The Sun (UK Tabloid) article is here

Lisa Smith

I'm not sure it's going to attract the right type. I can see a wave of under bridge lurkers heading our way like a scene from lord of the rings.

• Like 1

Thank you ravenguest for getting AVEN some visibility! Even though the article has been portrayed as being 'wrong', maybe we should lean more in the direction of what Melorian said, (sic) about 'The nitpicking details can be sorted out later...' after people know that asexuality does exist.

It took us 'forever', and is still ongoing in some areas of AVEN, to determine the semantics in play at various times, labels, etal. For now, the mere answer to the question of 'Asexuality, what's that(?)', is a giant-step forward in a wide-circulation piece.

I believe that ravenguest's effort should be applauded. :cake: :)

• Like 6
sinisterporpoise

The article itself has a glaring flaw, and I even suggested Diana Appleyard correct it when she e-mailed me asking for my help. Anyone notice the absence of non-female asexuals in this article? Also, anyone notice that she's calling it a movement among young people?

Okay article, good that they got quotes from multiple people, not sure how well it works to quote people directly without providing more of an explanatory narrative. I'm sort of middling on the remarks in the article. With the exception of this one:

Most asexuals do not masturbate or explore their own sexuality at all.

Uh, what? That's...we don't...explore...um...

The comments were a mix, few surprises there. I did enjoy the guy who claimed that he could turn women asexual. I'm so used to hearing it the other way 'round; that was refreshing.

The suppliment it was featured in is aimed at women, so I think that's why they don't have any men in it. I agree we'll get idiots and trolls heading our way, but I also think there might be a few people who read and think 'Thank God I'm not broken/damaged/alone' as I thought before I knew what asexuality was x

runester got it right. Applaud the person. Lets face it, not a single UK tabloid paper can get their facts right, especially when they are investigating a concept that they do not understand. Look back at Jays original concepts and videos, they are probably now considered wrong but the intention was right and we exist in AVEN because of his bravery of following through.

What is important is that we got major UK coverage, nobody should decide orientation on the back of a Sun article but we are already getting people from the UK that managed to identify with the article feeding through, here they have the ability to learn what we are all about.

For me, I have four new heroes who put themselves out there and if their bravery enriches and gives hope to just one life of a person sitting in a room crying about the fact that they are not normal then they can feel proud and the article has done its job.

• Like 3
Notte stellata

Okay article, good that they got quotes from multiple people, not sure how well it works to quote people directly without providing more of an explanatory narrative.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the direct quoting either. Doesn't look very well-organized. Also there are a lot of common elements in the four women's stories, like relationships failing because of the sex issue, wanting non-sexual romance, using asexual dating sites, etc. And they all seem to be heteroromantic and single. It would be more interesting if there's more diversity, like aro aces, homo/bi/panromantic aces, aces in relationships, aces who don't mind having sex...But I understand it's not easy to find interviewees. :)

I posted a more lengthy answer in the thread in announcements, but long story short, that article was so wrong on so many levels :angry:

The Sun had an article that was factually misleading? Well I never.....

....nope, sorry, can't manage a surprised look.

Guest Invisible Pumpkin

Nothing can be perfect, but we should try to take advantage of the good opportunities/things; to us all opportunities are well, good and you girls are gorgeous.

I wrote others stuff but the bug ate it :(, maybe I try again later.

3 threads posted in 3 different forums have been moved and merged here:

1. "GO BUY THE SUN! (Newspaper)" by ravenguest in Vis/Ed
  2. "Go buy The Sun Newspaper today!" by ravenguest in Announcements
  3. "The Sun (UK Tabloid Article) is here" by Face in World Watch

ithaca, Admin

All things being said, it was nice to see such a big article in a major newspaper and my thanks goes out to ravenguest. That can't have been easy :)

I'm sure the less factual remarks will be ironed out along the way, hey Homosexuality was illegal in the 60's, but it is early days and the term is just getting into the mainstream. I saw it as more a positive piece of Visibilty.

In regards to the guy who commented about spending 5-10 minutes with him and wimin will feel differently. Well, 10/15 years spent with him and I dare say the average person will see that the average Sun reader is an illiterate, ignorant moron.

• Like 1
Anyone notice the absence of non-female asexuals in this article?

That's pretty standard for media coverage. Of all the calls for interviews I've seen since michaeld set up the UK Google Group, I think about three haven't asked specifically for women. Print media markets sex advice to men, not relationship advice ... though I am beginning to become concerned that if things continue as they do, asexuality will be typecast as a thing for (young) women

I've had a read through.

Typical Sun - get four nice looking girls and just shove the article out the way. That's nothing against them, that's just the way journalism works, and I get kind of annoyed that since I'm a 6 foot male geek approaching 40, that I get pushed out of the way for things I can't really control. Put a picture, hook the reader in with it, get them to buy the paper, oh we'll put the article in as an overthought. Maybe all the female Sun readers think "hmm, interesting concept" and the male Sun readers think ... well, I think the comments below the article kind of endorse that.

The BBC article on AVEN about a year ago was a bit more balanced in that respect, in that it talked about an ace couple in a relationship.

Where's their evidence that "Most asexuals do not masturbate", I wonder? We've got a thread here that would suggest otherwise.

Still, the quote from Dr Pam Spurr was good. There is have too much exposure to sex in media and advertising for me.

Thanks to the 4 girls who participated in the interview!

Still, I think the journalist made a poor work with your participation. I share GirlDreamer's same objections, plus the title itself made me cringe:

"We’re not gay, weren’t abused and we do like men ...we just don’t want sex": so while I understand that these likely refers to the 4 girls specifically, it is very misleading and can be confusing for those asexual girls who ARE gay (as homoromantic), or to all those aces who were abused.

On of the girls also said: "“It was great to realise that other people – who are attractive – feel the same way as I do." and I think this can be confusing, like how about those people who generally don't consider themselves attractive, or are not considered attractive? It sounds like their voice is less valid. I know it was probably not meant that way and more the journalist extrapolating sentences; I think the whole article just putting random sentences one after the other is bad-built.

I have seen much MUCH worse than this, especially in my country -_- I am glad this article is bringing more awareness and visibility, and that lots of people are finding AVEN and answers. I do hope the journalist will be interested in the feedback from the community.

• Like 2

Where's their evidence that "Most asexuals do not masturbate", I wonder? We've got a thread here that would suggest otherwise.

I think they went on what us girls said as none of us did (the girls I met anyway, the Gemma lass wasn't there.) plus they really struggled to get people to do it so I guess it was a case of taking what they could get as far as people applying was concerned. How many people would honestly be happy about doing an article like that, not least if you haven't told your family etc. I am 'lucky' (lol) in the sense that I don't have any friends, currently off work and my direct family couldn't give a flying...banana about what I am, so it wasn't exactly a difficult thing for me to do as I don't have many people's opinions to worry about. Plus I'd already done one article about it so it wasn't half so scary the second time. They only asked us specific questions so that would obviously sway the direction and is probably why all four people sound the same. Sofia was the most wonderful person I've ever had the pleasure of meeting and she saw the request for people on an agency site (nowstar or something) so I'm not entirely sure that everyone involved was actually an asexual or just wanted to get paid...

sinisterporpoise

@AceofClubs --

Do you really want asexuality to be seen as a female-only thing? That's what the current media coverage is doing. If the reporter in this case solicits your help, she could, at least take it.

@Yeshowa --

While I cannot think of relationship advice that is marketed to men, I can certainly come up of prominent publications that market sex advice to women, so that's not a one-way street.

@Yeshowa --

While I cannot think of relationship advice that is marketed to men, I can certainly come up of prominent publications that market sex advice to women, so that's not a one-way street.

Yup, that's what I meant (My post was a bit ambiguous, I see that)

"“It was great to realise that other people – who are attractive – feel the same way as I do."

I'd missed that. Is it a misquote? It seems like an odd thing for an asexual to say ...

I liked the article.

Re: the photoshoot -- did they tell people what to wear? The girls all look like they are dressed up to go to a party.

Janus the Fox
It is a good article, not great but other than what's been said already, I feel that Asexuality has been underrepresented. It basically showed only younger single females. The older, males, people in asexual romantic relationships and the LGBT side of things has been overlooked. This I feel gives the impression that Asexuality is a female only phenomena.

Part of the problem is that the reporters have their target age/gender group so we either have to go with it or refuse to take part. If we want to advance then I suppose we have to go with their agenda. I've given a couple of interviews so the older pov is considered by some and I know Mark has given quite a few interviews.

I liked the article.

Re: the photoshoot -- did they tell people what to wear? The girls all look like they are dressed up to go to a party.

I did too, and I thought the same thing...those shoes!!! :)

You can often tell how big a news story is by seeing how many other news sources pick it up. For example, I knew the release of Understanding Asexuality was a big deal because I saw like ten different articles about it.

The Sun's article got responses on The Frisky and Barstool Sports. The Barstool Sports article is basically the worst article on asexuality I have ever seen.

Edited by ithaca
fixed the Barstool Sports link

They dressed us and did hair make up etc which is a good thing as I rocked up in torn jeans lol. x

• Like 1
You can often tell how big a news story is by seeing how many other news sources pick it up. For example, I knew the release of Understanding Asexuality was a big deal because I saw like ten different articles about it.

The Sun's article got responses on The Frisky and Barstool Sports. The Barstool Sports article is basically the worst article on asexuality I have ever seen.

When I first read the Barstool Sports article, I was infuriated. Then I reread it in Barney Stinson's voice from How I Met Your Mother and it suddenly became hilarious.

Edited by ithaca
Fixed the Barstool Sports link

I thought it was a pretty good article... It's no big surprise if articles on asexuals are focusing on young, attractive women; that is what most news chooses to focus on. :blush:

It's a shame people have to be such shitheads. The comments section on Barstool article is positively vile. A Blastoise, really? WTF?

found the barstool article...wow. Feel pretty horrific right now. Is there any way we can force them to take it down? Here are a few delightful comments they've posted about me;

'D. Thank the Good Lord you’re not trying to f*ck me'

'I can't stop staring at D. She looks like a 2 day old bowl of Ramen noodles. Chicken flavored'

'D is clearly a succubus' -(I'm guessing they have no idea of the meaning of that word!)

'D looks like she is a human Q-tip and gets sunburned on the walk out to her car in the morning'

'a dead, anorexic, meth-addicted prostitute.'

'ill tell you what. id love to kick the sh*t out of D'

'D was plucked straight out of Shallow Hal.'

'I could have guessed that Marilyn Manson was asexual.'

'D is clearly an alien...'

I didn't realise that other people could use the page in this way. Honestly, right now, I feel like I don't want to ever leave the house again. I am seriously regretting it now. How can people be so heartless?

Raven, it's not really about you. It'd be the same for anyone else there. I know that's not much consolation ... have some :cake: for here, we accept you :)

• Like 1