AVEN @ SF Pride - T-shirt design contest!

Sennkestra

Sennkestra

Right now, AVEN is currently gearing up for one of the biggest SF Pride events ever this upcoming june- in addition to marching in the SF Pride Parade for the fifth year in a row, we'll also be branching out and holding a full-on asexuality conference at UC Berkeley the Saturday before. In addition to help with raising money to fund conference expenses and printing publicity materials, we're also looking for help in designing an AVEN at SF Pride t-shirt so we can march with style.

And that's where we need you!

We are now looking for submissions of art to use on custom shirts for the parade, so we can make a bigger impact and giver everyone involved a cool souvenir to take home. Submissions could be a cool slogan, or one of your own drawings, or anything else that you think would look good! You can submit as many designs as you want, so be creative.

The chosen design will be featured on shirts worn by dozens of aces and allies as we March through SF, and the winning designer will receive a 1 lb. box of assorted sees candies*, a free shirt with their design, and our eternal gratitude.

*(if you have any dietary restrictions we can also work out an alternate prize)

For inspiration, here's some examples of asexy shirts people have designed for past events:

Worldpride 2012 (A)

Wordlpride 2012 (B)

San Francisco 2011

If you have any questions about the contest, or for more information about the SF Conference or Pride March in general, please feel free to drop us a line at info@asexuality.org.

Submission Requirements:

The deadline for submission is Saturday, May 25th, 2013. All submissions should be sent to info@asexuality.org, and should include a copy of your design, an email address that we can use to contact you, your name, and any other information you would like to include.

Designs should include a clearly displayed and readable reference to AVEN, The Asexual Visibility and Education Network, and/or asexuality.org; some reference to "San Francisco Pride, 2013" (or some variation thereof) is also preferrable.

Maximum size for t-shirt designs is approximately 16in X 12in; one design for the front and one for the back; we will also be able to do small sleeve prints (~3"x3") All designs should be at least 300dpi at the intended final size. We will be using high quality digital printing so there are no color limits!

In addition, please keep in mind the style guidelines below when creating your entries:

Design Guidelines:

~ Keep it relevant: designs should be asexuality-themed - for example, frogs may be cool, but they aren’t very relevant to the ace community. If you wish to use symbols not usually associated with ace pride or the ace community, please explain why you chose them!

~ Keep it simple: Try not to make the design too complex, and consider it practically. We want something that will be easily understandable at a glance, but still eye-catching. Try to avoid using photos or pictures

~Keep the message in mind: Be aware of the message your design conveys. Pride is huge opportunity to raise visibility, assert ourselves as legitimate and as representatives of our orientation, and designs should reflect that. Designs do not have to be super strict, but a design based on in-jokes like cake or Sherlock, for example, is unlikely to be taken as seriously by people not familiar with the asexual community.

~Keep it appropriate and legal: No profanity, swear words, or explicit content, please. In addition, please do not include copyrighted images or other trademarked logos or brands in your designs, with the exception of official AVEN symbols.

Even if your design is not chosen for the shirts, your idea may still be chosen for stickers, leaflets or other vis/ed materials.

Also, please note that all designs are not final and may be subject to changes made by the SF Pride planning committee. By submitting entries into this contest, you are giving permission to use, reproduce, or modify any designs submitted with the understanding that the final design will be paraded publicly and is likely to appear in photographs and film which may be broadcast or made available for viewing online.

SF Pride this year will be both a fun event and a fantastic visibility opportunity, so send in your design ideas and help us make it even more awesome!

I really want to do this, but I don't have any ideas at the moment :huh: Also, can you guys open Adobe Illustrator files?

Sennkestra

I really want to do this, but I don't have any ideas at the moment :huh: Also, can you guys open Adobe Illustrator files?

I can open any adobe creative suite files - photoshop, indesign, illustrator, etc.

If you need ideas we can suggest some!

Does this count? It's just simple text.

BannedForSatire

How many designs can we enter?

Sennkestra

How many designs can we enter?

You can enter as many as you want!

Does this count? It's just simple text.

Yes, text-based designs definitely still count!

BannedForSatire

Well I have these designs so far but I don't know which one is better and if people will like either one...

pan31_zpsd1b03288.png

pan28_zps7036eb8d.png

BannedForSatire

I also came up with this one...

flag5_zpsae09e9ab.png

I really like the one with all the playing cards. (Might be easier to print/more hard-wearing, as fewer large blocks of colour ?)

BannedForSatire

I really like the one with all the playing cards. (Might be easier to print/more hard-wearing, as fewer large blocks of colour ?)

Thanks.

I think it depends on how they're printed... I've seen some shirts with plastic-y print on the surface that cracks in the dryer pretty easily but I've had some graphic tees that have lasted years because the fabric itself is dyed to match the design.

So I'm not terribly active around here, but I saw the call for designs over on tumblr, and...I had some old art that I wanted to make into an ace shirt for myself? The tumblr tags seemed to think it was a good idea to enter it here, so I tweaked it.

aawbillshirtsfplittle.png

Technically it's really in-joke-y (it's a pun on the scientific designation for asexual rams in sheep sexual orientation studies...I'm a vet nerd so it's my area of interest, but the studies are mentioned in Understanding Asexuality so sheep are a thing in asexual literature), but I've been using the character to ocassionally make asexuality-related comics and things, and the quote is a Hamlet one I've seen people use for asexuality so it can also maybe work as a general cute thing? I don't know, tumblr seemed to like it.

I made a thing for the back of the shirt too so that it covers all the requirements explicitly

avenbacklittle.png

and I've got big versions, but I thought I'd chuck these in here and see what people here thought >>

Thanks.

I think it depends on how they're printed... I've seen some shirts with plastic-y print on the surface that cracks in the dryer pretty easily but I've had some graphic tees that have lasted years because the fabric itself is dyed to match the design.

I like your ideas! They look really nice! :cake: :cake: :cake:

I would only turn A.V.E.N. into AVEN or something more explicitly saying "Asexual" or "Asexuality" :cake:

I like Scarf's too, it's intriguing-appealing on the front and then has all the explanation on the back.

Is there any chance that any of these might end up in the shop one day ?

(for those of us who like more designs than will get chosen, and are a long way from SF)

BannedForSatire

I like your ideas! They look really nice! :cake: :cake: :cake:

I would only turn A.V.E.N. into AVEN or something more explicitly saying "Asexual" or "Asexuality" :cake:

Thanks. If you or anyone else wants to use my designs as a base and tweak them that would be fine with me.

Maybe if possible it could say "Asexuality Visibility Education Network" on the back?

• 2 weeks later...
BannedForSatire

Here's another..

truth1_zps338f4644.png

It's supposed to be like "the truth is out there" in relation to paranormal phenomena.

jamesdemonic

I don't live in San Francisco or the United States for that matter, can I still take part in the contest?

I'm pretty sure you can.

Sennkestra

I don't live in San Francisco or the United States for that matter, can I still take part in the contest?

Yep! Anyone can enter.

jamesdemonic

Good to know, might try come up with some designs then

do you need more imagery? I can whip something up if you do, but if there aer a lot of enteries I have something else I need to work on.

Eleanor L.

I've emailed in a couple of sketches, SO sorry I wasn't able to draw them up properly before the deadline.

It's just been a crazy week.

My email was such a mess! I didn't really get my designs finished either, Eleanor.

I'm not marching, i don't live there but i still signed up and support!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again, and thank you so much to all of you who entered!

After a lot of deliberation (we had so many great entries!) the final selection is scarf!

aawbillshirtsfplittle.png

Again, thanks so much to all who entered!

Will there be pics of the actual shirt being worn on the day of the parade?

yes! We'll hopefully be posting lots of pics from the parade.

Ha, I thought that you were making scarves for SF Pride. :P

Have lots of fun, you all! I wish I could be there with you :)

Archived