What's your religion?

BannedForSatire

1. 1. What's your religion?

• Christian (any form, Catholic, Baptist, Methodist etc)
    • Judaism
    • Islam
    • Atheism
    • Agnosticism
    • Wiccan/Pagan/Polytheistic (specify)
    • Pantheism or Panentheism
    • Unsure
    • Other (specify)

This poll is closed to new votes

I chose Christian, since that's where I fit, being raised LDS/Mormon. I've been questioning my own spirituality recently, however... Probably just due to some of the things that contradict each other. Bahh... Overall, I'm not 100% certain about it, going through some stages of rediscovery.

My asexuality has nothing to do with my religion.

That's interesting, though! Actually, two of the first people to whom I came out at school are LDS, and they (along with my Catholic friend) were the most immediately accepting non-queer-community people I told, even having never before heard of asexuality. Not trying to imply anything negative about Mormonism at all, but I think we don't always expect that kind of acceptance from the more stereotyped-as-strict organized religions. They get a bad rep for being close-minded when often their members are not, which is kind of a shame.

Yeah, I'm a relatively open person, regardless of my religious preferences and such. In comparison to most of the people I know in the church, I'm a much more accepting person than they are. Hopefully people will change and the church won't have such a bad image in the queer community.

goat cheese

I don't believe in the god Apollo himself, for example, but I do believe in what he personifies, creativity, the arts, and healing and Apollo is the form those things take in my mind. Does that make sense? Probably not.

Sounds like simple, obvious psychology to me. You simply formed an association in you're mind between Apollo and those qualities. Very similar I guess to what psychoanalysts call free association. If one person says "planets" and the other person immediately and automatically thinks "outer space" that's free association. So, if someone speaks of creativity, arts, and healing then Apollo quickly comes to your mind. Try it. Play a game with it.

As for my beliefs, I started as a child as materialistic, scientific, and atheistic. Or just not interested in God. One or the other. I pondered things like the brain and consciousness, and Einstein. Eventually I began getting beautiful intuition and insight of metaphysical and spiritual nature. Just like Einsteins principles were beautiful concepts to me. Now I believe in God, the unity of all things and their coexistance with the physical universe. Western science and Eastern philosophy and wisdom are two sides of the same coin. Ultimately I think science and spiritualism will merge. They ultimately have the same goal, God. ALL THAT IS. I don't consider myself any specific religion. I'm like into spiritualism. And whatever religion works best for others is their religion.

I don't think my sexuality has anything to do with my spiritual beliefs except that maybe my lack of sexual desire and distraction has given me more room to think of these matters. Just perhaps.

HardToComeBy

Whait, whaaaaat?!

Atheism isn't a religion! What gives? Many religions don't have deities.

I would have to check both [Athesm] and [Other]

Brilliant poll. Brilliant.

goat cheese

Whait, whaaaaat?!

If you were referring to me, I did not even know the word atheism in my youth. I was not interested in Sunday school either. I was extremely introverted and preoccupied with science and other things. Wasn't trying to define ANYTHING. I was telling my story and beliefs. Whatever you were saying.

HardToComeBy

Whait, whaaaaat?!

If you were referring to me, I did not even know the word atheism in my youth. I was not interested in Sunday school either. I was extremely introverted and preoccupied with science and other things. Wasn't trying to define ANYTHING. I was telling my story and beliefs. Whatever you were saying.

What I was referring to was the poll itself - more specifically the way it is set up. Atheism should not be on the list at all, much less as an entry of its own when the question is stated as "what is your religion?"

Atheism is not a religion, rather it is a stance on a single position - whether or not one believes in the existence of deities. Think of it more as an observable trait - one that you observe when classifying religions or people's beliefs in a more general sense.

It is possible - common, even - for one to be both atheistic and religious, e.g. Buddhist, Raelian, etc.

Many religions also consist of both theistic and atheistic factions. Subsets, if you will.

As an example, many Jews do not believe in the existence of gods (or at least in the existence of the traditional god of the jews). They are Jewish atheists.

The same critique can laid out against the agnostic entry above, for many of the same reasons.

In order to proberly classify myself, Mr. HardToComeBy, it would involve checking several boxes, something that by the very nature of the quiz is impossible.

InterPlatonic

I was brought up to be a Muslim but it was never going to happen. So I have considered myself to be an atheist for many years until recently when I learnt about deism. So now I think I am a deist.

What do you think about Buddhism? I think it is more of a way of life than a religion.

goat cheese

What do you think about Buddhism? I think it is more of a way of life than a religion.

I see you're point. Buddhists lives seem to consist of meditation, yoga and little else. It's like their life missions to attain nirvana. I remember reading that buddhism has little in common with what we think of as religion. But I guess they still have their beliefs. I read in an encyclopedia that Buddhism in general holds that reincarnation DOESN'T exist, but that the soul shatters into parts and sparks at death. These sparks then merge with other sparks creating a NEW soul, and with it, the karmic attributes of the last soul. They hold that what survives death is the will to live. Other than that I don't really know much about Buddhism.

As an example, many Jews do not believe in the existence of gods (or at least in the existence of the traditional god of the jews). They are Jewish atheists.

Ethnically/culturally Jewish, sure. (Much as I've heard some atheists identify as "culturally Catholic"... as an ex-Catholic, I can relate to the pervasiveness of having grown up with that faith all too well. *sigh*)

But someone identifying as religiously Jewish and as an atheist at the same time? That would get a "sure you are, sweetums *pats head*" from me (at least mentally). That stance is obviously either dishonest, delusional, or just very, very confused; either way, I won't take it seriously.

Unsure. I'm supposed to be Catholic but... ehh... well, that's according to my mother. Not sure what I actually want to believe in, if at all.

Glitter Spock

I chose "other," because my religious beliefs don't quite fit any category listed at the moment. I believe in reincarnation and in an omniscient entity called Spirit (that I am not sure is a substance, a single being or a group of beings), and my beliefs include that there are individuals who have the ability to understand non-linguistic communications from Spirit. I believe Spirit occupies a non-physical non-spatiotemporal existence, but I don't know if I would call Spirit anything like "god." So I hesitate to call myself anything in the theist category.

BannedForSatire

Buddhism isn't a religion. It's a philosophy. People who worship Buddha as a god are confused and not taking his teachings the way he intended.

Glitter Spock

Buddhism isn't a religion. It's a philosophy. People who worship Buddha as a god are confused and not taking his teachings the way he intended.

I think a lot of actual Buddhists would disagree with both of you. Just because it isn't conventionally theistic doesn't suddenly make it NOT a religion. People do worship the Buddha as an example to be followed, and it is a highly organized religion.

BannedForSatire

I think a lot of actual Buddhists would disagree with both of you. Just because it isn't conventionally theistic doesn't suddenly make it NOT a religion. People do worship the Buddha as an example to be followed, and it is a highly organized religion.

I know that it can be a religion, I just don't consider it one. Though I suppose I could have included it as an option regardless but I think "other" covers it pretty well.

What I've read about Buddhism is far far different than what most westerners think it is. For example, karma isn't about some kind of magical force that distributes justice for good and bad behavior it's about cause and effect of wise or foolish choices. Reincarnation isn't literally meant as one soul going from one body to another either. But considering how goofy a lot of people are about Christianity and not following Jesus' teachings I suppose it's equally as legit....

I ummed and ahhed between Atheist and Agnostic, but finally plumped for Agnostic as that is how I've classed myself for most of my adult life, however the older I get the more I lean towards Atheism. I've never been a spiritual or religious person, but a small (getting smaller by the day) part of me would like to believe there was something.

That_Girl_With_Red_Hair

No, my asexuality doesn't have anything to do with my religion, in fact my religion doesn't have any thing much to do with my life at all its just something I sometimes put on a form. Sure I belief that a human has a soul and that there's an afterlife but that belief doesn't dictate my life and I don't have to be religious to have this belief. In my humble option if there is a God then he/she gave me free will and I intend to use it in any way I see fit.

I consider myself a Buddhist, but I could also look at any other system that is non-theistic and doesn't require belief. If a religion tells me that I have to worship god/s, or even believe that they exist then I would never follow it. The same goes for any religion that tells me I have to "behave a certain way, or be damned".

I feel much the same about my sexual orientation as I did before finding out about Buddhism. Especially as Buddhism is fairly (but not fully) accepting of sexual minorities. However, I now value the body (and therefore sex) less and value the mind more.

Here's my take on this: Buddhism is a religion of practice and experience rather than belief. Hmmmm.....

I know that it can be a religion, I just don't consider it one. Though I suppose I could have included it as an option regardless but I think "other" covers it pretty well.

I think the word "Religion" can be used as a catch-all term. Because of this, I reckon Buddhism can fall under the category of religion. But there are almost countless religions, and I understand that they can't all be included in the poll. So "other" it is then.

Dara_Effe'

I have no religion. I study various religions and study various other things in my life to hone my spiritual personality. I will always learn for the rest of my life to grow spiritually, but do not worship or practice religion. I perform witchcraft and manipulate energy.

Christian. My sexuality has nothing to do with that. When I was younger I was against lgbt because I was in denial myself and that was really stupid. I don't and I never will believe that sexuality in any form is a sin. That's nonsense.

I'm an atheist. As for it impacting my asexuality, I don't think so.

I was raised as a Catholic, I still am, and I always will be. I don't think my religion is linked to my asexuality, except for how I can be a celibate without even trying. ...I'm not sure I stated that correctly, but whatever.

I grew up Christian, found out I have Jewish roots, and am leaning toward agnostic.

I don't think it has anything to do with my asexuality.

A Meaningful Username

Whait, whaaaaat?!

What I was referring to was the poll itself - more specifically the way it is set up. Atheism should not be on the list at all, much less as an entry of its own when the question is stated as "what is your religion?"

Atheism is not a religion, rather it is a stance on a single position - whether or not one believes in the existence of deities. Think of it more as an observable trait - one that you observe when classifying religions or people's beliefs in a more general sense.

It is possible - common, even - for one to be both atheistic and religious, e.g. Buddhist, Raelian, etc.

Many religions also consist of both theistic and atheistic factions. Subsets, if you will.

The same critique can laid out against the agnostic entry above, for many of the same reasons.

In order to proberly classify myself, Mr. HardToComeBy, it would involve checking several boxes, something that by the very nature of the quiz is impossible.

The name/question of the poll is what you have a problem with. But I think you need to cut the poll creator a bit of slake. I agree that atheism and agnostic are not religions and depending on your definition of religion neither are beliefs such as buddhism. Perhaps a better name would have been What are your spiritual beliefs?" but that might also cause some definition problems.

So my point is, the question is short sweet and anyone who reads it gets what the poll creator meant. If you wanted to create a question that includes everyone's definition of religion or spirituality then the question would be long and few people would bother reading it and voting (come on you can't deny that people are lazy and would not spend the extra couple of seconds reading it).

soMeRandoM670

Im christian, and has not much to do with my sexuality, have been asked how do i "justify my sexuality" with my beleifs, because mine very complicated where i recently decided to stick to asexual because of how it's best of sexual orientation choices to define myself in one word. I do expereince homosexual sexual attraction but have no desire or want ever act, its complicated but, its means im not truly asexual, but thing is, i just completely ignore my attraction that i simply dont want becasuse, i want pretty much love not sex. I ignore males pretty much as option for someone be in relationship with. and this not because im christian, its because who i am. so thats why i identify as asexual because i ignore sexual attraction to males because i dont have drive/want/willingness act on it, and i lack sexual attraction to females. im mabye grey but that does not make that much sense, since i dont have any romantic connection or bond with men when expereince it.

• 3 weeks later...
LarissaFae

and liberals/lefties will of course veer away from organised tradionalist religions.

tumblr_m17j9cym4y1qzhfn8.gif

I'm a liberal/leftie and I'm Muslim. My sexual and romantic orientations don't prevent me from being religious.

HighViolet

Atheist

I come from a Christian family and I've been raised as such even if I never believed, and my orientation doesn't depend on having or not a religion

I have recently come to describe myself as an apatheist. I don't care whether or not any deities exist because you can't change the end result either way. If God does exist, I doubt I would change my attitude because God obviously hasn't been bothered it.

And no, my belief has nothing to do with my asexuality, it's just a part of my generally apathetic mindset.

red_brick_dream

By necessity, I voted "atheist," but I shan't be leaving without pointing out for the record that atheism is most definitely not a religion!

While I don't feel my rejection of superstition is related to my sexuality (or lack thereof), I do think there are some very compelling analogies between asexuality and atheism, on which I am in no state to elaborate further at the moment! I will return and post something more adequate.

Nameless123

I'm an atheist, and no, I don't think my asexuality has anything to do with my lack of religiosity, although I believe that it might have made it easier for me to accept the fact that I'm a bit different when it comes to sexuality, attraction, romance etc., since I don't believe in anything that tells me my behaviour or thinking are sinful.

And might I point out that "atheism" has a typo in the poll?

words are futile devices

I'm a follower of Christ, and I think my asexuality is just the way God designed me. I don't believe my Christian faith influences it either way. It simply is what it is. I went the first 21 years of my life assuming I was sexual, and just now realizing I'm not is surprising but doesn't make me worry about my faith - like whether it's acceptable or not. Before, I'd made a pledge of abstinence. Now, I realize abstaining probably won't ever be a challenge anyway, since I have absolutely no desire for it.

The way I see it, asexuality is a gift and a blessing, part of who I am and can contribute to my faith in certain ways, but is not influenced by it.

Vyanni Krace

I just say 'non-religious'. Its too complicated to specify further. Also, I just cant be asked, because I am far too lazy.

Archived