What is Your Opinion of AsexualNews.com?

Oxalis

What is your opinion of AsexualNews.com?  

1. 1. Which choice(s) best describe your opinion of AsexualNews.com?

• Indifferent; I think it is fine the way it is.
    • I don't read it, I don't care.
    • I didn't know it existed until now.
    • The news on AsexualNews.com is irrelevant to me.
    • The news is great, the web design isn't.
    • The web design is great, the news isn't.
    • I am not interested in asexuality news.
    • I think asexuality news needs more visibility.
    • I think AsexualNews.com needs more visibility.
    • I have a love/hate relationship with AsexualNews.com.
    • I have feedback for AsexualNews.com (please elaborate below).

This poll is closed to new votes

It seems that among the online asexuality community, most websites are personal, such as blogs or Tumblrs, etc. Our group is small in the world of minorities. Our discussions are still based on our feelings and experiences, as well as establishing recognition as a real sexual orientation.

Do we need more asexuality news in order to gain (more) visibility? And, if so, what kind of news? Will this help us to gain (more) recognition within the LGBT group? If so, from what source can we get our asexuality news? Is AsexualNews.com a sufficient resource for you, whether you consider yourself a member of the asexuality community? Do you have a more preferable source for your asexuality news? And, finally, do you think there is a lack of a central location for asexuality news, or is our group just not there yet?

Please share your thoughts! I'm interested in sparking some worldly conversation!

:cake:

Touchofinsight

I am interested in it just purely for the idea, what purpose does it fill? Is it purely news about asexuality awareness? What role does "asexual news" fulfill? I guess I need to go read some stories and do some research.

• 3 weeks later...

That's because we don't have one. Thanks for the suggestion though, that gives us (me and rest prop (I'm too lazy to type their full user name) something to talk about).

TomRiddleMeThis

I looked at the website after I took this, and I have to say, I really like it.

The articles are pretty interesting

• 1 month later...
sinisterporpoise

I hope the moderators will forgive me for necroposting, but as the owner of Asexualnews.com, I might have something to say about this topic. First, the site is over two years old. It has gone through changes, but one person has written most of the articles during that time. That person *could* use some help and some relief. (It's also run by Libertarians, and the political views of the owner, while right, might not be in line with the asexual community.)

Now, there's one fundamental flaw with the thinking that the site is to spread asexual visibility and awareness. No one associated with the site minds these things, but visibility is AVEN's goal, and they do a much better job than our site could. The main goal for the site was to spread news relevant to the asexual community, and to offer views and opinions. Part of the goal was to serve as a watchdog for asexuals. There are also reasons why Asexual News is independent of AVEN and other asexual groups. There are times when the writers MAY have to report on these topics. Remaining independent increases objectivity.

Now, there are some things that could be changed.

Site Design. Asexual News celebrated its second anniversary on Lara's 36th birthday. There have been slight design changes and more are in the works. (The menus need to be changed to make the site easier to navigate.) The current template is the default Joomla design with minor modifications. I would love to have a professional redesign the site, but like most Ace organizations, Asexual News operates on a shoestring budget. The downtimes recently have come from poor ad revenue and Lara's inconsistent payment schedule.

Inconsistent editing. This is my fault. Asexual News recently brought on a professional editor who volunteered to work for the site. Club_of_Diamonds performs administrative tasks and removes many of the typos made by the authors. Lack of information. I think that's in part because most people don't know about us, but it's hard to find asexual news on a limited budget. We *do* have a tipline. You can also PM me via AVEN or use the ace-reporter Tumblr.

Domain name. I think this is related tot he poor ad revenues. The initial idea behind the ads was to keep the site free to the readers. I didn't think people would donate to such a site, and I'm not sure they will. (If anyone wants to, there is a donate button on the site.) I'm not going to change this now because the SEO is done.

Lara is BUSY! This is a more recent development. Lara has started covering local issues in Terre Haute. Like many other blog or journalist positions, it is very much a situation where low pay and weird hours are part of the deal.

Huh? A year ago is recent?

(Or has there been another volunteer editor in recent weeks/months)?

sinisterporpoise

There was someone who volunteered at the end of December. She has worked editing several publications.

• 9 months later...
This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived