Why do I still feel like I'm in the elevator/train?

K!m

Last Friday, I rode an airplane for more than 3 hours to Singapore and flew back home on Sunday night. In Singapore, I rode a bunch of elevators and trains, and on Saturday, I started feeling like I was still in an elevator even though I wasn't anymore. Then since Sunday, I've been feeling like I'm still in a train, which feels worse than the elevator sensation because it has an additional horizontal motion, plus it lasts longer and it happens more frequently. The sensation lasts for about 10 seconds and pauses for 2 seconds then starts again. It happens almost all day long and is really bothersome because it's ruining my thinking as well as my typing.

More info: I suffer from vertigo, and I think it's related to the sensation I'm feeling. My mom reckons it's jet lag, but it can't be because my country shares the same time zone with Singapore. Also, my mom says she's feeling the elevator sensation now too. She suffers from vertigo as well.
I'd consult a doctor, but we don't think it's too big of a deal to do so. I would just like to know what's going on for now.

I actually have no idea what it is, but it's apparently pretty common after riding something you're not used to. It should go away in a few days. :)
I could guess it's maybe an effect of the vertigo. Wikipedia has an article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusions_of_self-motion#Sea_legs.2C_dock_rock.2C_or_stillness_illness

Seventh Star

I get something similar for a day or so after I've been on a ferry - recurring feelings of the ground shifting up and down. If it's the same thing, it usually goes away after a while.

Interesting...I feel that way after riding in an elevator sometimes. It's really weird!

How long is it supposed to last? It's been happening for almost 5 days now, and it feels like it's getting even worse. I really can't think straight sometimes and I failed to mention this, but occasionally it feels like the ground goes from being horizontal to diagonal and I'm about to fall back. This usually happens when I'm sitting down.

I have no idea ow long it should last, it was only a few days max when I would get it, but my flights were only about 12 hours long. But since you've been on trains and elevators a lot for several days, maybe it'll last longer? I really don't know the science behind this thing.. hope you start feeling better soon, if it interferes with daily life and doesn't go away maybe you should go see a doctor or something.

Archived