asexual, sort of?

This will likely end up being longer than it needs to be, but my general question is, "Is it possible to be sort-of asexual?" Or would I more likely be a "sexual" with some sort of sexual dysfunction ... read on....

Asexuality is something that I had heard prior to today, and by dissecting the word itself had a vague idea of what it meant - but only just now have I read the definition and some information about it...

First of all, for as long as I can remember, I have always had some sort of desire to have a partner. And, as a female, that "attraction" has mostly been towards a heterosexual relationship with a male. I had thought that I always had an interest in sex; however, with at most of the men I have been with, sex has been something that I have basically just done to satisfy them. But, there is the odd time (perhaps 5% of the time) where I actually feel sexual desire prior to. or at least during, intercourse. From the age of about 17-18 that desire was most frequent; but since, and I am now in my 20s, it is virtually non-existent. Now, I am in a long-term relationship and I pretty much always wait for my partner to initiate, though sometimes I will even though I do not want to; trying to make him feel wanted. Then, when we are having sex, I spend the whole time either trying (unsuccessfully) really hard to enjoy it, or just thinking about something else and hoping for it to be over as soon as possible.

When the period of strong sexual desire ended when I was almost 19, I blamed it on birth control pills thinking that they were messing with my hormones. But now years after having stopped taking them, my sexual desire is still extremely limited.; though not completely non-existent as it seems to be with most of the people whose posts I've read on here...

Another thing (that may or may not be relevant) that people have pointed out about me, and I guess I have noticed myself is that talking about sex or anything related makes me really uncomfortable. In fact, it would be literally impossible for me to say what I have said in this post to ANYONE in "real life" ....

Also, another thing I think I should mention is that I really do not think that it has anything to do with a "bad experience" or anything like that .... it's possible, of course, but I really don't think so.

Anyways, thanks for reading ... I'm Very interested in hearing people's opinions...Thanks.

hi

i think that there are different level of asexuality. i mean i think its like ADD. everyone can be distracted under the right circumstances, but then some people have a genetic susceptibility. things like that. and by the way i feel the same way you do.

Hi nad Weclome Lavender33.

Ther are many levels of asexualoty nad it is up to you if you wnat to use that term.

The only defintion here is someone who does not experince sexaul attraction, beyond that there are all kinds of different experiences.

Read around a little in some of the threads and I'm sure you will see there are people who can relate.

Even if you decide you are not asexual you can find a place here it's a supportive community and anyone is welcome.

Explore AVEN and see what that brings.