Black rings and other ways to show asexual pride

When I was on holiday I bought a wooden black ring with little white arrows painted on it in the middle. When people ask me about it, if I'm feeling comfortable I'll tell them it's an ace ring, otherwise I'll just say it's the One Ring To Rule Them All ( because it does kinda look like it!) ^_^

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
TheLandsBeyond

I got one that I really like! It's silver with onyx and only $10 from a local shop! :D

acering.jpg?t=1416354392

• Like 3
_stillahomosapien_

Made a custom one out of loom bands. No one has asked about it yet :D

NVkJq3c.jpg

Also made a bracelet.

7UDgSgM.jpg

• Like 2

In a cupboard I found an old scarf and gloves we have that happen to be in the ace flag colours ... It's a sign! :D I've been wearing them and one of my friends actually noticed the reference! (I also was wearing my ace colour scheme earrings.)

• Like 2

I like the hematite ring idea and had one, but they do break easily. Ha! We are stronger than lava!

I figured it would be grey because from what I've read, with my lofty experience of barely 24 hours, asexuality is all about shades of grey. Or is it because black is one of the AVEN flag colors?

Also, hematite is a very grounding stone for those who value that quality --- and I think technically it's dark grey, not black.

BlueWatermelon

I had a few hours to kill today and found this in the jewelry section. It's surprisingly difficult to find a solid black ring. I will keep an eye out for one, but it makes me happy. :>

unnamed.jpg

• Like 1

The thing is if we try to make a signal, like wearing a ring on a specific finger, some sexual people might do it without realizing//

Edit: I have actually come around on the idea. Even if people do not immediately recognize it, we will know.

I had a few hours to kill today and found this in the jewelry section. It's surprisingly difficult to find a solid black ring. I will keep an eye out for one, but it makes me happy. :>

unnamed.jpg

That looks great!

• Like 1
_stillahomosapien_

The thing is if we try to make a signal, like wearing a ring on a specific finger, some sexual people might do it without realizing.

That would be crazy, I imagine some people will be thinking that this is some sort of fashion trend and start copying it, not realizing the underlying meaning. Sadly, it could eventually be diluted/meaningless if everyone starts doing it, then we'd have to make a new signal. :(

• Like 1
BlueWatermelon

unnamed.jpg

That looks great!

Thanks! I know it will probably never happen. But I would really like it if I bumped into another ace wearing a black ring and then we could like **super-insta-fiend-fist-bump-woo** moment.

• Like 1

People in the community here don't really know the black ring :/ but I think I might buy myself one anyway. Or maybe I'll ask my friend to make me a braclet like the black-purple-white one above

curvyrainbowboi

Well, now I feel a LOT better about mine!

PvecvPj.jpg

I used to wear hematite, but they really do break VERY easily. Might get a new one someday, but for now this makes me feel good, and it matches Master's. ^_^

• Like 4
thistleeverfreen

Woah, rainbow (homoromantic ace?) I just have a plain tungsten carbide my sister's boyfriend gave me for my bday a month ago. It's a pretty sturdy metal if you're afraid of hematite breaking. I heard its what they use in some armor piercing bullets or something.

• Like 1

I got my ring yesterday. It is enamel plated tungsten carbide.

41iqSXvdxDL.jpg

I am actually getting a similar one. Mine is beveled and is going to have custom engraving to say "Asexual"

• Like 1

I just realized that I totally have ace socks!

34hvta9.jpg

I actually have those same ones and never thought that until I saw your post XD

• Like 1

I was watching either GFBF on YouTube (or maybe specifically the channel of the chick who hosts it, can't remember her name at the moment), and she was talking about how hard it can be to find others of your sexual orientation. She suggested wearing rainbow bracelets (because she is a lesbian), and I thought, 'sure.' So I made a set of three bracelets I identify with and wear them in a specific order. They are just strings of seed beads based on the pride flags. I have a LGBTQA bracelet (rainbow), then my ace bracelet (purple, white, grey, black), and I identify as biromantic, so I have a bracelet for that (pink, purple, blue). They're innocuous, but if anyone asks, they're easy to explain, and they're less ambiguous (I think) than a black ring. ^-^

• Like 1
curvyrainbowboi

Woah, rainbow (homoromantic ace?) I just have a plain tungsten carbide my sister's boyfriend gave me for my bday a month ago. It's a pretty sturdy metal if you're afraid of hematite breaking. I heard its what they use in some armor piercing bullets or something.

Mostly. They didn't have pan-colors, but yeah I'm definitely more homo-romantic than anything else.

Mine's titanium. Master's is steel.

I've been silently coming out to everyone I meet as aromantic asexual with my new necklace I got for my birthday from my friend (who I actually am out to). It's got an Ace of Spades (a symbol used for us who are aro and ace) on the front and some steampunk type gears on the back. It's my favorite necklace ever and the only one I want to wear everyday.~

• Like 2
BlueWatermelon

I've been silently coming out to everyone I meet as aromantic asexual with my new necklace I got for my birthday from my friend (who I actually am out to). It's got an Ace of Spades (a symbol used for us who are aro and ace) on the front and some steampunk type gears on the back. It's my favorite necklace ever and the only one I want to wear everyday.~

Cool. I enjoy the steampunk aesthetic. It sounds like a nice, subtle way to make a statement, similar to the black ring.

• Like 1

tumblr_ngmvarXk2v1shua88o1_1280.jpg

I 3-d printed my ring! It's a simple black band, and I love it!

For some reason, I always feel naked without it on. There's this empty feeling in my finger if it's not there.

• Like 1

I'm teaching myself how to knit, and so I'm making my first scarf with the asexual colors.

• Like 1

I used to make those friendship bracelet things all the time. I need to go back through all my differently colored threads and find the colors I need to make an ace bracelet. (If I can remember how to make them properly, lol. It's been years......)

_stillahomosapien_

Yay, finally got a better ring :D

10846420_379767972193271_911532112202181

I've been wearing my black ring on my right finger since 2012. My friend bought three of them online for me and gave them to me. I wear a silver ring on my left middle finger as well. I have never been asked why I wear my black ring, but I know why I wear it. I wear my black ring with pride.

• 1 month later...
Dodecahedron314

Just finished making my new ace ring as an early birthday present to myself! The spade (green for aro pride!) is kind of squashed because I didn't want a huge ring, but I like it anyway.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbgjnrb9i3e87ox/2015-01-23%2022.03.03.jpg?dl=0

(^I'm on mobile, so that link is the best I can do in terms of posting the picture. I'll also see if I can upload it as my avatar.)

EDIT: After some cajoling, the avatar thing miraculously worked! (I figured the gesture was apropos.)