Signs of Asexuality (We're out there!)

biggreenmonkey

I would also never sit on my mother's lap except when we read books. But I did sit on my fvourite auntie's lap...

This auntie was so worried that I hadn't got a doll (I never wanted one) that she bought me one but it got stuck in the cupboard. My "family" being an only child was my stuffed toys and my teddy bear. I'm 48 and I still have them all and when I get them out of the attic I kiss and hug them all and then it makes me cry - I don't know why. I was always thought to be a strange little girl. At six I said I would never marry or have children - I haven't. At 15 I had no idea why I was being given a school lesson in contraception because I knew I would never need it (I haven't). I tried so hard to be able to label myself, but I couldn't because no sexual label has ever fitted. I did feel like a freak but gradually I grew to accept and like myself. Only later did "asexual" seem to fit the bill. I still think it is great that there are others like me!!

I much preferred toy animals to dolls - but I insisted on dressing my animals in dolls' clothes - my poor grandmother used to take down measurements for them over the phone so she could sew or knit for them. I gave my favourite bear a tonsure and turned him into a monk - while his sidekick, a smaller bear, would change gender weeky - sometimes called Janet, sometimes Jimmy.

After I'd amassed a number of dolls I treated them all to crewcuts and played orphans or refugees with them - never families.