How romantic are you?

GoldenLillies

In my head I'm uber romantic. I love the idea of it and read romance books. In reality, I am not so much but am opening up more to be. Mine might be a confidence thing though and my romance in my life is not what others expect. My expectations and reality are off kilter but at least I'm aware of it. I had a dream recently where my SO asked me to elope with them by putting a wedding date in my phone. The sad, yet funny thing is that's probably how it will go down if it does. But there is romance in our relationship in other ways.

WhenSummersGone

I'm pretty romantic, hopeless romantic probably. I just suck at dating since I haven't had much experience, but I would be pretty romantic in a relationship.

TheNaughtyNeutrois

Romance... this has always confused me and irritated me - so I reject it completely. The persistent drive to find that "one true love", marriage, kids, and the white picket fence. Why would someone base their entire happiness, their entire being around another person? If things broke off, they'd feel so broken because they didn't give themselves any part to keep safe, to fall back on so they can build themselves up again and not feel completely lost.

So many people have been duped by "romance", they have been scammed into giving away their life savings to another man who just wanted their money, people have cut themselves or committed suicide over love, people have even killed out of jealously or killed their kids to get back at the wife. When a wife is murdered in a family, the first suspect they look to is the husband. Why? Because all it takes is one bad argument, one punch, one moment of anger, one seed of doubt, because even a happy, seemingly "perfect" family have cracks that can be seen behind closed doors.

I used to say I hated (romantic) love and commitment. I still do because I don't understand it. I'm satisfied just having platonic relationships - that in mind, I don't mind cuddles or kisses with my platonic friends because I enjoy being affectionate, but if it goes beyond that, for example: one of them starting to get romantically attracted, that they get clingy and want more cuddles 24/7, constantly relying on me for moral support even though they have their own boyfriend, and telling me that they desire to have my kids. She knew I didn't want kids so she wasn't upset when I said I don't want to do that. It made me want to run in the opposite direction screaming.

In the end, I end up believing that "romance" is merely an ever-changing illusion that people seek in order to truly be happy - in the end, all you're chasing is your ideal of "romance" or "true love". Hence why I couldn't read this entire thread in one go, I felt physically sick at how many people declare themselves hopeless romantics. It's... just... why? Why?

I agree with these people below 100%. I didn't even know there was a such thing as being romantic-repulsed. I think that might be me. lol

I'm borderline romance-repulsed. The sappy stuff makes me want to stab things and love stories are little more than a misleading joke in my opinion. I've occasionally found a cute romance that gets past my repulsion, but they are few and far between and very rarely anything close to a traditional romance.

I used to be more romantic, but now I'm pretty dead and afraid of the idea of romance ><; too much romance makes me rather irritated, and I feel extremely wary when it's aimed at me, even though I should be used to it by now... *sigh*

I've got a lot of love to give, but I'm done with romance. This comes to mind:

"Have you ever been in love? Horrible, isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defences. You build up a whole armour, for years, so nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life... You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own any more. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' or 'how very perceptive' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a body-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. Nothing should be able to do that. Especially not love. I hate love."

• 6 months later...

I think I am romantic person, last thing that i did for my bf is that I bought on the site orospot.com 2 necklace with the same symbol

and now he and me wear it

I'm aromantic and don't like any sort of affection so not very romantic and I find it a bit uncomfortable seeing others showing affection to eachother also.

I'm a hopeless romantic the majority of the time. I'm not in to the mushy stuff that movies and the internet label as romantic, I just like having someone who truly completes me... the kind where you can do anything and still find yourself falling more in love. Its been over a year with my partner, and we could spend the whole day pulling weeds out of a field and somehow I still end up with butterflies and that feeling of "how could I love you any more?"

You lucky son of a-

Quick question IF your asexual and don't want sex is your partner OK with that?

I might be a bit romantic in my head but rarely, however I don't think I would start a relationship because I would be afraid of them asking for sex I'm totally fine up until cuddling and then as soon as clothes come off, hell no I'm outta there.

That is probably my biggest fear.... So mind shedding some light on that and prove to me that love without sex exists? :s

My mind does the strangest things when it comes to romance.

for around 9 months of the year I'll be pretty much aromantic with zero interest in dating or any of that. Then, usually around September each year, my brain will suddenly go into "romance" mode. I'll get a crush on someone and then become somewhat obsessed with romance and the idea of dating. Most times, my attempts to woo my crush completely fails and then I go back into "aromantic" mode for the rest of the year.

confuzzledivy

I feel barely any romantic attraction, but I love romance and would love to be in a romantic relationship. So, I consider myself quite romantic.

I'm in the middle of being a hopeless romantic and a total cynic. I'm cynical because I've seen far too many relationships fall apart (not just in high school, mind you) and I have a feeling that if I were in a relationship, I would end up the same way. I think I was meant to be alone, even though I would love to be in a relationship with the guy I like (though as you may know, I'm still waiting a year). I can't imagine getting married and doing the things I want to do with someone at my side. Besides, who would seriously want to move to Finland with me like I want? I'm a bit hesitant to move there since my family is all here and I love them dearly, but yeah.

As for the hopeless romantic part... I'm a sucker for chick lit (the good kind, not the kinds with stupid synopses and predictable plots). And I do enjoy watching people getting married. And the worst part about winter is that this weather brings out all these romantic feelings within me, like the desire to cuddle with someone while sipping some coffee or apple cider. :P

Hrrrmmm, that'd be hard to answer...

When I was in a relationship, I was about as romantic as anyone can be. I suppose that would happen if I were to be in a relationship again with someone I loved. I do like hugging and cuddling a great deal, it's a very important part of romance for me, much like dialogue, support, and togetherness are. I can get cheesy, too, but only with the one I'd hypothetically be with, not in public or anything.

When I'm not in a relationship and don't like anybody in particular, I can almost pass as an aromantic person. I don't like being touched much (although I tolerate casual hugs from friends, just because they're my friends), and I don't fancy overtly romantic fictional or real stories, either.

I could almost have written this. Except maybe that this "double personality" side of myself might be even more extreme, because I seem totally aromantic (even a little bit sarcastic on romance) when I'm not in love, but when I'm in love, I become hyperromantic. I think it's a natural part of being demiromantic for me, as I suppose that my romantic feelings are stronger than usual because I feel them so rarely.

I just looked through this thread to see if I've already posted or not. Anyway, I do like the thought of walks along the beach at sunset. Which is kinda odd since I'd much rather be in a long distance relationship, so as to maintain a sense of freedom... Which would make sunset walks on the beach kinda impossible.

I'm bipolar in this regard.

Online: I'm a hopeless romantic (Is hyper-romantic the right word?), I end up crushing on everybody and I know it can potentially get me into deep trouble.

Real life: I'm shy and nervous and I'd rather wait until someone approaches me, then I can have a measure of romance that isn't like myself when I'm online.

Either way, I would give up a considerable amount to make a partner happy. I want to be able to do stuff we both want to do; nothing that is one-sided.

Archived