Black rings and other ways to show asexual pride

hmm... Are there any jewelry makers around? Maybe someone can come up with something original.

a black leather ring with a triangular bead... or a leather bracelett with a triangle embosed into it - something very original.

It could still become a fad, but we could have a code phrase to ask about it to see if the person knows what it means.

This is starting to feel like a secret society. *LOL*

hawke

• Like 3
a leather bracelett with a triangle embosed into it - something very original.

This is starting to feel like a secret society. *LOL*

hawke

Now that I like. *sneaks around speaking to her wrist*

• Like 4

I think though that if we want whatever it is to be fairly non-obtrusive so people aren't asking about it ALL of the time we will want to be very careful about any symbols we put on it because that will make it more eye catching and people will want to know what it is for. Even moreso with anything that would have words on it. I think that words and symbols also give an item more fad appeal.

Kombucha2000

I love the black ring idea. I have a few hemitite rings, but I don't know if they'll fit my left middle finger. I also don't see anything wrong with silver rings (hell, technically hematite's not really black anyway). I like the idea of original ring designs, but price and the process of obtaining one can be a hassle.

hmm... Are there any jewelry makers around? Maybe someone can come up with something original.

a black leather ring with a triangular bead...

if you add the option of synthetic leather for the animal friendly AVENites, that sounds great. That actually doesn't sound too complicated to make, the hardest part is getting the right bead. I've seen some triangle beads but the drilled holes don't go the way I'd like it to. And then there's the whole size and color issue.

Kombucha2000

I've been thinking about gemstones and it's too bad black onyx band rings aren't as common or cheap as hemitite because I think onyx is a more appropriate stone for asexuals. I've been interested in gemstones for years and I have books on metaphysical properties of stones and a couple of sources have said that onyx reduces sexual urges. Now, I know that's not something we need, but the fact that it's a antiaphrodisiac stone seems like an interest for us.

• Like 3
I think though that if we want whatever it is to be fairly non-obtrusive so people aren't asking about it ALL of the time we will want to be very careful about any symbols we put on it because that will make it more eye catching and people will want to know what it is for.

Agreed. That is also why I prefer the black ring idea. Point-down triangles, regardless of color, are generally associated with homosexuality, so wearing a triangle may attract some unwanted attention and unwarented criticism.

Cate Perfect

I'm for the black ring on a pre-agreed upon finger because that way we don't have to have the dreaded, 'What symbol is best?' debate followed by the hell that would be having the jewellery made. It'd be a lot easier for all asexuals around the world to find.

Cate

I'm for the black ring on a pre-agreed upon finger because that way we don't have to have the dreaded, 'What symbol is best?' debate followed by the hell that would be having the jewellery made. It'd be a lot easier for all asexuals around the world to find.

Cate

A black ring it is then! (How exciting!) But which finger shall we wear it on, because as soon as I know I'm going to go out and buy one.

Cate Perfect

I always thought pinky rings look weird on women (but fine on men). What about middle finger right hand for women--because some asexual women are married and would wear a wedding ring on their left hand, which would look off right beside a black ring. Then on the right pinky for men?

Cate

Maybe I'm wierd, but I dont think I'll ever notice anythign like that.....

*is happily oblivious to the world around him*

I'm starting to favor the right middle finger. Now I just have to find a black ring.

I'm starting to like that idea as well. Then it would work for both genders regardless of whether or not they are married.

Cate Perfect

They usually have them at those bits and bobs shops like Claire's and Afterthoughts. Anywhere they have those big cases of simple sterling bands they usually also have a few hematite bands.

Cate

I have started wearing my ring as of today, so if you see someone wandering around Colorado with a black ring on their middle right finger...

• Like 1
black ring on the right middle finger sounds good to me. I can show off whilst flipping people off!

*pictures*

"You @%^^ @#!!!"

"Hey! You're asexual!"

• Like 10
Cate Perfect
black ring on the right middle finger sounds good to me. I can show off whilst flipping people off!

*pictures*

"You @%^^ @#!!!"

"Hey! You're asexual!"

*pictures people flipping off one another then laughing and shaking hands delightedly*

*laughs ass off*

Cate

• Like 8

anyways, rings are so much better than wristbands. The wristbands seem to be the new craze right now, an dit's pissing me off. my younger brother has about five of the things. He has the make poverty history one, yet he has said he doesn't care about fair trade or wiping out third world debt, he has the "stand up, speak up against racism one" even though he's not all that bothere dabout it. they're a fashion accessory, rathe rthan being something of meaning, so i'm not one to like wristbands.

Black rings sound so much cooler, even if i don't wear rings, and even if rings do hinder my guitar playing. (Although wearing it on the right (strumming) hand is better than the left hand.

*pictures*

"You @%^^ @#!!!"

"Hey! You're asexual!"

That was brilliant.

• Like 2

Jelly bracelets have entirely different conotations in NZ, they are worn by school students as part of a ritual to do with sexual favours (shudders - please don't ask for details).

I'm glad the black ring is to be entirely black rather than just a black stone on a silver band (as these used to be worn on the little finger by lesbians in the 1950s as a secret means of identification) which could prove a tad confusing for older people.

Re the possibility of non asexual people liking the design and adopting them unaware of their significance, I've seen men wear labrys earrings - now that's really disconcerting.

bard of aven
I've seen men wear labrys earrings - now that's really disconcerting.

Can you enlighten the ignorant as to its meaning [Merriam-Webster s.v. labrys: an ancient Cretan sacred double ax]

boa

I've seen men wear labrys earrings - now that's really disconcerting.

Can you enlighten the ignorant as to its meaning [Merriam-Webster s.v. labrys: an ancient Cretan sacred double ax]

boa

You're absolutely right, BOA. However, the labrys represents femenine power....

• Like 1
The labrys has been adopted as a lesbian feminist symbol, particularly popular during the 80s and 90s.

Well, the phenomenon of 'lesbian in a man's body' has been documented, not just in a joking way. Maybe that has something to do with it?

But probably they just didn't realize. :)

*wonders* Damn, whenever I'm not looking for hematite I see it everywhere...and now that I want it, I can't find it. Oh, well...one day!