Proposal: Asexuality 201 group blog

Siggy

Posted on my tumblr.

We need to revitalize the asexual blogosphere. Based on my observation of other blogospheres, here’s how to do it: create an authoritative blog. This would be the blog that every asexual worth their salt needs to read, the monarch of the asexual blogosphere. I’m not just throwing this around as an idea, I will actually do this. I volunteer to spearhead it. And I want more volunteers to help run it.

Also, even if you’re not volunteering, I welcome suggestions for the blog title.

What this blog needs:

Consistency: Most blogs die in the first few months. We need a blog that can guarantee new content and good quality for a long period of time. I’m talking years. I’ve been blogging consistently for 5 years, so I am happy to help in this department.

Aggregation: We need someone who pays attention to news and the broader community, who will share the best and most important links with the rest of us. We need someone who can spot other good sites and bring them the attention they deserve. Preferably someone who is not me.

Informed perspectives: By its very nature, Asexuality 201 cannot be made of static content, it must be made of a multiplicity of views. Therefore, we need good writers (plural!) who know their stuff.

Therefore, we need volunteers that can aggregate links or write well. And maybe someone who knows how to bend Wordpress to their will (or some other blogging software).

So who wants to join me? E-mail me at skepticsplay at gmail dot com with the subject “Blogger application”. In your application, please give me a reason to think you would be a good fit for the blog I’ve described. Tell me what other stuff you’ve done too. If you want to write, give me a writing sample. I’ll arbitrarily set the deadline at July 20th.

I want to be selective about volunteers. If I am not satisfied with the volunteers I get, I will drop this project.

Update 1: To clarify, I’m proposing a single blog with a handful of writers. The topic is anything related to asexuality, except for asexuality 101. Beyond that, writers choose what to write about.

Update 2: People expressed interest in being occasional contributors. Sounds like a fine idea to me!

I'd be willing to help out with this blog, if that's what you want. What would it entail, exactly?

If you want to contribute to the views and perspectives, it entails writing. There are also some roles which would not be writing-intensive, like collecting links, or helping with controlling Wordpress. All contributors should expect to do a lot of correspondence.

kitchenwitch

I'm willing to write things for this.

And, I agree, that it is exactly what our blogosphere needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Just one last update before the blog launches.

I said tomorrow is the deadline, but what I really meant was tomorrow noon PDT or something. I don’t reward procrastination!

If you’re one of those people who expressed some vague interest in contributing… it’s now or never! I won’t consider you unless you actually take the initiative to send me that e-mail application. Initiative is a highly desirable quality.

If you sent me an e-mail and did not get any reply, I did not receive it.

The blog will probably launch some time over the weekend, depending on how organized we are. The tentative title is Team Cake.

Please let us know the link to the blog when it is created, I'll follow you :)

Cross-posting this on announcements.

We've launched a new group blog, The Asexual Agenda. It provides news and views beyond the 101 level for people on the asexual spectrum. It will also serve as a place for discussion, and a portal to other asexual blogs.

Contributors include me, Lord Happy Toast, Sciatrix, beyondweird (Jenni from HPoA), and more. I hope you like it!

• 3 weeks later...

Oooh, I was away from the interwebs for awhile so I missed this being set up, but it looks amazing so far! Big thanks to Siggy for setting this up, and to everyone involved - Awesome job!

Archived