The Asexual Intellectual's Bedroom

bard of aven

bard of aven

And why shouldn't there be an interior design section in The Library, eh????

So, I've made a few references to this in three different threads over the last few days. I'm mostly done with it and moved in now, and you can tour it at http://public.fotki.com/scapoet/asexual_intellectua/ (and if you see anything odd or inappropriate, please remember that it is a lived-in bedroom under construction.

The basic theory/practice/question behind it is: why waste a whole room building it around a piece of furniture you only ever use when you are sick or unconscious.

All the shelving is Skandia from The Container Store. It cost a boodle (about US$3,000 :oops: ), but it is infinitely configurable, and I plan to have it wherever I live for the rest of my life. The book shelves are 12 inches deep. The storage shelving (which they do not normally sell) is 18 inches deep and comes in four-foot wide sections. I happened to go in at a time when my local Container Store was selling off some of their own display shelving at about 85% off what the equivalent 12 inch units cost. The desk is a construction of my own, a freeform sculpture of dimensional lumber and drywall screws, entitled "Thus I Refute Euclid," which I put together out of old lumber when I moved to DC four years ago.

boa

Cate Perfect

*stares* *insanely jealous*

You know *shrug* it's all right. ... If you're into that sort of thing.

*starestare* *drooldrool*

Cate

slatterly

*is intensely jealous*

That is the kind of room I wish I had.

Just out of curiosity, what are the base dimensions of that room? I couldn't quite get a good sense out of the pictures (although I am notoriously bad at judging distances by eye).

Live R Perfect

Cor blimey Bard! :shock: Talk about wall-to-wall shelving! And the books! Fousands of 'em! :D

damn, boa, that is an enviable set up. whether i envy the shelves or the books more, i don't know. but still, amazing.

bard of aven
...Just out of curiosity, what are the base dimensions of that room?

The room is 14.5 x 10.5 feet. The long wall of books is 13 feet 4 inches. The shelving section hiding the mattress is 5.5 feet from corner to end. The shelving section in front of the window is 7 feet from corner to end. All of the uprights are 6 feet 10 inches. The cieling is just shy of 8 feet.

boa

Carsonspire

::hypnotized by the bookshelves::

When I get a bigger room, that's exactly how it's going to look.

Islander9

I store my fishing and poetry books in my bedroom (as described in the shelving thread.) Walls are for keeping books on IMHO whatever the useagename of the room may be.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Some bedroom you got there!

You have no idea how much I envy you with all those books and especially with still some empty space to put some more. I'm running out of space already, and I haven't got half as many books as you do.

I'm forcing myself to stay away from bookshops and only take them from the library, but it is hard!

Hehehe.... "[his] room was a rectangluar solid filled with stuff".

That's what my bedroom used to look like. Now I have a whole spacious apartment to myself, and I dont fill a third of it!!

*echo* *echo* *echo*

bard, you must be a really happy fellow. A bedroom can say a lot about a personality. All that brightness must be in you, too.

Plus, you have trees around. You're so lucky.