Is it normal for females to masturbate?

I just wanted to know if it was normal for girls to masturbate. I don't. I used to think I did, because I would touch myself, but it wasn't for sexual pleasure. More of a kind of exploring my body, if you know what I mean. But I didn't do it for sexual pleasure, and in fact when I found out that you can get an orgasm from masturbating, I was so embarrassed for thinking that I had masturbated because it seemed so disgusting. So yeah. I've never masturbated like that and I don't have any urge to, but I know it's pretty common for guys to do it. Is it common for girls to do so too?

-Isa

Cate Perfect

All the women I know do.

Cate

In school we once had a sex therapist telling us that many women won't consider they masturbate, but they ARE stimulated by normal movement and friction with clothes, etc.

BTW, that was a non curricular sex therapist in a religious school.

Cate Perfect

Hmmm. I can't say I've ever been ... stimulated...by my clothes. Maybe I'm not wearing the right clothes.

Cate

Well, one female friend said something like "Yes, I've got a VERY nice pair of jeans..." So it's true at least for SOME people.

Also, I think mnay women might have an easier time just having sex (if their standards are low enough, I mean)

My understanding is that the vast majority of both males and females masturbate. However, the proportion of males is somewhat larger than that of females.

(I wish I ould remember the place where I read some statistics on this.)

nonentities

It's as normal for women to masturbate as it is for men to masturbate.

I wouldn't know about the clothes thing, though.

But I didn't do it for sexual pleasure, and in fact when I found out that you can get an orgasm from masturbating, I was so embarrassed for thinking that I had masturbated because it seemed so disgusting.

i too have guilt issues with masturbation,but do it nevertheless. its not a gender issue.

Well, one female friend said something like "Yes, I've got a VERY nice pair of jeans..." So it's true at least for SOME people.

I have a "very nice pair of jeans too" :lol: Some jeans have the inside seams in a way that climbing up stairs can be "interesting" :roll: I wouldn't consider that masturbation, but it's definitely stimulation.

In my opinion there are too many females that stimulate themselves without actually knowing what they're doing. I guess there's the idea that masturbating is touching yourself, but some just stimulate ourselves concious or inconsciously, mainly using friction and don't consider it masturbation :roll:

In my opinion there are too many females that stimulate themselves without actually knowing what they're doing. I guess there's the idea that masturbating is touching yourself, but some just stimulate ourselves concious or inconsciously, mainly using friction and don't consider it masturbation :roll:

there is this scene in In the Cut where Meg Ryan is stimulating herself, but perhaps she is doing more. there is very little diff on screen

I personally have never touched myself outside of the usual business of getting dressed/undressed or showering or whatever. I have occasionally felt some sensations from down there that didn't have anything to do with that time of the month, but I've never connected them with orgasms or sexual feelins or attraction. I'm 21 years old, so it's possible that I've physically experience an orgam since I hit puberty, but I probably didn't realize it.

Okay I'm female, I masturbate on occassion.

I actually didn't know that's what I was doing at the time until I found out what female masturbation could be (ie did not mean sticking a candle or other phallic object up your erm...hole). Sorry for the crudeness here :oops:

Anyway I still don't know what an orgasm is. I might have experienced one while masturbating, I don't know.

It helps me sleep sometimes that's all.

It's totally normal for females to masturbate, yes. Some females can only reach orgasm by doing so. A lot of girls I know think it is odd if other girls don't masturbate. I think it's pretty normal just to explore down there too.

As for the clothing thing, some females are much more sensitive to stimulation than others. I am fairly sure most women don't get aroused from their clothing though ... unless they're wearing really tight jeans and no underwear or something ... which is probably a bad idea anyway. Wearing tight pants can be detrimental to a female...I've heard.

Oh yeah, it's also perfectly normal to not masturbate.

It's totally normal for females to masturbate, yes. Some females can only reach orgasm by doing so. A lot of girls I know think it is odd if other girls don't masturbate. I think it's pretty normal just to explore down there too.

As for the clothing thing, some females are much more sensitive to stimulation than others. I am fairly sure most women don't get aroused from their clothing though ... unless they're wearing really tight jeans and no underwear or something ... which is probably a bad idea anyway. Wearing tight pants can be detrimental to a female...I've heard.

Oh yeah, it's also perfectly normal to not masturbate.

one girl actually told me...she tried...but she really have no idea if she is doing this "correctly". honestly, i don't know how to advice her. so she was like saying...technically she would not consider herself as masturbating (yes she was exploring) but i suppose the more accurate way of saying is....she didn't know how to achieve orgasm with her touching? im not really sure.... :roll: im definitely not offering to show her how.

Meh, I'm not the masturbating type. However, I did experience an orgasm or two in a relationship I was in not too long ago. I honestly didn't think it was all that great. I was like, "Oh... that's it?" So I'm one of the few women who just doesn't care. One of my best friends masturbates ALL THE FREAKING TIME, so hearing that a woman masturbates sounds completely normal to me. I guess I agree with it being perfectly normal either way.

Maggie

I would say telling someone how to reach orgasm, or how to masturbate "properly" is just too much effort. Not everyone responds the same to everything. I assume it a trial and error thing, sinse it's different for everyone what feels good and what doesn't. You can't just say, "this is how you masturbate". You could say, "this is how I do it, and this happens"...but I mean...what else can you tell a person? As for me, everything like that is uncomfortable, ungratifying, uninteresting and wasteful of energy, so I could care less.

But I didn't do it for sexual pleasure, and in fact when I found out that you can get an orgasm from masturbating, I was so embarrassed for thinking that I had masturbated because it seemed so disgusting.

i too have guilt issues with masturbation,but do it nevertheless. its not a gender issue.

This is sad. Too many of us have been convinced that our bodies or parts thereof are disgusting and getting pleasure from our bodies is an occasion for guilt and shame. You should feel guilty over causing harm to others, but never for giving yourself pleasure. Our bodies are interesting, sensitive, fascinating organisms that we should enjoy to best of our ability. Masturbating harms no one. It is, perhaps, the most innocent of pleasures since it is wholly private and personal.

I feel an intense sense of guilt during any sort of masturbation or sex. But perhaps it's because there is no pleasure involved. Like, I could imagine wanting to have sex or masturbating anyway if I actually got physical pleasure from it, but the guilt is pretty dominating.

Maybe I felt a bit guilty before I lived alone - fear of being found out etc., but now I live alone I can do it anywhere and also be very vocal which I find a big part of it and psychologically essential (probably frightens the cats at night!!!)

For ages I thought women didn't do it because I never did myself. I was surprised when I heard it was fairly common.

PeterMacKenzie

A female friend of mine told me how sorry she felt for guys, since we didn't get the constant sexual stimulation that she got and that she percieved other girls as getting. Apparently, she found old shakey busses to be quite invigorating.

• 2 months later...

In popular belief it is considered normal. But then it is as well considered normal to like "sex" (even to be craving for it).

I think for females both is not normal.

Who could know better than asexuals that it is perfectly possible to live without "sex". And it is as well perfectly possible for women to do completely without masturbation.

With proper help every girl can (and in my opinion, by all means should) learn early in her life how to overcome any temptation to touch herself "down there". She will permanently loose all interest in stimulating herself at all.

But this is of course absolutely contrary to popular belief that all people want sex, and that it is quite normal for females to masturbate, too.

Silly Green Monkey

Why would you think that females are not supposed to enjoy sex?

Girls have been encouraged not to masturbate, punished for masturbating, and had their clitorises surgically excised to prevent any chance of masturbation. Is this what you advocate?

If, as you say, it is not normal for women to masturbate, then it must also not be normal for men. There really is not that much difference between men and women, and men could be discouraged just as easily as women from masturbation.

Your views may not be imposed on the billions of people who do feel pleasure from genital stimulation, and it would be inadvisable for one person to try.

In popular belief it is considered normal. But then it is as well considered normal to like "sex" (even to be craving for it).

I think for females both is not normal.

Who could know better than asexuals that it is perfectly possible to live without "sex". And it is as well perfectly possible for women to do completely without masturbation.

With proper help every girl can (and in my opinion, by all means should) learn early in her life how to overcome any temptation to touch herself "down there". She will permanently loose all interest in stimulating herself at all.

But this is of course absolutely contrary to popular belief that all people want sex, and that it is quite normal for females to masturbate, too.

I think it's common for women to masturbate, but I refrain from using the term "normal"- makes you seem like you're broken if you don't want something. Same with sex, some people want it and some people don't.

However- I don't see why girls should learn to overcome temptation to masturbate. If someone likes it and wants to do it, why should she refrain? And I also noticed that you only mentioned that girls should overcome that temptation, and not boys. Do you think both shouldn't masturbate, or just girls? Either way, I disagree with you.

Opel the Old

i didnt know JEANS have that FUNCTION, no wonder, I DON'T like Jeans!!

i know many women masturbate, i don't

i think most women masturbate with more than Jeans.....

PeterMacKenzie

What value could there be in conditioning females not to masturbate which would be worth subverting a very basic natural drive with unknown psychological and pysiological consequences?

[A female friend of mine told me how sorry she felt for guys, since we didn't get the constant sexual stimulation that she got and that she percieved other girls as getting. Apparently, she found old shakey busses to be quite invigorating.

Oh my gosh that is so true!! I had an "interesting" experience on a shakey bus as well. It all has to do with the way you stand.

But I think it's almost as common these days for girls to masterbate as much as boys, girls just don't talk about it as much.

I masturbate sometimes and I'm female. It's weird though.....it's more like a habit than me being aroused since that doesn't happen a lot.