What are you currently reading?

Caligari

On 7/8/2017 at 7:55 PM, daveb said:

That's a good book!

I just started reading another book in The Saint/Simon Templar series, The Saint Bids Diamonds.

I'm looking forward to reading it. I always wanted to know more about WW1, figured that be a good place to start.

I always was curious about the Simon Templar books, too.

3 minutes ago, CallaWolf said:

I always was curious about the Simon Templar books, too.

The ones I have read so far were all written between the 2 World Wars (like the Poriot series), so there are some interesting things (and occasionally some stereotyping of some characters/groups, but hopefully not too much). In some ways it was a more innocent time. At the same time, there are other things that seem quite modern. Overall, though, they're just good escapist adventure stories. :)

• Like 1
Hermit Advocate

Just finished Under Tiberius by Nick Tosches.

Steven King's Dark Tower. A friend suggested that I read it prior to seeing the movie in August.

• Like 1

The newest/best translation of Konstantin Stanislavski's An Actor's Work. 

Hermit Advocate

The Count of Monte Cristo

• Like 1

Let me see... Do you want the short answer or long answer? 'Cause I LITERALLY have my own library starting up... 2 bookshelves worth and counting... So I'll let you know as soon as I get an answer to my Q... Meow to y'all this fine evening Luna has presented to us...

Just finished Stand Off by Andrew Smith and just started Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. Oh, I'm also in the middle of Icebreaker by Lian Tanner as well.

SomedayTheSky

I'm in the middle of The Inexplicable Logic of my Life by Benjamin Alire Saenz. It's a long-ish YA contemporary about a Mexican-American boy's identity, him figuring out who he is and his relationships with his gay adoptive father and the rest of his family. So far, it's really amazing. I read Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by the same author, and it was also outstanding. His prose is vivid and poetic, the characters- especially the parents- are so easy to care about, and I love reading about people who are both Latino and gay. Too often does the media fail to realize that humans can be in multiple minorities at once. 

Anyways. I would totally recommend either of these books to those of you looking for YA.

Half way through Andrzej Sapkowski's Blood of Elves, from his fantasy based Witcher novels. It's very, very good! I can see the rest of the novels being purchased quite soon. 

• Like 1

I just finished Revival by Stephen King and I really wasn't prepared for the things that happened at the end of the story. :blink: The back cover of the book asked if I was ready to face the thing waiting on the other side and now I understand that I really wasn't. 

Maybe I should read something lighter next!

Dave vs. The Monsters: Emergence by John Birmingham

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

I read & loved Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, then came across this interview with her & Leigh Bardugo, and bought the first book in the Grisha Trilogy next time I was at Chapters. I've since devoured it and moved on to Six of Crows, which is the first in her new series. They're in the YA fantasy genre, but unlike most which are set in historical United Kingdom type cultures, hers are set in cultures meant to call back to czarist Russia or the 1700s Dutch Republic.

• Like 1

I just finished 'I'm Thinking of Ending Things' by Iain Reid. It's his first novel and he's really, really talented at building up unease and suspense, but I was totally disappointed in the ending! I hate when endings almost totally ruin a book for you. :/

white crayon

Call me a nerd, but right now I'm reading The Elements of Eloquence by Mark Forsyth. It's about rhetorical figures and it's actually very entertaining and informative. I enjoy his sense of humor. 

• Like 1
On 7/28/2017 at 3:20 PM, Carson:) said:

Slightly off topic: What should I read?

But right now I'm reading Vol. 1 of a manga called Sgt. Frog.

Er... Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.  Classic sci-fi novel about firemen who burn books, and also about mindless entertainment (of course, I tend to enjoy mindless entertainment).  I like Bradbury's writing style, one of my favorites.  Or some other Bradbury book (though some are better than others and I haven't read all of them.)  Or you know, whatever you want. ;)  What kind of book are you looking for?  I only read fiction though-- trying to change that a little without any real luck.

I'm currently reading Kokoro, which is a Japanese novel that... tells a story?  A rather simple plot, not the most exciting book, but I'm enjoying it. The narrator befriends a man he calls Sensei and it's in part about their friendship.  At one point Sensei asks why said narrator would want to be friends with him.  There's a bit of a mystery to the story that's being revealed at the end, I'm almost there.  Eh, I'm bad at explaining things.

I've also started 2010: odyssey 2.  I've previously read 2001: a space odyssey as well as the sequel to 2010, 2061: odyssey 3 (brilliant titles).  Anyway, I've a feeling 2010 may be the best, the story of 2001 was okay but really there wasn't much to it and the few characters weren't well-developed.  A pretty good book, though, especially for its time, I guess. 2061: I actually enjoyed it, but I'm not sure it would have been published if the author weren't Arthur C. Clarke.  But 2010's off to a good start, though I'm just about 50 pages in.

Luftschlosseule

Finally through with A Song of Ice and Fire, yay! Now I am finishing books that I started as I couldn't decide which one to read, finished Nachtzug nach Lissabon, which was very, very, very boring. Currently reading Raven Boys, the first installment in the Raven Cycle, by Maggie Stiefvater.

got the art of war from a friend been trying to read it but its hard for me to sit down and read as of late.

time traveller jedi

I'm about to finish "forward the foundation" by Asimov. I love the foundation series <3 (has anyone read it, by the way)? 

• Like 2

I've read Asimov's foundation series. Absolutely loved it, though it's been quite a few years since I read it, so the details are fuzzy.

I'm currently reading 'the Prince', by Niccolò Machiavelli, and 'Neuromancer', by William Gibson.

Really enjoying the Prince, not so sure about the Neuromancer yet.

• Like 1
Luftschlosseule

First part of the Princess Series by Hines. Am wrestling with the German translation, which is bloody awful, but after the first part I can continue in the original. A friend lent them to me.

• Like 1
arekathevampyre

Bridge To Terabithia by Katherine Paterson . 

A very good children's novel (which is actually meant for anyone of any age) . No deep understanding needed and the flow of the story is smooth which makes it easy to follow . Entertaining and realistic . 

• Like 1