What are you currently reading?

Caligari

Hermit Advocate

Just finished Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere and am starting Markus Zusak's The Messenger

Luftschlosseule

Second part of the Princess series, The Mermaid's Madness, and so much better than the first part because the translation really sucked. I think it was by a native English speaker who translated stuff into German without knowing nuances. "to carry a child" was translated 1:1, but "carrying a child" in German sounds pretty ridiculous.

On 07/08/2017 at 1:20 AM, time traveller jedi said:

I'm about to finish "forward the foundation" by Asimov. I love the foundation series <3 (has anyone read it, by the way)? 

Awesome books!  I love everything Asimov wrote, very forward thinking.

I'm currently re-reading Magician, by Raymond Feist.  I sort of have it in my head to read the *entire* riftwar cycle, from start to finish... I only ever read the first 3 books before.  I think there are something like 35 books in that series... Might take me a while :huh:

• Like 2
AssassinBabs

Just started in Crown of Midnight writen by Sarah J Maas. Second book of the Throne of Glass Serries. Fantasy novel about a sertain assassin; Celeana Sadrothien. I loved the first book,     waiting for the time I read the whole serries.

(Oh, I am going to look for the Throne of Glass series now.)

Brotherhood of Thieves: The Wardens by Stuart Daly

On 8/6/2017 at 7:20 PM, time traveller jedi said:

I'm about to finish "forward the foundation" by Asimov. I love the foundation series <3 (has anyone read it, by the way)? 

I read the trilogy, haven't read the others.  Good trilogy, though, may have to pick up some more Asimov some time.

I just almost finished The Machineries of Joy by Ray Bradbury.  Short stories, still have one left.  It's been good, wouldn't recommend it as a person's first Bradbury book but there are some winners in there.

Also, reading Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus by Orson Scott Card.  It's just kind of all right. It's a novel but it reads like an extended essay or whatever.

Various other books, including a very basic book on Mac computers. I don't want to say I'm computer-illiterate... so I won't.  After all, I'm using one right now, so I'm good. Now where's that mouse or whatever?  Let's see....

• Like 1
Luftschlosseule

The Willows by Algernon Blackwood. Seems like after a few YA novels I need a bit of nice writing to be able to keep on reading.

Although that guy reads from 2017-perspective very racist. But well, the stories are a century old.

• Like 1

"God's Word or Human Reason? An Inside Perspective on Creationism" by Johnathan Kane, Emily Willoughby and T. Michael Kessey.

Basically a book dissecting arguments towards creationism and the evidences to back it up, but done in a way that other books haven't: being that it's written by people who used to be young-earth creationists and are now accomplished scientists and/or artists.  I first discovered the book through Willoughby because I love her paleoart on dA.  And I put this book on my wishlist only to have it given to me for my birthday this year! :)  

I'm a giant slut for this stuff uggghhhhh talk science to me

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Karacoreable

A Clockwork Orange :blink: What. A. Book. It's painfully slow progress because of the Nadsat and it's very very disturbing. But apparently it's worth reading, so on I go!

time traveller jedi
On 20/08/2017 at 9:46 PM, Atheno said:

I just almost finished The Machineries of Joy by Ray Bradbury.  Short stories, still have one left.  It's been good, wouldn't recommend it as a person's first Bradbury book but there are some winners in there.

Ohhh, I love Bradbury. I'm currently reading the illustrated man (very, very good), but I've also read fahrenheit 251 and a few tales by him. 

• Like 2

The Great Wall: China Against the World.

A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers

Good sci-fi/space and aliens and AI characters and such, with interesting cultures and social stuff

On 7.08.2017 at 2:20 AM, time traveller jedi said:

I read both the Asimov books and (I think) some of the volumes added by other writers. I liked it, though one thing that cracked me up was some of the gadgets invented by Asimov in the initial novels (written I think I late 40s?). I mean stuff like nuclear ashtray or nuclear knife :D You can see that it was written in the era was nuclear energy was seen some sort of wonder.

I'm now reading some sort of supernatural whodunnit (in Polish, as I usually do), as least that's what it shapes up to be. Supposed miracles, talk of an evil spirit possessing a village, a severed head and a cop with a difficult past- sounds like it can be an interesting book. I'm not going to give you the title, because it's won't tell you anything

• Like 1

The trilogy: Shards Of A Broken Sword by WR Gingell. It's nice, so far.

I found 25 or 30 free downloads on Amazon for kindle.

6 minutes ago, Tja said:

Shards Of A Broken Sword

Sounds appropriate, given your avatar pic. :)

• Like 1
BlessYourFace

I have just finished Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith ((1950's Soviet Russia where crime isn't supposed to happen, but the detective comes upon crime and gets exiled as he tries to solve the case, based on a true serial killer)) and enjoyed it so much I went straight for his next book (not in the Leo series however---sure those will be next), The Farm ((so far a he-said, she-said psychological thriller kind of read))

Highly recommended to all!

I'm also reading Go Ask Alice ((a diary of a young, drug addict runaway)), which is just getting to the gritty part.  Might finish that up today actually since I'm halfway through and it's a short book.

StrangerThing

I just started Wool by Hugh Howey.  It sounds interesting and I love that, to some degree, knitting is mixed in with it.

The Defenders of Shannara: The High Druid's Blade by Terry Brooks

Just finished reading George Orwell - Keep The Aspidistra Flying.  Not bad... I can see why it was his least favorite book, but there are some good themes in there, however its hard to love the protagonist.  Mostly I just wanted to shake him out of his ridiculous state!  The ending had a bit to be desired also...

Think I'll get back to the Fiest.  Magician, book 2 now...

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Think I'll get back to the Fiest.  Magician, book 2 now...

Fantastic!

If you enjoy those, follow up with his Daughter Of The Empire series.

It's great that he allowed us to view life from both sides of the Rift.

LibrarianLady

Blood of Dragons, by Robin Hobb. Rain Wild Chronicles are great books, I'm definitely going to check out Hobb's other works!

• Like 1
arekathevampyre

Journals by Kurt Cobain 

An interesting insight to Kurt's life as the book is full of scans of his journals . Full of emotions and you can really see him in a different light through this book . 

Apparently there is an updated version (with more content) released in paperback in 2003 . Mine is the original 2002 hardcover version . 

Karacoreable
1 hour ago, LibrarianLady said:

Blood of Dragons, by Robin Hobb. Rain Wild Chronicles are great books, I'm definitely going to check out Hobb's other works!

Love those books!!! They're amazing.

Shogun, the first of four books in James Clavell's Asian saga. Heavy going at first but I'm really appreciating the historical detail and grounding. 

• Like 1

Innumeracy: Mathematical Illiteracy and its Consequences, by John Allen Paulos.

I like to alternate between fiction and math/science.

• Like 2