Chick-fil-A and its Support of "Traditional Marriage" (A.K.A. - Against Gay Marriage)

Nico-Nico Friendo

Nico-Nico Friendo

Today my mom and I got food at Chick-fil-A and I said, "There sure are a lot of people here." My mom said, "They must be showing their support for marriage." I said, "What?!" And she told me about how the owner of the restaurant supports "traditional marriage" (that is, the right-wing Christian definition of marriage). My mom is a Conservative Christian like my dad (and I'm an atheist).

I was pissed off about this and said, "Yay for bigotry," sarcastically and also, "Gay people won't ruin straight marriages with 'magical gay waves.' Straight people are perfectly capable of ruining their own marriages." I don't know if she heard me, but she bought the food so I ate it. I don't know if I should eat there again, though. I thought, "I don't want to oppress gay people, I just want a damn chicken sandwich! I wish they would serve it without a side of religion and politics. Grrr!"

What would you do? If you ate at a restaurant and found out about something like this, would you still eat there or would you stop in protest?

Here's some news on the controversy:

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-07-27/us/us_chick-fil-a-controversy_1_marriage-rights-facebook-page-mike-huckabee?iref=obinsite

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/03/chick-fil-a-controversy-shines-light-on-companys-charitable-giving/?iref=obnetwork

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/27/how-the-chick-fil-a-same-sex-marriage-controversy-has-evolved/?iref=obnetwork

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-08-02/us/us_us-chick-fil-a-debate_1_gay-rights-activists-restaurant-chain-food-chain

Most people in the comments seem to be praising Chick-fil-A for "standing up for their beliefs."

WIKIPEDIA page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Chick-fil-A_same-sex_marriage_controversy

reverse_thrust

This all comes down to accountability, and I think this whole affair is being handled very poorly. Graffiti, heckling employees, and similar practices that have arisen from this affair are against the spirit of free speech.

If a company is conducting behavior you do not approve of (such as giving to anti-gay groups), it is your obligation to withdraw your business until the problem is rectified. Everything in business comes down to money, and if they don't see a drop in their business, there's no incentive to change. Going after them as strongly as some people are trying to do, however, is just encouraging Chick-fil-A's supporters to come out in force.

There are plenty of other companies and individuals out there to draw your ire. Let's not turn Chick-fil-A into a beacon for bigots.

I answered a question similar to this on Sodahead, this was my full response (edited as I posted the response on Sodahead late at night): I'm Canadian, and I have never seen a Chick-fil-a here. However, if I did go to the US and had a choice between KFC, Popeyes and Chick-fil-a, I wouldn't go to Chick-fil-a.

I wouldn't say that I'd boycott for gay rights, I'd say that I'd boycott to protest the infringement of human rights where a company owner thought he'd support an organization which infringes the human rights of people who happen to live a life style a bit differently from them to marry or have a family. Cut off his cash flow he has to stop his cash flow of support or go under. Is it dictatorship? Maybe. But so is what this organization is doing.

The US court decided in the 70's (or was it the 60's?) that marriage is a basic civil right of humans. Besides homosexuality being a 'sin' is a Christian belief, there's nothing in Pagan, Druidism, or Wicca to go against homosexuality. Judism and Islam are similar to Christianity with a few minor yet major variations. So basically the whole idea of supporting an organization like this is oppression of not only homosexual couples but other religions that see no harm in homosexuality.

I thought America was supposed to be the land of the free, not the land of dictatorship.

(now all of that aside, this is further in depth to how I feel/think about the topic)

This is of course just my view, I know a few people will probably disagree, and that's fine. You're fully entitled to tell me I'm wrong or I'm viewing this wrong, but it won't change how I feel about Christians and brother-Christian Religions trying to determine the societal norm. You can make a legitimate argument about first amendment rights, but then again does the first amendment rights of one group surpass the first amendment rights of another group? I don't think so, nor do I think one group's first amendment rights surpass another group's 14th amendment rights.

I think ultimately businesses shouldn't meddle in politics, it's just bad business.

ignoranceisn'tbliss

Thanks to the wonderful Colbert, I already knew about this. Anyway, I live in the Northern half the the country, where Chick-fil-A doesn't have a presence. That being said, what if we put in a similar scenario: let's say Culver's did this. Now first off, I wouldn't see this as "this restaurant chain is anti-gay or pro whatever" but as "the leader of this chain is using the power he's amassed through his restaurant chain as a political weapon." Now do I think that's inherently a bad thing? No. But I do disagree with his point of view (because I can see nothing wrong with gay marriage, and I've never heard any anti-gay marriage argument that didn't have a religious basis, which has no place in politics despite its ridiculous influence).

Now, as for what I'd do. First off, yes, I would stop eating there (it's not like I eat out much anyway, but still). And that's exactly what should happen. We have the right to choose what and where to eat, as well as what to believe in. If a company draws in record sales from people that support their viewpoints, why should someone be considered childish, immature, whatever for choosing to eat somewhere that supports their view or is at least neutral toward their views?

Basically, Chick-fil-A put themselves on one side of a political issue and it's only natural that they'll face whatever consequences follow.

I am a Christian who struggles in her faith. I don't believe in marriage personally for me, and I support the LGBT community. The problem I have with Chick fil a is that as Christian as they are portraying to be they are being hypocritical. Using their profits to fight an organization they do not believe in when they can be 'Christ like' and use those profits to feed the homeless or others in need. They are judging when we are called not to judge but God is the one who will judge. I will not go out of my way to eat at Chick fil a anymore, but I'm not going to officially boycott it. Yes I disapprove completely, but if I am out with friends and that's the only place then fine (I would definitely try to push for some other place).

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

I am in total support of Gay marriage. I see no problem with two people getting married to whomever they want, but honestly is Chick-fil-a is a restaurant chain. It is not the government. I agree I want a chicken sandwich. I feel the that the protesters really need to pick there battles. The entire thing is ridiculous. Could you imagine one day hearing that Gay Marriage was legalized because the LGBT protested at Chick-fil-a. :lol: I remember not too long ago Feminist were protesting Lara Croft because the creators of the game said in one point in the game that Lara Croft (a strong female role model) needs to be saved from being raped by a man. I was just as confused because let's be honest has Lara Croft ever shown any sign of being Pro-feminism or progressive :lol: It is just really stupid. The quotes don't even seem that bad in my opinion.

"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage'. I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about.

This a statement on religious beliefs, we are founded on freedom of religion. If Dan Cathy wants to talk about his religious beliefs on a religious talk radio program I see no issue. I can not honestly find one thing with this quote offensive. I am a huge believer in gay rights but this just a quote made by a person with a different opinion then me and I can respect that not everyone will have my viewpoint. I see no reason to be offended by someone praying for mercy from God for "our arrogant attitude on marriage". This would be like having a party and getting mad at a friend because they apologized to the neighbors because they thought it was too loud, when it wasn't. It is this man's belief that as a society we have done wrong why are we blaming him for asking forgiveness for the rest of us?

"We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give god thanks for that. ... We want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families. We are very much committed to that," Cathy emphasized. "We intend to stay the course," he said. "We know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."[

This quote is from Biblical Recorder, I think the name alone let's you know that it is going to have some strong religious themes. I think it is fairly common knowledge that Christians are not a fan of gay marriage. Honestly I feel the LGBT is looking for a fight on these quotes. I mean they are in religious based media saying religious based things. They are not going out in the middle of the streets yelling "Gay Marriage is a sin against god and man" or something crazy. Dan is stating his beliefs and what the Chic-fil-a company is found on.

I am a huge supporter of Gay marriage I think it should be legal and that is kinda crazy that that it isn't already. But there is a simple reason it isn't legalized. The majority of Americans aren't in favor of Gay marriage.

Some statistics : Total percentage of Americans who Strongly favor/favor Gay Marriage is 41%

Total percentage of Americans who Oppose/Strongly oppose Gay Marriage 47%

The United States is a democracy and sad to say we are actually working here. I think the key to legalizing gay marriage is not stopping me from eating Chic-fil-a or even protest at Chic-fil-a because while Chic-fil-a is not not in favor of gay marriage they are not the cause to why it isn't legal. The key is to educate the people on the matter and try to convince them in an educated manner why Gay marriage should be legal. You could easily point out that majority of the arguments against gay marriage is religious based and we have separation of church and state, so these arguments have no real standing in laws or the government. Also that marriage will be corrupt more by the activities going on in Las Vegas, where you can Married be Elvis, ab Alien, or a cowboy all in the same chapel rather then allowing for homosexuals to engage in Marriage. Also that homosexuals can get married and have been for years, but it is not recognized by the government.

I have never been a fan of the approach the LGBT takes in any matters. I have been to meetings to show support.I went there hoping to contribute to the community instead the over the top in your face attitude of the community about there sexuality was a huge turn-off and made me feels so out of place. It is like hearing about how everyone loves milk while you sit in the corner never being lactose intolerant. I feel this approach to upfront in your face attitude is a huge reason why gay marriage is not legalized. I want to be able to support my local LGBT but I can't because of this. I know plenty of friends that are homosexual and won't suppot the LGBT community because they do not feel comfortable with that approach. Honestly they come off as needing attention so badly that they go to out of there way to get it and pick unnecessary fights. if you want support for a cause try and reason with people not shock them into acceptance.

In Short I love Chic-fil-a, the chicken is so good, and I support Gay marriage but I see no reason why I shouldn't enjoy a chicken sandwich from chic-fil-a while supporting gay marriage.

**Feels he has upset both sides with this post and hides :ph34r: **

I've never eaten at Chick-fil-a and now I never will. I don't care how good their chicken is. Part of their profits go to the owner, and the owner donates his money to anti-gay organizations. So they won't be getting any money from me. That's the extent of my protest though. Verbally attacking Chick-fil-a employees, vandalizing property, and so on, is taking things too far in my book.

Ok well, I have lots of thoughts on this subject. The first and biggest is "this whole thing is annoying". Every month it seems like some company is getting boycotted for the beliefs of someone who works for or is in charge. Two months ago it was the Right wingers boycotting Starbucks for being pro-gay. Last month (currently) Chick-fil-a is getting it from the Left for being anti-gay. Target, Walmart, etc. It's kind of getting old.

Do I agree people should be informed with where the money they spend goes? Sure

Is boycotting (Hehe that word just suddenly looked gay boy-cotting, but there is another thread for that) Chick-fil-a going to make a 91 year old man be any more comfortable with gay loving? Probably not.

Are the views of a 91 year old restaurant ceo going to stop any gays from loving each other? Another probably not.

If you want to change laws on gay marriages in America you have to vote people into office who are for gay marriage. Then you can stuff your face with all the chick-fil-a that you want and the money spent on anti-gay lobbying is someone else's wasted money.

Boycotts, when carried out intelligently, have great impact. Two famous American boycotts were the bus boycott started by Rosa Parks and the grape boycott started by Cesar Chavez. The former was the real start of the civil rights movement. The latter ended with about 14 million Americans refusing to buy grapes and farm workers getting a good union contract with the growers. I grew up in an agricultural region in California and the growers were real bastards to their workers.

Those early boycotts depended on real moral and physical courage. The Chick-fil-A boycott obviously doesn't, and will probably be out of the news in another week. But if anyone wants to buy chicken somewhere else, I applaud them for not wanting to give this mean 91-year-old fundamentalist any more money than he's already got.

well i am completely pro-gay marriage. i support Christians' rights to speak their minds and hold their beliefs. however where i have a problem is when Christians try to prevent others from having basic human rights and liberties. when they want laws made based on THEIR FAITH as though they have the only correct view and hold the moral high ground is when i take issue. it's fine for Christian pastor and churches not to perform or hold gay marriages in their church. they can teach their followers and children w/e they want. WHAT THEY CAN'T DO IS do their best to pretend non christians from going about their lives and finding happiness! i won't sit back and support that or any1 who agrees w/that idea.

Agree with shadowwolf ^. No religion (regardless of the size of its following) has a monopoly on the definition of marriage. It is downright shameful that people like Cathy remain capable of rallying any measure of support. IMO the fact that his objectives are religious makes them doubly unacceptable.

In my opinion both sides of the argument are at fault here. The CEO of the chain had every right to say his opinion of gay marriage, it's America freedom of speech works here. What I don't agree with is having the media blow things out of proportion and make this huge deal of eating at the chain for one day to show support for marriage, and the fact that the other side held the kiss-in the same week. It's just adding embers to the fire that has started in states legalizing gay marriage. Whatever happened respect for each other in this country? It's always both sides pushing their ideas down our throats and making us feel like we should choose sides.

Personally I think that marriage should be between two people who love each other. People argue that it demoralizes the idea of marriage of having a child grow up with parents of the same sex, but what most fail to realize is how kids come out when parents cheat on each other..divorce each other a number of times, or just plain abusive to each other because they are unhappy. This whole issue will soon be in the past and the media will be working some other topic to keep us consumers in an uproar. Remember not too long ago how wrong people thought it was to have a mixed marriage? Blacks and whites didn't belong together. Now days its a common thing and I believe this too will lose its steam over time. This is the land of the free and yet we forget that we do have a choices, if you don't like it then so be it.

Maestro_123

Today my mom and I got food at Chick-fil-A and I said, "There sure are a lot of people here." My mom said, "They must be showing their support for marriage." I said, "What?!" And she told me about how the owner of the restaurant supports "traditional marriage" (that is, the right-wing Christian definition of marriage). My mom is a Conservative Christian like my dad (and I'm an atheist).

I was pissed off about this and said, "Yay for bigotry," sarcastically and also, "Gay people won't ruin straight marriages with 'magical gay waves.' Straight people are perfectly capable of ruining their own marriages." I don't know if she heard me, but she bought the food so I ate it. I don't know if I should eat there again, though. I thought, "I don't want to oppress gay people, I just want a damn chicken sandwich! I wish they would serve it without a side of religion and politics. Grrr!"

What would you do? If you ate at a restaurant and found out about something like this, would you still eat there or would you stop in protest?

Here's some news on the controversy:

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-07-27/us/us_chick-fil-a-controversy_1_marriage-rights-facebook-page-mike-huckabee?iref=obinsite

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/03/chick-fil-a-controversy-shines-light-on-companys-charitable-giving/?iref=obnetwork

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/27/how-the-chick-fil-a-same-sex-marriage-controversy-has-evolved/?iref=obnetwork

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-08-02/us/us_us-chick-fil-a-debate_1_gay-rights-activists-restaurant-chain-food-chain

Most people in the comments seem to be praising Chick-fil-A for "standing up for their beliefs."

WIKIPEDIA page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Chick-fil-A_same-sex_marriage_controversy

Im from England and this stuff just does not happen, maybe 50 years ago it did but not these days, granted we cant get married but theres talks about getting that changed, which means before the next election it will get changed. We generally are far more accepting than people give us credit for (not all of us but majority).

Anyway for me I think marriage was an political binding created from religion (which historically it was), I dont want to get married and find it quite comical how people obsess over it as some ambitious goal.

I personally think people should stop complaining about the Owners actions and try get rid of it at the source - the hate organisations the owner supports.

I couldn't give a crap. I'll just eat there if I want to.

oneofthesun

I would stop eating there. Companies should know that making statements like that could affect their business. (Not that I would ever eat fast food chicken anyway, ew).

The Ice Queen

Some loosely related thoughts:

- This is not a first amendment issue. The first amendment essentially says that the government--not individual citizens--must allow free speech. There was never a question of the government restricting Dan Cathy's vocalizing his opinions.

- That said, we supposedly value a variety of opinions here in America, and I think Dan Cathy's statement, as well as the demonstrations from both sides certainly show that we can voice our variety of opinions. Valuing both sides, however, remains another story...

- I still don't understand why anyone was shocked by what he said. He was asked on a religious radio program about his opinion of gay marriage. He has made no secret of being a conservative Christian. Why did it erupt into this big thing?

- On the other hand, comments like his promote an idea that can balloon, in some individuals' minds, into a reason for true hate speech and hate crimes. When someone labels a country's problems as God's judgment for the actions of a minority of the population, how can we be surprised when that minority is attacked, often in brutal ways? (Note the recent incident of a woman having the word dyke carved into her flesh by home invaders.)

- I don't understand this concept that conservative Christians are being persecuted and must defend themselves by rallying behind a waffle fry. Side note: See this page for an entertaining commentary: http://www.stuffchristianculturelikes.com/2011/02/209-perceiving-persecution.html

- I wish more people were as concerned about feeding the poor (which is something Jesus actually said to do) as they are about buying chicken sandwiches.

- Chick-fil-a, as an organization, does some legitimately good work with charities. Does it balance out the millions given by its CEO to anti-gay groups? I don't know.

- I understand that our money is in many ways our strongest voice in a capitalist society. I make choices with my money all the time. It is certainly understandable that people will make the choice to boycott/support Chick-fil-a based on Dan Cathy's comment.

- While I am quite liberal and strongly support gay marriage, I don't necessarily see this as a reason to boycott Chick-fil-a. (As a vegan, however, I have no reason eat there anyway.) I'm confident that Chick-fil-a is not the only company using my money to support causes I disagree with, but I'm not going to do a politics-check before I make a purchase. Besides, if liberals went around boycotting all companies owned by conservatives, I'm pretty sure we'd be in trouble, given the ratio of rich-conservative-CEOs to rich-liberal-CEOs.

I think everyone caught up in the buzz needs a dose of perspective. They are waging 'war' of ideals via a fast-food chicken joint.

I am a Christian who struggles in her faith. I don't believe in marriage personally for me, and I support the LGBT community. The problem I have with Chick fil a is that as Christian as they are portraying to be they are being hypocritical. Using their profits to fight an organization they do not believe in when they can be 'Christ like' and use those profits to feed the homeless or others in need. They are judging when we are called not to judge but God is the one who will judge. I will not go out of my way to eat at Chick fil a anymore, but I'm not going to officially boycott it. Yes I disapprove completely, but if I am out with friends and that's the only place then fine (I would definitely try to push for some other place).

This is pretty much why I stopped going to Church. Christianity just isn't Christian enough. I saw a picture of a bus-full of people... I'm presuming they were all conservative Christians... smiling and holding up Chik-Fil-A cups, and I thought... do you know how smug you guys look? Don't pat yourself on the back. You're not standing up for your beliefs. I know people serving as missionaries in all corners of the world, including places where it can be dangerous to be a Christian. Wipe that smile off your face until you've been where they have... except, if you did, you wouldn't be smiling like that because you'd be about a hundred times humbler than you are now.

Anyway, Junebug, sorry to hear that you struggle. Let me know if there's any way I can offer you a listening ear for that.

Great Thief Yatagarasu

I think this poster (and the article going with it) explains why the concept of "biblical" or "traditional" or "Christian" marriage is kind of stupid. Because it includes polygamy and slavery, and treating women like property. Honest. http://holybulliesandheadlessmonsters.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/nom-cant-handle-biblical-definition-of.html#.UCBBojW-8jc.facebook

I will not eat food from there, because of this controversy. I agree: To 'hit' the owner in the pocketbook, will be the successful approach!

But the thing is... is our goal to take down the company, or to make the world a safer place to be gay?

This campaign is not going to help the latter.

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

But the thing is... is our goal to take down the company, or to make the world a safer place to be gay?

This campaign is not going to help the latter.

:blink: This brings up a good point..... Does anyone know the point of this Campaign?

Considering that part of the company's profits go to organizations that support the execution of gays, a successful boycott actually could help toward making the world a safer place to be gay. Do I think this boycott will be successful? Not if people continue to be so shortsighted as to assume it's just about the company's view on gay marriage when it's about the customers' cash going to those organizations. Cathy is basically cutting a check made of customers' money and handing it to would be murderers, patting them on the back and telling them to keep up the good work. I'm sure that quite a few of CFA's customers don't want to see people executed for their orientation. Yeah, a few crazies probably do, but the majority of them are just normal people who side with people of their own faith. CFA doesn't just have an opinion, they support a violent agenda. No, they can't have my money.

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

Considering that part of the company's profits go to organizations that support the execution of gays, a successful boycott actually could help toward making the world a safer place to be gay. Do I think this boycott will be successful? Not if people continue to be so shortsighted as to assume it's just about the company's view on gay marriage when it's about the customers' cash going to those organizations. Cathy is basically cutting a check made of customers' money and handing it to would be murderers, patting them on the back and telling them to keep up the good work. I'm sure that quite a few of CFA's customers don't want to see people executed for their orientation. Yeah, a few crazies probably do, but the majority of them are just normal people who side with people of their own faith. CFA doesn't just have an opinion, they support a violent agenda. No, they can't have my money.

I'm sorry but I have seem to missed something could you link me where these organizitions are actually involving themselves with the "execution of gay"? I only read movement against Gay marriage not the excution of gay people. :blink:

Hello "CDSM". I do wish for the world to be a 'safer' place to be gay. However, this particular campaign of boycotting CFA was initiated because gay marriage rights became involved; possibly due to President Obama's support of the plan. This is my speculation and reason for stepping forward.

I am most interested in what "Estranged" had to say about violence, etc. and as

"GIR" has also pointed out.

SorryNotSorry

I don't know of any Chick-Fil-A's here in L.A.; but after hearing about the "unboycott" on KCRW, the only way I'd show up to one of those joints is wearing a Pink Triangle and then seeing if they refuse to serve me.

And don't make the mistake of thinking I'm not crazy enough to do it.

Those organizations may "support execution of gays" but I'd bet they are completely impotent. There will never be "execution of gays" on the books.

But there will still be violence against them.

I honestly don't think gay marriage matters. We could deal with a world with no gay marriage. We could deal with a world where tons of people believe homosexuality is a sin PROVIDED that they do not treat them differently based on that (because if being a sinner makes you an acceptable target for discrimination, then EVERYONE is fair game according to Christian doctrine, though many Christians seem to forget this).

I believe the main focus is as such:

1) Is it safe for gays (and this applies to any oppressed group) to exist openly. Can they live without fear of having violence and other forms of active harm brought against them just for existing?

2) Through discrimination and others forms of inaction, will they be harmed or otherwise held down (i.e. being refused health care or housing based on what they are)

3) Will they, even if they are not harmed in the above ways, experience exclusion or ostracism (which could result in psychological harm)?

Gay marriage falls on the high end on number 3. While it should be legal, but I do not think legalizing it will affect those lower 2 problems.

And those are the ones that honestly, I find no solid solution to them, even if you create anti-discimination laws and a culture of consequences against those who engage in them.

Which, this boycott is creating consequences for those that support hate, but it isn't going to do much if the other side takes up the opposition for misguided reasons, because they mistakenly think this is about "agendas" and not about ensuring that people are safe and not threatened. So the real battle still lies in convincing Christians that they shouldn't be opposing gay people, but helping support them, even if they still think it is wrong, that isn't the point, their morality should still dictate that they should want to make sure they are protected (because it would be hypocritical not to...)

I'm sure they'd say gay people invite God's wrath for their sin, but they forget that other sins are the same. All Christians sin. That's a fact of Christianity, if you believe in it, you can't escape it. So, I would try to tell them, "What if you could be a target for violence and hatred for YOUR sins?"

(Of course, most aren't thinking straight, so, that's never a guarantee)

:blink: This brings up a good point..... Does anyone know the point of this Campaign?

To prove a point, or something. Getting caught up in things that don't matter.

The pro-gay crowd isn't so bad, since they are being passive, so it doesn't really interfere.

The anti-gay crowd, however, is being stupid by thinking they are somehow taking a stand by eating out, rather than, I dunno. Have I done a rant here about missionaries yet?

I don't know of any Chick-Fil-A's here in L.A.

On Sunset, heading west just before West Hollywood. It's always packed, and usually with gay folk.

Personally, I'll never eat there again.

The fact that their "beliefs" came out under the gay rights umbrella is irrelevant to me (thought I admit it caught my attention pretty quickly). What IS relevant is that it's hate mongering (in my eyes). If they want to believe that some people have less of a right because of their sexuality, their gender, their disabilities, their abilities, their hair color, eye color, skin color, they're bald... It's all the same. They're being hateful and that's not okay to me.

I'm in no way religious, but I'm spiritual and I fully and 100% believe in The Golden Rule. Just because you're a straight white, white-collar man does not mean you get to lord over anyone else and tell them what they can and cannot do. That's not okay. He wouldn't like it if it was done to his daughter or son, or to his father or grandfather, or to himself so he shouldn't do it to other people (I'm using "he" as the CEO of Chick-Fil-A but I mean it in a general sense... We're just talking about the restaurant, and I know they're not refusing to serve people).

It's a personal choice, and I personally feel that I would be standing against some of my best friends whom I consider siblings if I ate there.

Archived