"50 Shades of Gay" article in Daily Sundial (college newspaper)

Sparky9738

I don't know much about the school or the newspaper--it came up in a Google News search for asexuality. The article is about how eventually we should get away from strict labels of gay and straight and embrace all the nuance that comes with people's identities. And it mentions asexuality. It mentions asexuality accurately, in a way that suggests they believe it exists and they know what it means. YAAAAYYYYY!

"Though Kinsey’s work provides a basis to ask these excellent questions, his work was limited, as he did not account for variances in gender identity, such as transgender or intersex people, or for asexual people who still have romantic or emotional preferences. Nor did his studies explore how one’s race, class and sexual/gender identity could make uniquely different experiences for some queer people than others, creating a kind of social hierarchy even within the queer community."

Link to article at the Daily Sundial (California State University Northridge student newspaper)

http://sundial.csun.edu/2013/01/50-shades-of-gay/

I found the whole article very interesting, and encouraging of what is to come. Imagine--if college students know who we are, oh my god!!!

Soon! Soon!

I am excited, and it makes me want to do more visibility stuff.

~Becky

• Like 2

I'm a college student trying to spread the word around. It's so relieving to see we're not alone! I saw a picture of facebook that said "I'm an Ally" and mentioned asexuality among the LGBT orientations!!!!

• Like 1

I gave the article a quick glance, and from what I can see, the information is presented very well. It's always nice to see examples of positive visibility.

I'm a college student trying to spread the word around. It's so relieving to see we're not alone! I saw a picture of facebook that said "I'm an Ally" and mentioned asexuality among the LGBT orientations!!!!

I've been seeing that same picture go around on facebook as well, and it's been making me smile every time! It makes me wonder how many people around me are starting to learn about asexuality, and are accepting of it too. :)
  • Like 1

Nice! :D Positive and accurate visibility is the best kind of visibility.