A(gender)vengers Assemble!

The Pofessional

AVENgers :o

I miss hanging out here, but I can't at work anymore because I'm too busy being ardent and vigilant and bleh bleh meh!

Splendid Holiday plans everyone :D I'm gonna be with my parents too so, that's a yay!

Hope I can catch up more in this thread ♥

(PS welcome ryn *celebratorycakethrow*)

EDIT: Ugh I started a new page.... compelled.... to.... decorate @_@

christmas-tree-upsidedown.jpg

Lambda Corvus

Hej Chrom! Always good to hear from you. Have fun with your holiday plans.

That Riolu sure is cute Silver. Aren't all Riolu cute, however?

I generally tell them gender identification has two stages for non-binary people: in the first, you reject your biological identity as your gender identity, and in the second, you acquire another identity. For trans* folk, that identity corresponds to the opposite sex. For non-binary folk, it's just something else.

Huh, never heard of the two-stage thingy before, but it makes sense.

If I may ask, how did you explain it to them?

I think it might be difficult in German, with the non-existing gender-neutral pronouns...

It'll probably be impolite to call others "es" ("it"), right?

Anyway, Christmas pics!

Muppets1.jpg

• Like 1

I generally tell them gender identification has two stages for non-binary people: in the first, you reject your biological identity as your gender identity, and in the second, you acquire another identity. For trans* folk, that identity corresponds to the opposite sex. For non-binary folk, it's just something else.

I think it might be difficult in German, with the non-existing gender-neutral pronouns...

Anyway, Christmas pics!

I have thought about it, but I mean I am a person...not an object :P ok this is a little bit different in Germany, though because everything is gendered...but still, I would like something that seems more "human-ey" :D

• Like 1

Tom's link is very useful :) For me personally, I explained that I don't associate with the male gender or the female gender, no matter my biology. It's somewhat easier to explain given that trans* people don't identify with their birth sex either. I generally tell them gender identification has two stages for non-binary people: in the first, you reject your biological identity as your gender identity, and in the second, you acquire another identity. For trans* folk, that identity corresponds to the opposite sex. For non-binary folk, it's just something else.

And have some Christmassy pictures everyone!

Great, I should use this the next time I am talking about this^^ and now that you say that...yes, that was kinda how the process was...

Anyway, Christmas pics!

I have thought about it, but I mean I am a person...not an object :P ok this is a little bit different in Germany, though because everything is gendered...but still, I would like something that seems more "human-ey" :D
"Mädchen" (little girl) is neutral gender, though. Grammar. :P

Gahh the pronouns D:

Why can't we just use one-syllable nicknames for each-other? I mean my roommate calls me 'zee' to abbreviate zander but it's also turned into a pronoun of sorts...'are we taking zee's car?'

It sounds universal enough to me and like... i mean if you're asking someone what their preferred pronoun is then it would be just as easy to ask what their nick is.^^

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Something like that would be awesome I think. Although I would prefer if there were a gender neutral pronoun that was accepted and used by the public. It would also make things easier if you are talking about someone, and you don't know their gender.

(PS Chromanova: you are terrible at replying. *hint hint* )

(wow I haven't been here in a while *waves sheepishly*)

Why can't we all just stop shoving people into boxes and just let everyone be who they are instead of trying to force them to be who we want them to be! I wish it could be so! :(

At least everyone has heard of "they" (maybe not in singular form, but still). I don't expect others to learn a new pronoun just to refer to me, in which they should just refer to me by name. I don't really care about pronouns (points to profile), but I do prefer "they" a bit more.

At least everyone has heard of "they" (maybe not in singular form, but still). I don't expect others to learn a new pronoun just to refer to me, in which they should just refer to me by name. I don't really care about pronouns (points to profile), but I do prefer "they" a bit more.

Do you think Germany should get a special neutral pronoun for persons? I personally would love to have it^^

I already thought about how it would be referring by just using ones name...in Germany it would be grammatically possible as far as I know...but it sounds so weird to me :D

Do you think Germany should get a special neutral pronoun for persons? I personally would love to have it^^

I already thought about how it would be referring by just using ones name...in Germany it would be grammatically possible as far as I know...but it sounds so weird to me :D

I would think so, too. But in that case, I would be das Robin or something? Sadly, German doesn't have something handy like the singular "they".

I would think so, too. But in that case, I would be das Robin or something? Sadly, German doesn't have something handy like the singular "they".

I'm not sure I think I confused us XD

I don't love to have "it" meaning "it" but special neutral pronoun for use on persons^^

Though it is funny that my mom refers to me as "das Tom" sometimes xD I kinda find it funny and I don't really mind it...but I feel like it is weird useing "it" like "Es will nach Hause gehen" ..."It wants to go home" ... I don't know :lol:

so "das Tom" ok, "Es" not so :lol:

And by referring using name only it get's repetitive and awkward if the person is being referred to a lot...maybe it's just a case of needing time to become accustomed with it^^

Oh that, sorry. :ph34r:

Since I'm not a native speaker of German, what would you propose as a pronoun?

Lovelies, can I have some input here?

Well... when you're talking about an individual, indiscriminate of who they are, you'll usually use "they" in singular...
If someone wants to go shopping, then they'll usually go to town!

Something nice about german is formulating sentances with "one"... in english it sounds so archaeic if you say "In order to shop, one usually goes to town"
But in german, it's so common place! "Man gehts ins Dorf."

German is rather interesting in this regard. (Grammar nitpick: man geht :P )

I think Chinese is quite gender-neutral. For "you", we have 你 (male/generic) and 妳 (female). They are spoken the same, and grammatically, one is not required to use the female term, so the generic term can be used all the time.

For "he/she/they" we have 他 (male/generic), and 她 (female). Again, the same as above.

This is because the word base of the generic version is "person", and the female version is "female".

Is that too confusing? Chinese logic can be hard to translate to English.

• Like 1

Now I'm kind of feeling blessed that English is my home language... kind of.

That makes sense to me Robin. Although I probably would likely find it complicated in application.

Lovelies, can I have some input here?

Something nice about german is formulating sentances with "one"... in english it sounds so archaeic if you say "In order to shop, one usually goes to town"

But in german, it's so common place! "Man gehts ins Dorf."

I would say if someone wants to virtually tear your head off over the selection should be reminded that most websites don't even offer this kind of variety^^

Yes and no..."man" is not really neutral..because afaik it is derived from "Mann" (man) xD now it becomes confusing :P

AFAIK, no, man has nothing to do with Mann. Coincidence. Der Mann, but "man" is just "man"

• Like 1

AFAIK, no, man has nothing to do with Mann. Coincidence. Der Mann, but "man" is just "man"

I'll just trust you on this^^ (I probably have read to much stuff regarding feminism...I think that's were that idea came from...I think it wasn't derived, but they complained that it would be kind of an association with it *doing some research now (instead of playing Pokémon like I wanted to xD)* )

I'll just trust you on this^^ (I probably have read to much stuff regarding feminism...I think that's were that idea came from...I think it wasn't derived, but they complained that it would be kind of an association with it *doing some research now (instead of playing Pokémon like I wanted to xD)* )
Don't trust them. They're the same people who thinks the word "history" is unfair because it's history. Of course, not every feminist is like this, but sometimes.

Don't trust them. They're the same people who thinks the word "history" is unfair because it's history. Of course, not every feminist is like this, but sometimes.

Well, ok...xD I don't really know what to say about that :P now that you say it...this is also a little bit unfair isn't it? ;)

Well, ok...xD I don't really know what to say about that :P now that you say it...this is also a little bit unfair isn't it? ;)

49bx.jpg

• Like 1