Siblings   

1. 1. How many siblings do you have?

• None (only child)
    • One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four
    • Five or more
  2. 2. What is your relation to them in terms of age?

• Eldest
    • Older than most
    • Middle child
    • Younger than most
    • Youngest
    • N/A - Only child

This poll is closed to new votes

Mezzo Forte

In addition to the poll items, I might as well add some open response kinds of questions:

What kind of relationship do you have with your siblings? Is there a significant age gap between you and any of your siblings? How similar/different do you feel you are from your siblings?

For those of you who are only children, did someone who was not a sibling of yours play a similar role that a sibling might play? Did you particularly like or dislike being an only child?

To answer some of my own questions, I have two siblings: a fraternal twin sister and an older brother. My twin is 2 minutes younger than me while my brother is 16 years older, so I'm technically a middle child in an unconventional sense. My brother was out of the house by the time I could form conscious memories, so I didn't have a typical sibling relationship with him, though I still care for him quite a bit. I actually had a little more of a sibling relationship with his first child, who was born right before I turned 9 years old. However, I did grow up with my twin, and she is the best friend I could honestly ask for. :) We're really different in ways that compliment each other, yet similar enough to have common interests to give us things to talk about. My sister was my social crutch growing up, and we had nearly identical social circles as a result. I think the only reason our circles differ at all nowadays is the whole "being at separate colleges" thing. I don't think I've ever had the stereotypical sibling arguments growing up since my sis and I always got along so well. Even now that my sister has been in a steady romantic relationship for a few years, our friendship is strong as ever, and I even consider her boyfriend to be like a brother to me. Even though my sister is romantic and sexual, she places a very high value on her friendships and does a great job of making everybody in a group feel included and engaged. I might be a wee bit biased, but my sis is a fantastic person :D

I've got a sister, she's younger than me. Luckily, we never fight; if we do, it's resolved quite quickly. I mean, we both understand that there's really not a point in bickering, especially when we're in the same house.

I have two real siblings, they are twins n younger than me (boys), true geeks. My mom moved together with a man that had 3 children..so they are kinda my siblings now too (after 11 years I can kinda say I see them as siblings), all older than me, tho the youngest are only 14 days older than me.

I pressed alternativ "two" since I only have two real ones, but if I count in the bonus ones I have 5.

WhenSummersGone

I'm the oldest and I just have 1 younger sister. We don't have much in common, except Weird Al and his music, but we get along well.

Notte stellata

Only child, didn't really care one way or the other. Sometimes I thought it would be nice to have an older brother, but any other option wasn't particularly appealing to me, especially having younger siblings. Most of the time I was totally content being an only child though, and never seriously wanted a sibling or even thought about it much, maybe because I'm a big loner anyway.

Kitty Spoon Train

Only child. I remember a few moments in my childhood when I kinda wished I had brothers or sisters, mostly because many other kids had them and you know how kids are about having what everyone else has? etc.

But no, those moments didn't last long, and overall I was a very independent kid. And grew up into an equally hyper-independent "adult". :lol:

I'm the oldest of four. I'm pretty distant with all of them, but they're used to it and don't mind. I think I became pretty much became a father figure for the youngest brother, since our dad died when he was nine (well, his dad, my step-dad, sort of). Even when we were kids, they'd all be play fighting and arguing while I preferred to be by myself, and would wander off.

Even though I say I'm distant, I would do anything to protect them- they are all my responsibility, and I take that seriously.

I have a sister who's seven years younger than me. Considering I'm 20 and she's 13, it goes without saying that we are rather different, even just because we're in completely different stages of life. Said difference is hyped by the fact she still lives in the Land of Peter Pan (i.e. she doesn't really fancy growing up) whereas I've always been eager to get older, learn new things, and walk towards independence. We're polar opposites in many things - she's a born extrovert, highly sociable and very touchy. Oh, and she doesn't like studying :P

It's okay though, we're in pretty good terms, even if we don't talk very much. We bicker a bit every now and then, but nothing more than what's healthy.

Not sure it counts, but I think of my best friend as a full-blown brother. We're not related by blood, though.

I have one sister, four years younger than me. We hated each other with a passion as kids/teens (just another check on the long list of dysfunctionality in our family *sigh*), but get along fine now that we're grown up and are both well-medicated on our mental health issues; talking on the phone once or twice a week nowadays.

The Great WTF

I'm the youngest of 13+ (it's a long story) and am actually closer in age to my siblings' children than any of my siblings. The oldest of us is in his late 50s and the ages fall somewhere between that and me at 23. It makes for awkward explanations sometimes, especially since I'm my mother's only child (my other siblings come from three others mothers) and I grew up separated from my siblings, so even people that have known me for quite a while don't always know I have siblings.

I'm very close to my brothers and sisters. After our dad died, they took it on themselves to make sure his baby girl was taken care of and loved and learned what needed to be learned. They're all very creative and unconventional people, a far cry from the people I grew up around, and going to visit them is always very much like finally coming home.

Special mention also needs to be added for my best friend of 20 years, the guy who served as my surrogate brother and whose parents played just as important of a role in my childhood as my own did. We don't get to see each other very often, but we're still extremely close and he's usually the person I go running to when I need to escape and relax.

I have one younger sister, 3 years younger than me, we're best friends and oddly, she might be asexual too. :huh:

My sister is about 2.5 years older than me, and we've always been really close. She's practically my best friend. Though she's the person I'm most scared to come out to, as she assumes I've had sex with my past boyfriends, and asks about my sex life a fair bit -_- Oh well. She's still awesome, though! She got me into the music I listen to, and we have really similar taste in stuff. Her boyfriend gets scared when we're both together, as we get really squealy apparently XD

SquirrelCat

I count as an only child.

I do have two half siblings but they are a lot older than me and we never lived together. I got one of them on facebook. She lives on the other side of the country so we don't see eachother more than an hour once every year (or every second year). The other I haven't seen since 1999 and we have no contact at all.

(We have the same father and he died in 1999.)

I have a sister who is 12 years younger than me.

My parents had her "accidently".

I have one younger sister, who's two years younger than me. We're the exact opposites in every sense of the word. She has blonde hair, I have brown. She has blue eyes, I have brown. She's extremely accomplished and goal orientated, goes to uni in another country, is very outspoken, into fashion and other girly things; I'm extremely shy, lazy, looking for word with no success, into gaming, movies etc. Usually, most of the time these days, when she comes home we don't speak to each other, because I'm afraid of her criticizing, which she usually does when it comes to me. She pretty much acts like the oldest sister lol. Apparently she's the only one allowed to do so too, since she gets outraged when other people bully me x___x so... maybe slightly overprotective with me too <.<;; bleh, it's a complicated relationship between sisters anyway xDD

I only have a younger sister. :) <3 I love her to bits. x3 She is a year and 11 months than me. We're complete opposites in just about everything. :) But we still get along well, especially since we both moved out.

Grumpy Alien

Only child. My mom had a really hard time getting pregnant and then they divorced when I was a toddler.

hedonistichealth

I have one sister, she's like a year and 8 months younger than me. We have very different personalities, but we sort of think the same, and have shared many of the same experiences, so we typically get along really well.

I'm the eldest of two by two years and three months. My relationship my sister is... Complicated.

We do love and care for each other, and we always have, but that doesn't stop us from clashing all the time. When we were younger we shared a lot of interests and were basically best friends, but there was a strong protector/charge aspect back then that doesn't work out much now. Also, I had a pretty mild preteenhood that was over quickly, whereas my sister is still stuck in the worst of it. I've always been somewhat controlling of her and now she lashes back so much that the merest suggestion or correction from me will spark an argument. Sometimes we'll try to act like old times but we've both grown and changed enough that it rarely works out well.

Generally now we just ignore each other during the day and only interact during set times or in the presence of our parents. On bad days we'll practically be enemies and someone will have to intervene before the verbal blows start flying. But sometimes she and I will be in the right mode to interact happily and successfully.

ObsessedWithCats

I have one sister two years younger than me and one sister six years younger than me. We’ve got plenty in common but we’re also very different in some ways; they’re both much more outgoing than me for a start. We bicker occasionally and I don’t talk to them much while I’m at university but they (and my parents) are my favourite people in the world. When they’re annoying I imagine how much worse it would have been if they had both been twins. Not unlikely given my family history.

Hazel lights

Interestingly enough I have one fraternal twin sister who's nine minutes older and one brother who's nine years younger. My little brother's so much younger it's hard to compare really. For twins my sister and I aren't that much alike at all and relations are complicated at best. My life these past couple years would honestly be better with out her in it. Her eating disorder is what makes things complicated. Because of it I can't hate her, but she's hard to deal with at times so I can't really say that I love her. So yeah my relationships between my siblings aren't really normal at all.

sound_the_bugle

What kind of relationship do you have with your siblings? Is there a significant age gap between you and any of your siblings? How similar/different do you feel you are from your siblings?

I have a really good relationship with my brother. I don't talk to him all that often, but when we're together we get along well. My sister I'm around far too often, and I don't get along with her at all. I also sometimes talk disparagingly about her, which some people instantly disapprove of, but I just don't get along with her well. I love her, I do, but it's very deep down, and I just can't express that most of the time. My brother is five years older, my sister two. I have some qualities in common with them both, but I'm mostly rather different. Despite being the youngest, I often feel the most mature, and I'm terrified of becoming my sister.

I am a year and a day younger than my brother. Our birthdays are July 11th and 12th. Mine is the 12th.

silverfirefox777

My older btother is 13.5 years older than me. We are close-ish but can be pola oppsites (in a good way). He is extroverted, looks completely different from me, and can be classed as annoying, he is also very protective of me. I'm highly introverted and don't speak to people much and have a habit of not liking his gfs. I am also highly protective of him. Many times we have been mistaken as a couple though (always fun, especially when we banter). Wouldn't trade him for anything though lol. :D

I have a brother who is 16 months younger than me and a sister who is 7 years younger. I moved away whereas they both stayed in our home town which means I only see them a few times a year. Now that we're adults I'm closer to my sister but I do get on with my brother as well.

We are very different in a lot of ways:

Me: introvert, I do have some close friends now but didn't have many friends in school. Asexual and never had a relationship. Liked maths and science at school. Now work as a software developer.

Him: always very popular with lots of friends. Highly sexual - had lots of girlfriends and one night stands before eventually getting married. Liked art and craft subjects at school. Now works as a builder and carpenter.

Her: has a smaller circle of friends but now spends most of her time with family. Had 2 short relationships before one long term one that started when she was 16 or 17. Liked humanities subjects at school and did a phychology degree.

My dad says that he has 3 children, one of each. People think he's making a bad joke but then he explains that he's not talking about gender he means that we're all individuals.

I've just joined the ranks of only children. Well, I do have a step-brother (10+ years elder than me) but we never lived together and I see him on average once a year.

I guess I'd prefer to have a sibling to interact with. I can't remember being desparate over not having a "full" sibling but I suppose it would be better for me, perhaps.

My brother and I couldn't be any different. I'm a huge geek who will only wear jeans and a t-shit (and my leather jacket- ALWAYS) and he's your typical "popular kid" who gets fancy haircuts and spends way too much money on clothes from places I wouldn't be caught dead in. Our family takes a lot of cruises and at the ports I visit the historic and cultural areas and all he ever does is go lie on the beach. Mexico? Beach. Greece? Beach. France? Beach. I don't even know why he comes on the damn trips, thousands of miles from home, when we live in MA and he can go drive up to the Cape and spend all the time he wants on the freakin beach. I like doing things for myself, he still relies on our parents to help him out however they can. He lives in the city and doesn't own a car, so he always needs our father to pick him up if he's coming home for a holiday or something. I'd never allow myself to have to rely on someone else like that.

We get along fine though, we just don't spend a lot of time together. I'm exactly like my dad, he's exactly like our mom. It's very weird, but hey, at least I get to be the guy.

I Shot the Serif

I've got a younger sister and an older brother. None of us are extremely far in age. Always got along with my brother, not so much with my sister. But we have a good relationship these days. Though I can find her excessively annoying and teenager-ish (doing things I find silly like dyeing her hair pink and getting into relationships with people who don't care about her in order to be in a relationship), she's a pretty cool person and has been like an older sister to me in many ways. Especially back in the days when I had virtually no social skills at all. :-)

ThaHoward

Well it is complicated. I am 18, then I got two elder sisters: 23 and 25 (I think) and three younger ones at the ages of 11, 10 amd 7 years old.

Archived