Black rings and other ways to show asexual pride

I'm not sure regular zirconium is a common material for rings... it's more of a nuclear reactor type thing... :?

I just had this random thought that we'd be wearing these rings and sterilizing everyone we walked past with our radioactive jewelry.

*considers whether to cackle madly*

Silly Green Monkey

Only very stable metals are used in nuclear reactors, right? I don't see the problem with the metal.

honeyandthemoon

No, there's no reason why rings couldn't be made out of regular zirconium, but that's just not a common use for it. Until you anodize or autoclave it, it basically looks like titanium, which is a more common metal for jewelry. Zirconium is used for many other things... :D

Zirconium is a grayish-white metal' date=' lustrous and exceptionally corrosion resistant. It is lighter than steel and its hardness is similar to copper. When it is finely divided, the metal can spontaneously ignite in air, especially at high temperatures (it is much more difficult to ignite the solid metal). Zirconium zinc alloy becomes magnetic at temperatures below 35° K. Oxidation states of zirconium include +4, although +3 and +2 can be obtained.

Applications

The major end uses of zircon (ZrSiO4) are refractories, foundry sands (including investment casting), and ceramic opacification. Zircon is also marketed as a natural gemstone used in jewelry, and its oxide is processed to produce the diamond simulant, cubic zirconia. Other uses:

[list']Zirconium has a low absorption cross section for neutrons, which makes it ideal for nuclear energy uses, such as cladding fuel elements. More than 90% of zirconium metal production is consumed by commercial nuclear power generation. Modern commercial scale reactors can use as much as a 150,000 meters of zirconium alloy tubing.

[*]Extensively used by the chemical industry for piping in corrosive environments.

[*]Zirconium is pyrophoric (flammable) and has been used in military incendiaries.

[*]Its carbonate is used in poison ivy lotions.

[*]Impure zirconium oxide, zirconia, is used to make laboratory crucibles that can withstand heat shock, for linings of metallurgical furnaces, and by the ceramic and glass industries as a refractory material.

[*]Human tissues can easily tolerate this metal which makes it suitable for some artificial joints and limbs.

[*]Also used in heat exchangers, as a "getter" in vacuum tubes, in lamp filaments and various specialty alloys.

[*]When alloyed with niobium, zirconium becomes superconductive at low temperatures and is used to make superconductive magnets with possible large-scale electrical power uses.

[*]Zirconium Diamide-Diamine complexes can be used to catalyse the polymerisation of alkenes, especially ethene, when activated with Trityl-BArF.

• 1 year later...
Wolf X Omega

I don't know about you guys, but what i do to show i'm asexual and proud are 2 things

1) Screaming on the street "I'm a freaking asexual! Sex Is For Suckers(and F*****)"

2) If i hit on someone i say "Hey, i'm an asexual, would you like to come to my place to talk and hang out?"

Well XD not with those words, but i think acts speak louder than words... or shirts.

• 3 months later...
violeteyedsoul

well, I don't like jexlery. I'm not a jewlery person.

And when it comes to rings I don't like wearing them. thier always getting in the way. along with bracelttes.

But if any kind of jewlery is sold on here I'll buy it; as long as it's $10.00 or less.

I was thinking of something simple like a letter ring.

like this

http://www.hjgreek.com/index.cfm?event=Pro...Product_ID=9061

sorry I don't know how to upload images. But the ring that's shown on the first page is what I was thinking of.

We could have a plain A inscribed on it.

We could even have the letter be in lavender, instead of black; or just have a lavender triangle inscribed in it.

I have the solution!!

Asexuals everywhere, all over the world, shall...

dye their hair purple!! :lol:

(and for bald people, uh, you can get purple wigs)

And that way we just look for people with purple hair :D

But, yeah, making the jewelry could be fun as well. Something with a triangle or A or whatever :)

I have the solution!!

Asexuals everywhere, all over the world, shall...

dye their hair purple!! :lol:

(and for bald people, uh, you can get purple wigs)

And that way we just look for people with purple hair :D

But, yeah, making the jewelry could be fun as well. Something with a triangle or A or whatever :)

.. . . but I like my hair the way it is!

Couldn't I just dye my nose purple, instead? Or wear purple contacts? That would be cool!

• Like 1

Okay okay okay. So then dye either your nose, ears, or elbows purple :D How about that/ ^__^

• Like 1
Okay okay okay. So then dye either your nose, ears, or elbows purple :D How about that/ ^__^

Cool!

*promptly dyes elbows purple*

• Like 1
violeteyedsoul

Hey!

I have an Idea!

we could wear rings with a purple cake carved on them!

lol!

or

a bunch of purple bananas!

MMMMmmm!!!!

Lol!

NO One would know what THAT is!

Edit:Or we could have a little purple cake, or Banana emblem thingy, to hang on a necklace!

It would become all the rage! EVERYONE would want one!

We'd all suddenly be COOL! 8)

lol!

:-D

Or we could just take some cake and smear it all over our face. That'd totally be noticeable, and hasn't been done by anyone yet :D

Sorry, I'm kind of hyper and enjoy playing around with the identification idea :lol:

violeteyedsoul

yeah, I like playing around with the I.D. idea too.

I'm just a automatically a bit more serious about it.

I seriously do wish that we had some little thing that we could easily pick each other out with though.

It'd make things easier, for me.

violeteyedsoul

ahh...

yes!

YES!

but we'd be a U N I T E D COOL!

and be able to

*fires up echoing godlike sound*

TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

No one could stop us!

*purple thunder.

lighting

whatever*

LOL!

• Like 1
ahh...

yes!

YES!

but we'd be a U N I T E D COOL!

and be able to

*fires up echoing godlike sound*

TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

No one could stop us!

*purple thunder.

lighting

whatever*

LOL!

Aaaawesome.

*sits back with sunglasses to watch the purple lightening show* . . .still working on how to see purple thunder. Maybe there's a trick to it. . . ?

purple thunder

umm.

It's AbStRaCt Art.

yeah!

that's it!

Abstract art!

LOL!

:-)

riiiiiiiight. . . .. yeah, yeah! I get it!!! I bet it'd be worth millions at auction!

violeteyedsoul

YES!

YES it would!

Esp. since it's like interactive!

there's sound and inmges!

that and you can get zapped by the lighting; if you so desire.

:wink:

that's it! everyone needs to get zapped by the purple lightning!

then EVERYONE would be a-sexual!

MMMuuuwwaaahhhh!!!!!

we could take over

*dn,dun, duuhhh!!!*

the

W O R L D!!!!!

MMMUUUWWAAHHHH!!!! <-- insert deep godlike insane ckacling here.

LOL!

:-)

:-P

Well. . . .within a generation or two the population would probably shrink by a lot. . . .

But I think I'm afraid of being zapped by purple lightning *cowers*

violeteyedsoul

No it's AWESOME! <-- imagine hippie sounding awesome here. lol!

you get to leviate,

and you GLOW purple!

and your hair ends spark!

it's a GREAT experience,

LMAF!

I'd recomend it to anyone!

LOL!

:lol:

No it's AWESOME! <-- imagine hippie sounding awesome here. lol!

you get to leviate,

and you GLOW purple!

and your hair ends spark!

it's a GREAT experience,

LMAF!

I'd recomend it to anyone!

LOL!

. . . . . :?:

*doubtfully* If you say so. . . .

:shock: <-- me zapped by purple lightening.

Reminds me of my grandfather telling me to "eat your vegetables. . they'll put hair on your chest!"

violeteyedsoul

LOL!

WOO HOOOOOO!!!!

*Takes seat as everyone watches purple lighting and sparks fly!*

SEE!?

ITSN'T IT COOL MAN!!!! *calls out*

*waves little sparlker*

lol!

• 2 months later...

Today I was in a store that sells Native American crafts and they had black rings made from the shells of nuts for $3. Very light and hard but not brittle like Hematite.

• Like 1

ooh, that sounds good. I picked up a hematite ring at some point, only to shatter it a few months later. I'll have to keep my eye out for something like you're talking about.

I would looove to be able to have a way to identify other asexuals. Maybe a black ring on the middle left finger? there was a discussion earlier on this thread that meant permanently single. Which isn't exactly accurate because a lot of asexuals do have significant others but i still think it would be good because that way it would be more specific and unmistakable, not just a random black ring. :aven: