Book

MobiusX

Does anyone know of any asexual book? I've tried to look for one at the library, but of course, they didn't have any since the majority of the people in this world are sexual beings.

borrowedTime

What type of book are you looking for?

A non-fiction book - i.e. studies of asexuality, research, etc?

Or fiction - eg. novels featuring asexual characters, relationships or storylines?

Or something else?

I want to read the history of asexuals and the present time. I want to know the research that has been done on asexuals and people's reactions to asexualism. Non-fiction.........

The Aven archive is probably the best "history of asexuals" at the moment. If you can make some sense out of 170,000 posts, perhaps you should write the book.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine just gave me a book that she said, when she read it, had a character who was asexual (or at least reminded her of me in my asexuality). I haven't had a chance to read the book yet (got it a few days ago, and I've been on the road, with the book packed heaven knows where in the car ^^;;).

Book is called "The Bone People," but I can't remember the author's name.

I'll let you know more about it after I've read it, if you like.

Really? That's good. My friend told me it was, and it looked interesting. ^___^

I can't wait to dig it out of the car when we get to Omaha tomorrow. ^__^

Thats not the one that ends "karen wouldn't have minded cleaning up the blob on the floor so much if it hadn't looked up at her and said 'Hi honey. How was your day?'" is it?

Hey Spock - what was *that* book? Sounds entertaining...

Heh... actually, it's a short story my mom is always raving about that she cant find a copy of that she thinks is called "The Bone Doctor" which is about a doctor who fixes problems with bones my ripping out your skeleton. I've never actually read it... but it sounds pretty cool.

Cate Perfect
A friend of mine just gave me a book that she said, when she read it, had a character who was asexual (or at least reminded her of me in my asexuality). I haven't had a chance to read the book yet (got it a few days ago, and I've been on the road, with the book packed heaven knows where in the car ^^;;).

Book is called "The Bone People," but I can't remember the author's name.

I'll let you know more about it after I've read it, if you like.

The author is Keri Hulme and it's excellent. *thumbs up* Won the Booker, even.

Cate

Cate Perfect

Yup, twenty years ago. They've just released a twentieth anniversary edition to coincide with the honour.

Cate

Nothing out there yet - there are at least 2 I know of forthcoming. Best date- next year-

Any idea what their titles are, or who the authors may be? I would definitely be interested in supporting them as soon as they come out. I've often thought of starting the research/interviewing process of doing one myself, but, if something is coming out, I'd like to see that first.

Cate Perfect

One of those 'in production' books barely have a proposal written let alone anything else. The authors of the book will make a public announcement when they have a better idea of how it's going to go--or if it's even been picked up by the publisher.

Islander said there were two books in the works and I only know about one of them so perhaps the other one will be out sooner?

Cate

Islander9

Miss Geri sent us a fairly lengthy set of questions late last year which she said she'd sent to 'many' other publically-declared a-people, and which was to be the basis of a book she was writing...

Cate Perfect

Ah. That's the other one, then. Yikes.

Cate

Well, I did a search on this site for any recent notices by Miss Geri. No luck, though I may have just missed it (selective blindness is a special skill of mine). At any rate, thank you for the replies...I will keep my eyes open and if I hear of or run across anything, I will let you guys know.

Onceburned

I haven't read it, but there is:

Boston Marriages: Romantic but Asexual Relationships Among Contemporary Lesbians by Esther D. Rothblum, Kathleen A. Brehony (Editor)

Apparently "Boston marriage" is a term referring to two women in a nonsexual but nonetheless deeply committed relationship. The book was published in 1993 by University of Massachusetts Press.

Or....

A History of Celibacy: From Athena to Elizabeth I, Leonardo DA Vinci, Florence Nightingale, Gandhi, and Cher by E. Abbott.

This book was published by Simon & Schuster in 2000.