A(gender)vengers Assemble!

The Pofessional

I'll be celebrating Christmas with my family, as usual. I asked for an Espresso machine, and lock picks, and I'm hoping that I'll get both. Also, my birthday is four days before Christmas, although I won't really be celebrating my birthday on my birthday. I'll probably be celebrating it on the 29th or so, because my best friend will be here. :) And I don't have any new years resolutions.

so, I'm finally at home ...(Mondays are stupid...need more time commuting to University than actually being at it... -why do I even bother going there Mondays...I don't really miss anything :P)

Lately as my sisters get older they've stopped wanting to get up at 6am to open presents (I still function like a five year old in that aspect), so I might let them lie in and go on a Parkrun. I can then spend the day eating vast amounts of Christmassy food, which aside from being at home is the best thing about Christmas.

In Germany we open the presents on christmas eve^^ That was the only time in the year (besides New Year) that I could stay up as long as I wanted (when I was younger^^)

Well, how do I celebrate christmas...besides the usual going to church and special christmas family dinner...we don't really celebrate it that much...

For Christmas presents...I generally don't want them...of course when I was younger it was a bit different :3 I will probably end up in getting some money. I may want to buy an FPGA-devboard^^

And of course there is also my birthday on December 31st...well same as above...people are coming and I don't really want them to come and we are all happy :P -_-

And those who I would like to spend my birthday with are too far away...and those who could be spending it with me are only spending maybe an hour with me...because well, they are young and want to party... :mellow:

and for new year resolutions...no never did them. I always had the opinion that if you want to accomplish something truly you wouldn't need to make a resolution just because a new year began... like how I decided one day that I want to lose weight and here am I still losing weight :P (I guess that it wouldn't have worked so well with a new year resolution^^)

hey what a coincidence...I am also having a collaboration project :3

So far as I know, I'll be celebrating Christmas with my mother and sisters as usual, which sits fine with me. We put on Christmas music and decorate a real tree a few days before (for which the cats love us. I mean, it's like a piece of nature indoors, and it's covered in baubles!) The day of, we get together to open presents in the morning, and have lots of small, tasty foods on which to graze throughout the day. If new video games are given, they're usually played, but aside from that we haven't formed many traditions since we moved.

Almost enough to make me miss being a kid in a small town. We'd put our slippers on the window sills the night before, to be filled with candies and mandarin oranges. Then after presents were opened, Dad would take us outside with a toboggan attached to a rope, and swing us around in the (nigh deserted) intersection until we either couldn't stand or crashed into a snowbank.

(I usually ask for money nowadays. Far easier than asking a super conservative relative for, say, a new binder.)

Am I the only one who really can't care for family gatherings? I think I'm sounding like a horrible person now :P

I'll probably see relatives on the day (otherwise, they pretty much never see me except on very special occasions, swamped in schoolwork as I am), and I don't have a particularly strong bond with any of them, so it's going to be boring. There's nothing I really need and I'd rather they don't give me anything at all than give me stuff I won't use. They've gotten accustomed to the idea over time, but I got countless not so useful presents when I was younger (I have lots of relatives).

Frankly, the thought is enough. The nicest thing about Christmas is the time off school or work, IMHO.

Lambda Corvus

Am I the only one who really can't care for family gatherings? I think I'm sounding like a horrible person now :P

I'll probably see relatives on the day (otherwise, they pretty much never see me except on very special occasions, swamped in schoolwork as I am), and I don't have a particularly strong bond with any of them, so it's going to be boring. There's nothing I really need and I'd rather they don't give me anything at all than give me stuff I won't use. They've gotten accustomed to the idea over time, but I got countless not so useful presents when I was younger (I have lots of relatives).

Frankly, the thought is enough. The nicest thing about Christmas is the time off school or work, IMHO.

Not alone in the slightest! Whenever I go home for the break, I don't really associate with my immediate family, and I avoid the extended family. I hate when people who don't know me try to give me gifts. They usually come to be novelty things that have no real purpose. So too here with the break from school and work.

Not alone in the slightest! Whenever I go home for the break, I don't really associate with my immediate family, and I avoid the extended family. I hate when people who don't know me try to give me gifts. They usually come to be novelty things that have no real purpose. So too here with the break from school and work.

I didn't want to say it that way because I didn't want to seem rude or anything...but yes, that's the same for me

The last time I celebrated christmas was when I wrote a letter to santa asking for a puppy. Mom then told me that Santa got hit by an airplane. yea...

As for family gatherings, I've never been to one, so it is something I wish to experience at least once in my life.

• Like 1

My familys kinda all over the place right now so we're probably not doing much other then a dinner. Maybe i'll do something with my sister if she doesn't leave.

Well, as said above, I like the company of my mother and sisters. Extended family, however...I could do without those hours of small talk or rough soccer.

(And useless gifts? So much so. Anyone who knows me in the least would not give me sparkly shampoo as anything but a joke. Perhaps they hope that if they believe and push hard enough, I'll start acting like a 'regular girl'.)

*flings self into forum* I ARRIVE!

I read the rules... I cannot juggle, but I AM tall...ish...

Yaaaay~ nongenders!

Welcome ^^ I hope you will be having a great time wit us :)

So because we are talking about christmassy things...is the "tradition" of having an Advent calendar also present in other countries? If so, anyone having a fancy one or a homemade one? My grandma has a Advent calendar for us which was filled by her...I can't eat the contents of it daily... I'll become fat XD (not that I am currently thin or something...just on a good way^^)

Lambda Corvus

Yaaaay~ nongenders!

First of all, my (very sleepy) welcoming AlGorithm welcomes you. I hope you enjoy your stay, for however long that may be.

Welcome ^^ I hope you will be having a great time wit us :)

So because we are talking about christmassy things...is the "tradition" of having an Advent calendar also present in other countries? If so, anyone having a fancy one or a homemade one? My grandma has a Advent calendar for us which was filled by her...I can't eat the contents of it daily... I'll become fat XD (not that I am currently thin or something...just on a good way^^)

In both the U.S. and Canada, we have the tradition of the Advent calendar. I only participated once or twice, and only when little. Now 'adays, I wouldn't dare eat the sweets daily.

ObsessedWithCats

Welcome Ryn_Spired :)

We have advent calendars here - usually cheap cardboard ones with a tiny Christmas themed chocolate in. I'm not very good at them - I tend to save the chocolates up until Christmas day, at which point I'm too full of other food for naff advent chocolate. I don't know if I'm getting one this year, since I'm not going to be home 'til the seventh.

I think last year we got a big tin of decent quality fun-sized chocolates and each had one after dinner in the run up to Christmas. I prefer that to ordinary advent calendars, but it's probably even less healthy.

the bumbling rotifer

I have to work all xmas, so I'm trying to block out the fact that it even exists. I only really get confronted with it when I go to the shops.

It's bizarre viewing xmas from a non-participatory point of view - I muse to myself when I'm in shops that the xmas decorations and music are triggers for rampant consumerism that have been pre-programmed in us from childhood by our capitalist society.

I have to work all xmas, so I'm trying to block out the fact that it even exists. I only really get confronted with it when I go to the shops.

It's bizarre viewing xmas from a non-participatory point of view - I muse to myself when I'm in shops that the xmas decorations and music are triggers for rampant consumerism that have been pre-programmed in us from childhood by our capitalist society.

2+kinds+of+people_d97660_4888782.jpg

• Like 2

Christmas: It's not traditional in Taiwan, so I don't usually celebrate it. However, this year I'm in Germany, which is a great chance to see how Westerners do it. My host family is going to cook a goose for Christmas. What a scene! I wonder how long it takes to finish it... I have an advent calendar (the type that is sturdy and can be reused every year), and I filled it with Ritter Sport mini-chocos. A different flavor every day. I also have a cute little Christmas light in my bedroom.

This is my first Christmas away from (real) family... Mixed feelings.

My Christmas avatars :wub:

I don't usually have new year resolutions. But if I have to have one, then it's "Pass the B2 level German test".

• Like 3

Sorry for my long absence! ;A;

Ugh, christmas. This year I'm really not in the mood... I'll visit my parents, but we don't have any great traditions, we just usually sit together, eat cookies and talk (plus the presents part of course). My mother and me have made this kind of deal to tell us what we want from each other for christmas, so I'm going to buy myself a coupon from a bookstore and her the book she wants.

I *think* I even had some kind of "coming out" thing going on there, but I'll put it in a spoiler for those who want to skip it .__.

I called her before because I was feeling really shit because of university lately (a prof is making me really angry) to ask her what to do (which is usually a bad idea and/or we don't have such a great bond). This time it actually helped, but...
She was mentioning my brother coming over for christmas, to her surprise, she thought he'd spent the first christmas together with his gf now, but nah apparently. I just answered "well, no worries, that kind of situation will never happen with me". She was responding along the words of "yeah, but you don't know what might happen, you'll fall in love eventually" and after me persisting that it won't happen, I asked "how do you know you wouldn't be interested in a woman?" and she suprisingly said "I don't know". And told me about a story of a man who was happily married with a woman (even had a kid) until he met a man... After that she subtly asked me whether I was gay ("why, do you like a woman?") which I denied (Not currently, at least). She was always fine with me saying that I'm not friends with this whole love thing, but she constantly keeps on adding stuff like "but you don't know, you might find someone one day" until I bursted out "well, but there are people who don't want any of this crap at all" thinking about how "normal" relationship do include sex. Long story short, I kind of described asexuality without using the word (not because I felt ashamed or sth, but I was calling her not talking to her in person, so Idk, I think it would be weird. If she asked me directly, I wouldn't deny it, Idc.). I don't really think she understood though... Maybe I'll bring the topic back up when I visit them... Any suggestions?

Sorry for my long absence! ;A;

Ugh, christmas. This year I'm really not in the mood... I'll visit my parents, but we don't have any great traditions, we just usually sit together, eat cookies and talk (plus the presents part of course). My mother and me have made this kind of deal to tell us what we want from each other for christmas, so I'm going to buy myself a coupon from a bookstore and her the book she wants.

I *think* I even had some kind of "coming out" thing going on there, but I'll put it in a spoiler for those who want to skip it .__.

I called her before because I was feeling really shit because of university lately (a prof is making me really angry) to ask her what to do (which is usually a bad idea and/or we don't have such a great bond). This time it actually helped, but...

She was mentioning my brother coming over for christmas, to her surprise, she thought he'd spent the first christmas together with his gf now, but nah apparently. I just answered "well, no worries, that kind of situation will never happen with me". She was responding along the words of "yeah, but you don't know what might happen, you'll fall in love eventually" and after me persisting that it won't happen, I asked "how do you know you wouldn't be interested in a woman?" and she suprisingly said "I don't know". And told me about a story of a man who was happily married with a woman (even had a kid) until he met a man... After that she subtly asked me whether I was gay ("why, do you like a woman?") which I denied (Not currently, at least). She was always fine with me saying that I'm not friends with this whole love thing, but she constantly keeps on adding stuff like "but you don't know, you might find someone one day" until I bursted out "well, but there are people who don't want any of this crap at all" thinking about how "normal" relationship do include sex. Long story short, I kind of described asexuality without using the word (not because I felt ashamed or sth, but I was calling her not talking to her in person, so Idk, I think it would be weird. If she asked me directly, I wouldn't deny it, Idc.). I don't really think she understood though... Maybe I'll bring the topic back up when I visit them... Any suggestions?

Greetings from Bavaria :) (sorry if I already greeted you at some point..I can't remember at least ^^)

And I'm sorry that I can't give you very good advice...maybe just using the term asexual would help...maybe the concept seems less "cloudy" or something :) I have not much experience coming out myself so...sorry :(

Maybe xD (Jaja, Bayern... *hust*)

Yes, I felt really uncomfortable talking about it on the phone, it's so unpersonal... Although I'm convinced she won't know what it means. *sigh* I actually don't make a great deal of it, if our talk goes in this direction, I might as well just say it, although I don't really think it's their business. *shrugs* Whatever may come.

Just do what you think is best :)

Also I was thinking if I might want to come out as agender (or genderqueer at least) to one of my friends...any thoughts on this?^^

Also I was thinking if I might want to come out as agender (or genderqueer at least) to one of my friends...any thoughts on this?^^

If and when you feel comfortable, go ahead. My friends (most of which are straight and cis, so perfectly heteronormative) have taken my gender outing really well. They even attempted to address me neutrally a few times, although in Italian it's pretty difficult. I love them for that :D

If I may ask, how did you explain it to them?

I think it might be difficult in German, with the non-existing gender-neutral pronouns...

Yaaaay~ nongenders!

Welcome to the group Ryn! :cake: :cake: :cake:

Christmas: It's not traditional in Taiwan, so I don't usually celebrate it. However, this year I'm in Germany, which is a great chance to see how Westerners do it. My host family is going to cook a goose for Christmas. What a scene! I wonder how long it takes to finish it... I have an advent calendar (the type that is sturdy and can be reused every year), and I filled it with Ritter Sport mini-chocos. A different flavor every day. I also have a cute little Christmas light in my bedroom.

This is my first Christmas away from (real) family... Mixed feelings.

My Christmas avatars :wub:

I don't usually have new year resolutions. But if I have to have one, then it's "Pass the B2 level German test".

For some reason, meat cooked during the holidays takes foreverrr to cook. But you'll have to be patient and just wait...speaking from experience there is limit to how raw is too raw LOL. Self-food poisoning= not kool :P

I'm not sure what this advent calender thingy ma bob is, but from context, it sounds like chocolate. And chocolate does not last long in my hands. Nope. I like to store chocolate in a nice safe place--like my stomach. yes. In fact, I'm gonna do that now.

Cold. And just a little snowed in. But I have fresh cookies, so all is well.

It's like -10 where I live D:

In what method of measuring temperature?