Dreams of being the opposite gender

ArtemisLiCa

Dreams  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever dreamed of being the opposite gender?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't remember my dreams
  2. 2. If you have, has it bothered you?

• Yes
    • No
    • Some dreams do, some don't
    • I don't remember my dreams, remember?

ArtemisLiCa

I should start by saying that I'm a cis-gendered female and I'm fine with that. I'm a bit of a tomboy but I've no desire to become a man.

But I've been having dreams for years in which I'm a man. One of the earliest dreams I remember having started out with me as a man going on a date with a woman. I was only 11 at the time and in my dream I was older, but it felt perfectly natural in the dream for me to be a man and to be on this date with a woman. And since then I've had many dreams in which I was a man and it felt entirely natural. Most recently I dreamed I was a gay man. The dream didn't focus on the relationship, it started with me taking a man home to meet my family (a dream family, not my real family) and I interacted with everyone and I was a man.

Now, once or twice and it's just a dream. Even having the exact same dream I could attribute to some particular issue in my life or whatever. But I have numerous dreams of a wide variety of subjects that only have in common that I'm a man. They don't bother me or anything. Like I said, it's not akward or uncomfortable in my dreams. It's just strange to me.

Am I the only one who has this happen? Has anyone else had these kinds of dreams?

I have been a child, an old lady, an elf, different sort of men and even different sorts of anthropomorphic animals (male-animals) in my dreams. Doesnt bother me at all, I find it rather interesting and fun :P

Its not that often that I am "me" in my dreams.

closed shop

I have often dreamt of being various animals.

Btw, what does the term "cis-gendered female" mean?

Vyanni Krace

I've had dreams where I've been male before. I've also had a lot of dreams about being neutrois and a few rare ones where I look really feminine and beautiful (I always feel a little freaked out after those ones). I've dreamt of being young, old, an adult, etc...I've dreamt of being just about everything under the sun at this point. Even Doctor Who (that was a nice dream, excluding the fact that I died).

ArtemisLiCa

Copied from the master list of gender definitions: Cisgender: a person whose sex and gender match

So as a cis-gendered female, I'm female in both my sex and gender.

Vyanni Krace

I have often dreamt of being various animals.

Btw, what does the term "cis-gendered female" mean?

Cis-gendered means your physical gender matches the gender you identify with internally. For example; if a female-bodied person thinks of themselves as a girl then they are cis-gendered. If a female-bodied person thinks of themselves as a boy/non-gendered etc...then they are not cis.

Xerces Blue

I have dreams where I am male frequently. I've had them for as long as I can remember. I don't want to be male.

I also have dreams when I am intersex, and dreams when I have no sexual organs. I have not desire to be any of those either.

Saying this, I don't have a particular liking of being female.

I'm so used to being different people in my dreams that it doesn't seem significant any more.

I'm rarely myself in my dreams. In fact, I'm rarely a consistent character in my dreams. In a single dream I tend to shift characters frequently without noticing so in some cases I'm a guy then a girl in the span of one dream. I never thought anything of it though, it's just how I've always dreamed. o.o

:wub: I have often had dreams of being a man and i loved those dreams. I like being either gender really. Dreams are amazing.

ArtemisLiCa

I guess the reason this is such a big deal for me is that I'm always myself in my dreams. No matter how strange and surreal my dreams get I'm always me. And my dreams get pretty weird. But it's like Alice in Wonderland. Everythings crazy, but I'm me. Except when I'm a man. :blink: And in the dreams where I'm a man, my dream isnt' crazy at all. It's almost like a normal life I'm dreaming about when I'm a man.

Xerces Blue

I guess the reason this is such a big deal for me is that I'm always myself in my dreams. No matter how strange and surreal my dreams get I'm always me. And my dreams get pretty weird. But it's like Alice in Wonderland. Everythings crazy, but I'm me. Except when I'm a man. :blink: And in the dreams where I'm a man, my dream isnt' crazy at all. It's almost like a normal life I'm dreaming about when I'm a man.

I guess I don't have the same problem as you because I haven't really identified a "me" yet.

Nomad in Stasis

In some of my dreams I am female, which I do enjoy.

I don't know whether I've ever dreamed of myself as a man, because although I do (usually) remember my dreams, I can't picture what I'd look like as a guy in waking life.

Touchofinsight

I have dreamed of it just out of curiosity. I have always wondered what the person I would be If I was born a different gender and how society would of shaped my personality. Would I of come to a similar ideology that I currently have? I have never once flinched when asked the question if you could be a women for a day would you, it has always been a resounding yes.

I think the difference in my view is that it isn't something I yearn for, or wish for more on a more permanent basis.

I have dreamt of being the opposite sex myself, but it has nothing to do with the desire of being the opposite sex because I don't have any. It's more of that I have interest into the idea of being a woman complimented by men. As a man, I am more interested into women.

Grumpy Alien

I've dreamt that I'm the opposite gender, different ages, even different orientations. I once had a dream I was driving a van on a cloud, pregnant, and telling my mom I was a lesbian. Then I drove through a brick wall before I woke up. I'm not a lesbian, I can't drive, and I've never been pregnant. Then there's dreams where I'm a little boy or an old lady. I'm usually not myself in my dreams. Sometimes I'm not in them at all - just watching a scene play out. It's more like my dreams are little movies and sometimes I play a characters, sometimes not.

JosephVNewman

I've been a woman, a snake, a dinosaur, and an alien from a different planet. We all get those kinds of dreams. It's a basic human thing.

• 2 years later...

I'm glad I found this thread as I wanted to share this: (FYI I'm a transguy in reality, although I hate to say it.)

Last night I dreamt I was female and all the guys treated me like dirt. Touching me, prank calling me, etc.

Then later on in the dream I was a Mermaid. A really beautiful and feminine Mermaid. Like, gorgeous. I was in a bathtub and I flirted with a nice guy that happened to walk in for a while. I had long green/blue hair and it kind of floated around my head as if I was underwater.

I should start by saying that I'm a cis-gendered female and I'm fine with that. I'm a bit of a tomboy but I've no desire to become a man.

But I've been having dreams for years in which I'm a man. One of the earliest dreams I remember having started out with me as a man going on a date with a woman. I was only 11 at the time and in my dream I was older, but it felt perfectly natural in the dream for me to be a man and to be on this date with a woman. And since then I've had many dreams in which I was a man and it felt entirely natural. Most recently I dreamed I was a gay man. The dream didn't focus on the relationship, it started with me taking a man home to meet my family (a dream family, not my real family) and I interacted with everyone and I was a man.

Now, once or twice and it's just a dream. Even having the exact same dream I could attribute to some particular issue in my life or whatever. But I have numerous dreams of a wide variety of subjects that only have in common that I'm a man. They don't bother me or anything. Like I said, it's not akward or uncomfortable in my dreams. It's just strange to me.

Am I the only one who has this happen? Has anyone else had these kinds of dreams?

My Mom smoked one brand of cigs, my father another. Relating more to my Mom and stealing her ciggies not Dad's I long wanted to be a woman believing I owuld have to be to enjoy those cigs. :)

I see how hard it is being a woman, and why we Jews have a prayer where we thank God for not being one because it's so hard is a thing. Given how little attention and time I put into how I look, I'd make a really bad woman. Plus I don't get the whole thing about the important of footwear. Who's looking at your feet? What man says to himself, "Well I wasn't going to ask her out, but whoa! Look at those shoes!" :)

AprilStorms

My Mom smoked one brand of cigs, my father another. Relating more to my Mom and stealing her ciggies not Dad's I long wanted to be a woman believing I owuld have to be to enjoy those cigs. :)

I see how hard it is being a woman, and why we Jews have a prayer where we thank God for not being one because it's so hard is a thing. Given how little attention and time I put into how I look, I'd make a really bad woman. Plus I don't get the whole thing about the important of footwear. Who's looking at your feet? What man says to himself, "Well I wasn't going to ask her out, but whoa! Look at those shoes!" :)

That's interesting, about the cigarettes. Does it feel like it's more related to gender identity or gender roles to you?

:P Women/femmes don't dress for you guys, silly! Most of us dress for each other most of the time. The highest compliment a necklace can receive is to have a girl friend pick it up off you to look at it closer.

(In my experience, at least. And besides, not all of us like men :P)

Holy mother of fuck. I'm sorry but wow you're really good at being offensive.

1. Thanking God for not being a woman would have sounded slightly better with context and an explanation because taken at face value it is demeaning. It has connotations that women are somehow inferior ("Thank God I'm not that!") and an explanation would definitely have at least made it sound less bad. I had to do a google search to help me understand how it could be interpreted differently even if I don't agree with it.
  2. A woman is not defined by her looks. Just because a woman doesn't put effort in how she looks doesn't mean she's a bad woman. Edit: To add: Her appearance does not affect her femininity nor does it affect her moral compass or however you want to measure good/bad of a person.
  3. Actually why is whether a woman is good or bad based on how much effort they put into how they look? I'm pretty sure good/bad could be based on anything but appearance.
  4. What the fuck does footwear have to do with anything.
  5. If you're talking about the stereotype that women have lots of shoes, what the fuck is wrong with liking shoes?
  6. Women don't always dress to be picked up by guys. They can dress how they choose because they like it, they're more comfortable in it, or it makes them feel good. We are not under the impression that a good pair of shoes will make a man suddenly decide to ask us out.

I personally love wearing boots and/or high heels because it's fun. Because it goes with the outfit. Because I like to. Because it's comfortable. I have never worn a pair of shoes or in fact chosen how I dressed with the intention of trying to get a guy to ask me out.

Edit: AprilStorms said it much nicer. Although I've never dressed for other girls either, receiving a compliment is a bonus.

Edit2: ...that was really hurtful of me and I definitely could have phrased things softer. I apologize.

That's interesting, about the cigarettes. Does it feel like it's more related to gender identity or gender roles to you?

:P Women/femmes don't dress for you guys, silly! Most of us dress for each other most of the time. The highest compliment a necklace can receive is to have a girl friend pick it up off you to look at it closer.

(In my experience, at least. And besides, not all of us like men :P)

Felt like it was a gender role thing at the time. Like my brother teased me for smoking Capris, those really skinny cigs. :) Smoke a pipe now though, very butch. lol

I'm rarely myself in my dreams. In fact, I'm rarely a consistent character in my dreams. In a single dream I tend to shift characters frequently without noticing so in some cases I'm a guy then a girl in the span of one dream. I never thought anything of it though, it's just how I've always dreamed. o.o

It's like this for me, too! :D I've often wondered if I change characters at the end of each REM cycle, because it feels like a totally different dream, too. I change locations, genres, and even camera types as often as I change characters. It's just that I remember the transition seamlessly.

Though, I guess it's not 'rare' for me to be me in my dreams. Just that it's equally common that I'll be literally anybody else -- including random strangers, video game characters, you name it.

I gotta ask: in your dreams, do you consider your character 'me' no matter who they are? Like I had a dream where I was an Asian girl living in an apocalyptic wasteland, but I still describe what happened to 'me' in that dream.

Groovy Teacakes

In my dreams I am almost exclusively me, except for when I am occasionally a boy, like I once had a dream where I was Harry Potter and another where I was just some random guy. Doesn't bother me: I don't really feel any different in these dreams to normal life, except for all the weird dream stuff going on.

I'm going to lock this thread for now. It is old, and I encourage anyone who wants to keep talking about genders in dreams to start a new, fresh thread :)

Heart

Gender Discussions Moderator

Archived