A(gender)vengers Assemble!

The Pofessional

Sorry to be kind of jumping back in here off-topic, but something just occurred to me spontaneously, and if there were "agender moments" like there are "ace moments", this would totally be one.

I was addressed as an "adult woman" a few days ago, and I just acknowledged it without much thought beyond a subconscious flash of "oh yeah, I guess that applies to me", as if I forgot. Then it wasn't until last night just before going to bed that it hit me: whenever I hear or see the word "woman", it doesn't register in my mind that I'm a part of that group, I look at it as something separate, like I have no connection to them. It's not a conscious separation like "yeah I count as a woman, but I don't feel like one," it just doesn't enter my mind! It'd be like seeing, say, fire fighters mentioned; I am not a fire fighter so I look at it as talking about other people, and I don't think to make any personal connection. Really goes to show how much I just see myself as a person and don't see any gender connected to that, though as you can probably tell I don't mind at all that I'm female or if people address me as such-- that sort of thing only bothers me when people put too much focus on it or judge me based on it. But yeah, this was pretty weird to realise!

Anyone relate? And do you have any "agender moments"? I think that could be fun to share if you guys can think of some.

• Like 1

Now that you mention it, I sometimes had kind of those moments myself. I sometimes see others doing (more or less stupid things) and I just think like "huh, that must be some kind of 'man thing' they are doing..."

(and I know that a statement seems less believable when there are no concrete examples given...but I can't think of any moments right now, but I swear they are there :P )

Maybe like swooning over cars?

Me me me! After my interview in Milan, someone in chat who saw the recording said "I still can't tell your gender" (referred to biological sex, I presume). And I said, "Oh why, thank you so much!" :D

Yes true, I think I couldn't tell either^^

For those who saw my picture, how obvious is my biological sex? I have this illusion that it might be hard to tell if it wasn't for the fact that I dress male-ish. But it is probably pretty obvious... (please tell me that it is at least somewhat difficult :P no? Oh well :rolleyes: )

ObsessedWithCats

From memory of the pics I'd have guessed your biosex is male, but then I went back to check properly and I'm really not sure now. I wouldn't be particularly surprised either way.

I'm curious about them same thing myself. IRL my voice and my name give it away immediately, but in pictures I can at least hope. Anyone want to try and guess?

The pictures are on page 39 if anyone's looking for them.

Yes true, I think I couldn't tell either^^

For those who saw my picture, how obvious is my biological sex? I have this illusion that it might be hard to tell if it wasn't for the fact that I dress male-ish. But it is probably pretty obvious... (please tell me that it is at least somewhat difficult :P no? Oh well :rolleyes: )

Ooh, thanks. ^_^

I could tell your biological sex from your picture, but I think your face doesn't have a masculine cut. So, even though you don't look exceedingly androgynous, I think you're not manly either. :)

Well, I guess it's good enough...at least for the time being :P :lol:

I'm curious about them same thing myself. IRL my voice and my name give it away immediately, but in pictures I can at least hope. Anyone want to try and guess?

The pictures are on page 39 if anyone's looking for them.

I must say, I don't know, I would only guess that I your could be bio-female because of the long hair? :lol: No, I can't really tell to be honest (but maybe I am just bad at guessing :P )

Lambda Corvus

<...>

I could tell your biological sex from your photograph as well, though there was no immediate indication. Your face doesn't yell 'masculine', but has some subtle features. You look pretty neutral to my eyes.

<...>

<...>

I guess biologically female by your hair, figure, and facial structure.

I have grown a little frustrated with my voice as of late. It has led to some new minour problems with speaking. Also, I have been meaning to post a picture of myself, just as Tommy and Cats have, though I lose confidence each time. :U I think I will wait until my face looks a little better and my hair is a little longer.

Ooh, now I am curious. How easy is it to tell my biological sex from my pictures alone? (Near the halfway point on page 23.)

"[EDIT:] Apparently we have some very high qualifications you must fulfill if you want to join us:

1) Must be able to juggle, or must be able to attempt juggling
2) Must be tall. If you are not tall, you must be short. If lacking in either qualification, must perform a feat of daring (ie. lion taming)
3) Must be willing to don silly hats.
4) No hiding!
5) We'll come up with 5 later."

I contact juggle. Am I good?

"[EDIT:] Apparently we have some very high qualifications you must fulfill if you want to join us:

2) Must be tall. If you are not tall, you must be short. If lacking in either qualification, must perform a feat of daring (ie. lion taming)

4) No hiding!

...you read Romantically Apocalyptic? You must stay.

Lambda Corvus

Ooh, now I am curious. How easy is it to tell my biological sex from my pictures alone? (Near the halfway point on page 23.)

I guess you are biologically male, though I am once more not sure. My reasons for this guess are the form of your hands, the width of your shoulders, and your neck.

Am I just way off here? For some reason, the shape of a person's neck is a large indicator for me. Strange, I know...

You do look fairly androgynous however, so good on you for it!

I'm officially through with guessing other people's bio-sex. No more for me until I post my own pictures.

I look way too feminine for my liking :(

Mid-chest length hair, really short hair and far too much in the curve department are my biggest give aways.

ObsessedWithCats

Yup, I'm biofemale. I'm pretty lucky in that my figure's nothing a big hoodie wont hide, but it'd be nice if hair would grow faster so I wasn't so afraid to cut it. I can (only just) count on one hand the number of times I've been called 'sir' (or some variation on 'sir') or told 'this is the girls' toilets'.

I'd guess you're biomale, Kilo, mostly going on your shoulders.

ObsessedWithCats

I read Girls with Slingshots, El Goonish Shive, XKCD, Dan and Mab's Furry Adventuress, Bug, Dinosaur Comics and probably a few others that I don't check every day. I should get back into reading What's Normal Anyway but it went all romantic :/

Well, you told me your biological sex...I thought >.< ... now I'm not so sure anymore XD

I would probably guess you're biological male^^

<...>

I could tell your biological sex from your photograph as well, though there was no immediate indication. Your face doesn't yell 'masculine', but has some subtle features. You look pretty neutral to my eyes.

Thank you :3

It's my chin and my untended (is this even used in this context :P ) eyebrows, isn't it? :lol:

ObsessedWithCats

I'm not a furry either, but some of the characters (Abel especially) are quite relatable considering the fantasy setting, and I like that lots of the characters get equal story focus. It's dramatic without being too dramatic, and it can be silly without being stupid. It's also developing a depth beyond the storyline much like the Harry Potter universe which I like.

Ok I think I got an agender moment again :lol:

So I was arguing with the significant other of my mother and he got really mad because I have proven his point to be wrong. I was then angry about him getting mad over nothing thinking "that must be those man things again -_-"

I could be considered a furry, but besides having the avatar and appreciating the art, I am not really involved in the fandom^^ Like "too furry for the rest of the internet, not furry enough for the fandom" :lol: I don't know^^

4) No hiding!

You are very good. Welcome to the club. :cake:

Guess who just modified their notebook bag :3

t09y.jpg

I think it looks really great on there^^

I wanttt!!!!

Lambda Corvus

As part of a scholarship, I required two letters of recommendation from my professors. Unfortunately, the one I trust most is extremely busy this time of year (there is a robotics competition this weekend). She came up with a good idea: I write the letter, and she can edit it later to more accurately reflect her opinion. That way, the important material is there for her consideration, and she can say what she wants to say. I sure hope she doesn't mind the extreme use of 'they's. Even though I don't like writing about myself, it was nice to do it in a gender-neutral format.

• Like 1
Lambda Corvus

Tracking information confirms that my graduate school application materials have arrived in Switzerland! It feels oh so good to know that this part is now out of my hands. I hope I did well enough.

On the topic of scholarships: I still have yet to decide what I am writing the necessary Master's Thesis pre-proposal on. I feel bad for waiting this long. I know it will be something in complexity-theoretic cryptography, though I am not sure what. Basic primary idea: "Some cryptosystems have been proposed which were based on NP-completeness. These were defeated, and through their defeat we learned the important differences between average- and worst-case complexity. Propose to investigate and implement a public-key cryptosystem based upon one of the proven average-case NP-complete problems. Additionally, further explore the relationship of average-case complexity with the worst-case complexity hierarchies. This work offers to advance our understanding of average-case complexity and the utility of NP-complete cryptosystems."

For those folks here who are interested in CS, complexity, or specifically cryptography (looks at Silver over rim of glasses), what are your thoughts?

Me me me! After my interview in Milan, someone in chat who saw the recording said "I still can't tell your gender" (referred to biological sex, I presume). And I said, "Oh why, thank you so much!" :D

You're very androgynous, Silver! If... I'm understanding things correctly. I saw that Arts & Crafts day with SilverKitsune thread and I wasn't 100% sure who was who, but I figured you were the one with the glasses and lighter hair? I actually thought the person in those photos was female at first.

Basically seconding what the others said: I could tell you're male, but you don't look particularly masculine.

I could tell you were female, but I think you could be pretty androgynous if you tried out shorter hair. There's no need to be afraid about cutting it; many people find a sudden shift from long to short hair very liberating!

Wow, by your photos I thought male, but I think I recall you saying somewhere that you're biofemale? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but if that's the case I'd never guess!

-

Now I'm curious what people say. <xD I linked a couple pictures in this post, but here are the links again just for convenience: 1 2

These pictures were taken with my hair at its longest, though. I don't have access to most of my photos at the moment, and I need to take some new ones anyway, but here's a crappy one that shows my hair when it's shortest.

From my experience, people are frequently unsure of my sex or assume male, and my voice can come across as a young boy's, but I think the delicate look of my face is what typically leads to the female conclusion. My figure itself is pretty androgynous and can easily come across either way.

I really don't know... If I had to assume, I would assume male but there are no immediate signs of either sex (I'm really bad at this anyways if it isn't really obvious :P )

Wow, by your photos I thought male, but I think I recall you saying somewhere that you're biofemale? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but if that's the case I'd never guess!

*slow fist pump of ultimate victory*

Well, this biofem is suddenly very glad for their large hands and unusually broad shoulders. Is it any wonder that, with long hair and trying to wear feminine clothing, I both looked and felt like I was crossdressing?

Lambda Corvus

<...>

*slow fist pump of ultimate victory*

Well, this biofem is suddenly very glad for their large hands and unusually broad shoulders. Is it any wonder that, with long hair and trying to wear feminine clothing, I both looked and felt like I was crossdressing?

Many congratulations (and some envy) for the way your appearance belies your biological sex!

@Al

***I*** am the one who's going to apply for Information Security! Don't you dare swap! :P In all seriousness, I think the plan is awesome. I'm not sure how theoretical it ought to be, but the plan seems great. I hope you actually get around to working on it :)

<...>

See this?

<...> complexity-theoretic, <...> NP-completeness. <...> average- and worst-case complexity. <...> average-case NP-complete problems. <...> average-case complexity <...> worst-case complexity hierarchies. <...> average-case complexity <...> NP-complete <...>

See it!?! Complexity enough for you?

Seriously, complexity theory actually has much to do with cryptography. AND, the complexity group at ETH just happens to focus on complexity-theoretic cryptography. So there! :D

additionally, I did once have a not-so-serious project in cryptography ... once. something to do for a career?