A(gender)vengers Assemble!

The Pofessional

thewildcardarcana

Okay so I'm exactly average height but does the time I fought off a hammerhead shark with a canoe paddle count as a feat of daring?

-walks past everyone and lifts a hand- Hey~ -takes some food and walks away- thanks everyone.

-looks back- err...yea just dropped by for the food.

• Like 1

This thread is not dead anymore!

Hello fellow agender people. What is going on with you guys?

-pops head out, chewing on some candy- uhmm

Nothing much, just checking Wolf Children again, great movie -thinks- guess that's it for a while x.X

Then back to napping -scratches head and yawns- Kinda tired... Holiday tomorrow so its cool to be lazy today -nods-

Makalasterlove

Hair appointment tomorrow in a salon that actually cares about how you look. gonna be sik af yo

oh yeah also ace meet up today at 7 thats also gonna be sik af yo

Random question, but how did you guys decide which pronouns to use?

I picked they/them because I'm lazy and it's the most gender neutral pronoun I could find.

• Like 1

Well, by my logic, if you aren't female or male, than you are - IT. Basically if you don't to reproduce the gender ceases to matter.

However, FoxyMulder, I like your pronouns. In a matter of speaking it's even more correct than simplified he, she, it.

Ha, made me consider to change my pronouns...

Well, by my logic, if you aren't female or male, than you are - IT. Basically if you don't to reproduce the gender ceases to matter.

However, FoxyMulder, I like your pronouns. In a matter of speaking it's even more correct than simplified he, she, it.

Ha, made me consider to change my pronouns...

I understand what you're saying, and I actually did consider using "It" but being called it would make me feel too much like an object. I suppose it's because, generally speaking, most people only refer to another human as "it" if they want to dehumanize them.

It just seems natural to use they/them (to me anyway) because it's what we automatically use when we don't know the gender of a person.

@FoxyMulder

Well, technically, aren't all people just objects on certain surface? I get what you mean, I just... well probably have lost my touch with humanity more than you are. And, sometimes it's better to be less human, so, IT can probably be considered as a compliment.

I'm thinking about to change my pronouns to - many; but not sure yet.

P.S. for some strange reason, I can't quote anyone on AVEN, probably due to IE, who knows.

P.S.S. Is that Carol Danvers on your avatar? :)

P.S.S. Is that Carol Danvers on your avatar? :)

YES!!!!! Almost no one gets that. Have some :cake: for being among the few.

@FoxyMulder

uh-uh, thanks for the cake, I guess my diet will have to wait :o

Is her current book any good? Always wanted to read about her, but something always stopped me. Love her current costume design.

I picked they/them because I'm lazy and it's the most gender neutral pronoun I could find.

I use the female pronouns, because it's easier and because for me it isn't a big enough issue to get everyone to change, especially as I still mostly look and dress female. The discomfort that stems from being seen as female is smaller than the complicated issue of trying to explain to everyone exactly what I feel like and what to call me. I don't really feel much for a gender, so using that to go by a different pronoun is not always easy to explain.

Makalasterlove

I choose they/them at first. I started to like ey/em/eir because of a joke I made about it. I imagined in my head people introducing me as eyyyyyy, so I really like those pronouns and they are they/them/their without the th-.

A wild Jordan appears....

Now where's this free food?

I actually played with a bunch of pronouns here until I found xe/xir/xirself. The pronouns go from the relatively normal to the downright weird, and they're almost all pretty fun, even if you reckon you've got your pronouns sorted.

• Like 1

First things first, I really really love your icon.

I have a friend who uses xe/xir. I like it, but I couldn't get used to it for myself.

Thank you! I've never really read comics, but I love Kamala. Yours is Carol, right?

I'm still not used to my own pronouns tbh, but I just have them 'cause they fit slightly better than everything else I've tried.

• Like 1

Yes! I adore Kamala and Carol so much. I think pronouns take a little while to get used to. You get so used to calling yourself one thing (even if it doesn't fit) so making the change is hard.

• Like 1
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2014 at 1:24 AM, FoxyMulder said:

edited

• Like 1
Makalasterlove

I had my therapist appointment and I brought up stereotypes of gender. At the end she wanted me to make a list of male/female stereotype that I think that are stereotypes. When I try to do it I can think of a few, but then I realize that the opposite sex does the same thing. I honestly can't think of any stereotypes and this is confusing me. At the end she wanted me to do that "To see if i'm actually transgender". I also hate how people who do identify to prove ourselves when people ask.

It's almost making me reconsider my identity. I don't know if I can actually go back, I feel like I am too far into this identity to actually reverse it. I like it a lot better than when I identified (or didn't put much thought into it) when I was cisgendered. It feels like a newer life for me other than my more destructive past. This whole entire journey gained me so much confidence that I have never achieved before.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
glowtestkraken

I picked they/them because it was easy, but also because since I was young, I always wrote "they" instead of "he/she" on papers, and was always pissed off when teachers corrected me. This was way before I knew anything about gender, but it's always stuck with me.

• Like 1

I referred to myself as a they/them for years without realizing there was anything weird about it.

• Like 1

forgive me for being away so long oh dear

I feel very comfortable with they/them now and I have to say I really cringe inside when friends (one in particular) use the female form of words in my native language. Without noticing it, my mother addressed me as "he" yesterday, but it might be her dialect or incorrect use of language, although I did feel flattered. When it comes to my native language, I'd rather be addressed as he than she, idk, I think he is more "neutral" and I know how weird that sounds.

I never thought there would be such sneaky workarounds such as "person", "somebody", etc, this can be really fun :D

I started learning swedish recently and I absolutely adore how in the very first lesson we had a go at pronouns and the teacher immediately started talking about gender and how there is a third pronoun now, so to say, for people who want to be/identify with neither. Some people in the class laughed, but honestly, I thought it's hella amazing. I love this language already.

• Like 3

I started learning swedish recently and I absolutely adore how in the very first lesson we had a go at pronouns and the teacher immediately started talking about gender and how there is a third pronoun now, so to say, for people who want to be/identify with neither. Some people in the class laughed, but honestly, I thought it's hella amazing. I love this language already.

Best. Teacher. Ever.

Not just a good teacher, a good language. I never knew that about Swedish, it's really great that such languages exist.

**Dives into a pile of grammar books to find out how this works exactly**

-casually walks in- Oh heeeeeeeeeeeeey >.> im back? How is everyone? Im very sorry Ive been away so long and let this thread die for awhile. I hope you all forgive me :(

• Like 1

-casually walks in- Oh heeeeeeeeeeeeey >.> im back? How is everyone? Im very sorry Ive been away so long and let this thread die for awhile. I hope you all forgive me :(

I can't speak for everyone else, but I forgive you!

That is officially awesome.

Not just a good teacher, a good language. I never knew that about Swedish, it's really great that such languages exist.

**Dives into a pile of grammar books to find out how this works exactly**

The gender neutral pronoun "hen" is a quite recent, and according to me much needed, addition to the Swedish language. Unfortunately it has created a lot of controversy, which is fortunately beginning to die down, but a lot of people still resent the word and it's really politically loaded. But, as I said, it's no longer such a touchy subject. Of course, some people will always dislike the word (usually the same people who scoff at feminism and dislike transpeople) but it's becoming more and more accepted by the great masses and the use of it is increasing, so it does look like it's here to stay. :)

• Like 3