The Adventures of Omnicakes (comic book)

Jadeycakes

Over the past year or so, I have been working on a comic book about my personal experiences with (a)sexuality and gender. I worked with a few professors at my college over the month of January to finish it, and it's now available for download.

If anyone would like to take a look, you can download it from Google Drive (without the need to sign in) at this link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5hZXWLv8rFveWtlVzhseFJSZkk/edit?usp=sharing

My professors said they would really enjoy using the memoir for educational purposes in the future, which is really exciting to me. I'm hoping to redesign the cover and find a way to better publish it, perhaps on Comixology or something. Any publisher suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And, of course, I'd love to hear what the community thinks of it!

Hey, sorry. So I'm really squeaky when I thoroughly enjoy something (which you can't tell from your side), but this is really good, and I love it. It's funny, well-drawn, and long enough that I don't feel jipped of splendors. Thank you for sharing, and I hope this becomes a thing.

I can't suggest any publishing thing, as I'm still not at that process myself, though. Sorry. :c

I absolutely LOVE when strangers get excited about my work! Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone!

That was really cool! I like it. :) Seems to be lot's of deep and personal things in there, I think it's awesome that you could write (and draw) all that, and share it with people. And it's easy to read. A story that long (or "long") and that amount of information could easily fall into tl:dr if it was just text, or not written well enough to keep hold of people's short attention spans. But this works really well, it's great. Good luck with the publishing things. :)

Do you have a local comic book store that you're familiar with? The best advice I've gotten about comics is to start with self-publishing. Find conventions like APE or local groups of artists and promote yourself, hand out/sell your work. A friend of mine wrote her own mini-comic last year and was able to place it in our local shop as for sale by a local artist. A lot of comic book stores I think would be interested in promoting local talent.

As for publishers who might be interested, make sure your pitch is really polished and try sending it to whoever you want. Onipress is a bigger name, but places like Cellar Door, Ape Entertainment, Drawn and Quarterly, or Top Shelf might be good places to send your work for consideration. Fantagraphics just published No Straight Lines, a queer comics anthology, so it might be good to look at how amenable the publisher seems to publishing this kind of story, if they've published LGBT* work before they may be more interested in providing similar work, especially if previous works did well on the market.

* I use LGBT to signify a work that centers around a main character or idea that doesn't follow a cis- het- norm. Most works that yours will be lumped in with will be LGBT, as most will consider anything not cis- het- to be 'alternative'. LGBT is also probably the closest identifying search term you could use (I don't know for sure) to get this sort of information.

Good luck! I'd love to see more work like yours available, both for casual reading and for educational purposes.

Striped Sweater

I just downloaded it and started to read. Looks great so far! Some good humor, fun art, and everything is clearly described. I'd love to sit down and read the whole thing in one go, but I have much to do today. I shall be back when I finish! Also, yay for artsy Minnesotans! I actually kind of like it there, even if it is ludicrously cold for 4-6 months out of the year. Too bad I'll probably never find a job there.

Attempting to download, chrome gives me back warning of infinate redirect loops, it might be down to my paranoid security (3rd party cookies disabled, diffrent 20 character passwords for each site, cookies wiped on sesson close) will try on firefox...

And firefox dosen't complain. Will report back after a reading of it.

It's em nice

(This is why I don't critique things)

Striped Sweater

Finished! That was a good read, and went a lot faster than I thought it would. That's the great thing about comic books. Even when I stop to look at all the pretty pictures, I can still fly through the pages as long as I'm interested. I especially liked the genderless clothing rack part. Great way to make a point. I wish I could give some advice about publishing, but I don't know a thing about that, unfortunately. But I wish you all the best in your publishing endeavors! :cake:

Is there another way I can view this? I am unable to log into Google, and I can't view it without logging into Google T_T

I changed a few small privacy settings that might help, but you shouldn't have had a problem accessing it before. Try it again, and if that doesn't work, try a different browser (if you haven't already).

Friend, I was linked this as a result of being an asexual who periodically goes by Jade. Cross Internet highfive.

I just read that entire thing and will probably be late to my programming class now, but I am okay with this and would have managed to do so regardless. Therefore, you've prevented me from being late for a poor reason such as, "Sat in my chair staring at the wall for half an hour." Cross Internet highfive two.

As a verbose art student, I thoroughly enjoyed both the time, effort, visualization, humour and length put into this endeavour. Cross Internet highfive three.

Until the end, I was able to process all of your story without trouble. In the second half, I feel like you're confusing the notions of biological sex and gender. This is something society does a lot, too. They say gender, when what they really mean is biological sex. Sex is not just a verb. When I receive medical documents, I expect to see options regarding "Sex" reading "M", "F" or "I" - not "Gender" reading "M" or "F." Generally, there is no I, but I think this is because intersexes are not taught about in an effective manner. The ultimate end, though, is that when regarding health, biology and "sex", it is the genitalia that defines us. As someone who does not believe in gender as anything than a societal construct, I do understand the importance of my biological sex and communicating that - as separate from my gender - especially in certain situations such as at a hospital.

To me, you identify as biologically female with a breast dimorphism. Correct me on the use of dimorphism there... I know it's not the word I'm thinking of, but right now it's the closest one. I think you understand what I mean with it, though, even if it's not in proper context. This, of course, does not change whatsoever with your identity as genderless. Rather, a genderless, biological female who feels inconvenienced by some extra packaging. I hate packaging peanuts, personally. My cat always thinks they're edible.

Now I'm even later for class!

I am so good at this. Cross Internet highfive four to you, and self reality highfive one to me.

quick edit; I've noticed with GoogleDrive that the settings have to be "public on the internet / to everyone on the web" before they are viewable to people without google accounts, even though the secondary setting of "public to those with the link (no sign in required)" clearly states that it should do the same. The second one, at least in my experience, still requires a sign in.

Thanks to kkkkai for the advice on publishing, and thanks again to everyone reading and commenting.

Nakauri, I do, personally, understand the difference between sex and gender, and yes, I am biologically female, as far as I know. [A weird dream of mine is to be karyotyped.] I would just rather not admit it, and would rather my gender be accurately reflected by my sex, since so many people use my biology to attempt to prove that I couldn't possibly have a different gender. I like to think that maybe part of my second X chromosome is shaped funny or bent sideways or something. Aside from that, though, I do wear a binder and the only person who ever sees my genitals is my partner, who, much to my joy, occasionally enjoys thinking of them as ambiguous (after all, genitals vary so greatly even between biologically identical persons).

Looking back, I can see a few parts where one might gather that I am confusing these two terms, particularly on the medical form and the part about the beach. I constantly receive medical forms that still ask for my gender rather than my sex as either male or female, at which point I usually write in that my sex is female and my gender isn't. As for the beach part, I'll admit that the wording "ambiguous sex" would have been more in line with this view. Whoops.

Anyway, all high fives returned, and thanks for the feedback.

Wow, this is really good!
Thanks for sharing with everyone ;D :cake:

Also, I identified with a lot of the "genderless" issues that I didn't even realized I had before... Except that unlike you, that kind of move from one to the other depending on the day, I find myself... I don't know... maybe in between.... I'm never really like all the other girls, you know, that like girly stuff and such... I think I'm actually somewhere in between genders (not that I'm moving to any of them, I'm just where I am)

Btw, loved the line "are you sure you're ready for two mindfucks at once?" when the guy asks about your sexualty right after asking things about your gender

• 4 weeks later...
A Gray Phantom

Still can't download it. I'll try next time I'm at the library.

It wouldn't be so difficult, if my old e-mail hadn't been hacked a year ago.

• 3 weeks later...

heeey~ downloaded it a while back and just stumbled across it in my downloads folder. a good read! also, found it very...resonating...with my own experiences.

• 1 month later...
TheNaughtyNeutrois

This is amazing. I agree with above people that you should push to get it published. Heck, you've even inspired me to want to have a go at making a short comic (at least around aromantic asexual fetishist kinda way)

That was unbelievably amazing. You should make comics on this subject for schools and universities and to hang up on doctor's walls and things. You explain everything in such a fun way, without losing sight of the point. You have a lot of talent. I wish I could do things like this :P I can't draw :'(

Anyone using Ubuntu 12 able to view this? Just shows the first two pages in Document Viewer.

OK, mupdf works (available in Software Center).

• 2 months later...

Good news to everyone who may have had trouble opening this file:

I've now "published" The Adventures of Omnicakes online at omnicakes.weebly.com

There, you can view a slideshow version of every page. The site is also available in a mobile version, so you can read it on the go, or show your friends.

I have also placed a paypal button on the site to accept donations. This is, of course, entirely optional, and if you can't afford to donate, I honestly don't want you to. However, if you feel the urge to donate toward future projects (and there are future projects in the works) or pay me for the work I've already done, I would hugely appreciate it. Seriously.

Thanks once again for reading and giving me feedback. I'm amazed that so many people are into this thing.

I didn't want to bump the thread, but since you've done so now, I guess I'll add my two cents - I read through the comic a few months ago and loved it. :) The drawings were so cute, and so were the dialogues. Good luck pitching up some money! I'm eager to read/see more coming from you :cake:

Archived