Aces, sitcom web-series in need of a producer (advice welcome)

astrobean

Hey all,

I've written a series of screenplays that I would love to see turned into a web-series. The story is called "Aces." It's kind of like "Friends," except all the characters are asexual. We're told from childhood that one day, we will fall in love, but what happens when that never happens? In the series, I wanted to explore and challenge traditional definitions of success and life fulfillment, and show the value of strong friendships, and the importance of staying true to who you are.

In the pilot episode, Tom Friedman is turning thirty, and his mother is determined to find him a wife. Tom is starting to feel like the Prince in Cinderella as every eligible woman in the tri-county area is paraded before him. Tom does his best to convince his mother that he is happy as he is, and he finally comes out to her as asexual.

I'm planning to produce this in L.A., and I'm already talking to some of my contacts there. The thing is, while I've been involved in productions before, I've never actually produced anything, and I have no idea where to start. The notion is to produce the pilot (or maybe just a trailer) on a shoe-string budget (i.e., beg, borrow, and steal what we can), and then show that around to try and get funding for the rest.

My biggest concerns are lighting, sound, and image quality, and how much we can film initially will depend greatly on the cost of those things. When I see web videos with bad sound, I stop watching. I know it's important, and I want to be practically minded going into the project, and not squander what little money I have.

As far as the series, I have six episodes in "Season 1" and a ton of ideas for the future. Each episode is about 10-12 pages, so they're short. They've got heart, drama, and a comedic edge. Right now I'm filtering and editing (and seeking feedback), because I have too many ideas/scene fragments and not enough time to practically make an infinite number of episodes. I'd die of happiness even if the pilot is the only thing that gets made, but my goal is to have an ongoing series with six-ish episodes per season. (Although, let's face it, the big dream is that some network will pick it up and I'll have my own TV series!)

So that's the pitch. I put this here because I educate through story-telling, and I thought it might be nice to recognize my life story in something other than a documentary. I'm interested to know if such a web-series would find an audience here. Also, if you are interested in helping me produce this, filming, sound, lighting, acting, location scouting, costuming, make-up, screenwriting, etc, I'd love to hear from you.

Hi astrobean! This is a very pointless post to say that I am going to message you later when I have more time. Haha. But I have experience with web series, am another writer, and this sounds neat!

This sounds very interesting I love to write myself and can understand what your going though with the whole "I want this to be public so much I could die of happiness if it ever was!". And if it does get to be a web series I'm sure you'd find a big audience in AVEN as well.

Just a few questions, can you give us a brief summary of each of the main characters? And are they all aromantic? Because your description makes it seem like none of them ever go through romantic relationships (the first paragraph where it says never happens). But I think romantic aces could be good for a show, showing how difficult it can be to try and maintain a relationship with a partner you truly love but cannot experience sexual attraction towards them. There could be repulsed, or unknowing characters, oohh the possibilities are endless!

Just a few questions, can you give us a brief summary of each of the main characters? And are they all aromantic? Because your description makes it seem like none of them ever go through romantic relationships (the first paragraph where it says never happens). But I think romantic aces could be good for a show, showing how difficult it can be to try and maintain a relationship with a partner you truly love but cannot experience sexual attraction towards them. There could be repulsed, or unknowing characters, oohh the possibilities are endless!

I totally agree. I do have a lot of aromantics and agnostics(?). I have one romantic so far, but I didn't want the series to center on romantic relationships. I have seven in the primary cast. I have whole spreadsheets about these guys, but to summarize their sexualities:

1. Tom - Ace, cuddler, out only to his mother, not opposed to romance, but not compelled to look

2. Glory - Ace, Tom's cuddle-buddy, she and Tom sometimes masquerade as a couple

3. Elle - Aromantic ace, dislikes physical contact, out to her family

4. Gavin - Aromantic ace, out to close friends, met Elle in Suicide Survivors support group

5. Rosemary - sex-repulsed, divorced, out to the world

6. Kris - demisexual, was once engaged, out to friends, estranged from family

7. Jeannie - Romantic ace, has brief crush on Elle, then she falls in love with Rebecca (a sexual) and they're trying to make things work

This sounds quite simply amazing! Even though I don't live in America, I'm willing to help with anything I can, just ask! I've written screen-plays before and I am very creative. I don't know what I would help with, but if there's anything you could need my help for, just ask! Maybe start a Kickstarter to get the funding you need if you can find no one to fund it for you?

I totally agree. I do have a lot of aromantics and agnostics(?). I have one romantic so far, but I didn't want the series to center on romantic relationships. I have seven in the primary cast. I have whole spreadsheets about these guys, but to summarize their sexualities:

1. Tom - Ace, cuddler, out only to his mother, not opposed to romance, but not compelled to look

2. Glory - Ace, Tom's cuddle-buddy, she and Tom sometimes masquerade as a couple

3. Elle - Aromantic ace, dislikes physical contact, out to her family

4. Gavin - Aromantic ace, out to close friends, met Elle in Suicide Survivors support group

5. Rosemary - sex-repulsed, divorced, out to the world

6. Kris - demisexual, was once engaged, out to friends, estranged from family

7. Jeannie - Romantic ace, has brief crush on Elle, then she falls in love with Rebecca (a sexual) and they're trying to make things work

So I'm guessing you mean you have one for sure romantic and the rest that you didn't clearly state are aromantic are sorta "in the middle"?

But hey! you've already got a character that people can relate to! I feel like Tom, I would consider myself as an asexual with a "low romantic drive". I'm not inclined to go out and seek relationships, I feel like I'll know the girl when I see her, or realize I like her. as a matter of fact the only person to invoke any romantic drive from me has been recently a girl who I've known for over a year and is a very good friend.

I get what you mean when you say you don't want it to be centered on romance, I'm taking it as you just want it to be about the difficulties of being an ace in general. But I'm hoping you don't mean there wont be any commonly, since its actually a very big problem in most aces who are trying a mixed relationship.But if you say its like friend's then its defeintly not a main part but could be something sorta in the background that one character might be going through while the rest are just going about their lives.

I'm with stompy stomp, I'm a very creative person as you can probably tell (since I've [probably rudely] tried to predict half your series) I've never written a screenplay before though. And I'd love to see this series! In fact now I feel like going to go write a story about asexuals.

Omg I wish I'd come up with this idea I would have loved to write the scripts! Oh why do I have to be in England and why must I be so young! TT-TT I love writing and wanna write scripts as well as my own books.

Im currently writing a book about bullying and autism which is kinda sort of a story of my life. Its about 80-90% true story and 20-10% fiction but all of its written with as much brutal honesty on the subject of bullying and autism as possible.

Maybe I'll start a book/book series about asexuality too? I'll be incorporating asexuality into my bullying/autism book anyway because the main character in the book is basically me but writing a book focused solely on asexuality sounds fun too.

You could add an aromantic sexual while you're at it. Might do good to increase visibilty for this group of people coz some of them are sick and tired of being labelled as sly, manuipulative, cheating, nymphomaniac bastards by the media and other public institutions. You could have a run of the mill. non-nympho sexual who doesn't lie or manipulate his partners into sex by telling them that he loves them and whants to be with them when he doesn't. It will also help stop the spread of the idea that sex and roamnce are always intertwined and whoever wants one must want both. Thanks :cake: :)

I don't know anything about film production but I would like to watch this! Maybe you can pair up one of the characters with a sexual and show their issues and such? Just a suggestion :P

I find it interesting that I started writing this series because I wanted to tell stories that didn't center around sex and romance drama, and the number one request is to address sexual and romantic relationships. :(

at the end of the day its your project, you decide man :D

This sounds like a great idea! So much on TV is based around sex and relationships, and even though I identify as a romantic ace, sometimes the best shows don't really focus on that (Corner Gas, for instance). Unfortunately, I have no experience in this area, but good luck :)

This sounds like a great idea an I wish you luck with it :) I also like how you have a range of characters all along the sexuality-asexuality spectrum.

I find it interesting that I started writing this series because I wanted to tell stories that didn't center around sex and romance drama, and the number one request is to address sexual and romantic relationships. :(

I think it's probably because that's what people are so used to seeing in the media that it's almost sort of a given. You can still have a sexual/romantic relationship in the story without it being the main focus. It might interesting to have friendships, sexual, and romantic relationships to compare and contrast them.

I get the feeling you want to emphasize the friendships between the characters and I think that's great. Hopefully you break help break down the silly misconception that girls and guys can't be friends without romance or sex getting in the way.

You could add an aromantic sexual while you're at it. Might do good to increase visibilty for this group of people coz some of them are sick and tired of being labelled as sly, manuipulative, cheating, nymphomaniac bastards by the media and other public institutions. You could have a run of the mill. non-nympho sexual who doesn't lie or manipulate his partners into sex by telling them that he loves them and whants to be with them when he doesn't. It will also help stop the spread of the idea that sex and roamnce are always intertwined and whoever wants one must want both. Thanks :cake: :)

That's definitely something to keep in mind for future episodes. (Step 1: get project off ground.) Just the other day, I was making a little diagram of sexual orientation vs. romantic orientation, and I realized that aromantic sexuals must exist, but I've never met one or talked to one (that I know of). Are you one? Do you know others? How does that affect friendships? Is it frustrating? As an aro, I used to get frustrated when someone would fall in love with me, and I wanted to feel something back, but I didn't. I can't imagine compounding that frustration with sexual desire.

That's definitely something to keep in mind for future episodes. (Step 1: get project off ground.) Just the other day, I was making a little diagram of sexual orientation vs. romantic orientation, and I realized that aromantic sexuals must exist, but I've never met one or talked to one (that I know of). Are you one? Do you know others? How does that affect friendships? Is it frustrating? As an aro, I used to get frustrated when someone would fall in love with me, and I wanted to feel something back, but I didn't. I can't imagine compounding that frustration with sexual desire.

I'm aro ace personally, but I do know that there are some aro sexuals that go on AVEN. I also frequent AroPlane (an aromantic forum), and some of the discussions on there might help answer some of your questions. There are definitely pretty unfortunate assumptions made about aro sexuals though, especially concerning those who who seek casual sex. Having mixed orientations does tend to complicate things a bit, especially concerning public perception since the idea of romantic identity is so abstract and unknown, and aro sexuals are no exception to that.

Also, I hope your series pans out! I'm curious about the interactions between the different characters and how they will react to the different sitcom scenarios, so I'll definitely watch it :)

Random Happenstance

I don't think I can add anything, but I would definitely watch this, it'd be so good to have a sitcom that isn't based entirely around romantic/sexual relationships. It'd also be especially nice to have characters I can relate to in that way.

• 7 months later...
TheAspieBaker

Wonderful idea! While I can't HELP you produce per se, I can help you with pointers if you mentioned that you're a tad lost on the subject. I know a friend of mine that's a music producer. I can reach him and ask him for some tips if you want :)

Technically this has already finished filming right? (At least, according to your facebook page that I was lurking on for a bit.) I'm an amateur, but I have fairly extensive experience with Sony Vegas/After Effects...if you ever need any free editing, feel free to PM me. :D

• 2 months later...

Archived