A(gender)vengers Assemble!

The Pofessional

Guiiiiz I got a black ring BUT LOOK IT'S NOT ONLY BLACK...

tumblr_mxykn3kBP61s7j0mio1_500.jpg

IT'S THE ACE FLAG COLOURS! Course the flag has grey and white stripes, but silver's kinda both. Anyway, I thought this was an awesome coincidental find; I've been wanting to get a black ring because.. well, I've always wanted a ring, and I always wear black, so yeah! I had a silver ring several years ago before I knew about the whole asexual ring concept, but it wore out quickly cos it was cheap; this one is stainless steel and comes with a lifetime warranty, so it'll serve me well. Wasn't all too pricey, either!

• Like 3
Lambda Corvus

Very nice ring. Can we ask where you found it or how you came about it?

*takes slice of cake; too many sweets lately*

Happy 50!

*also had waaaay too much cake to day*

Whatever. *takes cake*

Thanks guys! And hey, good to be here for the 50th page!

Very nice ring. Can we ask where you found it or how you came about it?

Unfortunately I don't have especially useful information in this regard-- it was just at a random gift shop-- but the brand for the ring is RS Covenant, and it's a men's ring.

One of the Italian AVENites posted the picture of their own ring on the board today... it was all black and had the ace of hearts on it (the card and hearts symbol were drawn with golden borders). I'm not really entirely romantic - and not entirely aromantic either, I think? - but I was SO JEALOUS. It's such a gorgeous ring.

Im wondering, how does everyone refer to their romantic/sexual orientation? Do you use your sex for hetero/homo labels?

• Like 1
Lambda Corvus

Im wondering, how does everyone refer to their romantic/sexual orientation? Do you use your sex for hetero/homo labels?

My romantic orientation isn't any more specific than "I'm somewhere a-, but say I'm grey- for now". I would never classify it in terms of sex, as gender is what matters to me. I will explain myself in more detail with the panromantic label, but with caveats. So, I suppose I do use gender-based labelling, but not the explicit hetero/homo/bi binary types.

P.S.: Hope your leg gets feeling better soon.

because of this dilemma i specify female rather hetero althoguh it probably more accurate to say "not males" rather than females for my romantic orientation.

I kinda asked the question because I used to identify as heteroromantic, as I always go by sex for orientations.

Straight and gay don't apply to me, neither sexually nor romantically. I'd use andro- or gyne- if anything, but I still don't know which gender(s) I'm attracted to (males: check; non-binary: check; females: ?) and if I'm just grey- or flipping back and forth between romantic and aromantic. TL;DR "fuck labels" :D

Fuck labels? But you're asexual! :P
  • Like 1

Fuck labels? But you're asexual! :P

<_<

...Yes. Aromatic. Cinnamon and lavender flavoured. BE JEALOUS.

Did someone say cinnamon?

*eats*

*and puts the lavender Restmüll on my desk*

Easy enough for me - aromantic. (Twas labelled as panromantic until I had a rather disquieting revelation about the whole thing. Either way, though, biosex would have had no bearing on the label.)

Same as Kilo here-- it's easy for me cos I'm aromantic. However I may be in the minority in that I'd go by my sex if I was attracted to anyone.

GUYS. SAME-SEX MARRIAGE IS (temporarily) LEGAL IN UTAH. I AM BEYOND ECSTATIC. THE COUNTY BUILDINGS FOR THE ONLY COUNTY THAT IS HANDING OUT MARRIAGE CERTIFICATES ARE OVERFLOWING WITH PEOPLE GETTING MARRIED.

*screams*

And yes, all caps was entirely necessary. And sorry for de-railing the thread.

• Like 2

Wait, Utah? I never expected Utah to legalize homosexual marriage, considering that it's a religious center.

I don't know much about my romantic orientation, but I know that sex wouldn't matter much, to say it wouldn't matter at all^^

And great news you brought us there :)

Lambda Corvus

Am I the only one who is suspicious about this whole Utah thing? Not quite suspicious, but reserved about the celebrations. It is great news that this law was stricken down. That much is fact enough for me to be happy. However, the state legislature is usually very good at drafting a new law which can be just as discriminatory (or worse), while somehow claiming to avoid the concerns of the Supreme Court. I wouldn't put it past human stupidity to fight the good that has come out of this.

Still, excellent news for the moment, whatever may happen! It's a step forwards.

Am I the only one who is suspicious about this whole Utah thing? Not quite suspicious, but reserved about the celebrations. It is great news that this law was stricken down. That much is fact enough for me to be happy. However, the state legislature is usually very good at drafting a new law which can be just as discriminatory (or worse), while somehow claiming to avoid the concerns of the Supreme Court. I wouldn't put it past human stupidity to fight the good that has come out of this.

Still, excellent news for the moment, whatever may happen! It's a step forwards.

Yeah, I'm suspicious too. The state Attorney General is trying to get an emergency suspension of the ruling, saying that it contradicts the will of the voters. There was a vote in 2004, which is where that law came from, and over 60% said that marriage should be between a man and a woman. So I don't think that this is permanent, I think that by Monday at lunch time, it will be illegal again. But the people that do get married in this time will be able to keep their legal standing. So last night pretty much every same-sex couple (of which there are a surprisingly high amount of) rushed to the county offices to get married. A bunch of the counties still wouldn't give out marriage licenses (which is illegal), but one county is open today, even though they were supposed to be closed for the weekend. So there is a lot of interesting stuff happening here.

• Like 1
Janus the Fox

Aromantic and Asexual I keep a loose Bi label for other attractions. I couldn't really use my sex for other labels, it don't feel correct though struggling to understand what that means...

I personally see transgender as a term used only to indicate a binary gender identity opposite to sex, or else all genderqueer people would also be transgender, and it loses its meaning as a separate label.

Of course, I still respect those who use it with agender and stuff.

Anyway, in other news. Does anyone here identify as transgender? I'm asking because it's also used to indicate people who don't identify with their sex, but don't necessarily identify with the opposite sex. Basically a synonym for genderqueer. What are your thoughts on the subject?

every time I read the definition of it, it just seems to be another term for genderqueer (as you stated). I would say I identify as genderqueer because that would makes it easier to explain and also it is easier to grasp for people who don't have much/any knowledge about this stuff^^ (I assume that people would be like "what? Transgender? So you would like to be a woman?")

Anyway, in other news. Does anyone here identify as transgender? I'm asking because it's also used to indicate people who don't identify with their sex, but don't necessarily identify with the opposite sex. Basically a synonym for genderqueer. What are your thoughts on the subject?

I was wondering about this, too (might make an interesting poll?), and I'm seconding Robin and Tommy. I find the more encompassing use of transgender confusing-- it's already rooted in the specific association with MtF/FtM, and genderqueer is already an encompassing term. I mean, transgender did originally only apply to MtF/FtM, right? Does anyone know why that changed?

So yeah, I don't identify as trans, but I don't mind if other people do. I don't really identify with the word genderqueer, either, sort of in the same way that I don't feel my asexuality is queer, but I suppose technically it is.

How do you guys feel about the broadest definition of trans that basically includes anything not stereotypically male/female, i.e., cisgender tomboys?

Lambda Corvus

I do not identify with the transgender labelling, for the same reasons that have been already stated. I don't mind if others do, as it is their choice how to describe themselves, but just don't force me into it. I'm okay with being included in the genderqueer umbrella, but I will not use that as an identifying term on its own.

The very broad definition of trans... That seems to heavily reinforce the gender binary, where any slight deviation from the behaviour or characteristics that are typical for your sex are deemed manifestations of a trans- identity. Perhaps it is also a way of saying "Look, there are so many more trans- people out here!". Widening the goalposts is no way to go here, for the sake of visibility and education. In short, I do not like it.

• Like 1

(reading Vinny's and Al's responses I think I have phrased myself a little unclear :P)

I kinda don't use genderqueer as identifier in English speaking location^^ But I use it as a support word in German so that it makes it easier for me to find a common basis I can speak on

(note to myself: Try to phrase things less vague :P )