What are you currently reading?

Caligari

As I Lay Dying, when I manage a few minutes here and there

Argh, I remember reading that book for English Literature class in high school. In the end I decided the stream of consciousness narrative was really good at unearthing the deep-down "core" of the story, but NO WAY would I have been able understand it without all those class discussions.

Right now I'm reading Daniel Deronda by George Eliot.

I just finished Leonard Cohen's Beatiful Losers.

So I've now started Charles Bukowski's book of short stories South of No North.

The Lobotomist: A Maverick Medical Genius and his Tragic Quest to Rid the World of Mental Illness by Jack El-Hai

And I also have about a ream's worth of digital pages from a certain crush-keeper. . . . But it is hard to hold the computer screen over my head as I lie in bed reading. . . :roll:

I just tried reading Arturo Perez-Reverte's The Fencing Master. While I usually looove historical fiction and fencing, I wasn't really getting into it.

I'm going to go with Sandra Dallas's book Alice's Tulips next. I've read 2 of her other books, and she's pretty good. She's not one of my favorite authors, but she keeps my attention.

I've been re-reading some of my Lovecraftian stuff. Zealia Bishop's 'The Mound' is a fun read, if a bit geologically doubtful.

I'd like to see that made into a SciFi film, where at the end in modern-day times, we find that Binger and the Mound are inside a huge military reservation... and that there has been much communication between our government and Those Below. Mwahahahaha! :twisted:

I'm also working my way through Court of the Red Czar... and the current Private Eye.

Next on my reading list is The Tin Drum.

Stopped "Dracula" after the first three chapters -- too much Victorian nonsense, and too many ridiculous female characters ("I feel I am unpure", "I'm a NEW WOMAN, cause I can use mechanical instruments and seduce every man, including Dracula, in sight w/o any form of commitment). I don't understand why this novel is still praised today (i.e. stupid canon).

Almost finished with "Lolita" -- great read, tons of fun.

Next up:

"The Name of the Rose" - Umberto Eco

A collection of Borges short stories and poems.

"Ulysses" - Joyce

A collection of Kierkegaardian writings (possibly some Nietzsche, too).

Machiavelli - "The Prince"

Now the questions remains if I'll actually read all of these :?

P.S. -- (to Hexpiral if you read this thread) -- Do you know if the Borges translations in "Labyrinths: Selected Short Stories & Other Writings" are any good? Or, can you recommend a specific translator that really excels at translating him in English?

Cate Perfect
and the current Private Eye.

Next on my reading list is The Tin Drum.

Ooh! You have a subscription to Private Eye?! *jealous* I was thinking of getting one. I love that periodical.

The Tin Drum is next on my list, as well. Perhaps we can compare notes.

Cate

Before school let out I was reading a biography on Elizabeth II, because I'm awfully fascinated with royal families in general. But I didnt get to finish it. :(

Now I'm reading a large boring book on parliamentary procedure for Key Club.

Yawn.

Vicious Trollop

Still reading a dozen books at once. This time it's:

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter Carson McCullers

Stories Dorothy Parker

The Human Stain Philip Roth (still :oops:)

And an anthology of Victorian poets is on my dresser for bedtime reading

Actually, I've scratched Alice's Tulips for now. I didn't really feel in the mood for a Civil-War-era soldier's-wife-type story.

I'll be starting A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton, which will probably be followed by:

Artemis Julian Stockwin

Confessions of a Pagan Nun

The Killing Dance also by Hamilton

Ooh! You have a subscription to Private Eye?! *jealous* I was thinking of getting one. I love that periodical.

To me, Private Eye and The Spectator were (and still are) the two most essential UK magazine subscriptions.

Viz I bought from the newsagent :)

The Speccie put me onto more cultural and literary threads than I can count. Along with PE, I found it an invaluable font of insight into both "high" and everyday English culture.

Comparing notes on the Tin Drum? By all means.

Cate Perfect

Let me know when you start The Tin Drum and I'll start it then, as well.

Great...now I'm going to have to get a subscription to Private Eye. :roll:

Cate

Picked up a piece of childhood at an Oamaru bookfair (I lurrve 2ndhand book fairs) to wit, 'In the footsteps of Elephant Bill' written by his widow, Susan.

Elephant Bill was Lt.Colonel Jim Williams, who, before being resourced into the British Army in WW2, was a Burma Forestry Conservator who loved elephants..."Bandoola" was the piece of childhood,the story of a huge tusker with a huge intelligence. So now, it's elephants wall to wall - everyone from Hannibal to Moss to a couple of intriguing papers on elephant dwarfism.

Anyone else get single-subject reading-binges?

OK, it's a deal. I'm starting today.

There's just one twist -- I'll be out of the country for a couple of weeks (Russia) and away from computers, most of the time. But I'll probably finish by the time I get back.

I might bring Der Steppenwolf along as well...

Cate Perfect

OK, it's a deal. I'm starting today.

There's just one twist -- I'll be out of the country for a couple of weeks (Russia) and away from computers, most of the time. But I'll probably finish by the time I get back.

I've just read the first two pages. Wow. Can't wait to discuss it with you.

Oh boy, now I have three two person book clubs. This rocks.

Cate

Nero laughed

I am currently reading a thread in off A, titled 'what are you currently reading'- duh':wink:'

Someone recommended Terry Pratchett in another thread so i put a few holds on in the library to check it out. THEY ALL CAME AT ONCE! So now i'm all Pratchett-ed out up to my eyeballs !!!!

Been doing a bit of catch up on chaos theory.

My new phone's (encyclopedic) user manuall !!!!

And a couple of mag subscriptions... guess ..

Yes i know my brain is allll over the place.. Actually i make like little compartments for each in my brain ':lol' Yes i do have one.....somewhere *now where did i put that brain ..hmmmm*

Currently I am trying to read as much of Chuck Palahniuk's stuff that I can, I read Fight Club over several times, and yesterday I went to pick up Survior, I would also like get get Choke, but Ill save that for afterward.

Jennyanydots

I'm reading two books right now, and they are about teaching ESL composition. I'm doing my MA in TESOL so these books are interesting to me. Before I started my summer class I read "The Mayor of Casterbridge" by Thomas Hardy. By the last page of the book I was sobbing. It was cathartic. I highly recommend it. Maybe I'll read something by Hemingway next. I really would like to reread "A Moveable Feast."

I just went to the library the other day to return something (over two weeks late! yikes!) and take out some summer reading.

Among the many books I have to read, I have to read Beloved by Toni Morrisson and A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway. So I got those out. And then I took out Lucy by Jamaica Kincaid because I read some of her work in my Women's Literature class and liked it a lot. So why not. Heh.

just finished reading "city of the dead" by brian keene. & i swear, the damned plot & trailer for land of the dead almost mirror this damned book. :shock:

That's done it Chess - I havent read any Dunnett since she died, and I have all her books. Hmm...what better to follow elephants than Crawford of Lymond...and replay the chess games...

Schala Zeal

Currently I'm not reading many books, I'm mostly reading on the net, reading a truckload of stuff, I guess it's not worth a book, but it's still very time consuming.

I have some books a friend lent me.

Oedipe et Akhenaton

L'Atlantide retrouvée

(yes they're french books)

I will read them once I get some time and am more in the mood I guess.

Well, i've read 11 books in the past month and am in the middle of 2 more.

All 7 of C.S lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia (I found while I was in the third or so book that the movies will be coming).

Douglass Adams' Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

Aldous Huxley's Brave New World

Lois Lowry's Number the Stars

Mark Roeder's The Soccer Field is Empty

Currently, I am in the middle of David Goodstein's Out of Gas and Douglass Adams' The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul.

2 books coming in the mail on Wednesday. Maybe I will read Lord of the Rings or Dune after them. I kinda want a break from sci-fi/fantasy books, hence most of the last few ones. HP6 is on my list for when it comes out, of course.