A(gender)vengers Assemble!

The Pofessional

ChillaKilla
7 hours ago, 999papercranes said:

I wasn't trying to be offensive... I meant "trans" usually means someone was born in the wrong body and is transitioning from the sex they were assigned at birth and the gender roles put upon them from birth to the gender they really are. 

A lot of trans people reject the "wrong body" narrative. Example: a trans boy isn't a "boy in a girls body", he is a boy so it is still a boy's body. He may or may not transition medically to rectify the dysphoria caused by his body, but in the end it is still *his* body. Hope that made sense.

• Like 3
999papercranes
2 hours ago, ChillaKilla said:

A lot of trans people reject the "wrong body" narrative. Example: a trans boy isn't a "boy in a girls body", he is a boy so it is still a boy's body. He may or may not transition medically to rectify the dysphoria caused by his body, but in the end it is still *his* body. Hope that made sense.

I understand. I'm sorry if I sounded insensitive. I'm still learning about gender in general... I hadn't heard of a difference in binary until I was maybe twelve and I asked my mom what unisex bathrooms were for. (My dad interjected, saying they were for "troubled people." :huh:) So yeah. Google's my friend. 

ChillaKilla
8 hours ago, 999papercranes said:

I understand. I'm sorry if I sounded insensitive. I'm still learning about gender in general... I hadn't heard of a difference in binary until I was maybe twelve and I asked my mom what unisex bathrooms were for. (My dad interjected, saying they were for "troubled people." :huh:) So yeah. Google's my friend. 

It's okay! I come off really strong about this a lot so I'm sorry if I've been rude... it's really good you're learning though

• Like 1

Happy Agender Pride Day to all of you fabulous agender people out there!

• Like 9
Enne Kristin

Thank you! Happy Agender Pride Day to you to!

• Like 3
999papercranes

I have to wear a dress tomorrow :( 

You know what would be awesome? Being allowed to wear dress pants and a blazer for an event. 

We may be moving soon and we'll be redoing my bedroom, and my mom won't let me do my room in a Marvel theme. She says, "Maybe a floral bedspread?" "You're not a teenage boy." 

My room right now is purple and has a floral bedspread and I hate it. It's so feminine. 

• Like 2
Dodecahedron314
Just now, 999papercranes said:

I have to wear a dress tomorrow :( 

You know what would be awesome? Being allowed to wear dress pants and a blazer for an event. 

We may be moving soon and we'll be redoing my bedroom, and my mom won't let me do my room in a Marvel theme. She says, "Maybe a floral bedspread?" "You're not a teenage boy." 

My room right now is purple and has a floral bedspread and I hate it. It's so feminine. 

This may be a somewhat counterintuitive and bizarre-sounding suggestion--but maybe you could get around it by getting into crafting? Sewing, crochet, knitting, etc. There are plenty of fairly neutral patterns out there for blankets and pillows and wall hangings and such, and it might be harder for your mom to protest your decor choices if you're making them yourself as part of a useful hobby you've picked up (and that she might even read as appeasingly feminine, despite the fact that needlework is in no way actually gendered (in fact, knitting was originally mostly done by men when it was first invented, if that makes you feel better)). That could also help you with the clothing situation, if you knit some classy sweaters and hats/scarves/etc. for if you have to do formal events in cold weather, or start sewing your own blazers and such. If you'd like some guidance on pattern choices or techniques for getting started, feel free to PM me--I'm more than a little obsessed with this sort of thing, and I'd be happy to help.

• Like 2
999papercranes
8 minutes ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

This may be a somewhat counterintuitive and bizarre-sounding suggestion--but maybe you could get around it by getting into crafting? Sewing, crochet, knitting, etc. There are plenty of fairly neutral patterns out there for blankets and pillows and wall hangings and such, and it might be harder for your mom to protest your decor choices if you're making them yourself as part of a useful hobby you've picked up (and that she might even read as appeasingly feminine, despite the fact that needlework is in no way actually gendered (in fact, knitting was originally mostly done by men when it was first invented, if that makes you feel better)). That could also help you with the clothing situation, if you knit some classy sweaters and hats/scarves/etc. for if you have to do formal events in cold weather, or start sewing your own blazers and such. If you'd like some guidance on pattern choices or techniques for getting started, feel free to PM me--I'm more than a little obsessed with this sort of thing, and I'd be happy to help.

That's a really cool idea! I've never considered that before. I really want to make myself a beanie that will fit my fat head now. Oh wow now I want a classy sweater too. I love sweaters but the problem is they're so tight-fitting if they're a "women's" sweater because god forbid we not portray our curves for all to see. All I want is a nice drapey sweater. (And now I'm ranting about sweaters.) 

The problem would be finding a knitting tutorial for left-handed people... 

Thank you so much! :D I may have to try this now... 

999papercranes

I almost forgot to mention- I'm getting my hair cut on Monday! I'm really nervous because I've never had short hair but it'll be like chin length and more androgynous and I really want that. So badly. I have curly hair so I can get away with it looking like a messy guy's hair. I can't wait!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 999papercranes said:

I almost forgot to mention- I'm getting my hair cut on Monday! I'm really nervous because I've never had short hair but it'll be like chin length and more androgynous and I really want that. So badly. I have curly hair so I can get away with it looking like a messy guy's hair. I can't wait!

Congrats! For the bedspread, do you think a solid colour would work as a compromise? I've never had themeing, but there are other simple patterns that aren't really gendered as well. 

999papercranes
26 minutes ago, BionicPi said:

Congrats! For the bedspread, do you think a solid colour would work as a compromise? I've never had themeing, but there are other simple patterns that aren't really gendered as well. 

Thanks! :) I wanted to do these really cool comic panel sheets with a solid black bedspread over it, but that was when she suggested floral instead. Maybe I can make her happy with stripes or something. Or perhaps a solid blue bedspread. I just can't stand all of the frilliness and the flowers and the hearts. I don't know. I'll have to talk with her more. Maybe I can use the excuse that I'm going for a more mature look. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 999papercranes said:

Maybe I can use the excuse that I'm going for a more mature look. 

Sounds like a pretty good excuse!

• Like 2
Luftschlosseule

Doing stuff yourself is fun! And as a lefthanded person, I learned knitting from my mother who is so into it that it was easy for her to mirror her own movements. So, if you don't find any online tutorials, maybe you find a person willing to teach you in your surroundings, or find a group that meets to craft regularly.

It's just so rewarding to spend time having fun and having a physical object as a result.

My room is pretty white since I collect books and I didn't want to feel cramped in here, but I placed pictureframes with book quotes everywhere and put some postcards into frames, too. I have a few funko pop figures (Groot and Rocket, wasn't able to seperate them, and a Cheshire Cat) - so if you have to resort to a simple colour pattern, it's still possible to make give it a twist with decoration. And decoration can be added now and then, piece by piece, so that your mother won't know what hit her.
Another tip that might work great is decoupage, that's when you take paper and glue it on surfaces to give it a coat of paper without looking cheaply. A friend of mine has done that with comic pages, Mickey Mouse, I believe, which looks great. So, if you can get your hands on comics you're willing to tear apart, and have some furniture you can work on, create a piece that stands out.

I am quite enthusiastic regarding home decor.

Getting a new haircut sounds great! <3

• Like 4
Enne Kristin

Full and allout Deco-Attack :)

999papercranes
On 6/17/2017 at 7:51 AM, Luftschlosseule said:

Doing stuff yourself is fun! And as a lefthanded person, I learned knitting from my mother who is so into it that it was easy for her to mirror her own movements. So, if you don't find any online tutorials, maybe you find a person willing to teach you in your surroundings, or find a group that meets to craft regularly.

It's just so rewarding to spend time having fun and having a physical object as a result.

My room is pretty white since I collect books and I didn't want to feel cramped in here, but I placed pictureframes with book quotes everywhere and put some postcards into frames, too. I have a few funko pop figures (Groot and Rocket, wasn't able to seperate them, and a Cheshire Cat) - so if you have to resort to a simple colour pattern, it's still possible to make give it a twist with decoration. And decoration can be added now and then, piece by piece, so that your mother won't know what hit her.
Another tip that might work great is decoupage, that's when you take paper and glue it on surfaces to give it a coat of paper without looking cheaply. A friend of mine has done that with comic pages, Mickey Mouse, I believe, which looks great. So, if you can get your hands on comics you're willing to tear apart, and have some furniture you can work on, create a piece that stands out.

I am quite enthusiastic regarding home decor.

Getting a new haircut sounds great! <3

Unfortunately I know nobody who is left-handed except my twenty-something cousins, but maybe I could find somebody else to teach me. My mom's been wanting to take classes for a while, so who knows.

I agree with the adding decorations! I tend to do that anyway. I have way too many knickknacks for my own good. (Also, nobody with a heart could separate Groot and Rocket.) That decoupage sounds cool. I'll have to research into it. I could find some old comics at the Half Price Books stores downtown. All of the comics I have are too precious to me to tear apart. Thank you for your ideas! I'm also a fan of interior design.

Tomorrow can't come fast enough! I want my short hair :) 

Today I managed to convince my mom to buy me a shirt from the men's section! It's the first one I've ever gotten. She was skeptical but I told her I liked the "boxy" fit, which wasn't a lie. I also got a really cool baseball cap that will look great with short hair, and isn't girly at all.

• Like 3
Luftschlosseule

I am a little bit annoyed at the image braided pigtails have, or pigtails in general.

It's a gender-neutral hairstyle in many cultures throughout the ages. Also, they are comfortable and you can change their look with a different braiding style.

Regarding crafting, I suppose if you have somebody who has been doing it for decades, they could mirror their own movements and knit like a lefthanded person for a short amount of time, so you can pick it up. Don't know if that is something for you, but some senior residences have programs in which you visit the residents and talk to them. Maybe you could find someone there.

I am curious about how you feel when you've got your new hairstyle!

• Like 2
999papercranes

I agree about the hairstyles. Hairstyles aren't inherently gendered anyway. It's just the way society perceives them, which is dumb. Kind of like certain clothes. 

I wish I knew somebody who was a good knitter! I'll have to ask my mom if she wants to take lessons with me. Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of senior residences around here. 

I'm so excited! I get my haircut in an hour and a half. I'll report here when it's over. :D 

I was thinking neutral name choices for my friends to call me by if I ever came out to them, because my name is very feminine. What does the name Perry make you think of? 

• Like 3
999papercranes

Or maybe Parker. I asked my friends and they thought Perry sounded like a drug dealer's name. Oops. 

2 minutes ago, 999papercranes said:

Or maybe Parker. I asked my friends and they thought Perry sounded like a drug dealer's name. Oops. 

I thought of Perry Cuomo (singer from the 1950s/60s) first thing.

3 minutes ago, Toothlesss said:

I thought of Perry Cuomo (singer from the 1950s/60s) first thing.

oh snap :) me too, although i was thinking of him as a tv detective, which i know realise is perry mason, not perry cuomo

• Like 2
999papercranes

I got it cut!! I love it so much! It's so much lighter now and it looks so much less feminine :D I'm so happy! I can't wait to see what it looks like under a ballcap or a beanie.

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, 999papercranes said:

I got it cut!! I love it so much! It's so much lighter now and it looks so much less feminine :D I'm so happy! I can't wait to see what it looks like under a ballcap or a beanie.

Hooray! I personally love ballcaps and beanies, but rarely can really wear them.

Luftschlosseule

Perry? First read Pterry, short for Terry Pratchett, the author, then had to think about Katie Perry.

But I don't live in a country where English is the main language, so that might not be really important.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
GreenWithEnby

Oh, and I'm back!

I think...?

Was I ever...?

Ehh, it doesn't matter. Regardless, I'm here now!

Sorry for being MIA for a year... :cake:

Also, on the topic of haircuts, I got mine cut this week!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, BalancedBreakfast said:

Oh, and I'm back!

I think...?

Was I ever...?

Ehh, it doesn't matter. Regardless, I'm here now!

Sorry for being MIA for a year... :cake:

Also, on the topic of haircuts, I got mine cut this week!

Welcome (back?)!

I got my hair cut yesterday! It's the shortest it's ever been, and I love it so much.

• Like 2
MagicCatbus

*sneaks in*

Um . . . Hi

I am late to join butt screw it

Um . . . I can't bring vadka, i am to young. I got it, hash browns.

It is obviously muy importante that soy un gato y un Homestuck y no say por que hablo en espoñal ahora. Um I will catch up with the "challenges"(?) Soon.

I will also say my gender identity soon. Butt primaro nesesito ir a me computadora. Fyi i am meowgical. And my puns are good. Cerealy you can't beet them. And I know that that Spanishing was probably terrible. Sorry italian dude if my words and their forms are non sense. (Or people who speak any other languages) somebody pls tell me what all is the criteria to join in the most extra way.