A(gender)vengers Assemble!

The Pofessional

Psst, I haven't played since the Japanese version of Soul Silver. I did go on hiatus for gen5 as well. :P

But I decided to take it up again now. Because there's too much awesome on X and Y. And SO MANY POKEMON O_O

/fanspamming

Alright. I should make a poll in Census to see who likes Y better than X. It seems to me that X is outstandingly popular.

ObsessedWithCats

If I get one it'll be X. I can't remember why, but I remember looking at the differences and thinking 'I'd definitely get X'.

Lambda Corvus

After classes yesterday, I was finally able to sit down in relative peace and quite to play X. I was hooked near-instantaneously.

Experiences: My starter is Fennekin, who I named "Vaina", short for Väinämöinen -- the central character in Finnish folklore, an old and wise person with a magical voice.

As soon as I received Fennekin, I felt the need to try out Pokémon Amie. I have spent lots of time petting and feeding Vaina. I'm a little sad, however, because the face recognition does not like me; apparently, I always have a neutral face (even with mouth agape) and wide eyes (even with eyes closed). It's a pity that a calibration feature was not included.

I had good fortune enough to catch a Pikachu. I named them "Jingles", from the talented mouse known as Mr. Jingles in /The Green Mile/.

I am poised to go down Route 22 tonight, in order to train further for the Gym leader's battle. Hopefully, I will encounter a cuddly Riolu, whom I will name "Anubis".

The 3D effect is tasteful 3D. It is not overdone, it is not absolutely essential to the game, but it does add to the experience. I think I should start a "General X and Y Experiences" thread, rather than dump all the Pokémon on the AgenderVengers.

You are all so mean...I don't even own a 3DS :(

(yay for declaring you mean just because you have something I don't have)

I considered buying one...but I don't know...I think I'd rather wait.

I don't know how much different those two games are but I used to either choose them buy taking the game my friends didn't have. This or I'd choose the game with the more appealing pokémon :P

Lambda Corvus

I don't know how much different those two games are but I used to either choose them buy taking the game my friends didn't have. This or I'd choose the game with the more appealing pokémon :P

That was actually how I chose X over Y. Friend was/is going to get Y, so I went with X. I didn't have any real preference for X or Y before then, and was in a terrible dilemma over which one was more suited to me, so thanks friend<S> (you know who you are)!

Waiting to buy such things is never a bad thing. The time was now for me to play, though this time is not for everyone.

Unfortunately my friend don't even think about a 3DS...

I'm afraid that the 3D might not work (right) on me, I already experienced (minor) problems with the 3D in the cinema.

The time was now for me to play, though this time is not for everyone.

Yeah, let's see... maybe for christmas (even though I just use christmas as an excuse to buy things that would be perceived as too expensive during the rest of the year :P )

That was actually how I chose X over Y. Friend was/is going to get Y, so I went with X. I didn't have any real preference for X or Y before then, and was in a terrible dilemma over which one was more suited to me, so thanks friend<S> (you know who you are)!

Waiting to buy such things is never a bad thing. The time was now for me to play, though this time is not for everyone.

Thats how i chose too. Everyone I knew was getting X, so I got Y. Plus I like red and the dragon thing.

Lambda Corvus

I'm afraid that the 3D might not work (right) on me, I already experienced (minor) problems with the 3D in the cinema.

Yeah, let's see... maybe for christmas (even though I just use christmas as an excuse to buy things that would be perceived as too expensive during the rest of the year :P )

You may be able to find stores with the 3DS on display so as to see if the 3D works for you. Alternatively, if the 3D is not a super-critical feature for you, you may be able to go for the 2DS. It is not as outlandishly expensive as the 3DS and does have similar battery performance as the 3DS. I've also heard it is much more comfortable to hold than the 3DS. Too many "2DS"es and "3DS"es for me today.

You may be able to find stores with the 3DS on display so as to see if the 3D works for you. Alternatively, if the 3D is not a super-critical feature for you, you may be able to go for the 2DS. It is not as outlandishly expensive as the 3DS and does have similar battery performance as the 3DS. I've also heard it is much more comfortable to hold than the 3DS. Too many "2DS"es and "3DS"es for me today.

It's not a feature I need, but I think I want a 3DS anyways^^ I hate that a nintendo console (at least the handheld) is apparently considered "for kids" by many people I know :( Always those unreasonable argumentations...

(though, I already saw at least one person at the university who owns -and plays- a 3DS)

Also ...sigh...my mother just decided to make an appointment with the hairdresser against my will :mad: (I know I made a post which stated the acceptance of my hair, but it wasn't my mother accepting it...)

While I planned on going to a hairdresser soon because my hair needs a few "directions" :lol: it's still not ok to just make decisions over my head.

As I'm still not old enough... <_<

I'm going to the appointment anyways...but either way it will probably not please my mother because I don't plan on making my hair shorter :P

Though, I still don't exactly know what I want :huh:

Tommy, the 3DS works just fine without the 3D effect as well. I mean, you can turn it off and just play the games in 2D graphics. That's what's neat about it. :)

I don't plan on playing much on 3D, as of right now, since I'm not very interested in the feature... plus, battery life is significantly shorter with 3D on.

Is it just me or the 2DS seems awful to handle, though? The A, B, X, Y buttons are higher up than the arrow keys, so you basically have to hold it diagonally. Or is it just my impression?

Also, I've contacted a bunch of people who put up announcements online that they were selling a 3DS and even the only one who answered later disappeared... why would people state they're selling something only to disregard their potential buyers lately? Beats me really. :blink:

I've never played Pokemon because I could never afford they games - nor would anyone buy them for me :(

I do have a 3DS though - just no games to play on it. Logic? Nope.

I've never played Pokemon because I could never afford they games - nor would anyone buy them for me :(

Hey that reminds me of my iPod touch. *has an iPod - doesn't listen to music/has no music on it* XD

Hey that reminds me of my iPod touch. *has an iPod - doesn't listen to music/has no music on it* XD

Put GBA emu on there , lol.

Na^^ it's already 5 years old and I don't use it anymore because I have a smartphone now^^

I had a GBA emu on it, but...it's no fun without "tactile feedback" a screen just can't replace a real button

Na^^ it's already 5 years old and I don't use it anymore because I have a smartphone now^^

I had a GBA emu on it, but...it's no fun without "tactile feedback" a screen just can't replace a real button

True dat... in spite of this, however, I've become a pretty fast type-ist on iPads ;)

I remember seeing my classmates playing on their phone... this one guy, in a 45 min lesson, caught a golden lapras with only a pokéball and endless quicksave/quickloads xD

Not fun at that point though ._.

*begins nerdy talk about programming* (just so your warned :P )

Should I feel bad for feeling great that I learn the new programming language faster than most of my fellow students?

I kinda feel bad for it, but on the other hand I am trying to teach my knowledge to others, so I kinda balanced it XD

But still I feel like a total noob...I am sitting here for 2 hours and just finally figured out how to search and sort binary trees :P

I'm a Object Oriented language spoilt brat xD

@AlGorithm: What's the language in your signature? Scheme or Lisp or something like that?

Lambda Corvus

Should I feel bad for feeling great that I learn the new programming language faster than most of my fellow students?

I kinda feel bad for it, but on the other hand I am trying to teach my knowledge to others, so I kinda balanced it XD

But still I feel like a total noob...I am sitting here for 2 hours and just finally figured out how to search and sort binary trees :P

@AlGorithm: What's the language in your signature? Scheme or Lisp or something like that?

Both of your guesses are correct: it is Scheme, which is a dialect of the Lisp family.

What new language is this that you speak of? I was in the same situation when the class was supposed to learn and apply Scheme; I picked it up faster than anyone else, and I am still Scheming while the others have (foolishly) categorically rejected the entire functional paradigm. Scheme is now my favorite language for theoretical exploration, and I have been helping a new round of students learn the language. It makes me happy to see a few other students exploring the language ... like a true Schemer XD .

Both of your guesses are correct: it is Scheme, which is a dialect of the Lisp family.

What new language is this that you speak of? I was in the same situation when the class was supposed to learn and apply Scheme; I picked it up faster than anyone else, and I am still Scheming while the others have (foolishly) categorically rejected the entire functional paradigm. Scheme is now my favorite language for theoretical exploration, and I have been helping a new round of students learn the language. It makes me happy to see a few other students exploring the language ... like a true Schemer XD .

We have to learn and apply Racket (formerly PLT Scheme). If I'm informed correctly its a subset of Scheme. Funny about this is, that I planned to learn (Common) Lisp for a long time now. I even got an eBook copy of "Practial Common Lisp". I only gave it a short look because I needed the time for other stuff. Now I regret it XD

What I also find very amusing is that I learn all the programming techniques by name just to realize that I already do it that way, but only not knowing how it was called -I guess it's typical for self taught programmers :P

Do you also have this strong "problem solving" drive sometimes? A question for all of you :D (also for those who aren't computervengers ;) )

Sometimes I get so obsessed/absorbed with a problem that I cannot rest until it's solved...Time passes quickly while in the flow and/or hyperfocus^^ (unfortunately I almost cannot get in the state of flow or hyperfocus while working in a group...I get asked questions too much and too frequently)

And then in the end this feeling when everything worked out...amazing... :wub: And even better if it worked out with the first try especially when you expect it to "totally not work at all, but might as well give it a try" :P

Scheme; I picked it up faster than anyone else,

Yeah, we got told many times that those who already have object oriented programming experience will have massive problems with Racket. I don't get where they where coming from, sure I have some bumps in the road but overall I really like it. Some bumps are IMHO really unnecessary, like how they first showed us lambdas:

(define f (lambda (x) (+ x 1)))

What I didn't know back then was that this was the only way to show the usage of lambdas in the beginner mode...and it is nothing else than:

(define (f x) (+ x 1))

and I didn't really understand why you even need lambdas...ok I admit it I think I still don't fully understand the need of it :P

I am also gladly offering my help to other students...but what I really hate is when I get asked to help them with their homework when they didn't even attemped the exercises...like 4/5 of all questions wouldn't even come up if they would do the exercises -that are especially designed to prepare you for the homework- before the homework.

^ No wrong in feeling proud, Tommy. I totally would. It got me some time before I worked out how I was supposed to do Java and I'm still not brilliant... I'd take a lot more pride in myself if I were. :P

Yeah. It is a really good feeling to overhear about 4 people discussing and trying to figure out the homework while I already got it figured out a week ago and am already doing the next homework^^ But then again I don't want to sound too much of a bragger...bragging only brings trouble :mellow:

I could continue about this for hours XD but I think it's enough for now :D

phase one of turning this thread into the computervenger's lair complete > :D

Lambda Corvus

For Tommy (too long to quote; direct address):

I was always the impression that Racket was a superset of Scheme; it grew out of it and added expanded features not explicitly required by the standard. This could be just my screwy impression, however. I have read Practical Common Lisp. It is a good book full on great information about a fantastic language. Indeed, if I were to create a program that is of actual use to people other than me (I have a few ideas) I would use Common Lisp. Unfortunately, graduate school applications have caused me to possess significantly less free time than in the past, and so my current practical programming project has been placed on hold.

It has been my experience that object-oriented programmers do encounter many obstacles when learning Scheme. I am of the opinion that the (define f (lambda (x) (+ 1 x))) style is better than the (define (f x) (+ 1 x)) version, for consistency reasons more than anything else. (lambda) always made sense to me as creating an anonymous function, which is incredibly useful in theory and in practice. Additionally, I've seen many students get hung up on the different syntax for the two. If you want to talk more about theoretical and practical programming, please feel free to PM me. Perhaps I can provide some demonstration on the utility of (lambda) from a seasoned Schemer's perspective.

And yes, I am an intense problem-solver. My mind is structured in such a way as to look for problems to solve in anything and everything, even if problems don't exist. At times, this has been a major weakness (the GRE, for instance). However, when an actual interesting problem is noticed, I can isolate myself from the outside world for many hours. Time does fly by, I will miss meals, I will ignore phone calls -- anything to solve that problem. When the solution comes about, it is a truly great feeling.

I got Pokemon X because I liked Charizard and Mew Two's mega-evolution better than in Y, and I like the X exclusives more too. :P I did like the red dragon, though, but a friend of mine got Y so we're going to trade. :D I didn't get a 3DS until recently though. It does give you an option to play in 2D or 3D, so if you have a problem with the 3D, you don't have to have it on.

As for problem solving, when I program, I (almost) never run the debugger. I just sit there. Glaring at the code and/or staring at it blankly. For several hours. Then I go "Oh!" and figure out what's wrong. Then bliss.

Lambda Corvus

I got Pokemon X because I liked Charizard and Mew Two's mega-evolution better than in Y, and I like the X exclusives more too. :P I did like the red dragon, though, but a friend of mine got Y so we're going to trade. :D I didn't get a 3DS until recently though. It does give you an option to play in 2D or 3D, so if you have a problem with the 3D, you don't have to have it on.

As for problem solving, when I program, I (almost) never run the debugger. I just sit there. Glaring at the code and/or staring at it blankly. For several hours. Then I go "Oh!" and figure out what's wrong. Then bliss.

I am in the "almost never debugger" camp as well. I prefer to have a solid grasp of the problem at hand before I sit down to code. Usually, if I encounter persistent bugs, it is because I either don't understand the language in enough detail or I do not understand the problem fully. I like to map out the problem space in my mind, exploring its terrain for potential potholes, pitfalls, valleys, and mountains. That being said, I have found there is no better debugging tool than loads of printing statements throughout the program.

Gahh, I feel so out of place here amongst all you awesome computer people. We really need to establish a MusicTheatrevengers thread as that is my area of expertise :P

As for problem solving in general. I tend to become so focused upon solving a problem that it is hard for me to do anything else until I have fixed it - it also makes it hard for me to admit defeat if my problem is indeed unsolvable, something that would have saved me much grief and time if I could simply end my stubbornness :mad:

For Tommy (too long to quote; direct address):

I was always the impression that Racket was a superset of Scheme; it grew out of it and added expanded features not explicitly (...)

(...) If you want to talk more about theoretical and practical programming, please feel free to PM me. Perhaps I can provide some demonstration on the utility of (lambda) from a seasoned Schemer's perspective.

I think you could be right^^

Oh yes please :)

I am in the "almost never debugger" camp as well. I prefer to have a solid grasp of the problem at hand before I sit down to code. Usually, if I encounter persistent bugs, it is because I either don't understand the language in enough detail or I do not understand the problem fully. I like to map out the problem space in my mind, exploring its terrain for potential potholes, pitfalls, valleys, and mountains. That being said, I have found there is no better debugging tool than loads of printing statements throughout the program.

I have this unusual middle-down-bottom-top-down approach xD I love to experiment around and grasping the problem later :P

It might not be the most effective method but it sure is fun^^

I also like to have everything in my mind. You described it very nice :) (but that can be also bad because I then tend to make sloppy documentation)

It led to interesting situations where someone would show me code and they are sure that is works perfectly (without having tested it before hand) and I would say, you should test it out for learning purposes, but I can tell you that it won't work this way. Of course they would't believe me being 110% sure of their abilities :rolleyes: I don't want to say that I am perfect -I'm far from that- but I sometimes wonder how often I have to be right in order that one will trust my better judgement :P

I tend to plan rather thoroughly as well. My problem is that unless I have my plan directly in view, the minute I sit down at my computer, I forget certain aspects and end up overlooking them. :P I do use the print statements more often that debuggers as well, though. Depending on the software, it is easier to understand what's going wrong through it.

I like problem solving, but I have to take breaks, or else I get frustrated and write bad code. So every 2 hours or so, I'll go for a walk, or do random things, but while I'm doing that, I am still working on the problem in my head.

What are your preferred programming languages? I learned with Java, but am really starting to hate it. I'm getting better and better at C, and I like it a lot more. :) Python is also pretty good.

Gahh, I feel so out of place here amongst all you awesome computer people. We really need to establish a MusicTheatrevengers thread as that is my area of expertise :P

As for problem solving in general. I tend to become so focused upon solving a problem that it is hard for me to do anything else until I have fixed it - it also makes it hard for me to admit defeat if my problem is indeed unsolvable, something that would have saved me much grief and time if I could simply end my stubbornness :mad:

No superlatives please :P

I like problem solving, but I have to take breaks, or else I get frustrated and write bad code. So every 2 hours or so, I'll go for a walk, or do random things, but while I'm doing that, I am still working on the problem in my head.

What are your preferred programming languages? I learned with Java, but am really starting to hate it. I'm getting better and better at C, and I like it a lot more. :) Python is also pretty good.

I have to force me to take a break...well my body can be forced but my mind cannot :twisted:

I love C++ and I have really grown fond of Racket. I already have done some java and I don't know about it...well we have to use it for university...

I also have some languages on my list I want to learn^^

C# for instance is pretty high and a language called F# I also want to take a look at, though that's not such a high priority

I sometimes wish I had more time to learn more things :(

I also want to create my own programming language... I don't need it to be good, I just want to say, "yes, I indeed created my own programming language" :P

Lambda Corvus

Java. Unfortunately, the language of choice when teaching new computer science students at many North American universities. Every bit of Java code I write or work with, I swear it will be my last. I find Java to be a terribly distasteful language, and there are other languages out there that do everything that Java does (and more) in a much more sane manner.

Consider object-orientation. Yes, it can be an occasionally useful paradigm, but it is often overused. Java and friends forces object orientation onto the programmer. You want to write a small string processing library? Better use objects! You want to write some simple multithreaded programs? Too bad! They need to be complicated by objects. Java's OO code is so huge, so bloated, and so difficult to trace for any large applications that it seems counter-productive to even consider using it. Unfortunately, many novice programmers only know Java, they will not consider other languages, and they want to write OO code for every task.

For a sane object-oriented programming experience, see Common Lisp. The entire language is fundamentally object-oriented, but you don't see it if you don't have to. You want to write a string processing library? Great! Use the paradigm that you are comfortable with and that produces the best code. You want to write some multithreaded applications? No problem! We have multithreading libraries for that; just plug them in to your code.

That's my rant for the day! Now, back to work.