Pap smears and other gynaecological concerns

Iamala

Another lost one

I still can't help but be disturbed and shaken up about the whole blackmail thing though. Especially since its apparently prevalent. ;;

But hurrah for Planned Parenthood!

So, I had to browse for this topic because I had my first pap in 15 years today. When I had the last one, I was sexually active. I am not anymore.

What I came to this thread to say was HOLY F_CK, the PAIN. It was like having slow sexual relations with a cactus. There was blood. She put plenty of medical lube on the speculum and all that (and then switched to a smaller speculum), but explained that because I am not sexually active, stuff is tight and not stretchy. Therefore the speculum sort of ripped me apart inside, and that's why I was in horrible pain. I found myself wishing I'd had sex recently, if that would have helped... Suddenly, I can understand all the people on here that hate it and don't want it done. (sigh). She said everything looks normal, but still, ouch. I guess the stuff about it being larger/stretchier when you use it for sexual reasons is true. My first pap didn't hurt, it was just a vaguely uncomfortable feeling of having a weird, cold, wet instrument shoved in there.

The receipt paper i got said "annual gyno exam." I was reading this when I left the building, and I was like "lol, no" at the "annual" part. I seriously thought some people on this site were either exaggerating the discomfort, or the only people writing about paps were the ones with vaginismus, and anything hurt. Nope. Nothing larger than a tampon has been in me in over a decade. The speculum is made for people who use their parts more than I do.

so-much-random

Oh my god Amy I can relate! I had my first pap test years ago and what I remember is that it was the worst pain I've EVER felt. UGHHH. And it was the small speculum too! I'm not sexually active so that would explain it I guess. I was embarassed that it hurt that bad (she actually had to tell me to take deep breaths cause I was freaking out) but holy crap I did not see that coming! I never want to go back.

Yeah, and then she tells me to relax over and over. I would relax if it didn't feel like she was ripping my guts out. ^_^ At first I was like "ow ow ow" and then she changed speculums, and then I just made awful faces and tensed up for a while.

So now you can count me among the people with a speculum-phobia. I usually have a high tolerance for pain, but that tolerance does not extend to my vagina, apparently. I'd prefer that everyone just stay the hell away from my vagina with their strange instruments.

Yeah, and then she tells me to relax over and over. I would relax if it didn't feel like she was ripping my guts out. ^_^ At first I was like "ow ow ow" and then she changed speculums, and then I just made awful faces and tensed up for a while.

So now you can count me among the people with a speculum-phobia. I usually have a high tolerance for pain, but that tolerance does not extend to my vagina, apparently. I'd prefer that everyone just stay the hell away from my vagina with their strange instruments.

OMG! :o Why donĀ“t those cursed gyneacologists use anaesthetics!?

I don't think my two cents will really matter or help anyone, but for what it might be worth -

This is a topic that has caused me severe angst in the past, especially as a teenager. But when it comes down to it, I think that if someone feels like they should have such a test done, it should be their call and no one else's. I don't think it's ever a good idea to go simply because someone is bullying you into it or making you feel like you have to. I'm 21, have never been, and I don't plan on going unless I deem it necessary, not because Doctor [Name Here] says so. It is, however, a bit disturbing to think that people will submit to sedation in order to have the test done. If it causes you such intense pain/anxiety/whatever that you would have to be drugged for the procedure, what does that tell you? And to be honest, so what if the medical community swears up and down that it's something that MUST be done at x age, x times a year? If doctors were telling you that you had to have your appendix removed because it's possible you'll have an appendicitis one day, even though the risk is very low, would you do it?

I think it's most important to listen to yourself and make your own decisions based on what you think is right instead of letting other people, strangers even, make decisions for you, especially if you don't agree with what they're telling you or if it makes you upset.

OMG! :o Why donĀ“t those cursed gyneacologists use anaesthetics!?

Well, i'm guessing because it's not supposed to hurt? or not supposed to hurt that much. They blamed it on my not being sexually active, but when I talked to my friend later that day, she said it's horrible for her, and she has 3 children and is sexually active. I'm guessing the speculums are just too friggin large.. I mean, there has to be a better way to just painlessly look around in the area of the cervix.

Also, I didn't go to a gynecologist. I went to my general practitioner for a physical and they talked me into doing a pap, too.

so-much-random

Yeah, I don't know how they expect anyone to relax with that going on! I wish they would use smaller tools...

cleuchtturm

Yeah, I don't know how they expect anyone to relax with that going on! I wish they would use smaller tools...

Why don't they just use the things they do for colonoscopies? Seriously.

I had a colonoscopy last year. They put me under general anesthesia, but when I woke up, there was certainly no pain or blood, and i know the scope thing is on the small side. TMI part: I do use tampons, but anything larger (even the super absorbency tampons) hurt, and I just absolutely don't want anything bigger than that up in there. The nurse claimed it was not being sexually active, and I remember I had one around 1997 and it did not hurt (was just unfortable) and I was having sex then, but not even often. And my friend with 3 kids says it hurts her, too. I dunno. I'm not doing this again, hurt way too much.

My guess is that using a colonoscopy-type scope would cost more because it involves more specialized equipment and monitors and cameras and such, whereas a speculum and a light used for visual inspection of the cervix is much cheaper, low-tech, therefore more widespread.

Still, if anyone mentions speculums now, I instinctively cross my legs.

cleuchtturm

My guess is that using a colonoscopy-type scope would cost more because it involves more specialized equipment and monitors and cameras and such, whereas a speculum and a light used for visual inspection of the cervix is much cheaper, low-tech, therefore more widespread.

If I ever come into money, I'm donating a bunch to gynos everywhere.

RosettaAce

I've never had a pap, but I have been asked repeatedly if I was pregnant when getting x-rays:

ME (in horrible pain from a knee dislocation and they're having me hold said knee at a very weird angle): How long to I have to stay like this?

TECH: Just a few seconds, is there any chance you could be pregnant?

ME: You already asked me that. No

TECH: You're sure?

ME: (gritting my teeth through the pain) Yes I'm sure!

TECH: When was your last period?

ME: Like a week ago! This really hurts...

TECH: When were you last sexually act --

ME: I'VE NEVER HAD SEX, TAKE THE G*DDAMNED X-RAY!!!!

TECH: :blink: Oh.

I'm a 22 year old repulsed Ace and I knooow they're going to start pestering me and I'm terrified. I have ovarian cysts, but only took BC for six months when I was a teenager. It made me violently ill. Just thinking about a smear makes me start to panic, it's so awful.

I know it's important, but that's waaay too much trauma.

DreadfulStar

After reading this, I'm glad in only 15.

I had to go to several doctors after another because I had severe light headed ness, dizziness, a heart rate of over 110, and a blood sugar level deficiency problem( which isn't diabetes).

The meeting with the doctor would result in the are you pregnant question. Two of which actually handed me a birth testing thingy ( what are those called?). I was horrified at the gesture at first and nearly screamed " I'm a frickin thirteen year old! And a virgin!" oh wait I did yell that. The question stopped after one decided to put that in the notes.

Does that count for a doctor moment?

Strangelove

Whenever I go to give blood and the nurse takes me through the health questions, when she gets to "Is there any chance you could be pregnant?" I like to laugh it off with "Oh, the chance would be a fine thing!". The last time I did that, the nurse blushed to the roots and said, "Well, we do have to ask :-)".

truthseeker30

The problem for the medics is that a lot of drugs shouldn't be given in pregnancy and X-rays can also be harmful to the foetus. So the safe thing to do is to ask or pregnancy test everyone where it might affect the investigations or treatment involved.

Yes, that's going to cause some of us embarrassment, but we're in the minority. Does make me glad I'm a guy though!

I don't want to make generalizations but I imagine us asexuals hate pap tests more than "sexuals...." I'm nost sure. We probably hate them all the same. But what I DO want to know is how many people here are not extremely bothered by them? TEACH ME!

I went for one today and was bent over for like 5 minutes before I could put my clothes on and walk out of the office. All I could keep thinking was... "Sex must really suck!"

Anybody else? Questions? Opinions?... Please.

T.

significantlysilent

I didn't have to get one yet...and I'm not going to. I have enough issues with things like a swim suit by myself in a room, let alone naked with other people. I will just love the moment they try to tell me it is required in a few years. <_< If I'm not having sex...I'm not getting it done. Period. I read somewhere there are self-tests you can do at home that are like 90% true or such. I'm going to look more into that when the time is closer.

I have no problem taking my pants off and lying there spread-eagle, but last time when they opened the speculum it felt like I was having sexual relations with a cactus and there was blood involved. I felt like I was being ripped open. I'm somewhat traumatized still.

My first one, however, around 1997, did not hurt at all. I dunno if what the speculum, the nurse, or WTF this time. I'm not making plans to have another any time soon.

I have no idea how people manage to have babies come out of there, if a friggin speculum stretching stuff hurts that bad. Maybe I am just a wuss. I don't know.

Midnight Lady

Well, maybe, my experience might help? I look at it as a way to take care of my body (and I like to take care of my self on all levels - including the body part). Sometimes, for something good, people might need to go through unpleasant experiences with various degrees. But the outcomes are totally positive (eg. rough massages, vaccination, surgery). The positive outcome of paps: an opportunity to catch harmful and pathological changes in the body (and "down there" is still the part of the body), since prevention is ways better than treatments... So... I hope my view of this was helpful. :)

I didn't have to get one yet...and I'm not going to. I have enough issues with things like a swim suit by myself in a room, let alone naked with other people. I will just love the moment they try to tell me it is required in a few years. <_< If I'm not having sex...I'm not getting it done. Period. I read somewhere there are self-tests you can do at home that are like 90% true or such. I'm going to look more into that when the time is closer.

Ahhh I know, I know. He doesn't use the big clamp looking thing for me because he knows I'm a virgin. But did you notice what I just said?! Not only does it suck, my gyno is a MAN.

Awkward.

Well, maybe, my experience might help? I look at it as a way to take care of my body (and I like to take care of my self on all levels - including the body part). Sometimes, for something good, people might need to go through unpleasant experiences with various degrees. But the outcomes are totally positive (eg. rough massages, vaccination, surgery). The positive outcome of paps: an opportunity to catch harmful and pathological changes in the body (and "down there" is still the part of the body), since prevention is ways better than treatments... So... I hope my view of this was helpful. :)

You're completely right. I would just like to avoid the pain.

I had to have quite a few pelvic exams before my surgery, so I kinda got used to it.

However, when the doc says, "this might tickle a bit" while inserting a Q-Tip as long as my arm, I call BULLSHIT!!! It hurts! Things like that aren't supposed to touch the insides of a human! :blink:

I've only had one and while I certainly didn't enjoy it (it did hurt a little - felt kind of like having a momentary period cramp), it wasn't awkward at all. The lady who did it was very professional, casually saying "you're the fifth person I've done this to today", as I lay down on the bed.

Also, as CBC.Radio.Girl said - (sorry, I can't be bothered to go back and insert a quote) - PAP tests do NOT feel anything like sex! ...[POSSIBLE TMI WARNING]: I think the reason the test hurt for me was because the speculum they used was HUGE - far bigger than any penis I've ever encountered... :wacko:

Also, as CBC.Radio.Girl said - (sorry, I can't be bothered to go back and insert a quote) - PAP tests do NOT feel anything like sex! ...[POSSIBLE TMI WARNING]: I think the reason the test hurt for me was because the speculum they used was HUGE - far bigger than any penis I've ever encountered... :wacko:

Yeah... they get pretty click-happy with those speculums. Not cool.

I've only had one, and it really wasn't that bad. The doctor was very professional and quick. And while it hurts when the speculum is first opened, it doesn't hurt before or after. It was a sharp pain that made me say "ow", but that was it. It was all over in less than a minute.

My mum insists that I need to have one every two years rather than "every two or three" as my doctors have said, but that's just her worrying about me. But I don't think every two years is all that bad, so I'll probably just go with it.

Lost On Purpose

I've had Pap tests that hurt, and others that were only mildly uncomfortable. My current gynecologist knows I'm a virgin and uses a small speculum. She's also the one who told me I only needed to submit to the Pap test portion of the exam every 3 years. She suggests taking ibuprofen or other OTC pain reliever 30 minutes before the appointment to prevent any pain. Also, the more you relax, the easier it is (I know, not as easy as it sounds). Try requesting the doctor (or nurse) use a small, or junior, speculum, if they haven't already thought of it.

No offense against men here, I try not to generalize, but male gynecologists have a tendency not to be as gentle, perhaps? They don't have the personal experience because they don't have the anatomy. (not saying a male doctor can't be sensitive to these things, I've just never met one who was) My worst experience was with a male gynecologist who not only made for a somewhat painful experience, but then actually laughed at me when I asked about treating my PMS -- while in the stirrups. His nurse looked at me like she was embarrassed to be associated with him. I transferred my care to someone else after that.

Whether you get the test done or not is a personal choice, but keep in mind it is a cancer screening test. It also catches other infections and problems, as well. I know the chances of getting cervical cancer are really small if you've never had sex, but not zero. If you refuse the Pap altogether, please, please, please at least consider getting the rest of the exam anyway. The breast exam is only mildly invasive (personal-space wise, but not painful in the least) and a bi-manual exam (there are fingers going places, but it's not that speculum, so it's not that bad) are going to detect other problems that have nothing to do with whether or not you've had sex. Including breast cancer.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone -- not my intention. I just feel really strongly about women taking charge of their own health. (I am equally adamant about men getting prostate exams too, if that makes anyone feel any better.)

significantlysilent

Thank you. :) I was wondering what they were called (in reference to the second alternative). :P

Sleeping Elf

I attended a Well Woman Clinic today was offered the smear test but told the doctor that I was virgin and she said that that if I didn't want the test that was fine the chances of having any problems was very rare if you had never been sexually active. So I chose not to have it.

Archived