Asexual fictional characters

I am Sherlocked

That asexual guy

1. Sheldon Cooper - Big Bang Theory

Nope. At best, he's demi. Possibly straight and highly neurotic. At worst, he's just a caricature of a human being designed for laughs via the Ambiguous Disorder trope, which is what the writers have said.

2. Sherlock Holmes (BBC America) - Sherlock

Nope. Sherlock Holmes from the actual books was explicitly asexual. Moffat ruined that.

3. The Doctor -- Doctor Who

Nope. He's had multiple romantic relationships and at least one sexual relationship.

4. Dexter Morgan - Dexter

Nope. In the two seasons I bothered to watch, he had one romantic relationship that seemed to develop into an actual romance, and one sexual relationship that seemed to be based on his sexual attraction to his partner.

6. Amy Farrah Fowler -- Big Bang Theory

Nope. Demi at best. At worst, created specifically to give Sheldon a love interest. Oh wait, that's what happened.

It's just TV. If it makes someone feel good thinking a character is ace so they can relate or whatever I say go for it.

I love the scene in which his therapist leaves it up to Monk to decide whether they talk about his (non-existing?) married sex life or spend the rest of the session singing songs - and Monk, naturally, strikes up a song ^_^

Ha ha, yes I remember that episode, that was so funny!

RosettaAce

Nope. At best, he's demi. Possibly straight and highly neurotic. At worst, he's just a caricature of a human being designed for laughs via the Ambiguous Disorder trope, which is what the writers have said.

Nope. Sherlock Holmes from the actual books was explicitly asexual. Moffat ruined that.

Nope. He's had multiple romantic relationships and at least one sexual relationship.

Nope. In the two seasons I bothered to watch, he had one romantic relationship that seemed to develop into an actual romance, and one sexual relationship that seemed to be based on his sexual attraction to his partner.

Nope. Demi at best. At worst, created specifically to give Sheldon a love interest. Oh wait, that's what happened.

Moffat may have ruined it on tv, but Holmes is still Holmes in the books.

My point is that referring specifically to BBC Sherlock as asexual doesn't really work.

That asexual guy

I find it odd we talk about asexuality not being black and white. But when it comes to fictional characters we want no grey areas for them. Just an observation.

DarkDragonn

About Sherlock- Moffat obviously comes from a point of view with. Inimal if any understanding of asexuality. I prefer to let the show speak for itself, and there are plenty of moments that are relatable for me as an aromantic asexual. I've hear talk about season 3 somehow undermining his asexuality, but if anything it only confirmed it for me. I've linked a post earlier talking about asexuality in Sherlock.

About the Doctor- I made a post here earlier that talks about Gallifreyans and their sexual orientation. Basically, they're asexual as a race, the Doctor's relationships were romantic but not sexual (even River- I could go for ages on my interpretation of that but I don't think This is the time or place).

I don't know about BBT or Dexter enough to refute either way. I dislike the interpretation of Dexter as asexual though, because I really think we shouldn't see a murderous psychopath as representation.

kiaroskuro
Moffat may have ruined it on tv

I find it hard to believe that the writers / producers would actually let that happen, but then again, I have yet to watch episodes II and III of season 3. I'm so looking forward to watching them, but I hate the thought of Sherlock being less of an a-mazing person on screen than in the books.

But it's almost impossible to do Doyle's novels and stories justice, either way.

RosettaAce
Moffat may have ruined it on tv

I find it hard to believe that the writers / producers would actually let that happen, but then again, I have yet to watch episodes II and III of season 3. I'm so looking forward to watching them, but I hate the thought of Sherlock being less of an a-mazing person on screen than in the books.

But it's almost impossible to do Doyle's novels and stories justice, either way.

I have the 3 season but I haven't watched it yet (saving it for summer break) but I've been hearing things about the 3rd season, plus there's the interview with Moffat where he said that Sherlock being asexual was boring. So I'm a bit behind!

The thing is though I have read that Benedict (can't spell his last name) has said that he's playing Sherlock ace... sooo not sure what to do with that!

I completely agree though, no one can fully live up to Doyle's books!

Cumberbatch said he thought he was supposed to be playing Sherlock as asexual. But I don't know when that interview was; it could have been back in season one.

Moffat has said that he thinks it would be "no fun" for Sherlock to be asexual (as in the canon). Because writing the exact same thing male authors have been writing for decades is totally more fun than trying something different. But then, it's not like Moffat is a good enough writer to manage something besides the typical attractive, edgy straight white man who gets all the chicks.

kiaroskuro

plus there's the interview with Moffat where he said that Sherlock being asexual was boring.

Wait, did he really say that? I can't believe it. I for one think asexual characters are so much more interesting - most of the time. It's always the same old story with everyone else. Male meets female, sexual tension, the inevitable love affair, blah blah.

I'm going to watch The Sign of Three in about an hour - very excited! But I also quite like your idea to save you a treat for the summer break ... I should do that, too.

Moffat: "It’s the choice of a monk, not the choice of an asexual. If he was asexual, there would be no tension in that, no fun in that – it’s someone who abstains who’s interesting."

Yeah, because you can't write interesting conflicts over asexuality. Or interesting conflicts that have nothing to do with sex.

Moffat: "There's no indication in the original stories that he was asexual or gay. He actually says he declines the attention of women because he doesn't want the distraction. What does that tell you about him? Straightforward deduction. He wouldn't be living with a man if he thought men were interesting."

I haven't read the books in some years, but I seem to recall him making occasional comments about disinterest beyond simple distraction. He talks about marriage occasionally, but that was a societal expectation at the time, and one which he seems to find a bothersome duty rather than a possible interest.

As for living with a man...seriously? Plenty of straight men and women live together without getting romantically or sexually involved. Plenty of straight men have gay roommates and it's totally platonic. It's not impossible or even all that uncommon. That isn't even an argument against his homosexuality, it's just Moffat showing how little he understands people.

Kiwi_Kitty

It's just TV. If it makes someone feel good thinking a character is ace so they can relate or whatever I say go for it.

Yes, thank you for saying this! Isn't the purpose of media (literature, art, TV shows, etc.) for the viewer to interpret it for themselves? Even if the producers say one thing, if the majority of the viewership believes the opposite, no one should be allowed to say the viewers are wrong.

RosettaAce

Moffat: "It’s the choice of a monk, not the choice of an asexual. If he was asexual, there would be no tension in that, no fun in that – it’s someone who abstains who’s interesting."

Yeah, because you can't write interesting conflicts over asexuality. Or interesting conflicts that have nothing to do with sex.

Moffat: "There's no indication in the original stories that he was asexual or gay. He actually says he declines the attention of women because he doesn't want the distraction. What does that tell you about him? Straightforward deduction. He wouldn't be living with a man if he thought men were interesting."

I haven't read the books in some years, but I seem to recall him making occasional comments about disinterest beyond simple distraction. He talks about marriage occasionally, but that was a societal expectation at the time, and one which he seems to find a bothersome duty rather than a possible interest.

As for living with a man...seriously? Plenty of straight men and women live together without getting romantically or sexually involved. Plenty of straight men have gay roommates and it's totally platonic. It's not impossible or even all that uncommon. That isn't even an argument against his homosexuality, it's just Moffat showing how little he understands people.

Sorry for misquoting, but yeah!

I read one of the stories at least once a year, and you are right, it goes beyond distraction, besides Doyle himself said that Holmes was like a machine and just as likely to fall in love. I think I quoted that somewhere in this thread.

As for the comment about living with a man... that is patently wrong! You are right, so many people live with people of the same sex and sexuality doesn't come into play. Besides in the time the books were written people would live with companions and they weren't necessarily romantic or sexual relationships!

• 3 weeks later...

How about Mr Roper from Three's Company? Also Al Bundy from Married With Children? Neither of these guys ever want sex!

I have to disagree about Al Bundy, lol. But on a lighter note, Spongebob's creator defended the gay rumors by saying, Spongebob is asexual. But IDK, I just think he's a kid, and most kids or people with kid-mentalities aren't sexual nor can they consent to sexual behavior. IMO, some fictional characters, especially in older shows, films, and books are made to seem asexual because of their race (Mammy in Uncle Tom's Cabin), age(Mr. Roper), etc. Even the Flintstones looked asexual because Fred and Wilma had seperate beds (awww, the prudish tv years of the 50s and 60s).

ChihuahuaDaddy

How about Mr Roper from Three's Company? Also Al Bundy from Married With Children? Neither of these guys ever want sex!

Al Bundy wasn't asexual as much as he was turned off by Peg. He probably has thought of having sex with somebody else.

• 3 months later...

This is actually mentioned in another forum, but I thought I'd mention Monkey D. Luffy from the manga/anime One Piece. Post can be found here, as I want this person credited about mentioning it first.

This is actually mentioned in this very forum thread. Look at the bottom of page 1.

On a related note, Piccolo from Dragon Ball Z. Alphonse Elric (Full Metal Alchemist) is one too. Uryu Ishida is yet another.

For video games, Basch from Final Fantasy XII is an awesome one. Toad from Super Mario. Ryu from Street Fighter. Ike from Fire Emblem could easily represent, but it is speculated that he is gay.

Then there are the giants from La-Mulana (appear to be neutois/agender/genderless as well). And Mr. Gold/Rumplestilskin from Once Upon a Time.

Anyway, I wonder why this forum is so limited. Fiction is chalk full of asexual characters.

ranting ferret

i think someone had mentioned merida from brave in another post. and, well, i think i could see that as a possibility.

moss from the IT crowd.

personally, i wouldn't totally discredit a character just because of "this one time" they had sex or even married someone. as there are real life aces who've had sex and/or are married. thought granted, at that point, it does make things a lot more difficult to determine since they're fictional. that makes this a lot harder to determine and so a black/white perspective on ace characters feels helpful and easier. it's mostly up to the one who created the character, risking a misunderstanding of asexuality. >sigh< oh fiction. the fun we have with you.

though i think saying an ace character makes things boring foolish and lacks imagination of any kind.

• 3 weeks later...
Sir_Lord_Brit

It's stated in The Doctor's Daughter that the Time Lords didn't need to have sex to reproduce, so the Doctor having grandchildren isn't an indication of him being sexual. I personally think that he's at least grey asexual or demisexual.

TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

Frodo! ...or maybe no hobbits are interested in sex? :o

Nah, Hobbits are totally interested in sex as a species. Not sure about Frodo in particular, but Sam and his wife Rosie had 13 kids. It's safe to say those two probably had a lot of sex to have that many children.

Cletus Kasady (Marvel Comics) 100% asexual with somewhat fluid romantic orientation, but probably close to aromantic.

Okay, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but Arthur Martin from Six Feet Under seems to be a romantic asexual, which is a rare thing to see represented in the media. I should mention that I don't actually watch that show, but my mum and my brother do and pointed out the character to me.

Also, please please please, when we talk about Sherlock Holmes, can we actually talk about Sherlock Holmes? It seems that everyone sees only 'Sherlock' now. Don't get me wrong, I love that show. It's my favourite show. But Holmes, the Conan Doyle character, is the one that reads as aromantic asexual.

Sheldon, I do believe is asexual, probably demi-romantic.

Amy seems pretty sexual to me.

As for Frozen, I have huge problems with that movie. The fact that Elsa doesn't enter a relationship doesn't make her asexual. If anything, it may make her aromantic. But that is NOT the same thing. As a romantic asexual, I don't relate at all to Elsa. I relate to pretty much any other Disney character better than I relate to Elsa.

Disney movies never show characters as sexual anyway. The difference with Elsa is that she's happily single. That is just not what asexuality is.

Plus I have other qualms with that film, such as the way it merrily craps all over every previous Disney movie. They just want to appeal to teenagers so they go with the classic teenager "Disney movies are soooo lame with the cheesy romantic themes" attitude.

To me, Beauty and the Beast, for instance, is a thousand times better storytelling than Frozen. It is a lot more magical and beautiful, a lot more meaningful and powerful.

So there. That's my rant here. XD

I haven't seen the Dexter TV show, but I've read the first two books. From what I recall, it's implied that he has sex a few times but doesn't really understand why he does it--so he's possibly asexual and/or aromantic. It's hard to tell. I think he also says something about being with Rita not so much because he has feelings for her, but because he wants to protect her kids. But it's been a few years, so I could be remembering wrong.

And I think it's definitely possible that Adrian Monk is ace, but he probably did have sex at least once in his life--I remember an episode where he said "Trudy and I went all the way!" I think he said it trying to make some quasi-ex-girlfriend jealous? Actually, if that's the case, he could have been making it up... I don't remember the details of the episode.

Frodo! ...or maybe no hobbits are interested in sex? :o

Nah, Hobbits are totally interested in sex as a species. Not sure about Frodo in particular, but Sam and his wife Rosie had 13 kids. It's safe to say those two probably had a lot of sex to have that many children.

They may have had sex purely for procreation reasons and not had any actual interest in the act itself :o haha though yes, you're probably right :p

The hobbits just certainly don't come across as sexual beings to me, but then again, no one really does in LOTR except.. ehe.. possibly Legolas and Gimli.. totally my all time fave ship *.*

And I think it's definitely possible that Adrian Monk is ace, but he probably did have sex at least once in his life--I remember an episode where he said "Trudy and I went all the way!" I think he said it trying to make some quasi-ex-girlfriend jealous? Actually, if that's the case, he could have been making it up... I don't remember the details of the episode.

Funny that you should mention it, I watched that episode just a few weeks ago and it got me wondering. Was he telling the truth? Was he bragging about their relationship for fear of being seen as the unpopular and socially awkward loser he used to be?

Monk = asexual? That's the big question. I'm trying to collect evidence as I rewatch the episodes.

I think Merida (Brave) seems an asexual. The reason being, she doesn't seem interested in any fancy prince-charming theory nor is curious about boys. For her, her independence and skills matter.

I love Merida from Brave, but I never saw her specifically as asexual. She's happily single. So at a push, maybe aromantic. But technically, all Disney characters appear asexual. None of the Disney relationship seem to involve any sort of lust.

I love Merida from Brave, but I never saw her specifically as asexual. She's happily single. So at a push, maybe aromantic. But technically, all Disney characters appear asexual. None of the Disney relationship seem to involve any sort of lust.

Agreed. I think perhaps the lack of romance in Brave, in particular, is because the key relationship in that movie is between her and her mother. It also presents a somewhat more progressive view of women and their place in society than the vast majority of the Disney Princess movies, which are all about falling in love and living happily ever after. Having a prince sweep Merida away at the end would kind of destroy that.

But by all means, there's more than enough room to at least consider the idea that Merida might be ace, or aromantic. Head-canons, fire away.

They may have had sex purely for procreation reasons and not had any actual interest in the act itself :o haha though yes, you're probably right :P

The hobbits just certainly don't come across as sexual beings to me, but then again, no one really does in LOTR except.. ehe.. possibly Legolas and Gimli.. totally my all time fave ship *.*

Speaking of Gimli and Legolas, didn't you love the Gimli reference in the Hobbit? :lol:

I think with hobbits, its just that they're so small. In the Fellowship of the Ring we see scenes of Boromir wrestling with the hobbits like a dad would with his kids. So even though they're adults, they're seen as adorable and child like, rather than adults who probably can enjoy sex as much as any other species. I do see how Bilbo and even Frodo could be viewed as ace though.

Archived