What counts as sexual attraction?

Skippy Squirrel

Skippy Squirrel

From the FAQ:

The definition of asexuality is "someone who does not experience sexual attraction."

However, I am confused as to what counts as sexual attraction. I guess the best way to put it would be like this:

A - person finds the body form of a particular sex arousing ...

B - person finds a specific body type of a particular sex arousing ...

C - person finds a specific person arousing ...

1 - ... and does not wish to have sexual contact or sexual intercourse based on this arousal.

2 - ... and wishes to have sexual contact but not sexual intercourse based on this arousal.

3 - ... and wishes to have sexual contact and sexual intercourse based on this arousal.

There are nine possible combinations of statement halves: A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3, C1, C2 and C3. For the purposes of the given definition of asexuality, which of those pairings count as sexual attraction and which ones don't?

The Great WTF

You might find this threaduseful. It's got a lot of description and discussion of what sexual attraction is.

Beachwalker

Hi Insane, I'm sorry I can't help, I haven't figured it out myself yet but one thought is sexual attraction is arousal from anything except manual stimulation irregardless of what you want to do based on it. However it remains undefined and can be or not be whatever you like. Sorry I don't mean to add to your confusion. The common denominator for asexuals though seems to be a lack of desire for partnered sex, which is what I have been basing my asexuality on as I don't know what sexual attraction is.

Hi Insane, I'm sorry I can't help, I haven't figured it out myself yet but one thought is sexual attraction is arousal from anything except manual stimulation irregardless of what you want to do based on it. However it remains undefined and can be or not be whatever you like. Sorry I don't mean to add to your confusion. The common denominator for asexuals though seems to be a lack of desire for partnered sex, which is what I have been basing my asexuality on as I don't know what sexual attraction is.

I also agree with this assessment. I do not experience any of your above mentioned combinations (this is not to say I don't notice good looking people, I do not experience a corresponding arousal with it). I am not an asexual, I am sexual.

Beachy describes the asexual experience in the same way I view it best (I have been married to an asexual for 26 years). My husband believes it is quite possible to experience sexual attraction (that is notice someone as sexually appealing resulting in arousal) and have no real desire to direct sexual feelings towards that person or to that end...as Beachy said, have no desire for partnered sex.

C2? Oh, dang. You sank my battleship! :)

. My husband believes it is quite possible to experience sexual attraction (that is notice someone as sexually appealing resulting in arousal) and have no real desire to direct sexual feelings towards that person or to that end...as Beachy said, have no desire for partnered sex.

LG, I hope you don't take this wrong; it's a sincere question. You've often in other threads described what your husband thinks/believes/feels. Why doesn't he come onto AVEN and talk for himself? He's an asexual and could certainly contribute as such without having his position conveyed by another person.

Skippy Squirrel
I also agree with this assessment. I do not experience any of your above mentioned combinations (this is not to say I don't notice good looking people, I do not experience a corresponding arousal with it). I am not an asexual, I am sexual.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say those nine combinations are the only possible statements you can have regarding sexual attraction. It's just that the confusion I'm currently having is in that area.

C2? Oh, dang. You sank my battleship! :)

Battleship? I thought we were playing Connect 4! :P

. My husband believes it is quite possible to experience sexual attraction (that is notice someone as sexually appealing resulting in arousal) and have no real desire to direct sexual feelings towards that person or to that end...as Beachy said, have no desire for partnered sex.

LG, I hope you don't take this wrong; it's a sincere question. You've often in other threads described what your husband thinks/believes/feels. Why doesn't he come onto AVEN and talk for himself? He's an asexual and could certainly contribute as such without having his position conveyed by another person.

I didn't think it was possible to be honest, but he may have decided to do just that.

I didn't take it wrong, thanks for asking.