Asexual Awareness Week 2013: Oct 20-26!

kitchenwitch

kitchenwitch

Hey everyone,

Based on the enormous amount of community interest in a unified AAW campaign across the globe, we've gone back to an official set week of ace awareness this fall!! If you're on a college campus or in a community where you want to do more IRL education and awareness, please save the date! There will definitely be ways to plug in as the summer goes on. :)

SB

2nk1gg3.jpg

Thecatlady

Ha. It's the week of my birthday. I'm still getting a kick out of it.

Notte stellata

Ha. It's the week of my birthday. I'm still getting a kick out of it.

LOL, mine too! I'm glad to see AAW is back to a set week in late October! :D

Mine too! That week is the best in the year ;)

Never_More

Okay, I now have a deadline by which to get a black ring.

Ah excellent, I'm so glad there's a set time for this this year. I won't be on a campus (or even in my home town) but I will be making plenty of noise on the internet at least.

Blood-of-Cherries

that's great but I don't know what I can do.

INACTIVE ACCOUNT

YAY

I'm gonna paint my nails, put some flags up and generally not do anything much. I wish I could go out more. The rents are so strict. Even if anyone in Melbourne was organising any kind of event or anything, I wouldn't be able to help.

I don't know what I can do.

But it's good that it's happening :D

• 2 weeks later...
rainstainedhope

I'm excited :D No idea what I can do for it but plenty of time to think. Black ring shall be acquired by then I hope :D

Oh no, this falls in final exam week so there won't be much opportunity for me to find other aces.

But it's great to hear that there is a set week where we can all spread awareness.

I'm going to be on holiday in New York that week! Not really related :) but now it's officially booked I just love saying it lol

FOXracingfan

Awesome! That's super close to my birthday! I plan on being out by then. I'll definitely find some stuff to wear that week! I must get my black ring before then too. Thanks for letting us know when Awareness Week is!

It would be great if I could have a job by then. I have no idea what I could do. But I always feel I could do more :cake:

ItAllMakesSense

I can't wait! I'm planning in having my new black ring by then because my current one is losing black diamonds :(

I want to organize something for this where I work, but I'm just too shy to do any kind of speaking or anything, and I'm not comfortable being out at work either :( I'm trying to figure out what I can do (other than maybe send out a bulletin through the agency daily newsletter with a link to AVEN during that week).

Kitchenwitch, will you guys be attending any particular conferences or anything for AAW?

• 2 weeks later...
kitchenwitch

In 2014, we're planning to attend Creating Change in Houston, TX, January 29-Feb 2, and World Pride in Tornto, June 20-29. We've submitted to the World Pride conference already (in joint effort with AVEN) and we'll be submitting to Creating Change sometime in September. :)

Thanks for the update! :lol: I wish I were closer for Houston, but I'll DEFINITELY see you at WorldPride 2014! Try and stop me! XD

:cake:

Kingsaucy_Malika

i really want to go something for AAW. i have a black ring and stuff i could talk to people. but i dont know what else i could do. i was thinking handing out flyers to people but yeah i dont know! I WILL THINK OF SOMETHING!

• 3 weeks later...
controlled_abandon

Sweet! I marked it on my calendar. I'm starting at my new university this Fall, so maybe I'll be able to organize something there. I'm hoping the LGBTQ(etc.) group there is open to asexuality.

And yeah, black ring... I need to get one of those.

Total noob here, but can someone tell me what a black ring is/signifies and why? Thankies in advance.

Total noob here, but can someone tell me what a black ring is/signifies and why? Thankies in advance.

They symbolise asexuality, and they're worn on the middle finger of one's right hand. :)

Okay, so... I have to find someone else to educate for Awareness Week. I'm currently out to nearly everyone I know. :P

• 2 months later...

I came up with something for next week...but it's risky business.

My plan is to use my old lanyard form years ago, stick all sorts of asexuality stuff in it, and wear it for four days (because that's when I'll be at my university). Yes, even in classes. Yes, I'll be walking past thousands of people and, on occasion (I would imagine), ask about it. After all, the LGBT manual does mention asexuality.

Some would say it's admirable or brave, others think it's completely suicidal. Either way, I feel the need to do something that week. Yes, I am concerned with the potential discrimination I'll face but I figured it's best take a stand .

Yay! I even marked AAW on my calendar .:D

Although judging from the previous posts, AAW wasn't a set week? After reading about AAW online, I naturally assumed that it was always October 20-26... whOOps.

I won't be doing much either. I go to my uni's QSA [Queer-Straight Alliance] meetings and am curious to see if they mention AAW this week but I highly doubt it. If they do, it'll be a short five minute announcement or something. =P I would paint my nails but I just painted my nails with the blood of my enemies soooo can't :P

I'm new to AVEN so it'll be interesting to see if AVEN does anything on here.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot

Yay! I even marked AAW on my calendar . :D

Although judging from the previous posts, AAW wasn't a set week? After reading about AAW online, I naturally assumed that it was always October 20-26... whOOps.

I won't be doing much either. I go to my uni's QSA [Queer-Straight Alliance] meetings and am curious to see if they mention AAW this week but I highly doubt it. If they do, it'll be a short five minute announcement or something. =P I would paint my nails but I just painted my nails with the blood of my enemies soooo can't :P

I had it marked on my calendar since a few months ago, but...... I'm not sure what my source was..... hmmm

In other news, I'm still wondering what I can/should do, since I'm not out to anyone and don't really feel comfortable with that at this point.

Yay! I even marked AAW on my calendar . :D

I had it marked on my calendar since a few months ago, but...... I'm not sure what my source was..... hmmm

In other news, I'm still wondering what I can/should do, since I'm not out to anyone and don't really feel comfortable with that at this point.

I vaguely remember my source being tumblr lol

As for some suggestions about what to do for AAW... since I won't be doing much either I don't really know what to suggest? I'm out to a few close people but not to QSA [and don't plan to be]. My plans were to just be active on AVEN and learn more about asexuality/myself. I'll probably end up browsing a bunch of asexuality tumblr sites and the like. Do whatever makes you comfortable. c:

Aside from my reply, I scrolled up and saw World Pride 2014 in Toronto and that looks super cool! I'm two states away from Toronto so it wouldn't be such a bad drive/plane ride up there. I hope AVEN gets recognized at World Pride, would give me more of a reason to go. :D

Archived