Asexuality-related webcomics

Thought I'd make a thread for this since I have a few webcomics to suggest that have asexual characters in them, and making a thread each would have been rather dispersive. :P

Aside from the one mentioned in this thread, we have...

Comics with officially outed asexual characters:

Girls with Slingshots ~ A funny occidental-style slice of life kind of story, exploring the everyday lives and relationships (both romantic and not) of a number of characters in a light-hearted, amusing fashion. One of the characters has been officially outed as asexual.

Supernormal Step ~ Story of a girl, Fiona Dae, who one day finds herself in a parallel supernatural world and attempts to find a portal to get back to her own. She is kissed by one of her friends at some point, but rejects her and states that she's not attracted to anyone. Her asexuality is later confirmed.

Ignition Zero ~ Fantasy-themed, it's the story of a university student who focuses on drawing and art in a city he'll soon find out to be populated by spirits, elves and other magical creatures. (Spoiler: more than one asexual character is in there!)

Dan and Mab's Furry Adventures (DMFA) ~ Another fantasy-themed comic with furry characters. One of them is first hinted at, and afterwards properly revealed as, asexual.

Lackadaisy ~ A series of short comics with cats as main characters. One of them was confirmed to be asexual by the comic author.

Chasing Shadows ~ Story of an asexual gothic lolita of sorts, who has a knack for everything paranormal and eventually comes in contact with an alien civilisation.

Candy Hearts Resistance ~ Casual and fun-oriented. At some point, a character comes out as asexual and has a discussion with another of the characters. Nothing much else has happened besides that, at least as far as asexuality is concerned.

Comics with (reasonably) suspected asexual characters:

Questionable Content ~ Similar to Girls with Slingshots in a way, as it can be classified as a slice of life as well, yet with a storyline centered on indie/alternative music. One of the characters, Hannelore, manifests little to no interest in sexual and/or romantic relationships and claims having never been attracted to anyone before.

Ace-friendly comics and other similarly themed stories:

Horizontal Process ~ A comic about asexuality and some related themes by two AVENites, BeardyBen and Keeks. (Thanks to: Lt. ithasha Yar)

Dinosaur Comics ~ No "real" asexual characters, but asexuality has been mentioned in two strips so far. (Thanks to: ObsessedWithCats)

El Goonish Shive ~ Some partially alien characters are referred to as non-sexual. (Thanks to: ObsessedWithCats)

Poly in Pictures ~ Occasionally features asexuality and also explores a lot of other topics related to polyamory, gender, and sexuality. Self-identified asexual author. (Thanks to: Law of Circles)

Ace Comics ~ Various asexual media, mostly pictures and short, one-page comics. (Thanks to: Siggy)

Eye for an Eye ~ Old webcomic (possibly discontinued?) with three asexual characters, one aromantic, two romantic ones, by AVEN user Po. (Thanks to: Lt. ithasha Yar)

Thunder Roarer ~ A comic that was linked in an old AVEN thread. No specific information was found, but it's supposed to be asexuality-related and include an asexual character. (Thanks to: Lt. ithasha Yar)

TheNaughtyNeutrois

Wow haha, sweet, I'm gonna check 'em all out now.

ObsessedWithCats

Potential mild spoilers to follow.

Girls with Slingshots does indeed have a definite asexual character, although she never refers to herself as such the author has (I think) referred to her as asexual, and she’s in a romantic relationship with a main character. She doesn’t show up ‘til quite a way in but it’s a good comic asexuality aside, and a decent representation of romantic asexuality.

Dinosaur Comics mentioned asexuality a couple of times but not to the extent that I’d call the comic asexuality related. TV Tropes claims that the artist has said Utahraptor is sometimes written as asexual and sometimes as gay, but none of the asexuality is noticeable and I can’t find a firsthand source to back that up. Comics numbers 863 and 565 are about asexuality if you want to check them out. It should be noted that T-rex’s thoughts on the subject aren’t entirely desirable but the author isn’t trying to show his reaction as ‘right’, that’s just the way T-rex thinks.

El Goonish Shive has some characters described as ‘non-sexual’ (they’re asexual) but it’s almost entirely irrelevant to most of the plot and they’re part alien. Interesting, but not how I’d want to introduce someone to asexuality. Like dinosaur comics it’s a passing mention rather than an actual theme though I'm really hoping one of the as-yet-sexuality-unspecified characters turns out to be asexual.

Links to the Dinosaur Comics:

http://www.qwantz.com/index.php?comic=863 This one’s a bit weird but I like the casual way it followed the preceding comics aimed at other sexualities.

http://www.qwantz.com/index.php?comic=565 His facts are maybe 80% right. I think this one is funnier/less annoying if you’re familiar with T-rex’s general attitude. Visibility either way I guess.

The webcomic Poly in Pictures occasionally features asexuality and also explores a lot of other topics related to polyamory, gender, and sexuality. According to the about page, the author identifies as asexual, as well as panromantic, polyamorous, and genderqueer. This is one of my favorite strips. :)

The webcomic Poly in Pictures occasionally features asexuality and also explores a lot of other topics related to polyamory, gender, and sexuality. According to the about page, the author identifies as asexual, as well as panromantic, polyamorous, and genderqueer. This is one of my favorite strips. :)

Cute style! This is definitely appealing, thanks for linking it. :D Added to the list!

There's a tumblr that has tried to do the same thing, although it also has a lot of one-shot comics and other stuff that I'm not sure counts.

I knew that one and figured it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but I added it anyway - some people might like it after all :)

Here's another add - this one is pretty interesting!

Dan and Mab's Furry Adventures (DMFA) ~ Another fantasy-themed comic with furry characters. One of them is first hinted at, and afterwards properly revealed as, asexual.

• 3 weeks later...

Upping the thread with two more added suspect asexual characters :D

Comics with (reasonably) suspected asexual characters:

Questionable Content ~ Similar to Girls with Slingshots in a way, as it can be classified as a slice of life as well, yet with a storyline centered on indie/alternative music. One of the characters, Hannelore, manifests little to no interest in sexual and/or romantic relationships and claims having never been attracted to anyone before.

Supernormal Step ~ Story of a girl, Fiona Dae, who one day finds herself in a parallel supernatural world and attempts to find a portal to get back to her own. She is kissed by one of her friends at some point, but rejects her and states that she's not attracted to anyone.

Also added the link to the Girls with Slingshots page where Erin is outed as asexual ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
Eleanor L.

David doesn't get it

I don't think this has been mentioned, a journal comic of a asexual aromantic guy and his family and friends.

It's also about being a vietnamese-american and not liking people and other stuff. It is all kinds of amazing.

Warning: quite a few comic are about or in reference to physical and mental abuse in childhood

I've been working on this thread for a while, I only managed to retrieve small parts of what it was back in 2005 though (you can see my editings with links in red). I was also looking for this, but I can't seem to find it now. I've PMed one of the authors who is a friend of mine.

I've been working on this thread for a while, I only managed to retrieve small parts of what it was back in 2005 though (you can see my editings with links in red). I was also looking for this, but I can't seem to find it now. I've PMed one of the authors who is a friend of mine.

I've looked up the comics linked in there, but they were all either broken or discontinued. :( Too bad.

I'm adding Horizontal Process to the bunch, though. ^_^

• 1 month later...

Im gonna have to run through a few of these ^^ nice work man

Im gonna have to run through a few of these ^^ nice work man

Have fun :) I love Questionable Content and Supernormal Step personally, but Girls with Slingshots and Ignition Zero are also very good!

• 2 weeks later...