What are you currently reading?

Caligari

some angela knight novel. of course, i'm always getting sidetracked by magazines. :?

SuperSinger

right now: "Mythology. The complete works of Alex Ross" Alex Ross is the best comic artist EVER!

When I'm done with that, I'll be reading the graphic novel "Superman: Red Son"

Cate Perfect

Sixpence House by Paul Collins as part of my cosy little bookclub.

Cate

SuperSinger
Sixpence House by Paul Collins as part of my cosy little bookclub.

Cate

I want to belong to a bookclub, but I don't know of any around here.

Well i'm reading the intellectual by Steve Fuller <- - - -

Is there an alternative title to that? I can only find other stuff by him on amazon, etc.

Cate Perfect

Well, my cosy little bookclub only has two people in it. That's why it's cosy.

You live in a big city, though, have you tried checking the library? Our libraries here have lists of bookclubs.

Cate

SuperSinger

Well, my cosy little bookclub only has two people in it. That's why it's cosy.

You live in a big city, though, have you tried checking the library? Our libraries here have lists of bookclubs.

Cate

Monroe is a big city??? News to me! :) I live NEAR the big city of Detroit, but not in it, and I only go up there to visit relatives.

Vicious Trollop

*ashamed of self* I started reading a William Safire language book, too. Well, I'm passing it on to a friend later today. No harm done!

SuperSinger
right now: "Mythology. The complete works of Alex Ross" Alex Ross is the best comic artist EVER!

When I'm done with that, I'll be reading the graphic novel "Superman: Red Son"

Actually, I might hold off on Red Son now to make way for the library books I got that you can see on my library thread! :)

Kevin Wood

'Secret Life of Bees'

Well, one of those deceptive titles. It's not about bees. This is about a fourteen-year-old girl growing up in South Carolina, USA. And my God, it's good. It's horribly sad in part; but observantly funny, and a veritable contretemps between my own childhhood and hers. It is quite clever in the way it draws out some histoire; as despite the civil rights act, vis a vis, b versus white..it's still an issue at that time. A very good read.

K

The lady from the library phoned me yesterday and asked me to please bring back their book (New Zealand in Colour) that was due 05 Oct 2004.

Yes, the authorities are a bit laid back in Africa.

Guess it's still gonna cost me :cry:

TangerinePanda

Drawing Down the Moon A study into Pagans in America today.

I also just bought How to build an earth oven today and plan to read it sometime this weekend.

"H.P. Lovecraft a Life," by S.T. Joshi, and "1984" by George Orwell. So far both great books, although the first gets boring at times...

Cate Perfect

Even though I'm in the middle of about eight books I've started James Kelman's You Have to Be Careful in the Land of the Free. I don't know if I'll finish it, though. The narrator is driving me mad, he uses the 'f' word FAR too frequently (we're talking 5-10 times per page) and Glaswegian is really ugly to read. I like listening to the accent, but reading it is doing my head in. I think I'll give it another twenty pages. (I'm on page 25.)

Cate

Watching the English by Kate Fox. It's about the hidden rules of English behaviour--fascinating. I'm reading it for the second time as part of my little bookclub.

Was intrigued by Cate's signature quotation from this book, so am consulting it as a questionaire to see whether 20 years of exile have deracinated me.

Also re-reading Thomas Love Peacock's 'Nightmare Abbey' partly because this edition has such a splendidly recherche binding and recently finished 'Eats Shoots and Leaves', the humourous book about grammar by Lynne Truss.

Cate Perfect
Watching the English by Kate Fox. It's about the hidden rules of English behaviour--fascinating. I'm reading it for the second time as part of my little bookclub.

Was intrigued by Cate's signature quotation from this book, so am consulting it as a questionaire to see whether 20 years of exile have deracinated me.

Also re-reading Thomas Love Peacock's 'Nightmare Abbey' partly because this edition has such a splendidly recherche binding and recently finished 'Eats Shoots and Leaves', the humourous book about grammar by Lynne Truss.

Oohh, let me know what you think. :)

I have Nightmare Abbey at home--is it good. It's one of those books I'd like to read eventually.

I loved Eats, Shoots and Leaves.

*thumbs up to your taste in books*

Cate

Cate Perfect

:D Flatterer.

Cate

In honour of a dead friend, "A Girl of the Limberlost" Gene Stratton Porter

(reinforced my lepidopterist love as a small child.)

'Letters of/to J.R.R Tolkein'? You'll find one of mine in there, circa over 4 decades ago - i actually W00t! corrected his whakapapa! (Of Meriadoc Brandybuck and Fredegar Bolger.)

I started the first book of Sisterhood of Traveling Pants. At work I have to read serious and boring books and texts all day, so when I pick up a book I need something more light-hearted.

In honour of a dead friend, "A Girl of the Limberlost" Gene Stratton Porter

That was one of the books my grandmother gave me, along with 'Freckles', 'The Cardinal' and 'Laddie, A True Blue Story' (gosh, that would have different connotations these days...) and others of that ilk. Seems there was a whole genre dedicated to adolescents living in swamps.

Yep Jael - swamp lit - except there werent the swamps here ... I know the books were over written and can only be read now with your mind half-turned-off - but - hey, in honour of Maryann Yorston Matches(who spoke 3 read 1), in honour of Margaret Augustyn (who spoke 5 read 7 languages), here's to the grannies among us all-

Wowaa! You an Aucklander? Maurice Shadbolt would be a singer for them - but way better, Steve Braunias eh?

I *love* mangroves - I resent (a teensy bit) that the far south area I live in is way too cold for them - from islander who is watching with interest the ingress of the sea because the bar has blocked-

Terry Pratchett, Jack Cohen & Ian Stewart's 'Science of Discworld'.

It's the most comprehensive and appealing guide to pretty much the whole of science that I have ever read.

8)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Cate Perfect

I'm reading the entire Hitchhiker's Guide series in my little book club. I've also just started Bookmark Now: Writing in Unreaderly Times, which is a collection of essays about the state of publishing/the writing life.

Boy, am I glad I never had any intention of looking for an agent or attempting to get published. Depressing, that's what it is.

Cate