opposite attraction

This may be a stupid question. Why do opposite sexes really attract? Is it because of wanting sex with the other? physical appearance? pheromene? If a male was sprayed with artifical female pheromene, would hetero males be attracted to/fall in love with him?

Propagation of the species! Also supporting genetic diversity via the spread of genetic material, improving the overall fitness of the species...*goes off on biology tangent*

If a male was sprayed with artifical female pheromene, would hetero males be attracted to/fall in love with him?

That's an interesting thought. A French company once made a cologne for guys that had male sex pheromones in it...could try using that on females and seeing the reactions. HOWEVER, not all individuals respond to the pheromones given off by a particular individual, so you'd have to have a very large sample group.

Gah...ADD moments...*headdesk*

Erm, yeah. Ramble over.

If you want to get basic, I'd have to say that the opposite sexes are attracted to each other for the sake of making healthy babies and keeping the species going for another generation.

hi. I haven't posted here in awhile. Anyway, I think the reason why opposite sexes attract has a lot to do with the human sex drive. But also, I believe, it has to do with people wanting something they do not have. You know the saying, "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence." It's true. Men want someone who has curves and is soft and delicate....just what men (in general) are not. And women (I'm assuming, I wouldn't quite know cos I'm a guy) want someone who is hard, strong, and could protect them. Maybe I'm just completely wrong, but that's my theory lol.

Propagation of the species! Also supporting genetic diversity via the spread of genetic material, improving the overall fitness of the species...*goes off on biology tangent*

I don't want a biology answer. :) What I'm talking about is in human society. What causes most people attracted to the opposite sex, not the same sex? I don't see much difference between opposite sexes. They are all humans to me... :P

This may be a stupid question. Why do opposite sexes really attract? Is it because of wanting sex with the other? physical appearance? pheromene? If a male was sprayed with artifical female pheromene, would hetero males be attracted to/fall in love with him?

I've heard that copulins(female pheromones) help to calm men down if they smell them regularly. As regards attracting other men, though, thatwouldn't work as there are 1000s of other factors.

I've been intrigued by pheromones in the past. I'm not interested in their supposed sexual element , but in the fact that some scientific reports have stated that men with extra male pheromones sprayed on them get treated better in the office, promoted etc. by other men and women on a nonsexual level. This may well be rubbish since up till now the study of pheromones is too new, and a lot of pheromone-producing companies hire scientists to provide results, but it's an interesting idea.

Loki

Silly Green Monkey

I've only seen experiments with female subjects, the twin with female pheromones getting hit on three times more than her unaugmented sister.

I don't know.

I guess it's just one of those things we take for granted in society.

I probably haven't been very helpful but honestly I've never thought about it.

I've heard that copulins(female pheromones) help to calm men down if they smell them regularly. As regards attracting other men, though, thatwouldn't work as there are 1000s of other factors.

I've been intrigued by pheromones in the past. I'm not interested in their supposed sexual element , but in the fact that some scientific reports have stated that men with extra male pheromones sprayed on them get treated better in the office, promoted etc. by other men and women on a nonsexual level. This may well be rubbish since up till now the study of pheromones is too new, and a lot of pheromone-producing companies hire scientists to provide results, but it's an interesting idea.

Loki

i think there was a sci-fi show that suggested the ill-effects of excessive pheromone exploitation in a futuristic scenario. people dropping their inhibitions and commiting crimes.

its gotta be more than pheromones, else how do you explain gayness?

Gayity, not gayness, is an extreme variation in human sexuality. I also agree with BOA on the idea of advertising and indoctrination. Most people are not limited to heterosexuality; most humans carry bisexual potential and many experience some level of homosexual attraction throughout their lifetimes.

However, many societies, including the the United States, operate off a rewards and punishments system when it concerns sexuality. Many will choose the opposite sex due to the current social stigma surrounding homosexuality. In everyday human interaction, same-sex or opposite-sex, attraction does play a role.

This can be observed from a historical perspective or it can be observed from a psychological perspective.

Gayity, not gayness

the dic does not recognize your word dude. if you have to be so fuckin' punctilious, check your own facts first.[/i]

Silly Green Monkey

How about gaiety? It's the word connected with gay as it was defined a century ago, as being happy and full of fun.

Gayity, not gayness

the dic does not recognize your word dude. if you have to be so fuckin' punctilious, check your own facts first.[/i]

You're right. I mispelled the word; it can also be spelled gayety, which was what I was thinking. No need for the anger, mon ami, simmer down.