What are you currently reading?

Caligari

arekathevampyre

not sure as planning for trip and need to pick a book but I have toooooooo many to choose from . :( 

time to pick . Just realised that 99% of my books are horror and I am not allowed to bring horror books on my trip . What to do ? 

• Like 1

Hmm, wouldn't that make it easier?

Pick the 1%. Lol

• Like 1
TheMadCheshire

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Debating whether or not to read some Isaac Asimov.

hopeisnotlost

I'm reading Giovanni's Room

Divide By Zero

Just finished reading Walkabout by James Vance Marshall. I've always wanted to visit Australia so that's why I read it.

The book is about two children who are stranded in the Outback and they met an Aboriginal boy who is on a walkabout. It's a short novel (about 120 pages) but it was a good read and I enjoyed it. The book has some interesting themes around cultural differences, especially considering the time period it was written (first published in the late 1950s from what I understand).

• Like 2
OverwhelmedA

I'm reading The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. It's for a book report for science class, and I have no idea what he's talking about. (I'm really uninterested and bad at science.) He sounds smart, though.

I don't really read books anymore for reasons. I read fanfiction! 

The fanfic I'm super focused on right now is called "Dreaming of Sunshine" by Silver Queen. (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7347955/1/Dreaming-of-Sunshine) It's a Naruto self-insert original character story.

It's a really long story that gets updated every couple of weeks. I absolutely recommend it. You don't even really need to know anything about Naruto to read it. You might not get what she is referring when she talks about what she is trying to change or might not see how things changed, but the story is super enjoyable without all that. Normally, I don't go for female main character fics. The likelihood of romance is way to high for me to read them. This one is different! Maybe, big maybe, there might be romance in the future, but she has some disassociation going on and she's older than her generation, so I doubt it. It's completely focused on action, plot and character development at the moment.

I love how she really goes into detail on chakra, jutsu and other techniques. Things like what do they feel like and how would they work. Like what do handsigns do, how do clan jutsu (which they never really explain) work? She also really digs into the culture of Naruto and how it compares to "our" society. She reflects on how she has been changed by "their" society. Even side stories, non canon ones, affect the plot in her story! Little things that I never thought of while I watched Naruto are suddenly huge plot points! 

It's also very realistic. She really captures how much danger they are all in. One the ramifications of Team Seven's actions that the canon characters never really considered. She discusses how the village would actually work and how much training they have to do. There is a lot of world-building.

I love it SO MUCH!! Highly recommend! I'm re-reading it for like the third time now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2017 at 0:40 AM, Euna said:

Short stories by Kafka. 

I started Metamorphosis today.  Kind of interesting... different of course... mostly finding it boring so far.  Not exactly bad, though.  Characters are a little flat.  Mm.

On 4/2/2017 at 10:08 AM, OverwhelmedA said:

I'm reading The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. It's for a book report for science class, and I have no idea what he's talking about. (I'm really uninterested and bad at science.) He sounds smart, though.

I'm also bad at/uninterested in science.  Compared to me, you're probably great at it!

Also read a couple more pages of Kokoro today by Natsume Soseki.  Seems okay thus far, I'm about all of 8 or 9 pages in now.

• Like 1
Luftschlosseule

The Haunting of Hill House by Sherly Jackson.

A guy who's interested in paranormal science has saved money to rent an allegedly haunted manor for three months and he invites people that are told to have had a supernatural experience to investigate with him. The protagonist is a woman who is frustrated with her life, she doesn't feel like she has somebody who loves her, so she uses this invitation to get out of her usual surroundings. She just arrived at Hill House.

• Like 2
Elftober Country

Just starting 'H is for Hawk' by Helen MacDonald

26 minutes ago, October Country said:

Just starting 'H is for Hawk' by Helen MacDonald

I read that and thought it was a good read :)

• Like 2

'the long way to a small angry planet' by Becky Chambers

Liking it so far :) 

• Like 2
Elftober Country
3 hours ago, iff said:

I read that and thought it was a good read :)

It has been on my 'to read' list for awhile. I've heard nothing but good things about it, so finger crossed I'll enjoy it  

Hermit Advocate

Rereading "Jane Eyre" for class. When I signed up I thought we were going to be reading the screenplay for "Pan's Labyrinth." 

Right now I'm in love with Six of Crows  and Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo! 

Divide By Zero

Over the weekend I read the following books:

• Dealing with People You Can't Stand by Dr. Rick Brinkman and Dr. Rick Kirschner
  • How to Click with People by Dr. Rick Kirschner

Some time ago I took a two day course on workplace communication and a three day course on workplace conflict resolution as part of a career development program at work. The course instructors recommended reading the books listed above.

i found the books to very interesting and insightful. I now have some new ideas for strategies I can try when I have to deal with difficult people or want to build a better relationship with someone. I would definitely recommend reading the books.

Spent the last 6 months re reading Raymond Feist's work from the beginning, currently on King of Foxes:

81954c9iqll-_sl1500_.jpg?w=590

Good read for fantasy lovers :)

Edited by Kittyxiii
image didn't insert properly (d'oh)
  • Like 1

I've been reading "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. It's been pretty gripping so far. I have a thing for post apocalyptic and utopian fiction, so I'll probably start "Do androids dream of electric sheep" next.

• Like 1