Siblings   

1. 1. How many siblings do you have?

• None (only child)
    • One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four
    • Five or more
  2. 2. What is your relation to them in terms of age?

• Eldest
    • Older than most
    • Middle child
    • Younger than most
    • Youngest
    • N/A - Only child

This poll is closed to new votes

I did the statistical evaluation. I excluded those with no siblings.

With 101 people with one sibling, 63 people with two siblings, 14 with three siblings, 5 with four siblings, and 12 with five siblings (sorry I'm pretending those with more have five- if anything that means my data is underestimating how strange it is that we have so many eldests), the random most likely number of eldests would be 78, and the odds for a random person with this sibling distribution being eldest are 0.4 (78/195).

In a binomial equation where odds of something happening are 0.4, and we have 195 trials, standard deviation is roughly 6.841, the expected number of eldests is 78, the observed number is 100, the surplus number is 22, the z score for that is 3.21587, making the one tailed p = 0.0007.

That means that the odds that being eldest has nothing to do with whether or not you answered this survey is less than one in a thousand.

It is exceedingly probable that answering this survey is linked to being eldest.

Possible reasons:

-Having older (maternal) siblings has been correlated to homosexuality. Perhaps being youngest decreases odds of asexuality.

-Maybe people who are higher in the birth order are more interested in filling out a poll about birth order.

-Maybe people who are higher in the birth order spend more time online.

-Maybe having younger siblings makes people asexual.

P.S. The number of youngests is 55, which is 23 away from the expected number, and so the z score is 3.362, making the one tailed p about 0.0004, which is even less likely. We have very few youngests compared to the expected value.

I'm the eldest of two. My brother is just a couple years my junior. We are very close as we basically raised eachother. We are very much alike, he's like a bigger, more studious and sexual version of me with brown hair. We're still always dressing in similar ways and having the same haircuts even though we live hundreds of miles apart.

I have 5 siblings, 2 brothers. 3 sisters, most people think I am the youngest, but am actually the 4th, have 2 younger sisters.

I'm the oldest of three, and the only girl.

My middle brother is the one I get along best with, even though we are really very different- he's outgoing and has a quick temper, and I'm reserved, introverted, and not easily angered. My youngest brother is VERY much like me, but I'm not as close to him.

Interestingly enough, I have suspected my middle brother of also being asexual.

Youngest of 4, 2 older brothers and a sister, my sister lives with me and my mom while everyone else is out of the house. We get along really well. Although every time she talks I face palm

I have an older sister and a younger brother. I was a middle child.. And I gotta say, it does have its perks.

I'm doing a chart on basically exactly this information (where asexuals land within sibling count) and I was wondering if I could possibly use this information for my chart? Unless this poll wasn't strictly for asexuals, and then I will make my own, but I thought I might ask first since this poll has already been up for a while...

On to the questions:

I had an older brother and have one half-brother (also older) from my father. I'd like to think we had a really good relationship, but honestly I don't see my half-brother often and my older brother died a few years ago after both of us being in boarding school and a year in college, so for the last few years we didn't see much of each other except during vacations... that last vacation we got along really well, though. My half brother is something like 15 years older, my full blooded brother is 3-4 years older depending on the time of year.

We are all extremely different from each other. We all struggled in school and are interested in science, but in different ways. My half-brother is interested in practical science (he works on a farm) and is sort-of-ish illiterate? My full brother was very classroom-y with his science, designing biofuels and discussing why nuclear power is the best to put things into practice. He read from an extremely young age and could write very well, just not on a computer. I'm very theoretical-- I like hearing about science even if I don't understand it and I wonder how things work a lot. I couldn't read or write for a while but at this point do it more than either of them ever did. Even though it's totally about science and language, that basically describes all the various differences between us despite only being about two things. All our differences sort of stem off from those or can be related to them.

I'm doing a chart on basically exactly this information (where asexuals land within sibling count) and I was wondering if I could possibly use this information for my chart? Unless this poll wasn't strictly for asexuals, and then I will make my own

You might want to start a new one and mention that the poll is specifically for asexuals in the title of the topic and in the title of the poll. I am assuming this one is for all AVENites, and some of us aren't asexual.

I have a sister 3.5 younger and two half brothers 10 and 13 years older. I have a lot in common with my eldest brother and we also look very similar. It's kind of hard to describe what I have in common with my second brother but there are some similarities. My sister and I both love to read/watch tv and movies, and we are more language/arts oriented than science oriented, but we're pretty different that aside. We are still quite close though. I love all my siblings and we get along well even though we didn't grow up together. People usually think I am the youngest.

I have three younger brothers. One of them is only two years younger than me, and he's one of my best friends, as much as I hate admitting it to him or anyone ;D My other brothers are twelve years younger than me and identical twins. I love them to death. They get on my nerves, but I love them.

I have 3 step sisters and one half brother. I grew up mainly as an only child.

The weekends were spent with my step sisters (2 from my dads side - both older by 1-4 years and 1 from my mom - younger by 4 years). Due to my parents divorce, i alternated weekends with them. We don't talk much, but are stillvery close...note my sisters on dad's side and sister on moms side have never met.

I didn't know my half brother until 6 years ago. It was probably the best moment when i found him on Facebook as i grew up wanting to know him. We don't talk much either, but we have taken on the big brother/little sister role flawlessly =^^= and seeing my dads reaction to reconnecting with him after 30 years was priceless.

Growing up an only child, my cousin (8 years younger) quickly became the closest thing to a sister i have ever had and is also my best friend and we talk almost daily. We used to call eachother cousin-sisters. She's an only child as well and grew up in the mountains (her graduating class was only 20 people), so i also made an impact in her life.

I've got a younger brother (he's the middle child) and a younger sister (she's the youngest).

In addition to the poll items, I might as well add some open response kinds of questions:

What kind of relationship do you have with your siblings? Is there a significant age gap between you and any of your siblings? How similar/different do you feel you are from your siblings?

I get along pretty well with them both, though I do remember being annoyed at having to do things for them when we were younger, since I was the oldest. I am two years older than my brother and six years older than my sister.

I'm much more closer to my sister than my brother. Probably because we have more things in common? My brother is more social compared to my sister and I. He is always out, hanging with friends and whatnot. As for my sis, I am more serious and trusting compared to her.

I just thought this would be interesting to point out: My brother identifies as heterosexual, my sister identifies as demisexual, and I identify as asexual.

peanut-butter-cloud

I have two siblings, I'm the youngest and we all get along well.

Ace of Swords

I have 19 brothers and 4 sisters. And a stepbrother.

I did not get my asexuality from my biological father. Not remotely. I am at the younger end of middle.

Younger than most, five siblings.

I used to not get along with my siblings when we were kids, but now we all get along just fine. I'm not particularly close to them, but I trust them more than most people and can almost always count on them to be decent people and help me out if needed (and return the favor of course). Oldest sibling is 10 years older, youngest is only two years younger than me. Pretty big age gap overall, but we're pretty evenly spaced with just a couple years between the next one so I never really saw the oldest as being that much older than me (since they were just a few years older than the next and so on).

Used to hate having this many siblings since I didn't like them, but now I like them all so I'm grateful to have them.

littleheartsofjoy

I have an older sister and a younger brother. I was a middle child.. And I gotta say, it does have its perks.

I agree, it does and the same for both really :o

I am close to both, somewhat. My brother is one year younger than me, we have a number of similarities in personality. As for my sister, the only similarities we have are being emphatic and being perfectionists and she is 6 years older than me.

• 1 month later...

I'm the youngest of two and he's seven years older than me. We share a lot of the same interests and even have the same taste in girls and we both practice Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. He still sucks though because he's so annoying :)

I have two siblings both older Michelle who is 11 years older than me and Liam who is 10 years older then me and is the boyfriend of my wife.

rotanimonedaifg

I am an only child. Growing up I never really felt like I was missing anything though, I'm pretty comfortable being the only one. Sometimes siblings sound like they can be a lot of fun, though.

I have a half brother. We're 19 years apart. What a stupid idea.

My family tree is all messed up.

I have a half brother and we're 22 years apart but we're pretty close XD

Aside from that I have two younger brothers.

I voted '5 or more'.

I have 9 or 12 siblings. (It's complicated; none are whole siblings, four are step-siblings, but I think count because they are half-siblings to some of my half-siblings...)

I have an older sister and brother (they aren't related to one another though), but the rest are younger than me.

To answer the questions:

What kind of relationship do you have with your siblings?

For a tight-majority of my siblings, I'm pretty close to them. For the rest... we barely communicate to the point where it's been over a decade.

Is there a significant age gap between you and any of your siblings?

The biggest age-gap between me and my siblings would be my youngest siblings, starting with a 14 year gap, and a 16 year gap.

How similar/different do you feel you are from your siblings?

I'm very different from most of my siblings. There are four siblings that I have a lot of similarities with concerning likes and dislikes. There are three siblings that I look like I'm related. The rest of my siblings either look like my step-mom, my step-father, their biological father, or my biological mother. The three siblings that look like me, we get our characteristics from our biological father (like eyes, hair, nose, height).

Only two siblings falls into both categories of looking alike and liking similar things.

Only one sibling, out of the two, am I closer with in physical location and how often we talk.

SketchedExistence

I have one younger sister, who is eighteen years younger than me. She has a different father, but I could honestly care less. We get along pretty well, especially considering she is four years old. *laughs* She likes to gibber gab at me. I feel bad sometimes because I'll be busy and can't play as much with her. We goof off though too. She loves to play restaurant and drive-thru. She's super smart and is such a little princess. Love the little gremlin to bits.

I have one sibling. A fraternal twin sister. I'm the eldest by 45 minutes (my mom's been using it as an expression for our whole life. If we get impatient with waiting she says something along the lines of it being nothing compared to the longest 45 minutes of her life xD) and used to rub it in her face as a child that I was older and thus should get things first xD but, now that we're older, I feel like the youngest. We probably are alike in some ways (as we have quite a bit in common and like similar things) but, I feel like we aren't that similar. I have straight, brown hair, blue eyes and look eerily like our (step-) dad. She has wavy-to-curly blonde hair and hazel-green eyes and looks like a miniature of our mom. I'm also taller than her, though I was smaller than her when we first born. I'm more athletic and prefer being outdoors while she isn't athletic at all xD and prefers being inside on her computer. She's also much much smarter than I am, though I remember facts much better than she does. I always preferred Literature and History classes while she liked Science and Mathematics more. We did have the same social circle, though, as kids but they were closer to me than they were to her.

Growing up, I was the rough and tumble tomboy while she was the dressy princess who liked to play school (why on Earth would you want to play school at home when you already go to school all day long?!) and mom and stuff. We got along pretty awesomely as kids, though, as we would join forces and play together. I was usually the hero (as in action-ey, sword barring type, not literally, like, saving her. She was never a damsel in distress) and she... wasn't? She ran around and played ninja's with me and rode dragons and helped build the epic universe called Animal World (also known as Animaelia) but, calling her the hero seems weird so... maybe I'm biasing my own memories? OTL I'm pretty sure we were co-conspirators in our adventures.

I do know that I was a huge "Noona Worshipper" (Noona is what males call their older sister or just an older girl in Korean) and still am, though I would never admit it to her. As a child, I was quite social (or, at least, exploitative of other people's talents...) and played a lot with other kids and stuff (even if I didn't like you. If you could add to my story line/adventures, you were invited to play with me and other kids ^^; ), while she wasn't. She talked to other kids and played with me at school (on the playground, though, as we have always been in separate classes) but for the most part, other kids didn't seem to like her much. This caused me to use this for my own purposes as I would usually never help her make friends (not saying that I didn't defend her when needed, because oh buddy, you mess with her? You mess with me.) because I knew if she played with kids at school, she wouldn't play with me when we got home. At all. I remember telling on her to our mom sometimes, whining "Mommmmyyy! Joy won't play with meee!" Mommy's response: "Joy, just play with her. It only has to be for a little while." and then they would just look at each other until Joy complied. OTL

Our personalities have kind of switched since then. I'm a high school drop-out with no helpful social skills (and no friends) who's agoraphobic and compulsively fantasizes*. She has a stable relationship with her boyfriend, Wade, and has some friends (though, apparently not close friends. Just people she can hang out with sometimes and talk to and has some things in common with). I'm (grey-a) asexual and pan-romantic while she's bi-curious and a sexual ally. I'm also very envious of her relationship with Wade (though we get along quite well, considering he's a secret chip on my shoulder). I'm also gender-ehhh-call-me-he-please, while she's happily female. I'm constantly trying to get her into fashion and make-up and my other interests while she refuses; she's constantly trying to get me more into science and MLP while I refuse.

Ultimately, we have a good relationship though we do argue sometimes. She's always been there for me and will always be one of my closest friends (though not the closest friend. For some reason, we've both agreed that the terminology doesn't work in our heads and maybe it's 'cause we're family but, we can't see each other that way.) I dread when she goes off to college. And, at least if everything goes well, when her and Wade get "officially" engaged (they have promise rings right now). OTL I can't Noona Worship her if she's away! (cough cough yes I can cough) OTL

Interesting note, though, is that we always wanted to be identical - if only for a week to see what it might be like. Never happened, of course. We wanted to switch places in class and stuff. xD

*also known as maladaptive daydreaming. Not yet a recognized condition to be diagnosed by psychologists. Needs more studies/researching submitted.

Only (surviving) child. I would have had an older brother (had he survived). I grew up as an only, but did not mind it at all. I had my own space/room. I am an introvert so it suited me on that level too. However I am not sure if being an introvert is because I was an only or if I would have been different and more outgoing if I did have siblings. I did not have a lot of kids in my neighborhood either, so the closest thing I had to a brother was one of my cousins (one year older then me) that lived nearly a county away (I live in the largest county in Ohio, so it was rather far... but we saw each other often.)

Purrtrick Sturr

I am a middle child, I have an older brother on 20 and a younger sister on 13

Only child. I'm honestly glad I'm an only child. I do have a cousin I'm really close to and we are like sisters.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm a triplet and I have two brothers...so I said "middle child" since one was born before me and one was born after me. (by like...2 minutes)

clockworkclowns

I'm an only child and I've enjoyed it somewhat. Sometimes I'm greatful to have the full attention of my parents but I still wish I had a sibling bond. I used to have a friend when I was younger that was like a sister but we've grown quite far apart.

Archived