A(gender)vengers Assemble!

The Pofessional

Hi and welcome!

It was pretty similar for me. I didn't even start questioning my gender until the beginning of this summer, and have only been identifying as agender for a bit over a month. I agree, it's definitely both scary and exciting. It's the first time that a gender label has ever felt right to me.

• Like 1

Welcome to all the new people! :D

1 hour ago, chandrakirti said:

I feel like a person....that could be taken ambiguously though, you know what I mean!

I usually say something like this when I'm trying to explain it to people. Something along the lines of 'I don't feel male, I don't feel female, I feel like a person'. And I think that's fine :)

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Wayfarer said:

Welcome to all the new people! :D

I usually say something like this when I'm trying to explain it to people. Something along the lines of 'I don't feel male, I don't feel female, I feel like a person'. And I think that's fine :)

That's exactly how I feel, not male or female, just "me."

• Like 5
Lightning Blue Ray

I've become rather comfortable with the agender label for a few weeks, but I've never really looked at this thread. I suppose this is me saying hello to my fellow agender friends.

• Like 4
On 12/5/2016 at 3:47 PM, AspieAce said:

**Joins** Hiya do you think there are more agender Avenites than other minorities it seems to be a higher proportion I wondered whether this had something to do with femininity and masculinity being sexualised. 

I'm not sure that there actually are. This thread tends to be active, certainly, but I at least haven't noticed that there are significantly many more agender people here than any other. Partly I think it stands out due to the labelling -- most of the agender people have something pretty obvious in their "gender" and/or "pronouns" field, whereas you can't tell so well from reading those for any other group.

If there's any correlation, my best guess would be that it's mostly that people who already know that they're asexual and/or aromantic are more likely to consider the possibility that gender might be another one of those common things they just completely don't get/have as well.

Oh yeah, and while I'm at it, welcome to the new people! :cake:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
KokoroDragon

As I just realized that today marks the one year anniversary of me joining AVEN, and I just finished reading through all 88 pages of this thread (finally!), I figured now would be a good opportunity to summon my courage and actually post something. So hi! I bring offerings of homemade toffee-ish candy.

• Like 5
Mychemicalqpr
On 12/22/2016 at 9:12 PM, Remmirath said:

If there's any correlation, my best guess would be that it's mostly that people who already know that they're asexual and/or aromantic are more likely to consider the possibility that gender might be another one of those common things they just completely don't get/have as well.

Quite possibly true.  After my first round of questioning for my asexuality, then my second round for my panromanticism, then my third round for my kinks, a lot of the shock and denial factor was lost by the fourth round for my agenderism.  Being unusual was old news.  

Hi @KokoroDragon, welcome!   

• Like 1
The Mechanic
On 12/22/2016 at 9:12 PM, Remmirath said:

That's basically what happened with me.  I discovered that I was asexual and aromantic, and lately I've been questioning whether or not I'm agender too. Shaving off my moustache because it felt too bushy has made me question it more because my face looks pretty androgynous now.

Official image of this thread:

kezxhw.jpg

(special meme fresh is practically the only non-transphobic meme page I know)

• Like 6
Luftschlosseule

Can't we just transform gender into cute cuddly animals so we can pet something while relaxing here? We have cake, tea, librarians and books... only animals are missing.

• Like 3

I love how I found this self-study thing for gender diversity at work and at first I was so happy, especially when they talked about intersectionality, but would you think they mentioned trans people even ONCE?! Nah, let's stay binary... Don't call it gender diversity then though <_<

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Luftschlosseule said:

Can't we just transform gender into cute cuddly animals so we can pet something while relaxing here? We have cake, tea, librarians and books... only animals are missing.

ALL GENDERS WILL BE DESTROYED ON SIGHT (hides own gender behind back surreptitiously)

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Luftschlosseule said:

As long as the little gender-animals don't turn vicious, why not?

Actually, what kind of animals are they?:huh:

• Like 1
Luftschlosseule

They are fluffy, colourful, able to learn tricks, want to play but are content with sitting next to you when you're reading.

They are perfect after their transformation.

And even if they'd learn how to talk, they would use their abilities only to talk in limericks and not able to hurt anybody.

• Like 5
Lightning Blue Ray

I came out to my friend as agender by sending her a link to an article about agender people. She was accepting.

• Like 3

Sorry to rant, but I need to get this off my chest. I just went on a 2 day school trip, and I'm not out about my gender or pronouns to anyone on the trip. I mentally flinched every time I was misgendered. Why can't it be easier to coexist with cisgender people? I wish I wasn't so scared to come out. :(

On a brighter note, I totally rocked a suit and tie!:D

• Like 4
WoodwindWhistler
On 1/11/2017 at 6:47 AM, Luftschlosseule said:

They are fluffy, colourful, able to learn tricks, want to play but are content with sitting next to you when you're reading.

They are perfect after their transformation.

And even if they'd learn how to talk, they would use their abilities only to talk in limericks and not able to hurt anybody.

LOL, this sounds a lot like my novel in the works. Specifically this chapter https://www.sofurry.com/view/1102549

WoodwindWhistler

A ruthless evisceration of "masculinity." Woot!

• Like 1

I'm agender..but I switched the gender on my profile to RAWR... so I guess I joined in making gender into cuddly dragon toys? :o:)

• Like 3

YESSS!!!!!! DRAGONS!!!!!!!

I'm not excited about dragons...I swear!

• Like 2
EmotionalAndroid

I am still kind of confused about gender, but the more I think about it, the more I think I might be agender....or something like that. I always present as cis female (more or less) because that is what I have always known, and it is what is "accepted", and it is what has been forced on me due to my biology, but I have never felt super comfortable with being female. Almost everything involved in "womanhood" makes me shudder and is a major burden to me. I always feel that I'd like to be male, as I feel I'd have less anxiety and I'd get more respect, but I don't really feel like I am male either. I don't feel like I am anything in particular.

I don't have people use different pronouns for me and I (generally) appear as female to make the small-minded world happy, but deep down, I don't really associate with femininity at all. So does that make me agender, even if I present as female?

• Like 6
8 hours ago, EmotionalAndroid said:

I am still kind of confused about gender, but the more I think about it, the more I think I might be agender....or something like that. I always present as cis female (more or less) because that is what I have always known, and it is what is "accepted", and it is what has been forced on me due to my biology, but I have never felt super comfortable with being female. Almost everything involved in "womanhood" makes me shudder and is a major burden to me. I always feel that I'd like to be male, as I feel I'd have less anxiety and I'd get more respect, but I don't really feel like I am male either. I don't feel like I am anything in particular.

I don't have people use different pronouns for me and I (generally) appear as female to make the small-minded world happy, but deep down, I don't really associate with femininity at all. So does that make me agender, even if I present as female?

The way you present yourself doesn't have to have anything to do with your gender (though it does for a lot of people). You can definitely be agender and present as female. I know I usually do.

• Like 3
EmotionalAndroid
1 hour ago, Andiamo said:

The way you present yourself doesn't have to have anything to do with your gender (though it does for a lot of people). You can definitely be agender and present as female. I know I usually do.

Thanks for the reply! It's comforting to know that. :)

• Like 2
Mychemicalqpr

@EmotionalAndroid That's pretty much how I feel, like I don't see myself as a boy or a girl, just a person. I also generally present in what most people would see as--I don't want to say feminine but--a demigrlish way. In my case it's not about placating the rest of the world though; it just so happens that a lot of the things I like are deemed girly by society.  Nature didn't decide that certain shapes and colors of fabric had gender. Humans made that up. 

• Like 6