Do you ever get crushes/squishes on fictional characters?

Rebuilder

How common is it for Asexuals (and AVENites in general) to have crushes or squishes on fictional characters, like in anime, books, films, TV programmes, and video games, for example. It can be about their personality, or physical appearance, but that might be for another topic. I don't know if you can exactly call them "squishes", per se, especially with video games, I can become very attached to a character who you are playing alongside in the game. Other media? Sure, I've probably had my fair share of people who I'd like to get to know better, but those usually don't make me feel involved with them.

Discuss...

Er. I don't really get crushes but I think along the lines of "Damn, that's one hot (anime/movie/tv show/comic) guy!". Because really. They are. Has anyone heard of Usui Takumi?

The Great WTF

I faked a crush on Yamato from Digimon in middle school, but that's about it. I've never gotten crushes or squishes, fictional or otherwise. *shrugs*

Gatita Pequeña

YES. In fourth and fifth grade I had a crush on Tobias from Animorphs, in sixth grade I had a crush on Koji from Digimon Frontier, in seventh grade it was Sasuke from Naruto (though I grew to hate him afterwards), in eighth grade it was Bakura from Yu-Gi-Oh, and in 9th grade it was Renji from Bleach. I think in tenth grade it was Russia from Hetalia. Now it might be America. (my girlfriend cosplays America so I think maybe that plays a factor in why I like him xD) ...and...well, before fourth grade Ash Ketchum was my freaking hero xD

EDIT: I don't mean these were legitimate "I have serious romantic feelings" crush. Just...crazed fangirl crush. If that makes sense.

Yeah, I've never had a crush on anyone/thing ever. But I also loved Tobias, Renji, Sasuke and America!

Well not really but I do get these weird squishes on famous people every once in a while. I never have sexual fantasies about them, just want to know them better, like family members or close friends.

One time I thought it would be cool to be the daughter of Lars of Metalica back when I was into that stuff and I would role play in my bedroom how that would be. My only celeberty crush was on Bono of U2....still facinated by him on several levels...one he is dark Irish, and so am I...two, he has a passion for human rights and uses his music to fund his activism, and there, he is aesthetically gorgeous, expecially in the "with or without you" video. I dont like his new look with those goofy glasses though, shoulda kept the long ponytail.

I dont read enough fiction to squish a fictional character, but if I did...it sounds like the kinda thing I would do.

Fictional characters are "safe" just like flirting with a very very gay man (I am female) or a priest. Its not going anywhere.

Jojo

gilnokoibito

Fictional characters (manga/anime) is about the only people I get real crushes on! XD

I mean, for goodness sake...my username actually means "lover of Gil" and he's in my avatar pic too! XD

Sure do. I have three: Daniel Jackson of Stargate SG-1, Spencer Reid of Criminal Minds, and Tom Hiddleston's Loki in The Avengers. I have fantasies of getting to know them and becoming friends with them (and getting the occasional hug ;) ). I research them, I collect images of them. These squishes can actually be pretty extreme when they first hit, and then usually settle down a few weeks or months later.

Gatita Pequeña

I supposed I should add maybe Patrick Jane from The Mentalist (though I know Jisbon is meant to be xD) and Iceman from X-Men, and Raj from The Big Bang Theory...he's so adorable. And I absolutely LOVE Sheldon. I want to be his roommate xD If I had to keep listing I would probably have to add Max from 2 Broke Girls and LIGHTS the singer. Once again, not really crushes, just OMFG I LOVE THEM SO MUCH ;A;

on that note...I have a facination crush on Abby of NCIS...she is soooo Wow!

For some reason, most the girls that I squish are goths, even though I am not goth myself. I guess I have a goth soul...Idk.

I used to try to be goth in high school when goth was just coming out, but mom would not let me get the needed clothes to pull it off. :mad:

If I did find a real goth attire, she would "accidently" pour bleach on it.

She told me that it was her job to cramp my style. :blink:

Jojo

I don't know that I've really crushed on any of them, but I've found many characters to be more attractive than real life guys. They do tend to be more idealised and less complicated or flawed. And when they do have flaws, they're usually the kind that are meant to make the character more appealing in one way or another. That said, Albert Silverberg (*points to avatar*) can teach me how to be a better chess player any day. :lol: :blush:

belovedless

I get strong obsessive crushes on fictional characters, which is why I wonder if I'm a little fictoromantic (not sexual, because I could never imagine myself having sex with any of the soon-to-be mentioned characters). I aesthetically adore a few characters from video games and the rare manga I read; I actually have crushes on some video game characters, and I fell hard aesthetically for a random male musician, which is odd because I'm a lesbian. It should be noted that these men are exclusively androgynous.

My top fictional character crush is Axel from Kingdom Hearts.

My musician crush is Die from the band Dir en Grey.

Look closely. They are very similar, haha.

Member47750

This is relevant to my interests(I was just looking to see if there was a topic like this)

I don't really know whether they would be classified as real crushes or just fangirl-ish glee, but yeah, I occasionally get swept up in these. I mean the 'symptoms' match what other people describe crushes to be like so yeah.

It's not even an aesthetic or romantic attraction, sometimes, (though I can appreciate that too), and I suspect it's just a result of building a character up in my mind. It grows from 'hey [character] is pretty cool' gradually up to '[character] is best ever and doesn't afraid of anything!'

99% of my crushes (whether they're squishes or actual crushes I don't know, still working that one out) are on fictional characters or celebrities.

Hermione Granger, John Watson from BBC Sherlock, Captain Jack Harkness from DW and Torchwood, Martin Crieff from Cabin Pressure and Benedict Cumberbatch, amongst others.

It's slightly sad.

sure

Tenoh Haruka from sailor moon

Oscar from BeruBara

Ran from hana no kishi

Son Goku from dragonball

and a lot of crushes on my fav actors :wub:

it's mostly aesthetics, personality attraction than anything else :wub:

cold_moon_rising

yes but only on novel characters so that my mind can construct them in the most wonderful and fantastical way without being inhibited by pictures. though I've been aesthetically attracted to anime or manga characters :P

I've been in love with a fictional character for the last 15 years; he helped me to survive the trauma of my upbringing and most of what came after that.

He's the main character of quite a number of novels, movies and musicals, at least one ballet and one ice skating show and over 1.5 million instances of fanfiction; 99.9% of that material is horrible beyond belief and I wish I had only ever heard of the first two novel renditions and two of the movies. Actually, I deeply loathe most versions and I will put you on my death list if you start drooling over Gerik in my presence.

belovedless

I had a huge crush on Michiru when I was younger!

Great Thief Yatagarasu

ALL THE DAMN TIME. Zelos Wilder is still my special hunny. :D

ForeverDoor

Yes, yes I do. I can crush hard, but more in the 'I'd like to spend time with this person'-kind of way.

Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds is my woobie.

And I about worship the ground Elizabeth Burke (White Collar) walks on. She's awesome in high heels, I love her.

I had a huge crush on Michiru when I was younger!

she is absolutely gorgeous

and I love them as a couple

my No1 fictional couple of all time actually :D

ThisAceWantsCake

I have a rather big squish (slight crush) on Sherlock Holmes from the BBC adaptation. Whenever he starts talking about his deductions, I don't know, I just always find myself on the edge of my seat listening to everything he says. I don't know what I love more - his voice or his brain (sapioromantic me again). :wub:

TravellingFay

Sure do. I have three: Daniel Jackson of Stargate SG-1, Spencer Reid of Criminal Minds, and Tom Hiddleston's Loki in The Avengers. I have fantasies of getting to know them and becoming friends with them (and getting the occasional hug ;) ). I research them, I collect images of them. These squishes can actually be pretty extreme when they first hit, and then usually settle down a few weeks or months later.

OH MY GOD I HAVE SO MANY LOKI FEELS!!!

Ahem. Yes. I'm rather a rabid fangirl, it must be said - oftentimes i fall in love with a show, or a pairing, or a character; Loki, as depicted in Branagh's Thor, is just utter catnip afaic. I'm a slasher too, although i happily read & write femmeslash, gen and occasionally het; i guess it's more a case of eschewing heteronormativity than anything, with my fannish tendancies. (I was delighted to find rather a lot of good ace fic in Sherlock fandom too.)

Yes. Most of the crushes I get (as in the I'm sexually attracted to you from the waist up kind of crush) are on real people. Mainly guys I went to school with or have worked with. Sometimes I get crushes on famous people, usually musicians (Oyvind Mustaparta and M.W. Gacy are my biggest ones).

Though sometimes I will develop a crush on a fictional character, such as on Toki Wartooth from Metalocalypse. I think he's very attractive for a cartoon character. Metalocalypse is simply the most aesthetically pleasing animated show I've ever seen, when it comes to the appearance of the characters. Hell, even Murderface, Dethklok's ugly, overweight bass player, is bearable when he has corpse paint on. However, I'll never find anything appealing about Dr. Rockzo. His junk outlining spandex body suit is nightmare fuel.

Why spend time using your emotions on fictional characters? There are many people in rl, who might benefit from such things that you could offer. If you feel true emotions toward anything/anyone, it already shows a valid tendency to such behavior involving emotions.

Archived