Once I get my head straightened out enough about my identity, I would certainly be looking to change it.

The Astromancer

I hate my given name "Ericka Britta"

I'm legally changing it after Blizzcon (I can't until after because I'm registered under that name)

---

Changing it to Allie Éowyn :3

Hence why I go by Allie on here haha

Notte stellata

I'm neutral about my name. To me, name is just a symbol, so I don't care too much about it. There have been times when I thought my name is too common (actually not super common - I haven't met anyone IRL who has the same first name and last name as mine), but on the other hand, it's good to have a name that is not too unique, otherwise it would be too easy to Google me. :P

The Great WTF

It took me a long time to learn to like my name, though I'm still not terribly fond of it. I've spent far too much time in the company of Family Guy fans to ever be entirely comfortable with being called Meg again. I don't know that I'd ever want to go to the fuss of changing it, especially because the name means a lot to my mom. She had it picked out for me when she was 13 and never wavered on it. My middle name just freaking sucks, but I love my last name. It's stupidly common, but it also carries the rather dubious honor of potentially getting me arrested in certain counties in Iowa simply because my family is notoriously full of hellraisers.

Squirrel Combat

Pardon my French in advance but... I FUCKING LOVE MY NAME! :D I take a great deal of pride in it. I friend other guys with the same name at the drop of a hat. We James' share a special bond, a blood oath to loyalty and mutual aid. JAMES' UNITED!! :D

It always break my heart when I villain or an evil person in the world bears such a proud and noble name. Uh, yeah, maybe I like my name a little too much :P.

Grumpy Alien

Kimberly. I hate my name. I've always hated it. The only reason I never changed it was because I would have (apparently) needed my father's permission to change it as a minor. (I'm not actually sure if that's true or if my family was protecting themselves from his wrath. He wasn't my guardian.) He named me. Which makes me hate my name more. Now I can't change it because people at work already know me as Kim. Everyone in my life calls me Kim. It'd be weird to be like "hey you have to call me something else now."

Anne. I like my middle name. I think it's pretty and I like that it has an E at the end.

Cowan. Ugliest. Surname. Ever. I go by Cohen - a mispronunciation of my last name - in person; online, I go by Colquhoun - a clan name on my mother's side. (Which ended up being bastardized to Cowan - unrelated to my father's last name.)

One day when I can afford to move, I'll change my name. I don't know what it'll be. Maybe what I might have been named, a family name, a name I like, or rearrangement of my current name.

I despise my birth name and have had the same problem you have.

My birth name is Tressa, named after my dad's great aunt. It sounds like chreh-suh, which is gross sounding to me. I think it's a sensory thing, but saying certain words makes me physically feel uncomfortable. When I was in second grade, I remember introducing myself to someone, and right after saying my name, I cringed and shuddered and felt gross. That's the earliest memory I have of hating my name.

People never get it right. It's always, Tessa, Treesa (I've gotten that a few times), Theresa, ter-eh-suh, Tess.... I almost always have to repeat if a few times and people STILL get it wrong!

My birth middle name is Marie, which means 'bitter' and is my mom's middle name. Since I despise my mom, I need it changed.

I've chosen Temperance May for my first and middle names. I'll have the same initials, which makes it easy. The words Temperance and May make me feel light and happy when I say them, which is good for my personality. I ultimately chose May because my great, great aunt Tressa's middle name was May, and it reminds me of Mei from Totoro. ^o^

Temperance can be shortened to Tempy, which is such a cute nickname! Growing up, I always wanted one.

I've been going by Temperance for a year, to officially get used to it and make sure it's what I want and will legally change it once I move out.

Btw, my last name is Lee.

Temperance May Lee

Sounds nice, don't it? ^__^

I also like how simple it is. Some people go crazy with name changes, which is why I chose a simple, somewhat common middle name to go with my simple last name.

I've never particularly like my first name, but I've grown used to it. Back in high school, I absolutely despised it, so I had people use a nickname a friend had given me, and it stuck. Now most people not in my family know me by that name. Since I've grown older, I've started to regret that choice, since people get really confused by my name as I grow older, but I've learned to deal with it.

For a long time I also didn't like my last name, but I never asked to call me by a different one. I'm glad for this, since I now take pride in that name since I've devoloped a much better relationship with my paternal grandfather. I do occasionally use my favorite last name and/or my maternal grandmothers maiden name sometimes when I don't want someone to be able to find me though.

I use my legal name at work and with acquaintances, and Breetanya with friends.

I started using Breetanya in my freshman year of college because the brilliant people that assigned roommates stuck me with someone with the same first name.

I have no intention of changing my legal name though. If you go through the entomology of my names, it ends up being something like: "From Britain, the Virgin Moon Goddess Adviser to the King." It sounds pretty impressive if I introduce myself that way. ^_^

A Touch of Insanity

I figure I'll have 3 names throughout my life. The first name is the one I was born with, when I was still ignorant of the world. The second name that I chose for myself when I realized my flaws and set out to better myself. The third name is one I'll earn if I'm able to fulfill my dreams.

I've never cared for my last name, the whole purpose of one is to trace someone's lineage and/or to better identify the person. I know who I am so that's good enough for me.

That's very similar to what I have planned for myself. My intro post says I have many names because of the personality/soul conflict thing, but, like you, I have some names that are symbols of progress and achievement. It's why I haven't made a new Facebook, in fact. The name I'll use for my Facebook will be after I move on to the next major phase/time in my life, then the next one comes after the near-future stage is left behind. These are names I have to earn.

I love my name. My first name is quite unusual (not exactly rare but not very common either) and it suits me somehow and my surname is very common indeed but fits with my first name like a glove.

I have 2 middle names, one I like and one I hate.

Would I ever change my name?

Nope.

It's a part of me and one I like, a lot!

I used to dislike both my first name and my last name. Over time, I've come to accept the former, although it still sounds kind of meh to me. I'd love to be called Silver instead, but I still live in Italy and that would sound terribly strange a name here. I may or may not change it in the future, but honestly... I'm a bit worried about copyright issues. I produce fractals and even made a few contracts with companies that allows them to use some of them under specific conditions... I'm a bit paranoid someone could turn their back on me if I change my name and just claim ownership on them or something. I'd love some advice on how to deal with that if anyone's changed their name and knows about the legalities associated with it.

Other than that, I heartily dislike my last name because it's short, sounds like a stutter, and means nothing at all. -_-

Robin is not my real name, but boy, do I want to change it to that.

It's not that I dislike my current name, I just like "Robin" better.

Not changing my name as it's too much of a hassle.

Not happy with mine, but mostly for the childhood/family memories attached to it. I haven't been called by my passport name by friends in ages. Ever since the late 80s, I had been going by a nickname (originally meant to be nasty - I got called so due to my obesity, but I ended up fully claiming it as my own) from everyone except family; nowadays, since the early 00s, I'm going by a self-chosen spiritual name that can niftily be shortened to a mundane sounding one. Even a lot of close acquaintances don't know my birth name (my partner does, though), just that it's different from the one I go by.

I also have a name thought out just in case I suddenly wake up in a female body one day. Not that I see that as a likely occurrence, but hey, it's better to be prepared, right? :)

SorryNotSorry

Life lesson: if you give your kid a name he hates, he's going to go through life believing you never loved him as much as you should have.

It's been my experience that some people are---*ahem*---fetishistic about names. I'm thinking of the mothers who yell and tear their hair out when their kid tells them he hates his name and wants to get it legally changed.

I like my first name. It can be shortened to be used gender neutrally so that's nice.

and when combined with my surname, it makes it difficult to search online because of some other people having that name. deniability.

Mezzo Forte

so i've Always hated it, since i found out that one of my all-time role models, empress Elisabeth of Austria (Always knows as Sissi), has it and i was relieved! but this doesn't change anything.

I promised myself that I wouldn't post on forums while I'm studying abroad, but I'm studying in Austria at the moment and have heard Sissi's name so much since I've gotten here, so I thought I could just post this once. It must be annoying to have a name that is slightly varied from a more common name, since it makes the name much more difficult to figure out, but it's good there is at let something positive to take from it.

My name is very unambiguously a female name, and I don't mind it too terribly, since it's very easy for people to figure out. It makes some people assume I'm very religious even though I'm agnostic, but that isn't common to the point of annoyance. Had I been born male, my dad would have named me Logan, which is actually a name I'm quite fond of because I enjoy androgynous names. If I ever changed my name, that is what I would call myself, but I don't have strong enough feelings to actually change my name, especially since my mom's main intent for giving me my birth name was so I wouldn't have a gender neutral name (she legally changed hers because people kept assuming she was a man looking strictly at paperwork and she hated that).

I have a name that is unusual, always misspelled, always mispronounced, and (once or twice) mistaken as a guy's name. (I am female and identify as a woman.)

Nevertheless, I love my name. I feel like my name fits me, I love the meaning behind it, and I love the story of how I came to be named. I was named after my mom's best friend, who was named after her mom's best friend. My name points to a line of female friendship, and the importance of friends. I would never change it.

My name's Ardythe.

Archived